Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:35 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 42 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58382 10/20/07 01:09 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Geoff Johns gives another interview at IGN , and makes a clearer statement about what continuity the Lightning Saga/Action Legion includes.

"The good thing is that you can pick up Adventure Comics #300 and that happened. You can pick up any Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes story and that happened. You can pick up the new trade coming out that Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen did, and that happened. All those are back-stories, so if you want to read them, the stories are there. Really, we're sticking with everything that happened up through Crisis on Infinite Earths."
Johns calls Waid/Shooter Legion the "modern day version", which again begs the question why the modern day Superman has a past with the unmodern Legion of Earth 1 -- or what's passing for it in this story. The more I read about this arc, the more convinced I am of its dishonest and manipulative intent, and dread it all the more.

#58383 10/20/07 09:27 AM
Active
Active
confused confused Why is it dishonest and manipulative to bring back all that "lost" continuity along with the possibility of new stories - possibly a new title? - that will honor this vast part of Legion history which includes everything that made the Legion great in the past?

Otoh, I don't exactly like the phrase "up through Crisis on Infinite Earths" because it seems to suggest that everything that happened after CoIE will be "out of continuity/never happened" which also suggests that another fairly vast part of Legion history will "not have happened".

This latter part may not be my favorite Legion era(s) but"doing away" with it is somehow like cheating all the fans who love that/those eras.

I'm ecstatic with the prospect of seeing "that" Legion, the one I grew up with, be a living part of the DCU again, more than ecstatic really, but I don't feel comfortable at all with eliminating other people's favorite Legion eras (which had their good points, and they ARE the Legion anyway).

Let's hope that what with multiple versions of the Legion floating around, every Legion era will be honored in one way or another.

#58384 10/20/07 11:45 AM
Active
Active
Reading the above Johns statement makes me.... happy.

Oh my, to get all those stories back...

Those stories up to COIE (which is way into the baxter series, if I recall correctly) are part of my childhood, loved those when I grew up, painted my Playmobil toys in Legion colours, read the few books that were translated into German over and over and over again. To bring them back after ruthlessly erasing all of them 14 years ago gives me a lot of satisfaction, and even though my ALSO beloved 5YL era has to go, I'll gladly trade that one for the basis of Legion of Super-Heroes returning to the DCU. KUDOS! (still not believing it until I see if, of course smile )

#58385 10/20/07 11:55 AM
Active
Active
I tried to read the Johns interviews, but I hardly can so so cause I'm so excited I stop reading it in the right order and start combing through it, trying to find important key words... thus eliminating the chance of getting all the information, but hey, I'm a fan, so sue me smile

#58386 10/20/07 01:43 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Chemical King:
I tried to read the Johns interviews, but I hardly can so so cause I'm so excited I stop reading it in the right order and start combing through it, trying to find important key words... thus eliminating the chance of getting all the information, but hey, I'm a fan, so sue me smile
Funny, that was my reaction as well. Can't wait. And I am also a fan of the 5YL era, but like you, I'm OK to see it go if we get to see something like the Levitz Legion. Even if it has to be a modified version. If we are being manipulated, well, it's OK with me.

#58387 10/20/07 02:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm also super excited.

I hope Johns uses some of the post crisis Levitz and 5YL stuff. Nothing major but a nod here or there.

The Sensor Girl/Projectra becoming leader stuff. The Universo & Starfinger arcs & possibly the Magic Wars.

The Time Trapper battle gets hairy cause that is revenge for killing Superboy. But that can be tweaked. Laurel Kent as a Manhunter obviously would not be around. But Laurel Kent will be!

#58388 10/21/07 01:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
IGN Article

IGN Comics: Since Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC has went to great pains to remove Superboy from Legion continuity. With the return of the Legion to Superman's back-story, what does that do to the whole mess that has been Legion continuity? Or is that better left for an editor or future Legion writers to worry about?

Johns: The good thing is that you can pick up Adventure Comics #300 and that happened. You can pick up any Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes story and that happened. You can pick up the new trade coming out that Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen did, and that happened. All those are back-stories, so if you want to read them, the stories are there. Really, we're sticking with everything that happened up through Crisis on Infinite Earths.
The original non-crack whore Supergirl was in Crisis and LSH #300, plus a few SLSH issues (as was Insect Queen and Pete Ross). Does this mean all of those stories are still intact?

#58389 10/21/07 08:22 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I hope so Gary I hope so. I know they revealed the 3rd kryptonian to be some obscure character (SPOILER don't want to ruin it for people) but I was really hoping to it would be Kara.

