Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 13 Murran Spies, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:47 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:45 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:44 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:43 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:40 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:55 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 86 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#580394 05/23/09 10:21 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Re: New shows.

"V" is the only thing that really strikes me as interesting thus far. I remember kind of liking the original series when I was a kid (I think I even had some of the comics). Elizabeth Mitchell certainly isn't going to hurt the show.

#580395 05/23/09 06:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cobie- Deborah Kerr is one of my favorites! She classes up just about everything in which she appeared. THE KING & I, NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, TEA AND SYMPATHY are a few others I recommend.

DOUBLE INDEMNITY-- def. in my top 10 to 15 beloved movies. That dialogue when Stanwyck and McMurray first meet is laugh-out-loud funny and sexy. Pretty much one of the models on which movie couple scenes/dynamics are based. Not many can approach. Barbara Stanwyck is possibly *the* most versatile actress who became a movie star.

EDE- McMurray's career before Disney and My Three Sons was a long one. He did lots of romantic comedies. One I like a lot is TOO MANY HUSBANDS, which is a variation on the spouse-coming-back-from-the-dead-on-the-eve-of-"widow/widowers-remarriage story. McMurray's the one coming back from the dead and Jean Arthur's his 'widow'. Melvyn Douglas is the 'third wheel'. It's a cute screwball comedy which ends in a rather unique scene.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> The trio meet up at a night club and share a dance with all three- implying that a menage-a-trois has formed. Kind of racy, even for now. </span></span>

#580396 05/23/09 06:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Re: Older movies.
I'm kinda in a rock movie phase now. Seen most of the Beatles flicks including Lennons "Imagination." Scorcese has a series on the blues that is hit or miss.
I saw a TOMMY a few weeks ago at the University of Tennessee. It was a great production which makes me want to view the movie (Roger Daltry, Ann Margaret and Oliver Reed) again. The end of the stage production I saw was one of the most rousing, life affirming things I've seen. I don't remember that from the movie at all. I want to see if it was the stage director's interpretation, or something that went over my head when I saw the movie.

#580397 05/24/09 08:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just got the "spaced" series from Netflix starring jessica Stevenson and Simon Pegg. Not as funny as I thought it would be, but still very good.

You can see that a lot of Pegg's future work has its roots in that show.

It took me a while to realize that Mark Heap was also the Doctor from Green Wing. He was a lot thinner and looked a lot different in Spaced.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#580398 05/27/09 03:49 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Watched Mental last night and liked it.

Primeval started on BBC a couple of weeks ago and Torchwood is supposed to have a preview next Sunday during Primeval.

So I'm pretty happy.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#580399 05/28/09 04:28 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Cobi, I agree with you 100% Vicky Barcelona and Jesse James.

Saw a recent pulp film called The Man Who Wasn't There. It was interesting. A bit slow but I liked it. Coen Bros film where they used lots of pulp film noir shots. It's not cheerful.

Saw Ronin with Deniro & Luc Besson. I'm a big Mamet fan who wrote it. First 1 hour was really good. Lots of quality action and then the 25 minute car chase put me to sleep. While I like old school stuff...car chases died with the seventies. I never saw the end.

Speaking of action. TAKEN with Neeson had plenty. Like Ronin it just had sharp writing and quality non-stop action. It also has a connection. Luc Besson was a writer for it.

#580400 05/28/09 06:54 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I recorded a marathon of Philo Vance movies off TCM the other day, and have been watching them since. They're pretty solid mysteries. One cool thing I noticed: the coroner has a habit of saying things like "I'm a doctor, not an X" or "I'm a coroner, not an X". I wonder if that was the inspiration for the famous Star Trek catch-phrase?

#580401 05/31/09 01:23 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I saw Pixar's latest film "Up" Friday with my family. This movie had a lot going for it and had a great heart at its center, but I was ultimately let down by the plot as it turned out. The 'threat' or 'problem' was a little underwhelming to me and felt a little too manufactured compared to what I expect from Pixar. I mean, it was fun and all, and there were some really cool things--but it just felt more like what I would expect to see from the also-ran studios like Dreamworks.

