Roll Call
0 members (), 4 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:36 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:55 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 86 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#580044 01/25/08 10:11 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Agreed. His portrayal made me hate him more than I've hated most any character in a movie, which shows how good a job he did.

#580045 01/26/08 11:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sick-day run to the library for DVDs.

Fido

I laughed. I cried. I chewed my fingers a little.

Pretty good soundtrack.

Back to the library to pick up a Squirrel Nut Zippers' CD.

#580046 01/26/08 09:57 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Fido? Is that a zombie movie?

Speaking of zombies (of sorts) I saw I Am Legend. I enjoyed it lots. Got into the story. The zombie-vampire things starting to get smart sure was scary.

I also saw FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer. It was fun. Some things were cheesy but I enjoyed it. I hate Doom though. The actor is all wrong. I mean Dr. Doom with bitch brows?! C'mon! I want a scary eastern-european type! Anyways, loved the special-effects.

#580047 01/26/08 10:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Fido? Is that a zombie movie?
A boy and his zombie, to be completely accurate. A whim pick off the shelf that turned out to be golden.

#580048 01/29/08 12:33 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Saw Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

I really liked it BUT I had to see it in two parts. I'm actually suprised it did as well as it did. There is lots of information to process and it isn't very clearn. It's not suppossed to be clear...they are pirates. My daughter passed out about an hour into. My wife and I tried to watch the rest but stopped it.

We decided we are missing to many elements of the film and will try to catch up. The next day I went on Wiki and started an outline of sorts. It wasn't easy. Came home...read it out loud to my wife...she then read it again and said "Got it". Watched the film again and loved it. smile

The entire series of film should be a miniseries of about 10 to 12 episodes. The last two especially have LOTS crammed into it. (I had to outline the first two films as well cause this film pulls so much from them)

If you are willing to do the homework it's a great film. I don't know if it was possible to streamline it without it being a completely different film.

Maybe film companies should do wht ABC does with Lost. They let you know there is homework. They make it an interactive experience. Just saying. smile Some of the promos can be an interactive toy/game to inform you of plotlines, subplots, etc.

#580049 01/30/08 04:05 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Or maybe the film needed an intermission during the film. Have Capt. Jack Sparrow explain what the heck is going on in a comical way. Wait 10 minutes and start again?

#580050 01/30/08 04:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I saw Pirates 3 on DVD (didn's see at cinema) without pausing or backtracking and didn't really find it confusing. What was considered most confusing about it?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#580051 01/30/08 05:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
To be honest, I didn't like Pirates 3. To the point where I've reccomended to my friends that they not bother wasting their time with it. Hard to pin down why. I'm even surprised I dislike it so much.

I was sick today too (hope you're feeling better BB!), so I watched a few movies I know Lady Cobalt has 0 interest in watching, including "The Horse Soldiers" with John Wayne. I borrowed it from my Dad and am glad I watched it. Its my favorite John Wayne western (the Quiet Man is my favorite of all of his films) and definately my favorite William Holden movie. It has everything a film needs, including some very genius cinematography, montage and mis en scene, all the while not losing its charm.

Have not been into television at all lately. I just stopped watching Nip/tuck a few episodes in...it just didn't capture my interest (neither did last season though). Other than NHL hockey and UCONN basketball, I hardly ever watch TV. I am trying to tune in for two MTV guilty pleasures: Road Rules/Real World challenge, even though its rotting my brain, and Making the Band, because daaaaaa-aaaamn I still have the hots for Aundrea and the other four girls are lookin' good too laugh

#580052 01/31/08 09:50 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Lard Lad here is some quesions about Pirates 3.

Why is Barbossa helping them rescue Jack?

All the deals brokered between characters.

Deal between Turner and Sao? Deal between Turner & Beckett? Deal between Jack & Bennet?

Davey Jones/Beckett deal was probably the only one I understood. On paper it's easy enough to understand but during the swashbuckling I got serious lost. (i was also at a theme park all day that day so I might've just been tired)

Cobie, I am going to the USF/Conn game a few Saturday's from now. smile And I thought you were too old for MTV already. tongue

#580053 02/02/08 07:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"Reign Over Me"

Another library DVD random pick winner, mainly chosen for Cheadle but with reservations about Sandler, me not being a big fan. Cheadle delivered as expected. I figured Sandler had to be getting recognition for his role, I thought it amazing. Most emotional guy scenes since Penn in Mystic River.

