Roll Call
0 members (), 6 Murran Spies, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 05/29/24 06:50 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/29/24 06:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/29/24 12:27 PM
"Death of a Legionnaire" -- LSH fan comic (DrakeB3004)
by DrakeB3004 - 05/29/24 09:51 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 29 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/29/24 09:46 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/29/24 07:46 AM
So what are you WATCHING? Part 2
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/29/24 07:31 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/29/24 02:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 86 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#580169 07/20/08 10:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"You Kill Me"

A killer (Ben Kingsly) is forced into AA because his drinking is getting in the way of his work. The description alone was enough to pique my distorted sense of humor but add in Tea Leoni (yumm) and one of my favorite character actors, Bill Pullman...

Did I mention it's also set in a funeral parlor?

#580170 07/20/08 09:44 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Sigh...

I'm nearly through everything I can find from the League of Gentlemen. Why none of you British posters made note of this series--leaving me to discover it by accident--is beyond me. I suppose you just wanted to keep it local.

#580171 07/31/08 06:07 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
The Mole. Although this season has been a bit lackluster, it's still one of the more involving reality shows. (And I'm supplementing it with episodes of Season 1 on DVD.)

#580172 08/02/08 01:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Eureka on Sci-fi.com since i don't have cable or satelite.

I just found the show a couple of weeks ago when i was out of town and it was on the hotel tv.

I like it, its a fun little show that doesn't try to be to grand.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#580173 08/08/08 07:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Friends of mine are big fans of Eureka, recently gave me the first two seasons to watch. I agree with you, they don't try to overdo it and the premises are fairly realistic. The character personalities, including the house, wink are some of the best on TV IMO.

I do wish they had more episodes with Lojack though.

#580174 08/08/08 08:15 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Yeah, until Heroes and Supernatural start up, Eureka is all I watch. (And even then, Heroes has burned me two seasons in a row, so they better get their act in gear!)

I kinda want the focus to go back to characters like Jo and the kid with the glasses who's always messing up. Zane annoys me and I am sending negative energy his way, in hopes that something bad happens to him. Zoe's boyfriend can also suffer the same mysterious and tragic fate, for all I care.

Also, the actress who plays Jo should play Wonder Woman. Something else else about her demeanor makes me think 'Amazon princess.' Or maybe it's just her nose.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#580175 08/08/08 02:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Jo does have a mediteranean look to me. Hank is probably my favorite character, easy for me to identify with but Jo would be a close second.

I've not seen Season 3, so Zane is still around? Not my favorite. Too out of character for Jo to put up with that without at least an armbar. There are enough wormholes floating around that place, both boyfriends could just disappear and it wouldn't even be necessary to wrap a show around it. Just asimple, hey, where'd those two go? Don't know, must have fallen into a wormhole.

Were there any other new characters for season 3?

#580176 08/08/08 03:36 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Blockade Boy: Were there any other new characters for season 3?
A corporate exec type, sent to improve Global Dynamic's bottom-line. She immediately rubs almost everyone the wrong way (implementing all sorts of fees and prices for things that are generally free in Eureka, like meals in Cafe Diem and arguing to shut down any 'pure research' that doesn't have money-making applications). I'm not sure, but she looks kind of like the chain-smoking case-worker, Juno, from Beetlejuice.

There's some nice passive-aggressive resistance to her ideas. After stating that meals at the Cafe are no longer free, she stops in for a coffee and the guy in charge says, 'That'll be 25 dollars.' The next person in line orders the same thing and he's like, 'Oh, no charge for you.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#580177 08/15/08 04:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Have to wait an entire year for the DVD. frown

Battlestar Galactica seasons 1-3. After Eureka and Stargate, have to say the dialogue and character personalities in BG comes off severely lacking. It does have that well defined goal (reaching Earth) and leading mystery (13th Cylon) the others don't so I was somewhat interested. The space scenes/battles were awesome but they would do some really dumb stuff like, have faster than light spaceships but not be able to stick something into a coin size hole to keep a spacedock from leaking air. crazy.

Mysery Alaska: hockey meets spectacular scenery in a slapstick comedy. It's great because see, it's really a guy flick but you can pass it off as a chick flick and score double points with your girl.

Does Russel Crowe make any bad movies?

#580178 08/15/08 05:55 PM
Active
Active
Weeds! Beside that, nothing. It's Summer, nothing is on.

Is that a moon?
#580179 08/27/08 02:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Control

About Ian Curtis and Joy Division.

