Roll Call
0 members (), 12 Murran Spies, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/30/24 04:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/30/24 07:24 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/30/24 05:50 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/30/24 04:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/30/24 04:51 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 29 May 24
by razsolo - 05/30/24 04:51 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 05/29/24 06:50 PM
"Death of a Legionnaire" -- LSH fan comic (DrakeB3004)
by DrakeB3004 - 05/29/24 09:51 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 86 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#580219 10/20/08 10:48 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Saw 28 Weeks later. Rose Byrne is just so perfect.

It was pretty good. I mean no way that would ever happen. They have like 18 soldiers watching all of London. I was never "scared" but my blood pressure did get pretty high. I felt like boarding up the windows. smile

Quick thoughts about the actors...

Robert Carlyle. Always like him. My favorite film of his is Plunkett & Macleane.

Catherine McCormack. She hasn't been in that many things but has that beautiful face you know you've seen somewhere. Braveheart, Spy Game, Sound of Thunder (ick!). She's also in Shadow of the Vampire and Tailor of Panama but I haven't seen those films yet.

The wife and I are going to try to watch some scary films this month. Next is Hannibal Rising.

#580220 10/21/08 12:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Loved it! Alberty Finney I believe is one of the best actors ever! His Hercule Peroit was amazing! I'm a sucker for detective fiction stuff though.
This story- book or movie- has just about the most jawdropping murder solution ever!! Seriously, between this and TEN LITTLE INDIANS/AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, can there be any doubt that Ms. Christie is/was the queen of the mystery denouement!

Maybe this belongs in the reading thread, but there *was* an adaptation of my favorite less famous Christie work-- THE HOLLOW.

Unfortunately, the movie just didn't capture the charm and distinctiveness of the characters that came across in the book.

It, too, has an elegant solution to the murder mystery- but not one nearly as 'big' as those of her more famed mysteries.

EDE-- the first time I saw the film version of ORIENT EXPRESS, I wasn't that impressed either. It seemed really slllooowww. But I watched it again not too long ago and enjoyed it much more. Give it another chance one of these days.

#580221 10/21/08 06:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Spike TV was airing Empire and Jedi back to back leading into the 2008 scream awards show. i had nothing better to do and since it Star Wars i'll watch it and then check out the 2008 Scream awards show @ 9pm.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#580222 10/21/08 09:01 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN:
Spike TV was airing Empire and Jedi back to back leading into the 2008 scream awards show. i had nothing better to do and since it Star Wars i'll watch it and then check out the 2008 Scream awards show @ 9pm.
Yeah I know what you mean. Star Wars films (old ones) are just hard to change the channel to. So are the Indiana Jones. No matter how many times I see them I still can't change the channel.

#580223 10/21/08 09:05 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Mystery Lad, I think I just found out why you call yourself that. wink

I'm a BIG fan of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. But from what everybody tells me I have to read Christie's work. Never have. I've seen a couple of the films.

A buddy of mine just saw Witness for the Prosecution (1957) and said it was really good. Starring Tyrone Power and directed by Billy Wilder.

#580224 10/22/08 04:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You're too smart for your own good. Now I'll have to kill you. Something else else involving an airtight locked room, maybe?

Ha-ha-ha! Evil cackle...

WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION is a good movie, based on a play, rather than a novel, I believe. Tyrone Power stars, but Marlene Dietrich walks away with the movie and slaps it in her back pocket on the way out.

Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester are entertaining in it, too.

I look forward to reading your thoughts about Agatha Christie's work when you get to it. Most of them are fairly quick reads.

#580225 10/22/08 05:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The British series on Mystery! is so good reading Christie isn't enough ~ you have to watch them.

I still haven't seen her final Peroit or Marple books made into movies, though.
I loved both of them, as books!

My favorite Holmes movie is the one not written by Doyle, the one about the teen Sherlock that sets up his lifelong fight with Moriority (sp?), the beginning of his friendship with Watson and why he never married.
I can't remember the title, exactly, or the stars but it was on TV recently.

I've always enjoyed the old Charlie Chan movie/mysteries, too.

Fringe was interesting and pretty weird last night!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#580226 10/24/08 05:48 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I remember liking Charlie Chan as a kid.

