Roll Call
2 members (Nightcrawler, thoth lad, thoth lad), 9 Murran Spies, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/30/24 02:01 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/30/24 07:24 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/30/24 05:50 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/30/24 04:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/30/24 04:51 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 29 May 24
by razsolo - 05/30/24 04:51 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 05/29/24 06:50 PM
"Death of a Legionnaire" -- LSH fan comic (DrakeB3004)
by DrakeB3004 - 05/29/24 09:51 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 86 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#580519 03/05/10 08:42 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Community is a great series! A lot of differen characters bring the funny. I love the roll credits sequences each episode.

30 Rock is one I dong follow but catch sometimes. My wife hates it because they always win awards. I watched the Jon Hamm episodes recently on a plane (love Mad Men) and thought they were great.

#580520 03/05/10 11:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Lately I've been addicted to a group of documentaries collectively called the "Up Series".

In 1963, a group of English 7-year olds from different backgrounds were interviewed on topics ranging from the class system to race relations to gender issues. The conceit was that these children would be representatives of the generation who would be in power in the year 2000. The initial program was called "7 Up".

The same group was interviewed 7 years later at age 14, and thus started a series that could very easily be called the first "reality series," as subsequent entries visited the same group at ages 21, 28, 35, 42, and 49, with "56 Up" currently in preproduction.

I'm up to the 35 episode and am just astounded at what a beautiful experiment this series is. It's like a stone was skipped through time, allowing you just the briefest touch points as you watch these fourteen people grow in ways that for some you could have well predicted at age 7, but for others you never could have imagined.

I'm not doing it justice, but it's good, good stuff.
I love this series! I first saw 7, 14 & 21 Up when I was a teenager and have caught the rest (up to 42) as each one came out. It made me kinda feel like I was growing up with them.

It's a devastatingly powerful series. Just thinking about how all the grand hopes and dreams of those 7 and 14 year-olds are either slowly destroyed by the bitter disappointments and mundane realities of growing up and facing a harsh world, or are ultimately fulfilled and transcended through their acceptance and happiness in the lives they eventually find for themselves, makes me emotional even now.

There is a US version and I think a couple of other countries have versions too but the UK one is definitely the best (and by far the longest running) so I would recommend starting there if anyone is interested in checking them out.

#580521 03/14/10 06:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm in the middle of 28Up ... truly an amazing examination of the paths one's life can take ... I've gotten so invested in some of the participants' lives, I have to keep myself from "spoiling" it by looking up on wikipedia what happened to everybody ...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#580522 03/22/10 07:10 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I rewatched Clue with my wife the other day. You know, it holds up pretty well! Its funny, the actors & actresses all deliver in every scene and there is a great bit of mystery in it to make you think. The dialogue is snappy and it shows just how awesome Tim Curry might have been if he'd had the career Clue made it seem like he might have had. I used to love this movie as a kid and I like it even more as an adult.

I also watched The Wicker Man (the original); this is the second time I've seen it. But wow, I forgot how offbeat and weird it is! It's not scary really, and only eerie for like two minutes in total--but rather, just plain weird. But that isn't a bad thing, as I do like the movie quite a bit. You can see how it played on the fears of people during the early 70's and their inability to understand the hippie movement post-Charles Manson. Christopher Lee is incredible as always though here he is obviously just enjoying being Christopher Lee and playing parts in the Hammer horror films in whatever way he felt like playing just then. And of course the final few minutes are just fantastic and horrific--again, not scary, just horrific because it feels so realistic. I think in terms of horror movies, the Wicker Man stands apart in a class of its own; I wish more directors would go this route and just get completely offbeat.

#580523 03/22/10 07:13 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As for TV, besides Lost I'm kind of just catching things here and there these days. One show I've started trying to watch when I can is House. Its on basically all the time but I of course am watching all the seasons out of order. That's okay because the show is really just fantastic. Hugh Laurie does a great job but so does his large supporting cast, and the writing is intelligent and thought-provoking. Great show--I'm considering buying the seasons.

And I find myself watching Castle more and more. It's one of those shows that's just plain fun and it thrives on the strengths of the actors. Both of the two leads are smart, funny, have great dialogue, have emotional and poignant moments when it calls for it and have incredible sexual tension. It's more light-hearted and in all the best ways.

#580524 03/22/10 09:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^ I love Clue. I must have seen it at least a hundred times. It's weird that an actor as talented and charismatic as Tim Curry is didn't have a bigger career.

