Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/22/24 07:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/22/24 06:24 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 06:08 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/22/24 05:54 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 05:36 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 05:33 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 05:33 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 05:31 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: BRIGHTEST DAY
#503591 06/28/10 01:23 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Personally, one of the reasons why I dropped this besides my protest in the pirsuit of bringing back Lian Harper is the use of "big names". Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, the "original" Firestorm, and the waste of potential in the cases of Kendra Saunders, Jason Rusch, the Aquaman who was introduced after One Year Later. It's reasons like that, by spending their resurrection machine's energy on the A names, that characters like Lian, Linda Danvers (even if she's not dead), and so many other are consigned to Limbo until they need to flush out a new gimmic five years after people have stopped caring. And the cycle will start all over.
While I myself am not a fan of Lian Harper (although I do love Jason Rusch and Kendra Saunders) it was completely ridiculous to kill her off. It didn't add any depth to the storyline, if anything it was the final straw.

I did appreciate Lian's presence because it made Roy into a relatable character, a single parent who had it all under control, it's refreshing for a comic book series. Also, the timing was just terrible what with younger heroes beginning to pop up... Damian Wayne, Iris West, it could've been the making of the new Young Justice.

#503592 06/28/10 01:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I hadn't become a fan of Roy OR Lian until after Cry for Justice ended, when someone started the movement on facebook and I realized, with disgust, how blind I've been to the horrible treatment the Titans have had, and that by spending my money I was saying it was okay.

Now Roy's become DC's Punisher and to make things worse he was goaded into killing somebody by a corpse-like hallucination of his daughter telling him to gut the guy like a pig.

#503593 07/17/10 11:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Huh. Did you guys know that the Hope Entity, Adara, shares the same name as a deceased Green Lantern?

http://www.comicvine.com/adara/29-50773/

#503594 07/21/10 01:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I.E. Brightest Day #6:

What the hell, Johns?! What the hell?! I don't care if he did create M'gann what the hell?!

#503595 07/24/10 11:59 AM
Active
Active
She's seen better days... poor M'gann. Maybe it looks worse than it actually is?

Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/
#503596 07/26/10 02:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
She can't be easier to kill than J'onn.

And we know she's not REALLY dead.

[Linked Image]

Just spouting off.
#503597 07/26/10 03:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^Hm? I thought Cassie was gonna be in this one?!?! Is that the new Aqualad on the right foreground? Thought he had dark hair?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#503598 07/26/10 05:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's Aqualad, yes.

I haven't seen Cassie mentioned in any of the recent articles I've read on the cartoon.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#503599 07/26/10 05:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's not that she's "dead".

Another Titan forced to go through a round of ultra violence and torture. Not that this isn't Megan's first time.

#503600 07/29/10 11:31 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Catching up on Blackest Night #4 and #5, my main thoughts are: I’m still very interested in this series and the storylines, but I think I’m going to need quite a bit more ‘meat’ per issue from this point onwards. Based on interviews, it appears the series is going that way, but I need the story to get there—and fast. In particular, the Firestorm story needs a boost, and I realize I haven’t seen Martian Manhunter in two issues, and actually don’t care at all.

That being said, I’m enjoying some of the things we’ve seen so far. In particular, the Mera revelation at the end of #5 was a good one. This looks like more of what Johns has been able to do with GL: take undefined and vague parts of the characters lore (usually Silver Age lore) and add some more layers to it that help further refine the character’s mythos and personalities. I hope he does this quite a bit more with Aquaman (and knowing Geoff, I’m confident he won’t trash anything PAD did with the mythos, which I hold very dear).

I also am liking that we’re seeing more Hawk & Dove in the Deadman story, as I feel we’ve hardly seen them. To be honest, I like the concept of Hawk & Dove, but find little appealing about either character. In other words, they are more welcome additions to furthering the plot, while I could care less if anything happens to them. I hope that changes here and in BOP.

Haven't read #6 yet (I'm not if I even have it yet).

#503601 07/29/10 05:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I did read #6 and I can see where SK's annoyance is coming from. The super-violence in the Martian Manhunter storing is distracting and bordering on farce. It's beyond annoying. It took me totally out of the whole issue.

#503602 07/29/10 06:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thank you.

#503603 07/29/10 06:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Have not gotten 6 yet, but from what I've heard...I'm not going to. The ultra violence is too over the top at this point in this book...

Ah well...JLI:GL is still fun reading.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#503604 07/29/10 06:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I did not see that happening with Power Girl.

#503605 07/31/10 01:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Still reading and enjoying Brightest Day. I think my favourite stoylines at the moment are Aquaman, Martian Manhunter (minus the violence) and Deadman/Hawk & Dove.

Though I am loving the Jason/Ronnie Firestorm dynamic (minus all the references to Ronnie being a hard-partying drinker - HELLO!?! He's a recovering alcoholic. Not that I liked that old storyline very much mind you.) and feel that that portion is just about to kick-start into another gear. And the Hawkman/Hawkgirl subplot took another interesting turn with those weird lion and hawk people turning up. I hope, hope, hope we get a mention/reference to Lionmane somewhere in here.

The art is still uniformly excellent but is it just me or did it look slightly more unpolished in this latest issue compared to others? I wonder if the deadline is catching up on some of them?

