Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Birds of Prey
#509675 05/13/10 11:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So the new BOP hit stands this week. The art is beautiful, but that's no surprise. I like Dinah's cape/coat look. I don't like Helena's hot pants, but ok. The bitty bios summing up our cast (that seem to be all the rage at DC) are a nice treat.

Black Canary is back and beating bad guys senseless. Zinda as her sidekick? Love that idea.

Oracle is getting the band back together. (Loved the reference,a nd even more, Zinda's ingorance of it!!)

Huntress is here. Her little breakdown, mirroring Dinah's, was almost a reflection of my own. I'm glad this book is back. (By the by, the description of her as an exxcellent marksman- don't know why, but it really tickled my fancy.)

Hawk and Dove waste no time making themselves part of the cotry. And I'm already intrigued.

Add to that callbacks to Spymaster and Savant, throw in a White (Jade?) Canary and I'm hooked.

Just spouting off.
#509676 05/15/10 07:31 PM
Active
Active
I don't get my comics fix till next Friday (end of the work week before the long weekend-yep, we get Victoria Holiday). Looking forward to the return of The Birds and Legion #1!!!
Will I be at a disadvantage because I haven't picked up any of the Song of New Krypton, Action or Adventure Legion tie-ins?

#509677 05/15/10 08:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This was a good issue and I'll be back for #2 but is anyone else as tired as I am of children being kidnapped and children about to be raped and children about to be murdered and children forced to work as prostitutes and children being abused and so on in their comics?

'Harming children' seems to be the new 'robbing banks'! Why do writers think it's something we readers want to read about? I certainly don't.

Fortunately, that element was only a small part of this issue, but added to all the other comics I've read it in recently it was enough to annoy me.

Benes' art was a lot better than I remembered it being too. Seems like he's toned down the T&A a bit which is a great relief. The inker and colourist did a great job too.

#509678 05/15/10 09:11 PM
Leader
Leader
The other year, I wrote a story involving some "children". 2 brothers were trying to start a gang, and tried to beat up 2 other brothers who tried to stop them. It led to all sort of frightful complications for the parents later on. And, later on, one of the "good" kids had a run-in with an "indestructible serial killer" armed with a machete. Luckily he'd been taught by his Dad how to use an automatic pistol. Just like The Lone Ranger, SHOT the knife right out of the killer's hand!

I may have been inspired in part by Mick Dundee's young son in CROCODILE DUNDEE IN L.A. That kid was not only cute and smart, he was also fearless!

I keep finding a lot of what I write is in "answer" to other writers' awful stories...

#509679 05/17/10 05:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sadly, I've dropped Birds of Prey.

#509680 05/20/10 06:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, I'm glad to say it: It's good to be home.

Whoever thought it was a smart move to cancel BOP in the first place should be sterilized or at the very least have their eyes plucked out. BOP is perhaps the greatest contribution of the 90's to the overall DCU, and has given the company that sometimes feels like it has no room left for anyone something that it always needed even though we might not have realized it. And it was Gail who came in and really took it to the next level, making the Huntress part of it, and making a great spy/adventure series become a tight-knit family series as well.

I thought #1 was an excellent start and it immediately brought us back to the glory days of BOP. Gail's tight script, excitingly paced with character bits and interactions between the Birds, great humor and an overall sense of fun without taking away from the tension. Ed Benes' incredible art, doing the series he was born to do; he sure draws some great Birds, and as Gail tells it, he draws great men too I guess.

Dinah at long last at long last acting like DC's *other* great iconic female again--which she hasn't since Gail last wrote her. Zinda being one of the most fun characters on the page anywhere. Babs & the Huntress too, and I'm sure we'll get more of them shortly. The scene with the three main Birds getting a little emotional was great: quickly done and effective.

Hawk & Dove joining the cast suddenly seems very interesting to me. I have to say I wasn't exactly thrilled about it but already in one issue Gail has me intrigued.

Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Sadly, I've dropped Birds of Prey.
I know you're avoiding all Brightest Day stuff but honestly Birds of Prey is beyond all that marketing stuff. It was beyond the stupid change in status quo to the Bat-books and its beyond this here. I'm glad its back and I'm thrilled its by its best creative team.

And the final pages, leading to the (not quite) surprise villain? Perfect. She is not only the very best villain for the Birds, she's also one of the best, scariest and most awesome villains in all of the DCU. She's really the only other member of the DC that can fight Batman (Bruce) and maybe win. Love it.

People who never collected BOP before: do yourself a favor. Jump on now.

#509681 05/20/10 06:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, I have a question. Isn't this, like, the second time Gail Simone used a villain who knows "everything"? Like Junior from Secret Six.

#509682 05/20/10 06:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That and I am still reading them, just not buying them.

#509683 05/20/10 08:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
And the final pages, leading to the (not quite) surprise villain? Perfect. She is not only the very best villain for the Birds, she's also one of the best, scariest and most awesome villains in all of the DCU. She's really the only other member of the DC that can fight Batman (Bruce) and maybe win. Love it.
Has the villain been confirmed to be who you think she is CK? I got the impression that there was some misdirection going on there. I've seen theories elsewhere that she's actually the looooooonnng-thought dead sister of you-know-who, which would be a pretty cool development if so.

As for Lady Blackhawk. She's the weak link in this book IMO. I want to like her but under Gail's pen I really don't. She is so insufferably one-note. Her whole personality consists of drinking and fighting and being surly. I can't think of one plot point she's ever been given that wasn't one of those three. Maybe if I wasn't a non-drinking gay man I'd appreciate her character more but as she is - she needs a LOT of work.

#509684 05/21/10 02:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You know, I was so certain the villain was

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Lady Shiva--there, I said it laugh </span></span>

that I never considered it wasn't her. I do hope it is her though, as she is just such a dynamic and awesome ass-kicking character. She's probably the only character in the DCU that could kick the crap out of Dinah and the Huntress at once.