Don't get me wrong..."Up" far from sucked! I mean, the first few minutes of it are genuinely heartbreaking in one of the most effective dialogueless sequences I've ever seen in an animated film. Hell, I almost cried! But after a point, it really felt more generic and formulaic like any other animated film you'd see from any other studio. With recent Pixar classics like "Wall*E", "Ratatouille", "Finding Nemo", "Monsters, Inc." and "The Incredibles" to use as comparisons, I couldn't help but feel "Up" should have reached muched higher.

Still, do check it out; it's definitely worth a look. I'd be curious how any other Pixar fans here might feel it measures up.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#580402 06/01/09 01:25 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
To Catch a Thief – I was surprised when I realized I never saw this movie but thought for many years that I had. I’m a huge Hitch fan, and I really like Cary Grant a real lot (particularly when he’s with Hitch). I also really enjoy Grace Kelly and think she was absolutely stunning as well as very charming. Well, now that I’ve watched it, after hearing praise for it for several years, I have to say I thought it was a solid, good movie, but its definitely not one of my favorite of Hitch’s films. Its hard to explain why, but I think overall I found it slightly bland. The scenery spectacular (I couldn’t think of any other movies filmed on the French Riveria), Cary Grant was charming and fun as ever, Grace Kelly was great, and the dialogue was very witty and snappy which I what I was expecting and hoping for. I also was pleasantly surprised to see Jesse Royce Landis in the movie (recognizing her from one of my favorites and a much better film, North by Northwest) and she was truly excellent here, even stealing the scenes from Grant & Kelly which is no small feat. I figured out the plot about half way through, and so did Lady Cobalt, so it wasn’t exactly a shocker, but still an enjoyable twist. All in all a very good effort and worth a solid watch, but not overly spectacular. Everyone does a fine job, of course, but I like North by Northwest better for Cary Grant/Hitch, and Rear Window better for Grace Kelly/Hitch. Someone said “To Catch a Thief has all the elements of the various Hitchcock films”, and that’s true (mother figure, icey blonde, false accusations, etc.) but I think all those things are done better in other movies.

Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
While I like old school stuff...car chases died with the seventies. I never saw the end.
You said it! Man, I can’t stand watching yet another stupid car chase scene anymore. They should have just retired them all together when Steve McQueen stopped acting. Even Tarrantino’s “Death Proof”, which was a tribute to those old 70’s car chases, couldn’t get me all that interested. To Catch a Thief has not one but two of these and they add an element of blandness to the movie it could have done without.

Gettysburg – I saw this movie several times over the years because its one of my father’s all time favorite movies. But I hadn’t watched it all the way through in a long time (usually just catching several scenes). Gettysburg is truly for people who are (a) Civil War buffs, (b) want to see real heroism in action during war movies and (c) do not preach to you about right & wrong but simply present a story from all angles. My father is all of the three and he loves this movie. And I also love it too, and was delighted by the movie once more. There are so many great actors and so many great sequences that its truly moving. I was moved to tears about five separate occasions. The movie is hugely long—its over 4 hours, so pack a lunch. Its also essentially three movies in one, each day of Gettysburg getting a full hour plus story. And there is no real sense of beginning or end other than the fighting at Gettysburg, so the sense of the Civil War existing three years prior to the movie and going on another two years is apparent, and may leave some viewers with a lack of closure, but I thought it was a pretty realistic depressing sense that is conveyed. At the same time, the heroism of Col. Chamberlain, executing what students of history recognize to be the single most brilliant military move in the history of the United States is nothing short of extraordinary. And Sam Elliot gives a brief performance as Bufford in the beginning that is subtly full of every emotion in the spectrum, including one moment that moved me in a way I didn’t see coming. Tom Berenger as General Longstreet is the best role of his entire career; C. Thomas Howell as Chamberlain’s brother is likely his best performance too. It really is a moving epic, though its obvious its not the kind of movie Hollywood critics will ever like or even want to see succeed. Which is fine; let them keep the crap they usually like laugh

#580403 06/02/09 12:20 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Saw the latest Bond flick. Loved it. He was pretty dark in it...almost too dark for me. It seems he's reconciled at the end. Great action scenes (though the chase on the Sienna rooftops was a bit too much like the Bourne Morocco rooftop chase).

STATE OF GRACE. 1990. NYC irish mobster flick. Really good actors here. A young Sean Penn, Gary Oldman, Robin Wright, John Turtoro(sp), Ed Harris. Good movie. Takes place in Hell's Kitchen.