I looked at the Academy website to see if the movie got any nominations. Na Da. That really caught me by surprise, I thought the movie that emotional and that well played. Checked out Rotten Tomotoes to see what the buzz was. Best they had was "uneven" or awkward but without any real concrete examples of something wrong or missing. I could think of a couple scenes that didn't work great for me but not enough to call the entire movie awkward.

As a whole I thought it a really good movie with some great performances.

Makes me wonder if it's still not "too soon" for the public to be dealing with 9-11. After this Cloverfield eruption, it seems to me that many are still trying to take sole possesion of the pain of 9-11 as if it's theirs to not share.

There was a certain time at which Vietnam movies became acceptable, a time at which people were willing to outlay their feelings and grief.

Sometime in the future, I think there will be a movie referencing 9-11 that will be proclaimed "great," and it will in essence be this movie, just at a time when the public is willing to accept it.

#580054 02/03/08 07:19 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Blockade, I admit I stay away from 9/11 related works. Just too emotional even though it's been nearly 7 years.

I'm also not a big Adam Sandler fan but it would be interesting seeing him in a dramatic role. I'm just not a big comedy guy. Jim Carey? Pet Detective and Dumber films are not for me. But I love him in dramatic films. (Ok, Cable Guy was a dark comedy and I loved that)

I haven't even heard of Reign Over Me. I will keep it in mind. Thanks.

#580055 02/03/08 07:20 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
(just saw Saffron Burrows is in it...nice!)

#580056 02/03/08 10:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Blockade, I admit I stay away from 9/11 related works. Just too emotional even though it's been nearly 7 years.
I thought they did the right thing in this movie, purely post 9/11, a few years after the fact. Not exploitive at all but a look at the affect on one guy (mostly).

#580057 02/04/08 09:58 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Saw a movie I loved this weekend. Four Last Songs! As I said I'm a Tucci fan and it takes places in Mallorca (the island I honeymooned in and am totally obsessed with). Nuff said. It take place in modern times and it's about music composers. (usually when you think music composers you think period piece)

Loved this movie. Just ordered it from Amazon along with Big Night (another fave).

#580058 02/17/08 08:33 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I've seen quite a few films since my last post.

Shrek 3! Super funny!

I saw Eastern Promises with Vigo M. Really good. You know I figured out the suprise before hand...or atleast I suspected it. It made it funner cause I was looking for more clues to back up my assumption. Loved it.

I saw FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I didn't think it was all that bad. I enjoyed it.

This Valentine weekend the wife and I decided to go cheap. Movie night every night and pick up food.

We watched a somewhat disturbing film called Little Children. Great acting (Kate Winslet!), interesting story, etc. Jennifer Connolly is in it as well. The main guy is called Patrick Wilson. Did a really good job and I had to suck it up while he was walking around with a Men's Health body all the time. The funny thing is I looked him up at IMDB and I actually have met his brother twice! We have mutual friends (his brother and I). They are from the Tampa Bay area. I don't want to ruin the ending but it is not as horrific as I thought it was going to end. I thought it was surely going to give me that I want to throw up or cry feeling but it suprsingly didn't do that.

Saw the Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller. I haven't laughed out so loud so many times during a movie!

And finally I watched Chocolat with the mrs. Chocolate and Johnny Depp? How can I not indulge her. Depp wasn't in it much actually. Real good story taking place in the late 50s about a repressed small town in France. Juliette Binoche is the leading lady and she does fantastic. Alfred Molina is the "villain" and boy do you HATE HIM in this! He makes his Doc Ock seem tame! And it's funny even in this age I could relate with all the brimstone the conservative religious folks in my part of the world throw around.

Anybody see any of these movies? What you think? Or did you watch any Valentine specials? We usually watch Casablanca but after two years of doing that we thought we'd branch out. wink

#580059 02/21/08 09:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Shrek 3. The classes were a bit ahead but many had missed several days due to bad weather and needed to catch up so we had movie days. It's something watching some pretty hard core kids oohing at the cute babies or laughing out loud at the jokes, many of which I know were aimed more at someone my age. Shrek does a great job at finding jokes that hit several generations.

There were so many "life lessons," that were played so well, without shoving them down the viewers' throats.

A favorite scene amongst the girls was when Cinderella I think it was, singing all disney, suddenly went commando.

