Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
How did you betray Dr. Mayavale in a past life?
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:37 PM
Why he was arrested.
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:34 PM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:33 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:30 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:47 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:45 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:44 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:43 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 86 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#580594 05/28/10 06:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ I think most critics agree that Ashes to Ashes gets a lot better after the first couple of episodes. The main actress tones down the over-the-topness of her acting and the rest of the 'sillier' elements begin to make more sense as the show goes along. It gets kinda clever toward the end I thought.

... Though I'm not actually sure how I got myself into this discussion since I'm not really the biggest fan of either show. lol

They're both pretty good but by no means my faves.

#580595 05/28/10 07:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[b]I've never seen an ep of Alias however. Do you guys recommend?
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Recommend Alias? YES, YES, YES!!!!!

But stop after Season 4. Season 5 is an abomination.
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Well I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the show as FL but I'd say it's definitely worth watching for fans of other Abrams shows (e.g. Lost and Fringe).
So, Cobie, have Eryk and I sold you on Alias? Have you watched any episodes yet? Have we sold anyone else on Alias?[/b]
Yeah, I think so! But it will probably take awhile before I get to watching it. Lady Cobalt and I haven't been able to get through the season of House we started before the baby was born in the entire last month, which shows you how often we're able to watch a television show. Getting an entire hour (or jeepers, more than an hour) to ourselves is pretty rare these days! smile

There's been a lot less TV / movie watching and a lot more comic book reading.

That's okay--I will certainly get to Alias eventually!

#580596 05/28/10 09:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Blacula:
^ If you enjoy Life on Mars Quis don't forget to watch the sequel Ashes to Ashes which is different but still good IMO.

You should probably avoid the US remake though which I've never seen but have heard was terrible.
Though I haven't seen the British version, I would have to say the American series was definitely NOT terrible! I loved all the actors, the retro/modern feel and the quirkiness of the stories.

The ending? Well...I can tell you it's different from the original and is kind of a cop-out in a way. On the other hand it also kinda fits!

In any case I don't think it dtracts from what I felt was a refreshingly atypical series with one of the best casts in an ultimately-doomed series since the late, lamented Firefly.

I think Cobalt and Edie would agree with me in my praise!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#580597 05/28/10 09:58 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Yeah, I thought the American version was solid, though I haven't seen the British version either.

#580598 05/28/10 10:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I also thought the American version was very good and worth watching as well. Excellent cast and even after I knew the series was doomed, it was still good enough for me to follow through to the end.

Never saw the British version either.

#580599 05/28/10 10:09 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
See, Blacula? TOLDja!!! tease

wink

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#580600 06/20/10 09:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Treme finale was heartbreaking.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#580601 06/20/10 10:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
<strong> See, Blacula? TOLDja!!! lol What do all those critics know anyway? If three of Legion World's leading luminaries liked it then it must have been good! laugh

I haven't been to the cinema in a loooooonng time but I was dragged to see Prince of Persia with my brother and his friends the other night and guess what - I really enjoyed it!

Once I got past all the white actors in brown-face (it's like the 50s cowboys and indians movies all over again!) and the terribly miscast Jake Gyllenhaal sucking all of the charisma out of every scene he was in (and I normally like Jake!) I got into it as a rollicking good adventure with fantastic visuals that totally make me want to go back in time and swashbuckle my way around this Arabian Wonderland.

The climax totally had me thinking of the Legion too but I won't spoil what it was.

#580602 06/21/10 06:59 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've been watching Mad Men Season 3 lately and it's fantastic, continuing the level of excellence the show has always had. Each episode is very powerful--definitely a thinking person's show, yet the visuals are so stunning that it requires more watches just to take it all in.

Since the baby has been born I haven't been able to get to the movies. I'm traveling this week to South Dakota and Oklahoma so I'm wondering if when I'm on the road I might have time to zip in to see Iron Man somewhere, since that's the one I want to see above all others.

#580603 07/01/10 09:54 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Hey guys haven't been here in a while. Hope you guys are doing good.

Some films I've seen recently?

Oxford Murders. It was entertaining. Nothing really that wows.