Something else else I'm watching - Fringe. A friend leant me the first season on DVD and I'm about 5-6 episodes in. He told me it was a bit like The X-Files but to that I want to say "I knew The X-Files and this sir is no X-Files." I'm finding it really boring. And I don't like any of the characters either. My love of JJ Abrams (thanks be to Lost) is the only thing keeping me going at this point.

So my question is - Have any of you Legion Worlders watched it? Does it get better? Should I stick with it?

#580525 03/22/10 09:58 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I lost interest in "Fringe" after two or three episodes. I found it very annoying, with a "weird just for the sake of being weird" vibe.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#580526 03/22/10 10:02 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I was on the fence about Fringe for the first few episodes but thought it got better as it went along. It never gets mindblowingly good or anything, but worth watching I'd say. I haven't watched the second season.

#580527 03/22/10 10:04 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
As I type this I'm watching the episodes of Flashforwad that are available on abc.com.

It's pretty impressive. Wish I'd been watching it all along.

#580528 03/22/10 10:06 PM
Peter Graves' passing has made me break out the Mission: Impossible DVDs. Reviews of selected episodes to come.

#580529 03/23/10 12:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I was on the fence about Fringe for the first few episodes but thought it got better as it went along. It never gets mindblowingly good or anything, but worth watching I'd say. I haven't watched the second season.
Yeah, I have to say that Fringe really picks up in quality as the series goes on. I'd take a bit further than EDE in my praise and say the last few episodes really are pretty damn terrific. I'd say its the second best sci-fi television show in ages (after Lost).

For me it beats X-Files hands down, but while I liked X-Files I was never a major devotee (of course, when it was out was during my early formative teen years, so I was distracted to say the least).

#580530 03/23/10 01:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
We've been watching the "Bridge" these last few weeks. The pilot was fantastic, the second episode a little disturbing and the third one was a head scratcher. I really have no Idea where it's developing to, but it's sure been interesting.

#580531 03/23/10 04:52 PM
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Episode 3.1, "The Heir Apparent."

Quite blatantly sing "Anastasia" as a blueprint, the third season opener packs enough twists and turns to transcend its derivative origins. Barbara Bain has one of her best roles as the feeble, blind old "princess", Peter Graves has fun as an unctuous con man, and, unusually, Martin Landau's big scene actually involves him shedding his disguise. Greg Morris and Peter Lupus deliberatly let themselves be put in solitary confinement, the toolkit for their escape cleverly disguised as a pair of eyeglasses worn by Lupus. Alexander Singer, one of the show's best regular directors, brings a lot of style to this episode, and Lalo Schifrin, who composed the iconic theme music, does the whole score for this episode, one of his most memorable.

The next episode is a slow 2-parter involving boxers and the mob, not one of my favorites, so next I'll be skipping ahead to Episode 3.4, "The Mercenaries."

#580532 03/26/10 08:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just watched a pretty good documentary called, "The Botany of Desire".

Adapted from the book of the same name name by journalist Michael Pollan, it examined the phenomenon of how, throughout history, humans have engaged in nearly symbiotic relationships with certain plants. It suggests that because these plants satisfy certain base human desires, we have created environments where they would not only be guaranteed survival, but evolutionary triumph over other plants.

The four plants examined in this film (and the corresponding desire which they are said to satisfy) were the apple representing sweetness, the tulip - beauty, marijuana - intoxication, and the potato - control (that is to say, control over our own fate at the hands of the elements).

It was a very interesting film and although I didn't agree with all of Pollan's conclusions, it's worth a rent if just for the wealth of historical tidbits (ex: the role of the potato in bringing about the Industrial Revolution; how the tulip nearly destroyed the economy of the Netherlands; etc.).

#580533 03/26/10 10:20 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]I was on the fence about Fringe for the first few episodes but thought it got better as it went along. It never gets mindblowingly good or anything, but worth watching I'd say. I haven't watched the second season.
Yeah, I have to say that Fringe really picks up in quality as the series goes on. I'd take a bit further than EDE in my praise and say the last few episodes really are pretty damn terrific. I'd say its the second best sci-fi television show in ages (after Lost).

For me it beats X-Files hands down, but while I liked X-Files I was never a major devotee (of course, when it was out was during my early formative teen years, so I was distracted to say the least).[/b]
I just watched a couple of second season episodes online, and they were pretty fanastic!