#580404 06/02/09 05:47 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I saw the Brendon Fraser version of Journey to the Centre of the Earth a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty entertaining. Nothing extraordinary, but overall a decent take on Verne's basic concept.

#580405 06/03/09 04:28 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I saw the Brendon Fraser version of Journey to the Centre of the Earth a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty entertaining. Nothing extraordinary, but overall a decent take on Verne's basic concept.
It was a bit corny and Fraser is getting old. smile But it was decent. And I am somewhat of a Fraser fan but the dye job on an aging guy...not good.

#580406 06/03/09 04:41 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think I've yet to see a version of JttCotE that isn't at least a little bit corny. I think the concept just lends itself to that. Especially with Fraser who does the slightly goofy but not over the top thing better than just about anybody.

Well, at least it was a lot better than the version with Pat Boone. wink

#580407 06/03/09 04:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Getting old? Damn folks, he's younger than I am and I don't feel thaaat old. Nobody stays pretty forever, lol. Receeding hairlines, lines on the face, a little puffyness from age and food...thats life.

Something pithy!
#580408 06/03/09 07:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Brendon Fraser: He's like the anti-Keanu Reeves. One's in Encino Man and the other, Bill and Tedd. It's the same guy. After that, complete split, like in Star Trek. Good Kirk and Evil Kirk.

Fraser can be fun. I've yet to see God's and Monsters and I know he can do "real," just his real seems more real than Reeves' real. I just do not know anyone as stiff as Reeves' characters.

Still on my old movie search. Watched "Red River," with The Duke. Not his best and poorly edited movie. Just jumped around without making it's point until a forced dialogue near the end clears it up. That's how ya know a director knows the movie hoovers, when there's a long solilyquey (someone spell that word for me) near the end to try and make the pieces fit.

Hard to find John Wayne movies at the library.

Speaking of Barbara Stanwyck, I've got Crime of Passion ready to go into the player.

#580409 06/04/09 08:58 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
For particularly good "serious" Fraser, check out The Quiet American, also starring Michael Caine.

#580410 06/07/09 05:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks, I'll try and track that one down.

Te'a Leoni should be in every movie made.

Just thought it needed mentioning.

#580411 06/07/09 09:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
1st ten-twelve minutes of this year's Tony Awards= best opening to any awards programs... ever!

#580412 06/09/09 01:47 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Fraser was also in Crash right? I haven't seen that one yet.

#580413 06/09/09 02:00 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, he's in it, but I haven't seen it either. Everytime I think about watching it I get flashbacks of horrible James Spader movie with the same title.

#580414 06/09/09 07:06 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
*dragging a topic started in What Are You Reading*

Speaking of Appalachian area being one of the poorest areas in the US...has anyone seen SQUIDBILLIES??? It's in the Appalachian part of Georgia.

Adult Swim show that is hilarious! I just found out about and have been watching episodes on Adult Swim's website and You Tube. Never heard of it until recently. I'm not a big fan of cartoons (Simpsons, South Park) but this one really hooked me.

#580415 06/10/09 10:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Eureka returns tonight. Definately gonna be watching that. Even get to see it on the TV since the braves are on peachtree tv, which apparantly isn't available inside the US except in the atlanta area, but available in canada and everywhere else. peachbastards.

Something pithy!
#580416 06/12/09 03:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sorry, folks. Eureka returns July 10th, not June 10th. I was major disappointed.

Something pithy!
#580417 06/12/09 08:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, I'm NOT watching the Stanley Cup final as my poor 13 inch tv and convertor does not seem to be able to pick up a signal, sigh.

For $5.99 at the Rite-Aid I did pick up a DVD package of 20 old spaghetti and early tv westerns. Some fairly good stars in them, though the quality of the recordings is generally bad, some of the stories have been clever.

I highly recommend "Any Gun Can Play" with Ed "Kookie" Brynnes. Double and triple crosses all over as different factions try to track down hidden gold stolen from a military train.

#580418 06/17/09 08:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Anyone watch the concert of CHESS on PBS? I'd like to hear what people thought of it.

Page 22 of 86 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,481
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rtvu2
rtvu2
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star