Roll Call
0 members (), 91 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 09:48 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 86 1 2 3 4 5 6 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#579944 08/15/07 06:50 PM
Leader
Leader
Well, I'm just guessing here, but I'd say because she was productive and making money for her publishing house, she wasn't considered crazy. Had she just been some lady who talked to her drawings and DIDN'T make money for anybody, they might very well have locked her up.

From watching the movie I'd say that Peter Rabbit, was her most memorable character. But aside from that, her most notable accomlishment as far as I'm concerned, would be buying thousands of acres of land in England's Lake District, and then leaving it to the British people in a trust. Very cool.

#579945 08/15/07 09:32 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Stealth, regarding Miami. I also have visited the southeast region since I was knee high. Have family in Hollywood, West Palm, Miami, etc. You know I saw Miami get a bit better in 90's. Sure it was too trendy but hey that was better than trashy. The last couple times I went though (last year and in 2004) it seemed a bit more trashy than it should be. It attracted quite a deviant crowd. And I'm all for some deviants...but it was a bit scary again. Lots of bums, etc.
Yeah, I used to see a therapist on Lincoln Road, and there were always bums on the bottom floor of the building. As you said, scary.

The good news is that she's now semi-retired and living on the other coast of Florida, not far from Tampa as a matter of fact; her and I have the occassional phone session, for free. smile

And earlier tonight, I watched the first disc of the Best of Bravestarr DVD. (For those unfamiliar with it, Bravestarr was an 80s cartoon that cross-bred the western and space opera genres; the titular hero was a Native American sheriff with mystical powers.) Back in the day, it wasn't my favorite cartoon, but seeing the feature-film pilot for the first time was awe-inspiring. It must have been the only time that Filmation had a decent budget to work from (they also did She-Ra, He-Man, Flash Gordon, 60s Superman, etc.) The irony is that, for all the money they put into it, Bravestarr was a ratings/toy sales flop that pretty much destroyed Filmation.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#579946 08/16/07 08:30 AM
Deputy
Deputy
BRAVESTAR!!!

Oh Man I used to LOOOOOVE that cartoon.

What was it again?

"Eyes of the eagle!! Strength of the bear!! Speed of the puma!!"

I think there may have been another power as well.

He had a cool, talking, robot horse.

Oh, and the Judge was HOT!!

...but not as hot as the redhead from Scoobt Doo

Be lucky
#579947 08/16/07 12:23 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Bravestar sounds vaguely familiar. I can imagine the costume. Futuristic cowboy uni but he was native american.

Another vague memory was the Jace guy in the plant trucks? He had a guy called Herc?! Jace had a rogue hairstyle. smile

#579948 08/16/07 01:42 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Cobie, I've seen Rescue Me a couple of times and really like it I just don't have the time (even with the DVR).

Speaking of Burn Notice on USA...has the Dead Zone fizzled out? I used to love it but this season so far...sucks. I've only seen like the first 4 episodes.

4400 has got my interest again.

(I need to watch more movies and less tv darn it!)

#579949 08/16/07 08:43 PM
Originally posted by walkwithcrowds:
"Eyes of the eagle!! Strength of the bear!! Speed of the puma!!"

I think there may have been another power as well.

He had a cool, talking, robot horse.
"Bravestarr -- eye of the hawk, ear of the wolf. Bravestarr -- strength of the bear, speed of the puma."

The horse -- Thirty-Thirty was his name -- was my favorite character. An ornery ol' cuss with a heart of gold and a trusty shotgun he calls Sarah Jane. (for those who might be puzzled, Thirty-Thirty could shift from quadriped to biped, and in biped mode, he had humanoid hands instead of hooves.) He was more a cyborg than a robot, though.

Another vague memory was the Jace guy in the plant trucks? He had a guy called Herc?! Jace had a rogue hairstyle. smile
Ha ha. Jayce all the other good guys on his show had girly hairstyles. But personally, I've always liked girly hair on men. laugh

The problem I had with Jayce's show was that the title sequence always had more action than the actual episode.

Great theme song, though. "WHEELED WARRIORS..."

#579950 08/16/07 10:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah, "Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors" was a cool show. It was a bit of a "Star Wars" ripoff, but still entertaining enough.

I'm also enjoying "4400" these days and finding myself losing interest in "Dead Zone". I was mostly just interested in the storyline with the evil politician anyway.

#579951 08/20/07 05:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Dead Zone's not the same without Walt... I've lost interest in it too! frown

I like the campiness of Burn Notice.