Gripes -

* I still hate J'onn's black pants look. So ugly and boring. I heard someone or other say at Comicon that they argued long and hard about whether to keep him in shorts or not. Well, they came out with the wrong decision IMO. His colour scheme is all off now I think. His old look was a classic IMO. There was no need to change it.

* The violence is not necessary. I hope we don't see any more of it.

* ummm... can't think of any more right now.

Looking forward to the next issue because I still have no idea where this series is going, and that excites me about it.

#503606 07/31/10 07:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
When I mentioned in the Flash thread about this book showing what is srong with comics nowadays, I'm specifically talkeing about the unneeded ultra violent images in this book.

Seeing humans skinned alive, being shown their bodies, then showing it happen again in the course of 5 issues is just over the top and trumps any good story telling they may be doing here.

Maybe part of my personal issue with it is I'm looking at comics more with the thought of what I could hand my 9 year old to read. She loves comics, but there is no way that I;d give BD to read.

The Atom, The Flash are perfect examples of books that I will let her read (thus far) in the near future.

I am not a prude when it comes to violence as nothing much can really honestly bothers me in comics if used in some context that makes sense. I just do not think that mainstream hero comics that are really ainmed for all ages...I at her age could pick up just about any Marvel/DC book without an issue, is the place for it.

Marvel <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Ares getting ripped in half on panel</span></span> (spoiler just in case.) or DC's use of it here in these stories.

DC has other lines (Wildstorm and Vertigo) and Marvel had their Max and Icon lines to showcase those stories.

#503607 07/31/10 09:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I completely agree with you on the ultra-violence point Dev Em. I'm no prude either, far from it, and I don't even have any little kids to worry about - it just flat out doesn't belong. If a reader wants to see graphic ultra-violence then they should look to Vertigo or another company. And if DC wants to start producing it then they should start planning for their irrelevancy sooner than later - because bright colourful heroes and all the rapey-torturey-dismembermenty "fun" they've got going on in some of their books are totally incompatible as far as I'm concerned.

My other big gripe is with "bad language". Levitz' use of "bitch" in the latest issue of LSH really threw me - and that's not even that bad of a word. But it just seemed totally jarring and out of place. And most of all - unnecessary. There were a hundred other words Brainy could have used there. Why did Paul choose that one? To shock the reader? Realism? If it was meant to shock it was a pointlessly bad one and I'm sorry, but I do not come to my LSH comics for realism.

I've noticed it in a few other superhero comics lately too and I find it just as annoying there as well.

#503608 08/02/10 08:38 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree with you both. When its over the top like this it just makes the comics seem immature and written by college freshmen. It's annoying and takes me out of the story because its in conflict with the nature of the sueprhero genre and often is just played up for shock value.

Thus far, I'm not 100% committed to Brightest Day because of that reason. Even though I like quite a bit of what's going on, if I get annoyed enough one more time, I'll eliminate this series entirely from my pull list and save on two issues a month.

And I totally agree on some of the language. It just seems so childish that it's creating the opposite effect of being 'adult'.

#503609 08/02/10 02:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Why can't today's comics be more like Animaniacs or Courage the Cowardly Dog. Enjoyable and understandable for everyone.

#503610 08/02/10 03:11 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think that's true of entertainment generally these days. Most things seem to be either "kid-friendly", but that usually means dumbed down, or to be so "adult-oriented" as to be competely inappropriate for kids.

#503611 08/02/10 09:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Except Phineas and Ferb.

#503612 08/03/10 08:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I think that's true of entertainment generally these days. Most things seem to be either "kid-friendly", but that usually means dumbed down, or to be so "adult-oriented" as to be competely inappropriate for kids.
Yea, it's not just comics that have matured, it's all forms of entertainment. To be fair, the audience expects more mature entertainment too. We don't read/watch comics/tv shows that have that more innocent material. It's why books like Tiny Titans don't last long, why Archie comics aren't in the Top 10.

Brightest Day is not a book for someone in primary school. Most of DC's line is written for readers old enough to drive. You want comics for a younger crowd, buy Supergirl's Adventures in the 8th grade, buy Boom's Muppets book. There are comics out there, they just aren't all at DC/Marvel.

Just spouting off.
#503613 08/04/10 06:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">So, we learn why these twelve were brought back in BD #7.

*Hawkman: Stop Hawkworld's queen from invading Earth.
*Hawkgirl: Stop Hawkman from being killed in Hawkworld by Hath-Set, or he won't be resurrected.
*Martian Manhunter: Burn the Star City forest. Burn it all.
*Ronnie Raymond: He and Jason must learn from each other, and stop Black Lantern Firestorm from getting the White Lantern.
*Aquaman: Get to the new Aqualad before "they" do.
*Osiris: Bring back Isis.
*Maxwell Lord: Kill Magog before he plunges the world into war.
*Jade: Balance the darkness.
*Reverse Flash: He already brought Barry Allen out of the Speed Force, so he's good.
*Captain Boomerang: Throw the boomerang at Dove.
*Hawk: Catch the boomerang.
*Deadman: Find a new protector of Earth before the Entity dies. </span></span>

#503614 08/04/10 06:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks Sarky...and I'm out of this one. Peace...

#503615 08/04/10 06:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah, it's kinda weird that an entity of life would want somebody killed.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,580
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Luck Lad
Luck Lad
Vancouver, BC
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star