Probably only hit home to me because this was my undergrad years and I had probably the only roommate in the entirety of rural/small town Indiana (Purdue) that was into new wave. The good old days, doing the sizzle on the cafeteria floor. We knew Devo before the world and all the Brians and Iggy before most of America did. Joy Division was a rumor.

#580180 09/04/08 08:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The final season of "The Shield" just started and I'm totally psyched! This is an awesome show - it's the kind of show where everything builds on everything else and one of the most important resolutions has been coming since the end of the pilot episode - can't wait to see how this all pans out!

#580181 09/07/08 05:04 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Drake, I'm also a huge SHIELD fan and am really psyched too! The quality has never faltered and even though I missed a bunch of eps last season, I'm still totally excited (and can always catch up on the DVD seasons).

#580182 09/07/08 07:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just watched the film, "How the West Was Won," this weekend for the very first time.

It is the prototypical example of the "All Star Epic" including turns by Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, and Henry Fonda. Admittedly, it's a bit dated (both in its historic approach and its filming technique - something called Cinerama that utilized three concurrent cameras and creates an effect that's a bit distracting on a flat screen) but for the sheer scope of what it attempts (a multi-generational tale that spans nearly the entire 19th century) it was quite impressive.

#580183 09/07/08 11:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What new shows are people interested in checking out?

Fringe: The most highly anticipated new show for me - the pedigree has a lot to live up to.

Dollhouse: Same as above, but less so. I'm not convinced Eliza Dushku is actually a good actress, despite how much Joss Whedon loves her.

My Own Worst Enemy: Nice to see Christian Slater in the spotlight again after years of supporting work. Interesting premise (I can see the pitch: "It's like a cross between 'Fight Club' and 'Alias'!")

#580184 09/22/08 12:29 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Drake,

I checked out the first episode of Fringe. It was good. Didn't love it but I will stick around for a few more episodes. Does the actress look just like Kate Blanchett or what? My wife is a fan of the Dawson Creek kid so it looks like we will be around for a bit. (He did good in Bobby).

I will also try to catch My Own Worst Enemy. I saw Slater in person once in 2001. Nice guy.

#580185 09/22/08 12:31 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
P.S. I haven't posted here in a long while. I've read it the thread recently and got lots of comments on what you guys wrote but I need time! I also have watched lots of films since my last post I have to post about.

Latest film I saw was Ratatouille yesterday. Loved it. I never got over being grossed out about the rats making the food though. Really well written. Brad Bird rocks! (writer/director did Incredibles as well) I was amazed by the animation!!! All these new comic films should be animated IMO. Not the cheap animation either.

#580186 09/22/08 08:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just watched "The Grifters" tonight, for the first time since seeing it in the theatre close to 20 years ago. It has aged, but that final scene still disturbed me with just how vicious it was.

I find it odd how numb I am to most movie violence, but every once in a great while I'm still capable of being shocked. Even knowing it was coming, this is still one of those scenes.

#580187 09/23/08 11:50 AM
Leader
Leader
We rented 3 DVDs this past weekend.

"The Fall" - Though I liked the highly stylized look of this movie, the story of a suicidal stunt man manipulating a young girl through his storytelling was a little depressing.

Ram Boy's Review: "meh, you decide."

"I Heart Huckabees" - Amazingly enough, I understood everything about this existential comedy so either I'm getting smarter or they did a kick-ass job with the screenplay.

Ram Boy's Review: "See it and you'll feel smartr afterwards!"

"The Other Boleyn Girl" - We were really over DVDs by this point so we didn't actually watch this historical drama.

Ram Boy's Review: I'm pretty sure it would have been an OK movie! But then again, it might have sucked!

#580188 09/23/08 12:30 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I recently saw The Other Boleyn Girl. It did a good job with the history of the subject. Showed all of those ugly politics that probably was the cause of all their ills. It got a bit bleak (as expected).

#580189 09/23/08 04:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
22 pages!
Took my breath away when I saw that.

I'm trying to stick with Fringe but the gal is kind of generic and big conspiracies are getting kind of old (that's all X-Files seemed to be about after awhile).
I'm giving Primeval a 'chance', too.
I like the characters and love the special effects but hate the long lost wife and the possible conspiracy that might be surfacing.

I'm looking forward to Sanctuary, though! I love Amanda Tapping and the idea of a Sci-Fi/Fantasy mix!

smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#580190 09/25/08 07:29 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Catching up with some old comments.

Still haven't seen Juno but it's on my list. smile

I know Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skulls didn't get great reviews but I'm going to buy it.

