Roll Call
1 members (stile86), 61 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/14/24 09:18 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Pov - 05/14/24 09:11 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:52 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/14/24 08:49 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:44 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/14/24 08:43 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:42 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Question about the reboot
#51996 02/20/08 05:30 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
like i said i'm still relatively new to the legion,
i since this thread has gone up i did look into some of the older of the reboot and while i haven't been in complete love with them i haven't disliked it as much as i have THE LEGION run every issue i read just seams a mess a real, and i mean a real mess there seams to be non-stop attacking going on the there is very few breaks from the action, books like that cant really hold my attention because well its hard to get into them cause you dont get to know the ppl in them it just screams we dont need plots as long as there is action every one loves action

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#51997 02/20/08 06:45 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The DnA issues do certainly have that big screen blockbuster action movie kind of feel to them. Both coherence of plots and depth of characterization tended to get sacrificed in favor of the dramatic cliffhanger.

I've said it before, but I actually think the first year of the reboot has some of the best plotting/pacing that the Legion has ever had. It was actually pretty amazing that they were producing two issues per month, and it hardly ever felt like we were getting filler. The fact that it take about eight months in most comics to get the amount of story and characterization that we would get in a single month back then is one of the biggest complaints I have about current comics.

#51998 02/20/08 09:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I still love the reboot (up to a point) and all the trashing it's getting in this thread makes little Blacula cry. frown

As bad as the reboot got at times (Team 20, PMS era, post-Worlds DnA) I still think it stands up much more strongly than any part of the Waid/Kitson threeboot.

I'm kinda resigned to the fact that we'll probably never see this Legion again though (barring some type of 'Legion of Three Worlds' deal) but what it really kills me to accept is that we might never see the great 'original' characters from it again - XS, Gates, Kinetix, Dragonmage, Kid Quantums I & II... those characters are far too good to just let waste away in limbo forever. Yet, I can't see them fitting in with either of the current versions of the Legion either.

Legion history is a tragedy when you think about it.

#51999 02/20/08 09:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Blacula:
Legion history is a tragedy when you think about it.
*choke*

I don't want to think about it--because its true in that regard frown

#52000 02/22/08 02:42 AM
Active
Active
Yep, and the sad thing is that it's a tragedy for EVERY generation of Legion fans, be it the "classics" (tragedy: Superboy Pocket universe), the "TMKs" (tragedy: everything wiped out, which also refers to those who could live with the Pocket universe...), the "Rebootys" (tragedy: Koko... okay and everything being wiped out!) and the "Threebootys" (tragedy: living in fear of everything being wiped out soon...). The cartoon fans I don't know about, cause it has never been shown in Germany, which is... another tragedy!!!

No matter which version you like, you will always pay for your entertainment with "pain"...

#52001 02/22/08 01:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Reboot has its place in Legion history, but as the numbers shown in the Sales thread show, it was never a blockbuster commodity (only the outset had noteworthy figures).

I'd be surprised if the Crisis of Three Legions does not involve the Reboot, but I doubt it would be back in any major way. I myself would not object ot the occassional Reboot-era mini or special, but I'm not holding my breath.

In hidsight, I think the TT/LSH Special cliffhanger ending was a *finger-crossed-just-in-case* backup plan in case Threeboot fell flat on its face. v.5 sales were/are the best in a decade; that pretty much sealed Reboot's fate, and we got the Earth-247 resolution: questionable existence, at best on some distant earth (47, perhaps).

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#52002 02/22/08 05:00 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Reboot has its place in Legion history, but as the numbers shown in the Sales thread show, it was never a blockbuster commodity (only the outset had noteworthy figures).
i bought foundations it was a bit confusing especially since at some points there where 2 story going on...i dont think i liked it

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#52003 02/23/08 05:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Don't feel bad Foundations was a pretty bad story. That was when DnA were definelty in their downward spiral on the book. I don't know if it was their idea to bring in Superboy and rehash the Great Darkness Saga or if it was the powers the be, but either way it was a very bad idea.