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#579952 08/20/07 05:36 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Did anyone else watch the Spike TV mini-series "Kill Point"? There's only 1 episode left, next Sunday night. It was 8 hours in all, about a bank robbery that goes wrong, so they take hostages and will only talk to this one police negotiator, who the chief hates because he makes up the rules as he goes along... I know the premise sounds "done to death" but there have been some pretty good turns along the way:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">For example one of the hostages is the daughter of a wealthy guy, so he offers to try and get the criminals (ex-military unit who went to Iraq) an escape route. Also, the hostage takers try and get public sympathy by saying some of their demands are for every soldier in Iraq to have bulletproof vests, and for all Senators in Congress who have children of age to enlist in the military and get sent over to Iraq...

In another episode the hostages get the upper hand on the robbers briefly. Meanwhile there are also other members of the H.T.'s military unit on the outside who start trying to find their brothers another way out of the bank (even killing a hitman and taking out a few SWAT snipers along the way). And on the comical side of things there's a couple who has spent the entire time in a closet (they had snuck into the closet for a "quickie" moments before the bank got robbed...talk about poor timing!). They were finally discovered by the H.T.s this week. </span></span>

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out next week!

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#579953 08/20/07 11:18 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Omni, I agree after Walt died I've lost interest(Dead Zone).

I haven't seen Kill Point but it sounds cool. John Leguizamo and Donnie Wahlberg. It's a mini-series right?

#579954 08/20/07 11:35 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The Cat's Meow

Pretty good film. I'm a huge Orson Welles fan and got hint of this by a tangent. Mostly the Welles/Hearst connection(Citizen Kane).

The Cat's Meow is about a real party on Hearst's yacht. It had a number of famous people and one of them died(or was killed). Writer/director Thomas Ince died under mysterious circumstances. The sad part is the party was for his birthday.

It was said he died of a heart attack but rumors suggested he was shot in the head by Hearst. The famous people on the boat never talked about it. Among the famous people the most famous was Charlie Chaplin and Marion Davies. It was said they were having an affair and Hearst was very jealous. He accidently killed Ince thinking he was Chaplain.

Personally I believe it. Hearst seemed to be an evil man in everything I've heard about him.

Kirsten Dunst played Marion Davies. This film made her seem not as bad as other reports of her. Joanna Lumley did an amazing job and played erotic fiction novelist Elinor Glyn. Jenniffer Tilly played much hated gossip columnist Louella Parsons. Eddie Izzard played Chaplain. I don't want to sound mean but Eddie is just a bit hard to look at. Atleast in this film. He's got a villain's face.

I enjoyed the film. It was directed by Peter Bogdanovich. It really captured that 1920s spirit.

#579955 08/20/07 12:58 PM
Deputy
Deputy
"Dogfights" on the History Channel. I'm not much for the war documentaries these days, but they've got really cool computer reenactments of fighter v. fighter action. Fun to watch.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#579956 08/20/07 01:25 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
After the Michael Vick fiasco I wonder how long they will keep calling it Dog Fights. smile

#579957 08/21/07 02:06 PM
Deputy
Deputy
ewww.

Don't judge me!
#579958 08/22/07 12:37 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
I also have been watching "Damages." I am quite enjoying this show. I also started watching "Flash Gordon" on SciFi, but am less than thrilled with it. I've seen only the first episode though, so I'll give it a bit longer. The only other thing I am watching now is "LA Law." I love syndication!

#579959 08/22/07 12:40 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm going back and watching all of the Dr. Whos i've DVRed over the summer...Daleks again? Really? I'm starting to get the feeling that sometimes I get from the postboot Legion--haven't we been here before? Am I supposed to know who the floating head is? Who's the cat lady? I'm sure that if I'd been watching Who on the Beeb for the last forty years, all of this stuff would mean something, but I haven't been, which just makes it kind of irritating. I do love the new woman, whose name escapes me. Wicked hot.

Don't judge me!
#579960 08/22/07 03:40 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
You know I've never seen Doctor Who. I mean as a kid I saw them on PBS. It was reruns of the one with big curly hair from the early to mid seventies.

Anybody recommend any of the newer stuff?

#579961 08/23/07 03:29 PM
Deputy
Deputy
If you've got an extra hour a week, it's good fun.

Don't judge me!
#579962 09/04/07 12:45 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Haven't watched a movie in a while. I knocked two out this weekend.