North by Northwest. My wife loves Hitchcock films and neither of us have seen this one. Eh. It took us 3 nighst to watch it. I fell asleep the first two nights after 40 minutes (it WAS a rough week at work).

The last Cary Grant film we saw Charade was much better.

#580604 07/01/10 10:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Welcome back Ultra Jorge! It has been a long time. Hope all's well in your world.

I remember not enjoying North by Northwest quite as much as I expected to. I think it's held up as one of Hitchcock's best films and while I did think it was pretty good, I also remember thinking there was something unengaging and slow (if that's the right word - not wanting to make it sound like I needed modern fast-cuts and roller-coaster pacing to enjoy it) about the whole thing too.

And Cary Grant's weird voice disturbed me the whole time too. lol I think that was the first time I'd ever heard him speak and it made me suddenly realise that all these funny accents I'd heard various actors use over the years had all been copies of his!

Some of my favourite Hitchcocks (though I haven't seen them all) - The Birds, Rebecca, Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat.

#580605 07/01/10 10:28 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wow, I actually loved North by Northwest and its a contender for my very favorite Hitchcock film, and is probably my very favorite Cary Grant film. If you're not that familiar with Cary Grant, I think it's a good example of the kind of roles you'd often see him in. My other favorite Cary Grant movie is Gunga Din which has him in a type of role he didn't often get to play.

I love Charade because it has the other love of my life, Audrey Hepburn, in it and is charming and absolutely hilarious at times. But that is Cary Grant at the very end of his career and he's poking fun at himself (which makes him even more likable but isn't the best example of his work).

Getting back to North by Northwest, I think a lot of it is what Hitch was trying to shoot for: he was trying to get across the idea of moving gradually across the country from New York to South Dakota to increase the sense of things spiraling out of control for Cary Grant's character. But in doing so, it may make things feel like they are dragging out. Personally, I love to just take in the scenary and the dialogue, and I love the scenes between Eva Marie Saint (BTW, be still my beating heart) and Grant.

I think if any character in the movie is "over the top" it would have to be James Mason's villain. Whenever you see a parody of James Mason getting angry, it is always referencing this movie.

But don't worry Jorge and Blacula, I'll give you time to love movie. tongue

PS - welcome back Jorge! LW needs more of you! Talk some movies, books, comics, football...

#580606 07/01/10 04:52 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
lol Blacula his accent is wierd.

Cobie, I did notice the dialogue was very good. Some great lines. The scenery also was great. That house in the end...wow. And I'm sure like you Cobie I have had a drink at that bar in the Plaza.

(this year I am going to try and get involved with the football picks again!)

#580607 07/01/10 07:56 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cary Grant has a fascinating life too: check out his wikipedia sometime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Grant

#580608 07/01/10 08:14 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
North by Northwest is kind of the culmination of "the Wrong Man" theme that Hitchcock visited over and over again in a variety of movies. I'm actually not sure it's the best of his forays into that genre, but it's certainly the biggest in scope.

Of the four Grant-Hitchcock collaborations, I'd rank it the second best, behind Notorious. To Catch a Thief would be third, and Suspicion a distant fourth.

#580609 07/01/10 08:19 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wow, I totally agree with your order of the Grant/Hitch collaborations! North by Northwest is my favorite, but Notorious is by far the best and a contender for Hitch's best film. It's one of the greatest movies ever made and Claude Rains, Ingird Bergman and Cary Grant all deliver performances that are stunning. The final sequence is one of the best, most memorable sequences in film history.

To Catch a Thief is a fun movie but a bit 'fluffy' at time where you start to feel it isn't all that serious and that is distracting. In fact, Cary Grant carries the whole movie and without him it would suffer. And it has an overly long annoying car chase scene (I'm sure I reviewed it in depth earlier in this thread).

Suspicion is kind of unmemorable and really only for Hitch completists. I watched it once and really only remember the plot details.

To get back to the beginning, Notorious is a must-see for movie buffs. Casablanca made me a fan of Claude Rains early on, but Notorious made me sit back and take notice of how damn talented he was.

#580610 07/01/10 08:20 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
BTW, I much prefer North by Northwest over The Man Who Knew Too Much. I love Jimmy Stewart but he and Doris Day don't work as well for me as Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint.