#580534 03/27/10 12:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
OK. It sounds like Fringe gets better so I will forge on with it. Might pop back in with a review when I finish the season.

Re: The X-Files - I think it really was pretty fantastic back in it's day. But by "back in it's day" I only mean the first 4 or 5 seasons - when the show started to get bogged down in all that alien-conspiracy crap and the at-first-cool-but-very-quickly-annoying "Cancer Man" became the unstoppable Big Bad of the show I soon lost interest. Never saw the last couple of seasons.

But those first few seasons really were excellent and the chemistry between Anderson and Duchovny was like few other things on TV. It WAS the show! Great characters played by great actors. Something else else I think Fringe is seriously lacking in so far. The female lead is OK if a bit bland, Pacey is just kinda there and the "funny" crazy antics of the old man (shades of Starman/boy) have annoyed me since the first episode. Whereas Scully and Mulder crackled in every scene they were in together.

Something else else else that I liked about The X-Files compared to Fringe (so far) is that the former mixed up it's monsters of the week a lot more. One episode could be something mythical like a werewolf or a vampire, another something sci-fi like an alien or a technological terror, another something creepy and scary like a serial killer or a haunted house, and so on.

Whereas in Fringe it's been the same villain and plot every episode - Mad scientist creates some sort of sci-fi weapon which he/she either accidentally or intentionally kills people with. Heroes find out how to counteract the weapon using some sort of knowledge from Pacey's Dad. Shadowy company lurks in the background. The end.

It hasn't been a very good start but you guys like it and it's been picked up for a third season so it must do something right down the line. I'm off to watch some more now.

#580535 03/27/10 12:27 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah the lack of variety plotwise in the early episodes kind of bugged me too, and a lot of the pseudo-science in those episodes seemed goofy beyond belief. You get some more variety as more bits of the overall mythology get introduced.

#580536 03/27/10 05:22 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, I agree. I almost feel like they were holding back on the really great stuff in order to build tension towards the end of the season. Nothing wrong if that if they had better scenarios in the beginning.

It will really get awesome when one of the recurring antagonist of season one starts to show up (David Robert Jones played by the awesome Jared Harris, who is also on Mad Men). He does an excellent job at being an incredibly dynamic character creating all kinds of problems while not falling into too many cliches or villains / antagonists. By the end of the season, he's morphed into this incredibly awesome character.

#580537 03/28/10 02:44 PM
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Episode 3.4, "The Mercenaries"

Everybody involved in this episode seems to be having a ball, both in front of the camera and behind it. In a rare villainous role, Pernell Roberts plays the leader of a band of soldiers of fortune (among his goons are Vic Tayback and Bo Svenson) who is ultimately undone by his own greed. Loyalty or lack thereof is a big theme in this episode, with Peter Graves and Barbara Bain posing as sleazy gunrunners loyal to no one, including themselves. This episode marks the directing debut of Paul Krasny, who had been the series' lead film editor during the first two seasons, and he dives in with gusto, bathing the screen in atmospheric lighting and bizarre camera angles, and creating one of the series' most memorable visuals in the imagery of flowing melted gold. Unfortunately, due to his promotion to post-production supervisor, Krasny didn't have the time to direct any more Season Three episodes.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Episode 3.5, "The Execution"

One of the series' starkest and most disturbing episodes, in which the IMF kidnaps a hired killer (Luke Askew) working for a powerful mobster (Vincent Gardenia), and makes the killer believe he's going to the gas chamber unless he turns stool pigeon. Proving once and for all that she wasn't just a pretty face, Barbara Bain has one of her least glamorous and most memorable roles as the killer's hard-boiled lawyer. Director Alexander Singer shows his versatility by setting aside the warm, ornate visuals of "The Heir Apparent" for a chilly, no-frills look. This would also be writers' William Read Woodfield and Allan Balter's last IM script to be filmed and broadcast. After two seasons as the series' head writers, they were promoted to showrunners, which resulted in a few great episodes but a lot of hurt on the part of the show's hard-working crew, and the final spark that exploded these writers' already-volatile relationship with the series' creator and executive producer, Bruce Geller. But in my opinion at least, Woodfield and Balter's early exit during the third season was a blessing in disguise, which I'll elaborate on as the IM reviews continue in order of original broadcasting.