The Good Shepherd. Starring Matt Damon with a ton of famous people. GREAT MOVIE! Not sure why I liked it so much. It had a real boring CIA vibe...no action. I guess it was the retro stylized look of the CIA (or pre-CIA) of the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Cuba played a big part as well. Bay of Pigs/Bahia de los Cuchinos...my grandfather was detained in Cuba when that happened though he wasn't involved. Horrible story of how him and a few hundred men were detained in a theater for a week. I might tell it one day.

Anyways great film! I love history, i love the time period, i love the Yale Ivy League stuff, the Cambridge(Five spys...Crudup did a great job!), the english, russian, cuban connections.

The other film I saw was Lady in the Water. I heard bad things but it was better than I expected. My wife and I are big M.Night fans (writer/director) but this movie didn't draw us like his other ones. We were pleasantly suprised and won't doubt M. Night again. He rocks.

#579963 09/04/07 10:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This was a big movie week for me, in and out of theaters:
Bourne Ultimatum - really clever how they wove in pieces of the last movie into this one. All the spy/counterspy survellance stuff got kinda tired, but still a great spy flick
Transformers - Had to see it just to see it. Got what I expected from a Michael bay film. And yes, the Transformers were almost impossible to look at - like walking scrap piles.
The Prestige - very good film about obsession and illusions.
The Illusionist - not so very good film about the same.

#579964 09/05/07 11:39 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Drake, I badly want to see Bourne Ultimatum! Transformers I want to see but haven't had a chance.

I actually love The Prestige and the Illusionist. The Prestige is much better though.

#579965 09/05/07 01:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Haven't watched a movie in a while. I knocked two out this weekend.

The Good Shepherd. Starring Matt Damon with a ton of famous people. GREAT MOVIE! Not sure why I liked it so much. It had a real boring CIA vibe...no action. I guess it was the retro stylized look of the CIA (or pre-CIA) of the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Cuba played a big part as well. Bay of Pigs/Bahia de los Cuchinos...my grandfather was detained in Cuba when that happened though he wasn't involved. Horrible story of how him and a few hundred men were detained in a theater for a week. I might tell it one day.

Anyways great film! I love history, i love the time period, i love the Yale Ivy League stuff, the Cambridge(Five spys...Crudup did a great job!), the english, russian, cuban connections.

The other film I saw was Lady in the Water. I heard bad things but it was better than I expected. My wife and I are big M.Night fans (writer/director) but this movie didn't draw us like his other ones. We were pleasantly suprised and won't doubt M. Night again. He rocks.
As usual I'm with you on both!

The Good Sheperd was a solid movie that I really enjoyed. I thought along the same lines: "wow, this *should* seem really boring to me, but I'm pretty into it!". I thought the acting was spot-on and CIA connection to the Yale secret societies (and Britain's spy community) was worth watching the movie for that alone.

I was more positive going into Lady in the Water, but I also enjoyed it immensely. It was definately more off-beat and a 'smaller' film for M. Night, but that almost made it more enjoyable for me, since it was so much for him and his diehard fans, which I consider myself. Paul Giamatti, one of the greatest actors, well, ever, knocked it out of the park. When he finally breaks down near the end...well, that was enough to wow me. An emotional tide hit me, similar to Mel Gibson's breakdown at the close of Signs, showing that M. Knight knows when to give these guys the room to flex their acting muscles and use both the musical score and montage to create an emotional release after a build of dramatic tension.

#579966 09/05/07 05:40 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Lady in the Water was definitely underrated! Not M. Night's best movie by far, but certainly good.

#579967 09/05/07 06:01 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I wouldn't mind M.Night directing somebody else's scripts. For instance he is interested in doing a Potter film. That would rock!

Even though he is suppossed to write/direct a live action adaption of Avatar: The Last Airbender it's still not "his" property so it will be different. He did write the screenplay for the first Stuart Little film. smile

#579968 09/05/07 09:15 PM
I've got to watch a movie soon. I haven't contributed to this thread for eons.

Lately, I've been enjoying one of my greatest guilty pleasures on DVD -- Mission: Impossible. I was really into the show during the mid-90s, when the FX channel was showing reruns of it. A lot of stuff stretches credibility too far (people being fooled by rubber masks, to name the most obvious example), and if I took the political subtexts seriously for a moment, I would be horrified with myself for watching it. On the other hand, the cinematography and production values of the first few seasons are of big-screen quality, the editing style was groundbreaking, and all this exquisite technique is showcased in some of the best remastering I've ever seen for a TV show DVD. M:I Season Three, my favorite season, is due in November, and I'm counting the days.

Page 4 of 86 1 2 3 4 5 6 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,993
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
neopavlik
neopavlik
Florida
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star