Roll Call
0 members (), 4 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:36 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:55 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 86 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#580619 07/02/10 08:04 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Time for Blacula's shameful confession #2 - I was *REALLY* disappointed with Vertigo when I finally saw it. shocked

It's been a couple of years now so I can't quite remember what it was about it that I hadn't warmed to but I remember complaining my poor rommate's ear off about how it was totally overrated by the critics and everything.

I remember some things I liked about it - that vertigo camera effect at the beginning (and later on maybe), the twist, the end... others I've forgotten right now. But unfortunately, I don't remember them being enough to make me actually enjoy the film.

It probably didn't help that I'd seen Mel Brooks' High Anxiety many years before it. lol

Also, I am not much of a James Stewart fan. He's another one with a weird voice IMO. Plus, it's hard for me to forgive him for It's a Wonderful Life - (shameful confession #3) one of my most disliked films *ever*.

I did like Rear Window a lot though. And I really want to see Rope. As well as all those Cary Grant films on EDE's list. I can't believe how few of his films I've seen. I guess when an actor's as famous as he is, I just assumed I'd seen him in lots of stuff. Only now do I realise it's just North by Northwest and Suspicion.

I especially really need to see Notorious. It sounds like a good 'un.

I agree that The Man Who Knew Too Much is not one of Hitch's best efforts and that Doris Day is probably one of his most miscast leading ladies ever - but I could listen to her sing Que Sera Sera forever so it wins based on that alone for me.

#580620 07/02/10 08:11 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Confession time for me: I've never been much of a fan of Doris Day, the actress because of The Man Who Knew Too Much, and therefore have not seen all that many of her films. Doris Day, the person, however, seems pretty groovy!

My mother-in-law when she was younger was a dead ringer for Doris Day.

#580621 07/02/10 08:25 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm not much of a Doris Day fan either. I like a lot of old movies, even pretty cheesy ones, but most of hers just haven't really aged that well, imo.

#580622 07/02/10 08:30 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Come to think of it, one of the reasons I dislike Doris Day is that she was in several remakes of movies from the 30s/40s that I thought were better the first time around.

See High Society (a remake of The Philadelphia Story) and Move Over, Darling (a remake of My Favorite Wife), for example.

#580623 07/02/10 08:39 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
BTW, even though The Philadelphia Story is one of the greatest movies of all time, maybe it's not for Blacula. Between Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, and Katherine Hepburn, it's pretty much a <strike>weird</strike> distinctive voice extravaganza!

#580624 07/02/10 09:01 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Come to think of it, one of the reasons I dislike Doris Day is that she was in several remakes of movies from the 30s/40s that I thought were better the first time around.

See High Society (a remake of The Philadelphia Story) and Move Over, Darling (a remake of My Favorite Wife), for example.
I'm with you on High Society! It doesn't even come close to the Philadelphia Story. Sinatra chews up the scenary (and I like Frank quite a bit but not always), Bing Crosby was at the end of his career when he was kind of competing with Sinatra in 'cool' and that wasn't something I enjoyed seeing, and even Louis Armstrong shows up in a role that really makes me go confused . Definately not for me.

Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Story is great! You're right Eryk--if the voices distracted Blacula and Jorge before, they'll really flip for this one. I love it for the witty banter and its the quintessential Katherine Hepburn film and the quintessential Cary Grant film all rolled into one.

#580625 07/04/10 06:47 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was on TCM this morning (for 4th of July Weekend) and I couldn't help but watch it again. Terrific movie! And the quintessential Jimmy Stewart performance--if you don't like him here, you just don't like him. (Spoiler alert--I like him quite a bit).

Claude Rains, naturally, steals the entire movie.

#580626 07/04/10 07:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Started rewatching the new Gattlestar Galactica this last week. I've gotten through the mini series and first 2 regular episodes so far.

It is an interesting watching it again knowing where the ride is heading. Knowing who the cylons are gives a whole new level to the show. It'll be interesting to see how it all works watchng it now that it's over.

I love the level of realism they used on this show. The guns firing bullets, the characters are all flawed in different ways, and there are the whole religious intonations with Baltar (onbe of the best characters in this reboot).

