Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:13 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/06/24 07:26 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:38 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: FINAL CRISIS (Official Thread)
#510556 01/26/09 12:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

#510557 01/26/09 01:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Final Crisis #7 preview!

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=25503
Can't wait. Looks like this flows pretty smoothly out of "Superman: Beyond", with Captain Marvel and the Ultima Thule showing up, along with the Question from FC:6. Hope it all comes together.

#510558 01/26/09 01:25 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
All I heard from the comic shops I frequent and fan reaction on the internet was how impenetrable and ridiculous Superman: Beyond was. Well, I just finished it, and actually, its probably the single best part of Final Crisis thus far, I think. Now the rest of the event…

#510559 01/26/09 01:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
All I heard from the comic shops I frequent and fan reaction on the internet was how impenetrable and ridiculous Superman: Beyond was. Well, I just finished it, and actually, its probably the single best part of Final Crisis thus far, I think. Now the rest of the event…
Superman: Beyond was amazing. I'm still thinking about that last page a week later. I'm hoping some of that bleeds (no pun intended) into the last issue of the series proper.

#510560 01/26/09 10:27 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by rouge:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[b] All I heard from the comic shops I frequent and fan reaction on the internet was how impenetrable and ridiculous Superman: Beyond was. Well, I just finished it, and actually, its probably the single best part of Final Crisis thus far, I think. Now the rest of the event…
Superman: Beyond was amazing. I'm still thinking about that last page a week later. I'm hoping some of that bleeds (no pun intended) into the last issue of the series proper. [/b]
Ah, great. Two more i$$ues I gotta try and find.

Long Live all them Legions!
#510561 01/28/09 01:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So, it's over. I already said how I feel about it on the DC forums. What say you?

#510562 01/28/09 08:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i say i'm really confused. and i don't think it's my fault.

#510563 01/28/09 10:53 PM
Active
Active
reading this makes me feel angry and tired.

this must be what it's like for a dog watching tv. there's words and pictures but it's all very bewildering. and every now and then you go "i know that person...oh they're gone. who's that.. what. what....i thought batman died in that other book..."

were the other crisis things like this...? this is my first crisis that i've actually bought and read and i think it made me physically ill.

#510564 01/28/09 11:13 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
v v:

...were the other crisis things like this...?
lol

Don't get me started. I'm still ticked off at them for killing Supergirl. [rolleyes] Sure, it was all comprehensible, but that didn't help my mood any.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#510565 01/28/09 11:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, I think Morrison picked that up when he killed Overgirl.

I liked it, personally. There were some problems, but, it was good. For me at least.

#510566 01/28/09 11:52 PM
Active
Active
.......i'm not crazy <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> he DID kill darkseid with a song</span></span> right? right?

#510567 01/29/09 01:47 AM
Leader
Leader
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I don't think it was a song just high pitched notes, and someone can't spell a Tyroc "OOOOYY EEEEEEI OOUUU!"</span></span>

My problem with this issue? Captain Carrot.

My problem with this who series? Same as will all other Crises- A bunch of lame heroes we don't now and never will care about taking up 75% of the issues. And I'm sure as heck not picking up "Revelations" or "Rogues Revenge" or any of that other crap. So how did they get the mask off Wonder Woman? Who are these kids getting the bedtime story?

Sigghh.

Long Live all them Legions!
#510568 01/29/09 09:03 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by veryvery:

this must be what it's like for a dog watching tv. there's words and pictures but it's all very bewildering. and every now and then you go "i know that person...oh they're gone. who's that.. what. what....i thought batman died in that other book..."

were the other crisis things like this...? this is my first crisis that i've actually bought and read and i think it made me physically ill.
"Crisis on Infinite Earths" was actually very comprehensible. But it was done with very specific reasons in mind (reordering/rebooting the DCU), as opposed to just being done for a high profile writer to show off how clever he is (which is all I'm getting from what I read of Final Crisis.)

The two high profile deaths (Barry Allen and Supergirl) seemed to be done not just to show off how super-scary the bad guy was. Barry's death let Wally step up and replace his mentor which was a novel concept then, and Supergirl was soon to be gotten rid of anyway due to John Byrne's notions of making Superman more unique. At least with "Crisis" she got to go out a hero. And the deaths actually stuck for a surprisingly long time as opposed to Batman's wink, wink death.