#580538 03/30/10 11:43 PM
A
Active
Active
A
A treat: The Guild (previous seasons are on Netflix and worth watching first)

A hoot: Chad Vader

A tad subversive: Mr. Deity

#580539 03/31/10 08:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just want to pop in and say that I'm just over half-way through the first season of Fringe now and enjoying it a lot more! So, thanks to all those who told me to stick with it!

I think I accidentally spoiled myself to something that happens in the last episode of this season though so that's a bit annoying. frown

Hope there are some other surprises coming up to um, surprise me.

#580540 04/02/10 08:08 PM
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3.6, "The Cardinal"

Woodfield & Balter are credited as producers, but this episode actually passed through a total of THREE showrunner teams -- W&B, interim producer Robert Thompson, and eventual full-time producer Stanley Kallis. Amazingly, the behind-the-scenes strife doesn't show in the finished product at all! And much of the credit for that must go to Sutton Roley, one of the most inventive and dynamic prime time TV directors of his time. Theodore Bikel, in a rare TV appearance, plays the villain, and Paul Stevens excels in the double role of a beloved Cardinal and a goverment-puppet impostor.

The production problems do show on the following string of episodes which, for various reasons, I don't regard as worth discussing. But THEN comes the real prime cuts.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3.13, "The Mind of Stefan Miklos"

Writer Paul Playdon, still in his twenties at the time, came up with an astonishingly complex yet perfectly executed script that Robert Thompson hungrily snapped up. But it was Stanley Kallis who made Playdon the show's script consultant and head writer, which would result in what I consider the best era of MI ever. As for the episode itself, Robert Butler directs stylishsly but unobstrusively so as to not obscure the all-important details that dovetail perfectly as the IMF works hard to win a game of wills against Stefan Miklos (Steve Ihnat), an enemy agent with one of the world's sharpest minds. Trainspotters will also savor the appearances of a pre-stardom Ed Asner, Outer Limits Control Voice Vic Perrin, and "The Brain That Wouldn't Die"'s leading man, Jason Evers.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3.14, "The Test Case"

Sutton Roley strikes again, enlivening a rather formulaic and claustrophobic story -- in which Martin Landau takes the place of a human germ warfare guinea pig -- with dazzling camerawork, quick cuts, and monochromatic red filters. Accordingly to Roley, Bruce Geller found the end result fascinating but confusing, but decided it didn't matter as long as it was good.

#580541 04/03/10 06:14 PM
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3.15, "The System"

I generally prefer the international intrigue episodes to the organized crime episodes, but this casino-themed episode is brisk enough to make the grade. Even the blackjack and roulette scenes are visually dynamic, thanks to the then-new "snorkel-cam." Greg Morris has an edge-of-your-seat long-distance safecracking sequence, Martin Landau's vocal mimicry skills get a workout, and Barbara Bain enjoys herself as a beautiful but heartless gambler.

#580542 04/04/10 09:19 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just finished season one of Fringe.

Well, I did a complete 180 on this show and ended up really enjoying it! I even came to like all of the characters which is something I really was not expecting to happen after their blandy-mcblanderson starts.

It's funny I compared it to The X-Files earlier because I discovered that the things I like about the two shows are completely the opposite.

My favourite episodes of The X-Files were those that dispensed with whatever the stupid alien-goo-kidnapping-sisters-conspiracy-thing was that formed the spine of the plot for it's entire run and just concentrated on telling weird/creepy stories about the monster/alien/ghost/serial-killer/whatever of the week.

Whereas in Fringe I'm completely hooked on the underlying plot of the show about alternate realities and science gone bad and shadowy corporations and all the rest. I love having the feeling that we've barely scratched the surface of where these writers/producers are wanting to take us with this show too.

Obviously after Lost we know that JJ Abrams has long-range goals in mind when he creates a show and I really get that feeling with this one too.

I'm gonna see if any of my local shops have season 2 on DVD yet so I can catch up with the rest of you guys.

So thanks again to those who told me to stick with it. I was *this* close to quitting it after those dull first few episodes but I'm really glad I didn't now.

#580543 04/04/10 09:56 AM
Leader
Leader
Right now? BalconyTV London (BalconyTV Dublin has some great new bands performing, as well)

In the DVD player is a movie called Little Ashes that we tried to watch a couple of nights ago but just couldn't finish. We'd made it about halfway through before we decided that either it was really boring, or we were just really tired.

Page 27 of 86 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,795
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Peck's Bad Boy?
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Nightcrawler
Nightcrawler
San Diego, CA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star