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#580627 07/04/10 09:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Man. I LOVED Battlestar Galactica... until the end and now I can barely bring myself to think about it. I have never been more disappointed in the ending to a fictional story ever. It was like it was written by competely different people to the ones who'd been giving us the smart, sophisticated show we'd been watching until then. That or the previous writers just had *no idea* how they were going to resolve all those cool mysteries and storylines they'd been setting up since the first episode.

I totally agree with you on Baltar though, Dev Em. Fantastic character and just amazing acting by James Callis. A revelatory performance I thought. Tricia Helfer too. For a sexy, sultry, model turned actor she showed that she has some serious acting chops. Grace Park as well, Lucy Lawless... gosh, I could list the whole cast (except Jamie Bamber - and even he wasn't too bad). Great acting in that show.

#580628 07/04/10 09:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
BTW, even though The Philadelphia Story is one of the greatest movies of all time, maybe it's not for Blacula. Between Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, and Katherine Hepburn, it's pretty much a <strike>weird</strike> distinctive voice extravaganza!
I have always wanted to see The Philadelphia Story. Maybe I can watch it with subtitles? laugh

But seriously, the "weird" voices of Grant, Stewart, et al aren't enough to make me dislike a film. Just wonder where on earth they came from to get accents like that. lol

P.S. Does anyone think Tony Curtis was copying Cary Grant's voice when he was pretending to be the rich, yacht owner in Some Like It Hot? I always chuckled at the voice he used in that movie but now think it had a remarkable similarity to Grant's. Or is that accent just typical of a certain region of the USA? Like Hepburn's New England (I think) accent?

#580629 07/04/10 09:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Singing in the Rain. Just bought it on DVD.

#580630 07/04/10 10:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Some other great Cary Grant movies:

BRINGING UP BABY
HOLIDAY
PENNY SERENADE

I'll second TALK OF THE TOWN and ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS (both co-starring my favorite classic movie actress... Jean Arthur, also a possessor of one of the most distinctive voices ever).

Also entertaining- SYLVIA SCARLET... but it's a heap of weirdness and not for everyone.

Cary Grant was originally a member of an acrobatic troupe from England, Katherine Hepburn was from New England (New Hampshire, I believe).

I'm pretty sure it was Grace Kelly in HIGH SOCIETY, not Doris Day. I like the couple of movies she made with Rock Hudson- late '50's or early '60's sex farces.

Blacula- I disliked VERTIGO the first time I saw it as well. Decades later, I watched the restored version, with much better color and loved it. I'm sure the print made a difference, but I think I wasn't mature enough to 'get' it.

In particular, the scene where Kim Novak emerges from that foggy green light, her appearance and demeanor changed to meet Stewart's character's specifications is a haunting, beautiful piece of cinematic work.

A few years from now, watch it again and see if you don't find a new appreciation for it. I'll bet you do.

#580631 07/04/10 10:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I also saw the last few minutes of The Women, the original, last night. I saw it at the nursing home once before and I've gotta say, it's pretty funny.

#580632 07/04/10 10:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Deborrah Kerr wasn't one of my favorites until From Here to Eternity (great film) but that really made me like her a lot. I always knew her role there was very outside the norm and so I wanted to catch up on some of her other films. Many of them are a little "fluffy" for me but some of them are really great. An Affair to Remember is the greatest.

And the ending is terrific.
She's really good in TEA AND SYMPATHY, though the movie itself is maybe not so great. NIGHT OF THE IGUANA is a movie of hers I like alot, though it's a bit talky. It's by Tennessee Williams and it shows.

BLACK NARCISSUS is another good movie of hers. Very striking looking and would never have been made by an American studio.

#580633 07/04/10 11:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was on TCM this morning (for 4th of July Weekend) and I couldn't help but watch it again. Terrific movie! And the quintessential Jimmy Stewart performance--if you don't like him here, you just don't like him. (Spoiler alert--I like him quite a bit).

Hmmm. Not to take anything away from Claude Rains, but I always thought Jean Arthur was the bandit in this case.

#580634 07/04/10 11:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just watched OKLAHOMA on a much better TV than I've seen it on and it was like seeing it for the first time. The colors were beautiful and the Arizona landscape (standing in for OK) were beautiful. As was the music, of course-- Gordon Macrae's about the top of singing movie actors, in this style of music, anyway.