Also, the lead-ups and tie-ins to "Crisis on Infinite Earths" were mostly limited to the regular titles, as opposed to requiring additional miniseries purchases just to make heads or tails of it. The downside of COIE was that it left a lot of those books floundering, and the followthrough on the DCU revisions were not well organized.

I could rant on, but I think the problems with "Final Crisis" have as much to do with the way the industry works now versus 20 years ago as it does the problems with the actual story. Comics were still at least partially expected to be read by actual kids, and there was more emphasis on clarity and story mechanics. Now they're focusing on a shrinking base and stuck on a no-win cycle of trying to top themselves by making each more "epic" than the last.

#510569 01/29/09 08:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

i couldn't have said it better myself.

they shoulda called it crappy crisis.

i can't gather my patience to write more of a critique than that. it better be final.

but wasn't there one monitor for the multiverse before??

my very most favorite part:

"the story of the death of batman. of how just a man, had fatally wounded the god of evil. and what we stood for."

guns!! guns!! that's what they stood for! batman hated guns and he died in a shootout. ugghh. sorry i have to go vomit now.

#510570 01/29/09 08:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
And I'm sure as heck not picking up "Revelations" or "Rogues Revenge"
FWIW: Rogues would be comprehensible to any Flash fan and IMO was very good even with only a fleeting knowledge of what was going on in the other books. It helped to know the baddies were attempting to recruit them and why.

#510571 01/29/09 08:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by matlock:
[b] reading this makes me feel angry and tired.

"Crisis on Infinite Earths" was actually very comprehensible. But it was done with very specific reasons in mind (reordering/rebooting the DCU), as opposed to just being done for a high profile writer to show off how clever he is (which is all I'm getting from what I read of Final Crisis.)

The two high profile deaths (Barry Allen and Supergirl) seemed to be done not just to show off how super-scary the bad guy was. Barry's death let Wally step up and replace his mentor which was a novel concept then, and Supergirl was soon to be gotten rid of anyway due to John Byrne's notions of making Superman more unique. At least with "Crisis" she got to go out a hero. And the deaths actually stuck for a surprisingly long time as opposed to Batman's wink, wink death.

Also, the lead-ups and tie-ins to "Crisis on Infinite Earths" were mostly limited to the regular titles, as opposed to requiring additional miniseries purchases just to make heads or tails of it. The downside of COIE was that it left a lot of those books floundering, and the followthrough on the DCU revisions were not well organized.

I could rant on, but I think the problems with "Final Crisis" have as much to do with the way the industry works now versus 20 years ago as it does the problems with the actual story. Comics were still at least partially expected to be read by actual kids, and there was more emphasis on clarity and story mechanics. Now they're focusing on a shrinking base and stuck on a no-win cycle of trying to top themselves by making each more "epic" than the last.[/b]
I think Matt you make an excellent point. So much has been lost in the craft of story-mechanics and making plots accessible to readers. Not even dialogue or pacing (which has also changed) but the putting together a comprehensible story that moved from part to part in a clear way even when it was extremely complicated. This is the prime reason why the first Crisis was so great; and also why so many subsequent crossovers have failed.

#510572 01/29/09 10:23 PM
Active
Active
i feel like morrison's problem is that he wants to write PROSE book SO SO MUCH. SO MUCH.and also he doesn't really care to write about these particular characters so it's like.. square peg round hole...

...also he can't write very well~ <3

this was so bizarre and stupid that LSH 50 is comforting in a way...

beer, you're my only friend now smirk

#510573 01/29/09 11:23 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
We're your friends too..especially if you have beer!

I'm sorry, I just couldn't. 52 and Countdown ruined me, I'm just not interested in the crossover d'jour after those incredible pieces of crap.

DC has made it damned difficult to follow a single storyline anymore. I wanted to get the New Krypton story but where do you start? What books are the story crossed over into? They lost me and I haven't got a clue where a jumping on point is.

I likes me my comics but I don't do much Marvel at all and it feels like DC just doesn't want my money anymore. I guess I'm going back to collecting mainly the independents and the Legion (if there is one)

#510574 01/30/09 12:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have just one question. Was this better than Countdown?