#580611 07/01/10 08:25 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Have you seen the original version of The Man Who Knew Too Much? With Peter Lorre? I think it's in many ways a lot tighter movie than the re-make.

#580612 07/01/10 08:31 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Some awesome Cary Grant movies:

The Philadelphia Story
Arsenic and Old Lace
Only Angels Have Wings
Topper
His Girl Friday
My Favorite Wife
The Talk of the Town

#580613 07/01/10 08:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Unfortunately I haven't but its one I've always wanted to. This conversation tonight has reignited my interest in it. I'm a Peter Lorre fan too ever since I first saw Maltese Falcon.

When I was in High School watched The 39 Steps which was great. I wouldn't mind rewatching it again.

I like Hitch's earliest films because he had to work within certain confines and so really flexed his muscles (and made his actors do the same) with very little. I like his later stuff too, but you can see he got a little funky with cinema tricks and camera angles and the like. Early on, things were very clever and that enhances the viewing.

#580614 07/01/10 08:40 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Another really sweet, fun Cary Grant movie with Myrna Loy is "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House" which was playing on TCM a few months back.

An Affair to Remember is excellent as well. Incredibly romantic. It perhaps has been overly praised over the last few decades but don't let that jade you--it is quite good.

And when I was at UCONN and had a film class we watched Blonde Venus which was one of his earliest appearances and perhaps his first great one, co-starring Marlene Dietrich and directed by the incredible Josef Von Sternberg. I absolutely recommend everyone check that out. It certainly would never have gotten made in the post-War years becuase its so racy.

#580615 07/01/10 09:29 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I almost mentioned Mr Blandings, but I thought the list was getting too long, so I left it out!

I don't think I've watch An Affair to Remember.

#580616 07/01/10 09:32 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
BTW, I was going to do a ranking of the Hitchcock-Stewart collaborations, but, while The Man Who Knew Too Much is almost certainly the weakest, the other three (Vertigo, Rear Window, and Rope) are all so awesome that I'm not sure I could order them!

#580617 07/02/10 07:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree on the Stewart/Hitch pairings! I watched Rope a few years back I believe right after you starting talking about it and completely fell in love with that movie. It now is on the short list of dream productions for me to see live on the stage.

Rear Window has been a favorite Hitchcock movie since I was a kid. It's my Mom's favorite Hitchcock movie (my parents are big film buffs, which is why I am). I bought it and had my wife watch it for the first time about a year ago and once again even on the 10th or so viewing, I was blown away by how good it was.

Vertigo was a film I didn't like when I was a kid/teeneager because of the tricky camera angles but I've really grown to love it. What is so incredible is just how dark the film is in tone and how there is this underlying creepy feeling throughout. It makes me feel like Jimmy Stewart could have been this incredible horror star had he wanted to or had he made movies in a horror-centric era.

Rear Window has perhaps the single most excruciating sequence to watch ever in a Hitch film, with Grace Kelly in the apartment and Raymond Burr making his way back, then re-entering the apartment and *then* confronting her. And then when it finally calms down and you're heart is racing, Raymond Burr notices Grace Kelly's signal to Jimmy Stewart and you realize it isn't over yet. And then the next 5 minutes are terrifying. That entire end of the movie is one of the greatest endings ever in movie history.

#580618 07/02/10 07:45 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I almost mentioned Mr Blandings, but I thought the list was getting too long, so I left it out!

I don't think I've watch An Affair to Remember.
An Affair to Remember is really great. It's highly romantic but absolutely in the mid to late 1950's mold that makes you just wish you lived in that time (or me at least).

It also romanticizes a cruise ship voyage more than any other piece of work.

Deborrah Kerr wasn't one of my favorites until From Here to Eternity (great film) but that really made me like her a lot. I always knew her role there was very outside the norm and so I wanted to catch up on some of her other films. Many of them are a little "fluffy" for me but some of them are really great. An Affair to Remember is the greatest.

And the ending is terrific.

Page 30 of 86 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,485
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Roche Runo
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Calybos
Calybos
Norcross, GA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star