The Beginings of Tommorow trade is a much better choice of the two reboot trades they put out.

#52004 02/23/08 07:16 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
yeah i wasn't the biggest fan of the beginnings of tomorrow, it was miles better then foundations but i dont think im a fan

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#52005 02/26/08 01:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I have to agree, Beginning of Tomorrow was a set of stories in the evolution of a new Legion, and not one large contained story. That's why there were many introduced plotlines; they were meant to be wrapped up later on.

The White Triangle story or the Fatal Five/Chu sting would have been better trades in the sense that they had more contained plots, big climaxes and more of a sense of closure because of the greater focus on a single story.

But anyway...

Foundations WAS pretty bad. You had a lot of Legionnaires running around, but they didn't really matter in the long run.

Oh, and what was UP with the Legion storming Apokolips like that without having ANY sort of plan? That so made them look like amateurs. They were just fighting parademons and Darkseid "servants" in an endless and ultimately pointless battle. Boo to that!

#52006 02/28/08 01:35 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
so got a hold of the the legion lost and i loved it
but most i think that was due to what i said earlier it focused on the individuals rather then the team action moments, it change right as it got into legion 1

i loved the ending i felt so bad for element lad. and i love how live wire quit so he wouldnt be braking the code

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#52007 03/01/08 10:44 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Legion of the Damned and Legion Lost were fantastic pieces of reading...DnA were perfect for shaking up the youthful (reboot) Legion and finding some substance there. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to know what to do with the large team once they reunited. Of course, this is the premise of the Legion - a massive team of characters. DnA worked best in dealing with smaller clusters of members. The stride of Legion Lost could have possibly been maintained if they had divided the team up again, under new circumstances, after their homecoming.

#52008 03/01/08 11:02 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
If you liked Legion Lost, I think you'll love Legion Worlds. It's even more character-based/world-building stuff.

#52009 03/01/08 11:13 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I need to read Legion Worlds again....can't believe I forgot to mention it. It is up there with the other quality DnA stories, imo.

#52010 03/04/08 11:06 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
can some one tell what the difference between the legion of super hero and the legionaries comic is?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#52011 03/04/08 04:03 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I just got into the whole Legion thing recently, and though I know all the characters pretty well and have a general idea of the plots, I've never actually read any of the comics. Well, actually I did, and it was the matter of this discussion, Reboot era.

It was this one book that had a collection of, and I quote, "their first triumphs and tragedies". It contained the issues from the forming of the Legion, all the way up to the end of the Planet Hell incident.

Eh, I liked it well enough. Hate half the names though. I think Spark was the only acceptable rename, and I still like Light(ning) Lass better. Art was decent, though it got kind of shoddy in some places. Liked the characterization and plots, and was smiling like crazy when XS showed up. I love that girl to bits, she's too cute. (Definitely a character who needs to return.)

My favorite part? When Phantom Girl (ugh Apparition ugh) totally walked in on that guy naked (!) in his room by himself (!!) with a picture of a girl looking mighty attractive (!!!). I think we all see where that's headed, at least for my line of thoughts.

And now that I reflect, I also read the Impulse issue(s?) when the Legion shows up. I've read a lot of Impulse issues. Bart's too awesome for words.

Woah, the rainbows are so much closer to home now!
#52012 03/04/08 04:21 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
can some one tell what the difference between the legion of super hero and the legionaries comic is?
IIRC (and people here will correct me if I am wrong) Legionnaires was a second Legion comic. It primarily featured a good chunk of legionnaires who got stranded in the 20th century.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#52013 03/04/08 04:30 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The whole story on LSH/Legionnaires:

During the 5YL storyline, a group of Legionnaires were discovered who were basically duplicates/clones of the team from the 60s. Eventually, this clone team was spun off into its own series, which was called Legionnaires.