#510575 01/30/09 04:49 AM
Active
Active
YK: awww, yellow. <3 i'll call you yellow-kid-the-beer. <3

YOU HAVE TO READ ALL OF THEM! follow the numbers in the little green triangle!! and don't worry if you miss one, because they summarize at the beginning of each issue <3. well, just wait for the trade! i liked it a lot <3

also i LOVED rogues revenge, it reads like any other flash arc, except it's villains and it takes place during crisis but it doesn't NEED to, it's really just a cool rogues story <3 it was really neat.

god. i'm just glad it's OVER. really, i guess FC is just a "GUYS! GUYS, WE'RE THROWING SOME STUFF OUT, OK?" memo. it could have been a giant bookmark they gave out for free, really...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> did anyone else think he was just going to USE the frigging miracle machine?!! not... rebuild it... why... why did he rebuild it. why. that's like my friend showing me her screwdriver when i need one. and then i have to go build one instead of borrowing hers. the problem with it is that like... now anything f-ed up in this new world will be superman's fault... "well honey, you have no legs because superman didn't wish for you to have them...i guess superman hates you".</span></span>

#510576 01/30/09 06:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I loved it, and thought it was a good capping of the series. Superman: Beyond was still the best part (and essential to understanding the standoff at the end). If I have time on the weekend I'd like to try a page by page accounting of what's going on and see if other people picked up the same things I did. Sorry a lot of you didn't dig it.

#510577 01/30/09 05:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> did anyone else think he was just going to USE the frigging miracle machine?!! not... rebuild it... why... why did he rebuild it. why. that's like my friend showing me her screwdriver when i need one. and then i have to go build one instead of borrowing hers. the problem with it is that like... now anything f-ed up in this new world will be superman's fault... "well honey, you have no legs because superman didn't wish for you to have them...i guess superman hates you".</span></span>
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Except that the screwdriver you build could only be used once to fix what you needed to and then would never be available to accidently stick into the electrical outlet and short out the entire city</span></span>

Not that I've even done that or anything.

shocked

#510578 01/30/09 10:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So other than circumstances surrounding Batman, what else is changed for the DCU as read in non-Morrison penned titles?

I kind of liked #7 in a dispassionate sort of way. But it still reads like a stand-alone Elseworlds sort of story to me. And I found it cold, cold, cold.

I liked the Captain Carrot bit- I think it was supposed to represent the scope of the DCU, though the thought needed some repetition to really be effective.

I think the art failed that near-concluding segment. As the 'good' Monitor (I guess he's good, I'm not really sure) kept adding to his list of champions and they appeared- the prospect should've seemed bigger and bigger.

I don't think the grandeur in the words and the plot at that point came across.

That last page or two- is that meant to be way back in time? Or just in a cave in Australia or somewhere?

#510579 01/31/09 07:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^ We don't all live in caves in Australia you know! wink

(I know what you meant Mystery Lad but it just brought back funny memories of when I was first at college in Ohio and people would ask me if we had grass in Australia. Or pizza. Or if everyone had a pet kangaroo.)

I need to give the latest issue another read before I come to a definitive conclusion about it. So far, I think I liked it more than the last few but first impressions are that it was a disappointing and nigh-on incomprehensible finale and a let-down after (what I considered to be) an interesting build-up in the first few issues.

As for the original 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' - that is the MACK-DADDY of event comics and still the BEST! Its story, characterisation and art (of course) still stand head and shoulders above Final Crisis and the suck that was Infinite Crisis. I don't get how Marv Wolfman and George Perez could get something so right more than 20 years ago that today's writers seem to have so much trouble with.

Much as I love it though - it's a tough book to sell to new readers. The grandeur and impact of it will have undoubtedly been tarnished by the multitude of subsequent inferior "events" and if you don't have a widespread knowledge of (or at least interest in) the many different worlds and characters and elements that exist within the DCU you might find yourself a little bit lost or bored.

#510580 01/31/09 10:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
By the way, this is an excellent analysis of what Morrison was trying to do with this series I think.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19743

It does make a lot of sense to me now and I think I can respect the work a lot more for it but it just doesn't change the fact that there were a lot of parts to this story that I just didn't *enjoy*.

And for all his post-modern cleverness isn't that the one thing GM was supposed to be doing for me.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,174
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Eishuu
Eishuu
Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star