Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 45 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:46 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:45 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:45 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:14 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:12 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:51 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What was happening in comics during your 'Golden Age'?
#478772 07/16/03 08:56 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Just 'cause I'm bored, here are some more memories from my golden age, ca. 1973-74:

LUKE CAGE: HERO FOR HIRE: My first exposure to blaxcomix (the comics equivalent of blaxploitation films). The first issue I read featured a villain called Chemistro, who was dumb enough to turn his own foot into glass, then watch as it disintegrated. About a year later, I picked up Luke Cage's battle with the original Power Man over ownership of that name. Sweet Chris'mas!

THOR: He was teaming up with a weird-looking guy named Mercurio, who was red on one side and blue on the other and who had both fire and ice powers. They were trying to free Sif and someone else from being trapped inside a living jewell mountain. I loved the Starjammer, a viking ship that carried the Asgardians through space.

FLASH: My brother was never a comics fan, but he picked up the first issue of Flash that I read. It featured two nifty villains, The Top and Mirror Master. Of special note was MM breaking out of jail by polishing his shoes, then holding them up on either side of his head. The shoes contained some sort of dimensional warp gadgetry that teleported him away.

AVENGERS (again): After the Defenders crossover, there was a multi-part story featuring a crime cartel called Zodiac. They were the weirdest and most dangerous-looking villans I'd seen. Still, I was relieved when my sign (Libra) turned out to be not be such a bad guy and was in fact the father of Mantis, an Avenger. I always thought Zodiac were the coolest villains, yet they were never seen again as a major threat, or at least not as a complete team. Two members of Zodiac did subsequently appear as solo villains:

~ Aquarius, in GHOST RIDER, had made a deal with the devil to gain the powers of all 12 members. (Word to the wise: Don't EVER make a deal with the devil.)

~ Aries appeared in CAPTAIN AMERICA. He was transformed by the alien Lucifer into a second Lucifer. Neither he nor Aquarius survived their solo outtings as villains.

A new version of Zodiac, consisting of Life Model Decoys (a form of android) appeared in DEFENDERS later on, but they were a big letdown.

DEFENDERS consisted of an expanded team of Dr. Strange, Valkyrie, Hulk, Sub-Mariner, Hawkeye and The Silver Surfer when I began reading it. But the team soon paired down to a core of Doc, Val, Hulk and newcomer Nighthawk (ex-Squadron Sinister). Guest heroes included The Son of Satan, Yellowjacket and Luke Cage. Then things turned strange during writer Steve Gerber's run. (Gerber invented Howard the Duck, after all). He even had an elf with a gun going around zapping people! One story title from this period stands out and sums it all up: "We're All Bozos In This Book."

JLA (again): Immediately after the JSA/Freedom Fighters storyline, Hawkman quit the team. This caused a furor among fans and a letter-writing campaign to get old Katar Hol reinstated. I wrote my first letter to a comic book about that very subject. I was naive enough to think it would be published in the next issue. It never appeared.

PREZ: One of DC's campiest comics, it featured America's first teen-aged president. His national security advisor (I think) was a young Native American, complete in ceremonial outfit. In the fourth and final issue, a legless vampire stalked the White House. (No, I'm not making this up.)

WONDER WOMAN: As a boy, I wasn't too interested in reading a "girl's" comic, but I did check out several issues of this title which featured the JLA as guests. Wonder Woman wanted to be reinstated in the League, but didn't know if she still had what it took. So, she asked the League to send her on 12 trials, a la Hercules. Each issue featured a different JLA member "supervising" her progress.

THE BRAVE & THE BOLD: Each issue featured Batman teaming up with a different co-star. I first encountered The Spectre, Wildcat, and Mister Miracle thanks to B&B. The best part was, if Batman's co-star didn't look interesting, you could skip the issue and not miss a thing.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#478773 07/04/06 09:30 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Welcome to the Titans, Terra.

#478774 07/05/06 12:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
BAT books- "Knightfall" was going on. Bane was stalking the Bat. This story got me into comics.

GREEN ARROW- "Crossroads" was the story, Ollie was walking the line between hero and vigilante (killing crooks.) This was around the time DC was tearing down all it's heroes. Supes died, Bats crippled, etc.

GREEN LANTERN- Jordan insane and Kyle Rayner puts on the ring. Sorry H.E.A.T, I liked "Emerald Twilight" and beyond.

WONDER WOMAN- Messner-Loebs & Deodata took away Diana's title and replaced her with Artemis. Man I miss this team.

HAWKMAN- Katar Hol and Shayera Thal. Say what you want about the Hawk mess, these were some good stories.

X-FORCE- Leifeld had just left and Nicezeamaneiouiosyufa (sp) was making this a damn good read.

NINJAK- Some guy name Quesada drew a pretty fun book.

Just spouting off.
#478775 07/05/06 05:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Stern/Buscema on Avengers.

Simonson on Thor.

Levitz/Giffen on Legion.

Wolfman/Perez on Teen Titans.

Stern/Paul Smith on Dr. Strange.

Stern on Spider-Man.

Claremont/Byrne, Cokcrum, Paul Smith, JRJR on Uncanny.

Miller on DD.

Late seventies early eighties is my favorite "era" in comics. Early eighties for sure!

MLLASH #890222 03/12/16 02:06 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by MLLASH
THE AVENGERS-- Cockrum was drawing some kick-ASS Giant-Size Avengers issues-- the issue where Swordsman, Hawkeye and Rama-Tut face off against Iron Man, the Vision and Thor was a favorite. Mantis, Vision and Scarlet Witch were my favorite characters (it was actually Wanda who defeated Thor). Perez began his run; I was first exposed to the SQUADRON SUPREME; Hellcat was intro'd and became a fast favorite.

I love this era of Avengers, too. It's what I consider the 2nd of my 4 Golden Ages of the Avengers.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,132
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star