When the Legion was rebooted in 1994, both Legion titles began to feature the adventures of the newly rebooted team. So, effectively, throughout the second half of the nineties we had a bi-weekly Legion title. Stories were generally continuous between the two titles, with a few exceptions, such as the period in which half the team was stranded in the twentieth century, and LSH focused on that team and L* focused on the 30th century team.

#52014 03/04/08 04:58 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Now I've got a question that does pertain to the topic at hand (I hope.)

Where is a good place to start in your Legion reading? I honestly have no idea. Starting from the very very beginning sounds kind of hard, seeing as how they're all ancient issues nowadays. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#52015 03/04/08 05:09 PM
Hey Epic (and welcome to Legion World)

Everyone has their own favorite eras. The Adventure era can seem a little silly to a modern reader. The Showcase Archives (black & white reprints) does have a Legion volume which reprints the early stories.

I started reading the Legion with Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes #212, so I'd say that reading up from issue 200 would be good. Others like the 5 Years Later (5YL) era. After that comes the reboot which lasts through Legion Lost and the run by Abnett & Lanning. Then you have the threeboot which runs into the current issues.

There are also some trade paperbacks out there, including the Great Darkness saga (which is considered one of the best if not the best Legion story preboot)

#52016 03/04/08 05:18 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Thanks, that really helps!

I'll admit I'm used to manga, so the whole comic thing is a bit confusing. Every time I pull out a printout from some random page I found whilst clicking around, I have to tell my friends, "left to right, left to right, stop reading it backwards."

#52017 03/04/08 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Epic:
Thanks, that really helps!

I'll admit I'm used to manga, so the whole comic thing is a bit confusing. Every time I pull out a printout from some random page I found whilst clicking around, I have to tell my friends, "left to right, left to right, stop reading it backwards."
lol

So who is your favorite Legionnaire?

#52018 03/04/08 05:42 PM
Active
Active
Hey Epic,

Welcome to Legion fandom. It is hard to figure out where to start, if you're lucky (like I was) you can find a comic book store with a nice back issue bin. If you're really lucky you can find one with a quarter box (where all comics are a quarter) or 50 cents or something. What I did when I got into the Legion (and man did I get it bad) I went to one of the stores and just picked up every Legion issue that I could get for cheap.

From there I kinda figured out what I liked and I didn't. For instance, I don't like the 5 Year Gap Legion at all, but the few issues I do have only cost me a quarter so I don't feel bad about owning them.

As for my recommendations, the time Paul Levitz was on the Legion is pretty good. Don't remember issue numbers (I think it was Legion of Superheroes 178 upwards. Then the title changed to Tales of the Legion of Superheroes, those I could always find for pretty cheap). Then you get the Baxter series, which is Legion of Superheroes but on nicer paper (you can usually tell by looking at these). I liked it up till about issue 40. The Levitz Legion was published in the 80's, so the books look a bit older than any other comics bearing the Legion of Superheroes name.

Hope that helps!

Long Live the Legion!
#52019 03/04/08 05:45 PM
Applicant
Applicant
That's a hard question. I'm the type of person who finds it hard to not like every character.

Eh, B5 never fails to send me into fits of laughter, whether from being crazy or . . . <strike>being crazy</strike> just being himself.

XS, despite only being a boot member, is definitely one of my all-time faves, she's such a cutie.

Dream Girl is pretty and equipped with some of the creepiest powers ever.

Wildfire, who I'd say is great by being a hot-head, but I fear it'd come across as a bad pun.

Lightning Lad, who I guess I can relate to.

And Invisible Kid is just one of those characters I'd be stupid not to love.

Six people! I narrowed it down to six people! Woot! Though I feel guilty now, since there's so many more I feel like should be there. Kind of a, I don't have one best friend, I have many, thing.

#52020 03/04/08 05:48 PM
Applicant
Applicant
And thanks stephbarton. (I feel guilty about the double post, but I don't wanna look like I ignore you!) I know one store that sells comics,as it's where I buy my manga, I should check it out. They're pretty cheap, I think.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,316
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tiffany Spiffany
Tiffany Spiffany
Mayavale University
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star