As for Lady Blackhawk, I love her! I wonder if as a drinking, strait man, I'm loving every aspetc of her? laugh I'll admit though that I like her as more of a supporting character than a lead. She's a bit one-note but with flashes of depth, and I don't mind her in that role. There was a pretty good Killer Shark arc in the last BOP run that focused more on her. I'd really love to see Gail do a Blackhawks story with the originals and Zinda, with Blackhawk himself being the icon he is but all those quirky other Blackhawks being gruff and cool. I think she could pull it off.

#509685 05/22/10 05:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Got the first issue cause it was there, and I had a few extra bucks. Now I'll be getting issue #2,, cause I like it a lot so far.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#509686 05/22/10 09:09 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Between this and Secret Six you're going to end up being a big Gail Simone fan, Dev--I can feel it. laugh

Lady Blackhawk kind of occupies the same role that Ragdoll does in Secret Six. A firm member of the family but less super-serious and good for humor and tension relief. She rocks.

(Dinah is the Catman here, as the heart of the book, Huntress is the Scandal as the one most screwed up and Oracle is definitely the Deadshot.)

#509687 05/24/10 01:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The comparison to the S6 is natural, and a little spot on. Gail's writing the same book, from different angles. The 6 are about a dysfunctional group doing their own thing to stay alive. The Birds are a group of capable confident people, trying to make the world a better place.

Count me in as a fan of Lady Blackhawk. She isn't as developed as Dinah or Babs, but she's a good Alfred/Jarvis for this group.

Just spouting off.
#509688 05/30/10 04:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I love Lady Blackhawk.

Rather enjoyed BoP's return too. I'm thinking this will make the price-increase cut along with Gail's Secret 6 and Welcome to Tranquility.

The Benes art sure didn't hurt either.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#509689 05/30/10 06:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
You know, I was so certain the villain was

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Lady Shiva--there, I said it laugh </span></span>
Does she call Dinah "Siu Jerk Jai" (Little Bird)? I was thinking someone else entirely.

Love having this series back.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#509690 05/30/10 09:34 PM
Active
Active
Yes, she does call her "Little Bird" which would naturally lead me to believe this is Shiva, but why a different code name? Has to be someone else who has ties to Dinah's past.
The Birds look awesome again. I wonder how long it'll be before Stephanie Brown as Batgirl shows up in this book. So many blond powerhouses running around DC. I sometimes confuse Zinda and Dinah when each are not in uniform.

#509691 06/11/10 07:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've got a horrible feeling White Canary is Sin. I've gotta be wrong, though.

New BoP on Wednesday! laugh

Real reason I'm posting:

Does anyone know anything about Helena Bertinelli's altered origin? (See Wikipedia) Was there an in comic explanation for the reboot? What do you guys think of it? I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, it takes her off the Women (Children?) in the Refrigerator list, but on the other hand, it kind of seems cowardly to just change things like that.

#509692 06/11/10 07:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't read a lot of Huntress so I wouldn't know.

#509693 06/13/10 07:59 PM
Active
Active
I'm not familiar with an altered origin for Helena. Is she still not the daughter of a mob family?

#509694 06/13/10 08:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Arachne:
Does anyone know anything about Helena Bertinelli's altered origin? (See Wikipedia) Was there an in comic explanation for the reboot? What do you guys think of it? I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, it takes her off the Women (Children?) in the Refrigerator list, but on the other hand, it kind of seems cowardly to just change things like that.
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
I'm not familiar with an altered origin for Helena. Is she still not the daughter of a mob family?
I take it her post-Crisis origin has seen some alteration from the context of these posts? My first thought was altered from being Batman of Earth-2's daughter (which it's been for a long while), but that's clearly not what we're talking about. Any clue as to what's different? confused

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#509695 06/13/10 09:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sorry, I tried to put a link to her bio at Wikipedia, but it didn't work, something about brackets. Here\'s the ComicVine bio.

In her first origin after Crisis, she was kidnapped and assaulted, probably sexually, when she was six. When she was nineteen her family was massacred. (All of this was because her father was a mafia don.) Helena survived, but was still a target, so her bodyguard taught her how to fight (she was already an Olympic level gymnast), and she took on the identity of the Huntress. I don't think it ever said which city this took place in.

Later they rewrote her origin and changed it so there was, apparently, no kidnapping and her family (also a mafia family) was massacred when she was eight. She then went overseas to live with cousins who raised her to fight. This time the city she was from was definitely Gotham.

#509696 06/16/10 02:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Here's the lowdown on the hodown. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Fight between the Birds and the White Canary. Throughout the whole fight White Canary has got Dinah seriously freaked out.

Someone, however, leaks enough info on Dinah to the press. Her identity is exposed and a news network is doing an expose on how she "abandoned" Sin.

White Canary already delivers on her throat that those associated with the Birds, well, how one will die every hour for the next six hours.

Babs gets a call from Creote, horribly distressed, who tells her that White Canary killed his lover Savant, because they were guilty of association. Creote then kills himself.

The Birds try to deal with the cops swarming in on them.

Babs decides to step up to plate after realizing she's become complacent with the machines to do her work.

Well, two more characters dead. Two GAY characters. I know there's no agenda at DC, but I wonder if they're gonna be in for it.</span></span>

#509697 06/16/10 06:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
One of my favourite bad boys -- gone! frown

#509698 06/16/10 08:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm sorry, I didn't know you liked them so much.

#509699 06/16/10 09:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
aw no.....another gay characters killed! groan....Tasmanian Devil....now this. grrr... Gail !!!!!!!

Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Mediocre Boy
Mediocre Boy
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star