My favorite scene was probably "assume the position girls" or the "charlie's angels" pose. The vignete at home at the end was also a favorite.

Character i'd most like to be with, Queen lillian. Love a women that can give a good headbutt.

#580060 02/21/08 10:21 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Love a women that can give a good headbutt.
You know that almost sounds...well, um, anyways. Yes her knocking down a few walls with her forehead was impressive! smile

On Monday I saw the 1990s version of Lord of the Files. They changed quite a few things but the story was still the same. I don't care for the changes myself but I guess they wanted to make it different than the original film.

#580061 02/25/08 12:53 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN! Wow they really did well. Cobie called it didn't he?

I'm suprised Atonement didn't do better?

Best Actress: Marion Cotillard!!! That's the beautiful french girl from A Good Year. She is transformed into an old ugly singer!

Javier Bardem is a great actor as well. Overdue for him. Daniel Day Lewis won best actor. No suprise. He's amazing. It was him or Vigo. Tilda Swinton transformed into NORMAL! So many actors can't do normal. I gained respect for Depp when he a Nick of Time. He played a normal dad. Not a wierdo. Crazy and wierdo are overrated. smile Acting like a normal person is hard. Another good example is Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.

#580062 02/25/08 02:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't seen ANY of these movies nominated for best or with a lead actor.

What a dullard.

The oil one sounds my cup-of-tea. I like historical american settings. "No Country" doesn't sound right for me but it's the Coen's, so I must see.

#580063 02/25/08 06:49 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I also really want to see "There will be Blood" (the Oil movie). Daniel Day Lewis is just so extraordinary.

Kudos for "No Country". Truly was magnificent and Javier deserves it too.

I haven't seen Michael Clayton (and want to) but I really like Tilda Swinton. She's been in some really off-beat stuff, and I hear her performance is masterful and really makes the movie.

#580064 02/25/08 07:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Of the clips they showed, the acting that stood out to me was Hoffman (the Truman Capote guy), but I forget what movie that was.

#580065 02/25/08 09:32 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Blockade, that was Charlie Wilson's War. The clip by P.S. Hoffman does look great. Again he is acting like a normal joe learning Finnish for apparently no reason. smile

I haven't seen any of the films either except for the one Viggo was nominated for (Eastern Promises). I talked about that one a few posts ago. I highly recommend it. Viggo does a great job.

Lots of those films are coming out soon on DVD. Can't wait.

#580066 02/25/08 09:36 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I also really want to see "There will be Blood" (the Oil movie). Daniel Day Lewis is just so extraordinary.

I haven't seen Michael Clayton (and want to) but I really like Tilda Swinton. She's been in some really off-beat stuff, and I hear her performance is masterful and really makes the movie.
A few thoughts. Upton Sinclair wrote the book that There Will Be Blood is based on. He called Oil. (which I think you may know that)

Tilda Swinton is pretty cool. I want to see the film Orlando by her. It's based on the hero Rolando switching genders.

No Country...is based on a book by Cormac McCarthy. His other book Blood Meridian is on my to read list. I hear it's awesome. I also hear his the latest one The Road is pretty good. Viggo M is set to play the lead character in the movie adaption.

#580067 02/26/08 07:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Blood Meridian is the only Cormac McCarthy book I ever read (in college for American Lit). It's...interesting.

I have to say at first I didn't like it at all. But about two-thirds of the way through (and I may never have read the whole thing if not for it being college-related), I really started to get into it. McCarthy has such a ruthless, gritty style to his writing. I swear, reading a few chapters by him leaves you feeling like you just went ten rounds in the boxing ring and got the shit kicked out of you. Both because of the harsh, ruthless view he has of the world and because of his style of writing itself. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing--because I think that's what finally hooked me by the 2/3 point of his book.

Also, its just filled front to back with symbolism, allegory and very deep themes. Not all of them you'll quite get, but there is an excellent website on Blood Meridian (somewhere online) that will help you. I admit I wouldn't have gotten half of what I understood without the help of my American Lit professor.

I recommend it--but be prepared for something unlike you've ever read.

#580068 02/26/08 09:09 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I've never been able to get into McCarthy's stuff for some reason. He often gets compared to Faulkner, who is my absolute favorite writer, but while there's an obvious Southern Gothic influence on him, it just doesn't have the same appeal to me.

Page 8 of 86 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,476
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Zero Kahn
Zero Kahn
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star