Also going to buy Iron Man when it comes which I enjoyed just as much as the Dark Knight if not more.

Have to borrow Dexter from a friend. Never seen one.

EDE, I gotta watch The Happening still. I always said M. Night reminds me of a modern Hitchcock. I have to buy that Hitchcock collection as well.

Lard Lad, really glad you checked out The Prestige. I keep telling people to watch it at work and no one has. That film is amazing.

#580191 09/25/08 07:48 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Films I've watched since my last posts...

Michael Clayton. Liked it.

No Reservations. As a huge Catherine Zeta-Jones fan and that NYC atmosphere I liked it. (Going to NYC in a month...it's been too long!)

Rush Hour 3 was horrible.

Sideways lived up to the hype. Really enjoyed it. Didn't know the main characters were such losers. Made the film more fun since I was suprised.

The Assassination of Jesse James. Ick. Probably a good book. It seemed to stick to the history pretty good. Didn't try to be glamorous. Brad Pitt did an OK job...not great. Didn't care for it. Way to long.

Goya's Ghost? About the artist Goya facing the strict catholic church and then the liberal yet oppressing French(Napolean). It was suprising. Had its moments. Natalie Portman did an amazing job acting. She was better here than in The Other Boleyn Girl. Javier Bardeem did very well also. Strange film though. The ending was pretty wacky.

Balls of Fury made me laugh. Watch it drunk though. Resident Evil: Extinction eh. Milla just does it for me so I watched it. It was fun/exciting.

Quills. Disturbing for the wrong reasons. I was expecting disturbing but I guess it still suprised me. Unless you are a real fan of the Marquis I suggest to skip it.

Knocked Up was pretty funny.

In Bruges with Colin Farrel, Ralph Fiennes, and Brendan Gleeson(love that guy) was really good. Two hitman from England just come off a kill and are sent to Bruges (Belgium) to hide out. Colin being the young hitman gets bored in this quiet but beautiful town. Gets into trouble. Highly recommend it!

Vantage Point. Pretty good. I expected better to tell the truth because it had so many good actors. Yet the nature of the film (fast, fast, fast) didn't give time for much great dialogue. I enjoyed it.

No Country for Old Men. Javier Bardeem freaked me out! Really good film though didn't care for the ending. Again based on a book I had to rewatch the two last scenes with Tommy Lee Jones a few times to "get it". Not sure if I did. smile

Jumper. Loved it. Just for the exciting escapism it provided and action!

Ladron Que Roba a Ladron. Spanish film based in Los Angeles. It's Ocean's 11 en el barrio. I really enjoyed it. My wife used the subtitles and she did as well so not much was lost in translation.

The Magus with Michael Cane. I'm a sucker for the european films that take place on a Mediterranean island BUT this film wasn't great. Had a young hot Candice Bergen(Murphy Brown). Cane had way too much make up. Still enjoyed some parts of it. Woody Allen I think said this was the worst film ever made. It wasn't that bad but it was bad. smile

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Loved it! Alberty Finney I believe is one of the best actors ever! His Hercule Peroit was amazing! I'm a sucker for detective fiction stuff though.

Just the Ticket was an Andy Garcia/Andie MacDowell was a film I enjoyed 10 years ago on HBO. While my wife really enjoyed it I didn't care for it the 2nd time around. I'm a fan of both actors though so I wanted to check it out again.

Blah! Sorry guys I started this thread and haven't posted in months. Life has been really busy but as you see I've still been watching movies. Will post about what shows I'm watching later. wink

Anybody seen or have ideas about these films I just posted?

#580192 09/25/08 08:20 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Drake,

I checked out the first episode of Fringe. It was good. Didn't love it but I will stick around for a few more episodes. Does the actress look just like Kate Blanchett or what? My wife is a fan of the Dawson Creek kid so it looks like we will be around for a bit. (He did good in Bobby).
I was on the fence about this after the first episode, but I'm actually starting to dig it. There are a couple of that I find really distracting, though, like Anna Torv's accent which comes and goes. I'm not sure I like the Will Eisner-esque integration of the location info into the backgrounds. I mean, I like the concept, but I'm not sure it works in live action stuff.

#580193 09/25/08 08:26 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Loved it! Alberty Finney I believe is one of the best actors ever! His Hercule Peroit was amazing! I'm a sucker for detective fiction stuff though.
For some reason I remember not really caring for this adaptation. Big fan of the book, though.

Page 13 of 86 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,786
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Peck's Bad Boy?
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Igee The Mighty
Igee The Mighty
Manila, The Philippines
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star