Young Sherlock Holmes? Came out in 85. If that is the one I liked it as well.

Speaking of Sherlock how about the amazing news of Guy Ritchie directing a Sherlock film with Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock, Jude Law as Watson and Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler(I love Rachel McAdams).

Ritchie promised who won't do it his usual style and would stick with a classical Holmes but the studio wants it to be more action/adventure. Sounds good to me!

The last Fringe was about the people that are living microwave ovens?

#580227 10/24/08 04:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Young Sherlock Holmes it was!

Robert Downy Jr. as Sherlock?
WOW!
Well, at least he has the drug problem part down!
Sorry ~ he'd probably be great, it's just the accent might be a stretch.
lol

Yah, EXPLODING HEAD microwave ovens.
Gads.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#580228 10/26/08 09:45 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Watched Hannibal Rising today. It wasn't bad. It possibly made Hannibal too sympathetic and not creepy enough. I am thinking they were trying to show it can happen to anyone?

I expected it to be more disturbing than it was.

#580229 10/27/08 10:44 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Anyone been watching Crusoe? I'm not wowed by it, but it's pretty decent. It's a bit of Lost meets Pirates of the Carribean meets Swiss Family Robinson.

#580230 10/27/08 07:25 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by Candle:
Robert Downy Jr. as Sherlock?
WOW!
lol
He's already done the accent, in Chaplin, and he did it quite well IMO.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#580231 10/27/08 07:32 PM
I watched legendary Italo-Horror director Dario Argento's most recent movie, Mother of Tears, hoping it might be a late-career return to form...it wasn't. frown

That said, it's not entirely without interest, either.

I talk about it more on my blog:

http://iammilk-milk.blogspot.com/2008/10/cinema-mother-of-tears.html

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#580232 10/29/08 01:10 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Anyone who's not watching "Life on Mars" is really missing out on a terrific show!

If you haven't heard the premise, it's about a New York City detective, Sam Tyler, who is struck by a car and wakes up in 1973. For some reason he finds exists in that era as himself and on that era's police force as a recent transfer. He has no idea why he's there and what his purpose is, though it's hinted often that he's in a coma in 2008.

The series is just plain lotsa fun! Seeing him experience the culture of the '70s and the brash tactics of the '70s police is a hoot. I've never been particularly fond of Harvey Keitel, but he's terrific as Lt. Gene Hunt. It's fun seeing Sam and Gene (often literally!) duke it out every episode. Jason O'Mara is a budding superstar as Sam.

Love the '70s hairdos and clothes, the hippies and even the social commentary about Now vs. Then. The show definitely has a serious side, but the more whimsical side is what's drawn me in.

If you're curious, you can easily catch up on it at ABC.com, unless I'm mistaken. This quirky show deserves a chance!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#580233 10/29/08 05:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Stealth:
Originally posted by Candle:
[b]Robert Downy Jr. as Sherlock?
WOW!
lol
He's already done the accent, in Chaplin, and he did it quite well IMO. [/b]
I know he's a darn good little actor.
I was just kidding.

And I thought Chaplin was from the silent era of movies ~ a 'silent' actor.
lol

Sorry, sometimes I get on a tare or something!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#580234 11/01/08 06:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
TCM was just showing "Forbidden Planet" one of the true Sci-fi greats. this is another one of those movies that i have to take time out to watch no matter what anytime it comes on.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#580235 11/01/08 06:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Mmmmm Altaira. Tasty.

#580236 11/04/08 11:07 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Lard Lad, that sounds very interesting. Have to fit it into my schedule.

Just saw the French Connection. Now that was good! Old school tough guy cops in old school seedy NYC! Popeye Doyle is a loose cannon! It's hard to like the character after he killed one of his own men but darn it I'm watching part II tomorrow! Doyle will get his man! So this was Hackman's breakout film? I can easily see why.

#580237 11/06/08 01:43 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I was so pumped up about FC I saw French Connection II. Popeye Doyle in Marseille! Oh boy was that BAD! Lots of long useless scenes. The first one had similar scenes but they were better. I fell asleep like 5 times. This was at 9:30pm which is early for me. Why didn't the bad guys just kill Doyle? They made him a junkie instead?! I want those 2 hours of my life back! Still in the mood for cool seventies cinema though!