I lived in Oklahoma years ago and saw an outdoor production of the musical that played every summer. Probably still does, for all I know. Anyway, you'd think it was a rock concert the way the audience cheered when the title song was performed.

#580635 07/05/10 09:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
[b] Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was on TCM this morning (for 4th of July Weekend) and I couldn't help but watch it again. Terrific movie! And the quintessential Jimmy Stewart performance--if you don't like him here, you just don't like him. (Spoiler alert--I like him quite a bit).

Hmmm. Not to take anything away from Claude Rains, but I always thought Jean Arthur was the bandit in this case.[/b]
Yeah, Jean Arthur is just terrific in every scene she's in. The sequence where she gets drunk (with the actor whose name I forget but love, especially in 'It's a Wonderful Life') is really great.

#580636 07/05/10 10:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Singing in the Rain. Just bought it on DVD.
One of my favorite movie ever. O'Conner is briliant in his "Make 'Em Laugh scene, and Gene Kelly is my favorite singer/dancer from that genre of actors.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#580637 07/05/10 09:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Blacula- I disliked VERTIGO the first time I saw it as well. Decades later, I watched the restored version, with much better color and loved it. I'm sure the print made a difference, but I think I wasn't mature enough to 'get' it.

In particular, the scene where Kim Novak emerges from that foggy green light, her appearance and demeanor changed to meet Stewart's character's specifications is a haunting, beautiful piece of cinematic work.

A few years from now, watch it again and see if you don't find a new appreciation for it. I'll bet you do.
I will definitely do that Mystery Lad. There was enough in there that I could see what people liked about it but I think maybe I just wasn't in the mood or was expecting something more or something. I actually have it on DVD somewhere so I will give it another go sometime.

#580638 07/05/10 09:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I also saw the last few minutes of The Women, the original, last night. I saw it at the nursing home once before and I've gotta say, it's pretty funny.
I have always wanted to see that movie (the original, not the apparently terrible remake). It looks like a hoot.

#580639 07/05/10 09:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It is. There's this part where they're in Reno and one of them has this little freak-out.

#580640 07/05/10 10:24 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Blacula:
[b] BTW, even though The Philadelphia Story is one of the greatest movies of all time, maybe it's not for Blacula. Between Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, and Katherine Hepburn, it's pretty much a <strike>weird</strike> distinctive voice extravaganza!
I have always wanted to see The Philadelphia Story. Maybe I can watch it with subtitles? laugh

But seriously, the "weird" voices of Grant, Stewart, et al aren't enough to make me dislike a film. Just wonder where on earth they came from to get accents like that. lol

P.S. Does anyone think Tony Curtis was copying Cary Grant's voice when he was pretending to be the rich, yacht owner in Some Like It Hot? I always chuckled at the voice he used in that movie but now think it had a remarkable similarity to Grant's. Or is that accent just typical of a certain region of the USA? Like Hepburn's New England (I think) accent?[/b]
Tony Curtis is a huge Cary Grant protegee, so I'd say "yes". Grant's accent is some sort of English accent mutated by living/working in America (it may be "English trying to sound Amerian").

Stewart's from Eastern Pennsylvania, as I recall, but I don't think that has much to do with his voice.

#580641 07/06/10 10:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I just watched SILENCE OF THE LAMBS for the first time. Memphis? Crazy transexual-wannabees? I had no idea.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#580642 07/06/10 10:26 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^Great film! And the final sequence is FREAKING SCARY!

I watched that when I was like 12 and it was the first time I learned what the words 'serial killer' meant.

#580643 07/22/10 08:10 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Same here Cobie. I watched it when I was 14 and couldn't sleep that night.

Watched Shutter Island a few nights ago. It was pretty good. While I'm not a big Leo fan I am a big Martin Scorcese (sp) fan. Beautiful film (shots, music, etc). The overall story? Pretty good.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Saw it last night and LOVED it. Nice to see Gilliam using modern special effects in such a glorius way. Good acting all the way around. My wife was pleased with the 4 good looking guys in it. wink

Page 31 of 86 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,476
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Zero Kahn
Zero Kahn
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star