#580238 11/06/08 07:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
era of the car chase scene. just a bit earlier, 68, but now I've a taste to pick up "Bullet."

#580239 11/06/08 11:41 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
era of the car chase scene. just a bit earlier, 68, but now I've a taste to pick up "Bullet."
Yup, that was a good car chase scene (will car chasing commuter train).

#580240 11/11/08 07:53 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by LardLad:
Anyone who's not watching "Life on Mars" is really missing out on a terrific show!

If you haven't heard the premise, it's about a New York City detective, Sam Tyler, who is struck by a car and wakes up in 1973. For some reason he finds exists in that era as himself and on that era's police force as a recent transfer. He has no idea why he's there and what his purpose is, though it's hinted often that he's in a coma in 2008.

The series is just plain lotsa fun! Seeing him experience the culture of the '70s and the brash tactics of the '70s police is a hoot. I've never been particularly fond of Harvey Keitel, but he's terrific as Lt. Gene Hunt. It's fun seeing Sam and Gene (often literally!) duke it out every episode. Jason O'Mara is a budding superstar as Sam.

Love the '70s hairdos and clothes, the hippies and even the social commentary about Now vs. Then. The show definitely has a serious side, but the more whimsical side is what's drawn me in.

If you're curious, you can easily catch up on it at ABC.com, unless I'm mistaken. This quirky show deserves a chance!
Has anyone ever told you you have good tastes sir?

#580241 11/11/08 08:06 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
I take it you're a fan, Des? I'd love for you to share your thoughts!

#580242 11/12/08 10:08 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
From two pages ago...

Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I caught the Season premiere of Life on Mars last night. Actually pretty well done and entertaining. A good mesh of drama, angst, humor, tension and pretty well paced. Plus, lots of great actors. I might try to keep up on this one.
That was after the premiere and I've caught several episodes since. I think the show is really just excellent, and a ton of fun to boot. There are several reasons I like it but I'll give you my big ones:

(1) The main actor (Sam) - you know what, this guy is a *star*. He's likeable, he gives deep performances, yet he's funny as hell when he wants to be and usually its when he's being subtle about it.

(2) The general back and forth between funny moments (laughed out loud by the Vanilla Ice sequence last week) and the deadly serious and very poignant moments. So much of the show is about how things have changed for the better since 1973, or perhaps some things for the worse, and perhaps have not really changed much at all. And that works so well for humor and for the most serious and powerful of themes.

(3) The sense of style - man, its FUN. And I have no great love of the 1970's and in fact am generally pretty damn glad I missed 'em! But its very stylistically done but also done very...hm, 'gritty' is too strong a word, but...genuine? It feels very street level, very POV from the everyday guy (rather than some Hollywood startlet, soldier in Southeast Asia or March on Washington hippie, etc.).

(4) The part I like the most is they play up the part of the early 1970's that is usually very associated with the era--the sense of not knowing where the world is going or even who you are from an individual's point of view, and how this was a very real and despairing feeling then. And then they show Sam, who usually at first appears to not feel this way, to be confident and flexing his modern sense of knowing what it is right...and then he has his moments where those attitudes come right into play. And you're left wondering if perhaps some of those attitudes are still very much with us today? Those sequences are very groovy.

Its probably my favorite new show besides Sons of Anarchy (I'd say both equally tied for being very rare great shows right now).

#580243 11/19/08 01:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, Des, and "Life on Mars" just keeps getting better! I just caught up on last week's episode, and it's just as enjoyable, if not moreso, than it has been from the start. Loved Sam wowwing his P.D. with the Michael Jackson moves! lol

One thing I was happy to see is that after that last episode, I think we're more likely to see Sam exploring the "sexual revolution" side of the '70s--something I'd wanted to see him do more in that era. If you've seen the episode, you'll understand why!

I hope he doesn't settle into a relationship with "No-Nuts" (though I do lover her!) too quickly and explores the wildside a little!

Page 15 of 86 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,803
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Peck's Bad Boy?
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star