I still think it might be and Kurt Busiek is trying keep it a secret. What use is that obscure character when you have the ability to bring back Kara.

#58390 10/21/07 08:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The figure on the cover for Superman #669 certainly looks female, at any rate. But I don't know anything about this "3rd Kryptonian thing; I only heard about it yesterday.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#58391 10/21/07 08:42 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
So Adv. #300 features a teenage convict Lex Luthor being visited by Superboy, and then building an Adult Robot version of himself to send to the future and fight the Legion. I'll be absolutely shocked if all of that is "in-continuity" (except maybe in some vague sense in which Batman of Earth-2 is now "in-continuity" or whatever).

#58392 10/23/07 05:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
"There's a pretty big project coming up for '08 that I have got to start getting ready for but it's going to take up a hell of a lot more time.”

Johns confirmed he actually has two projects for 2008 that will likely be announced by the end of the year and that he is currently working with some of the pertinent characters right now.
Taken from a CBR article focusing on the JSA. I hope it's a Legion title. I would love to see three Legion titles!

#58393 10/23/07 06:39 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
"There's a pretty big project coming up for '08 that I have got to start getting ready for but it's going to take up a hell of a lot more time.”

Johns confirmed he actually has two projects for 2008 that will likely be announced by the end of the year and that he is currently working with some of the pertinent characters right now.
Taken from a CBR article focusing on the JSA. I hope it's a Legion title. I would love to see three Legion titles!
If I were a religious person I'd say "I'm praying for it". laugh

#58394 10/23/07 08:55 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I saw an interview recently with Scott Kolins and he is DC exclusive again. He said he and Geoff are working on a project together. Makes you wonder...

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#58395 10/23/07 09:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Craig, don't even joke around like that! That's a bitter sweet dilemna! I'm not a huge Kolins fan.

#58396 10/24/07 05:47 AM
Active
Active
Scott Kolins? Isn't that one of those no-name pinch hitter /artists?

Yeah if they want a book to fail, they improve the chances by assigning it to such a low-budget artist... frown

I really hope that should there be a LS-Legion book, that they actually give it to an decent artist (not to dream about PĂ©rez or Frank) cause, let's face it: The art is still like the calling card of a book. If it looks lousy, nobody will pick it up no matter how good the stuff is written. But if a great cover kind of jumps at you from the shelves... you'll pick it up even if you don't care about the content that much.

Probably the only way to get more new readers to jump on the "continuity challenged" Legion wagon is by luring them in with the art...

#58397 10/24/07 09:51 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Scott Kolins is the guy who drew the messed-up Timber Wolf cover for the most recent issue of S&LSH. If that cover is representative, my preference would be not to have to look at his work ever again.

#58398 10/24/07 11:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh no he did do that new Legion cover. Now I'm getting paranoid. I think Kolins is a decent artist and a nice guy. I think Geoff like working with him (Flash). But unless it's a mini or a fill in I'm really not that interested.

Sure there are lots of people that love his work but lots of people that hate his work as well. I don't know if you want a love/hate guy to jump start a series. ohwell my Kolins rant is over.

#58399 10/24/07 11:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Ugh, Johns/Kolins would be a nightmare come true. The only reason I'm giving this speculation any credence at all is DC's mystifying decision to replace Dennis' cover with Kolins'. I pray they weren't trying to tell us something.

#58400 10/24/07 12:18 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Scott Kolins? Isn't that one of those no-name pinch hitter /artists?

Yeah if they want a book to fail, they improve the chances by assigning it to such a low-budget artist... frown

I really hope that should there be a LS-Legion book, that they actually give it to an decent artist (not to dream about PĂ©rez or Frank) cause, let's face it: The art is still like the calling card of a book. If it looks lousy, nobody will pick it up no matter how good the stuff is written. But if a great cover kind of jumps at you from the shelves... you'll pick it up even if you don't care about the content that much.

Probably the only way to get more new readers to jump on the "continuity challenged" Legion wagon is by luring them in with the art...
Oh, I might buy a single issue for a great cover, but if the story stinks, I won't buy the next issue. You know, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Watching television is not an activity.
#58401 10/24/07 01:50 PM
Active
Active
If it's the Legion I'll buy it anyway and then gripe about it for months, but really it'd be a nightmare come true if a new title has bad art from the first issue...

#58402 10/24/07 06:42 PM
Active
Active
I liked Kolins on the Flash, I actually prefered his art to Porter's, however, I can't see him doing a team book. His art never struck me as being able to handle lots of people at once, he did great cities and placing individuals in them, but I couldn't see him doing a story where 10 people are all fighting at once and being able to keep track of them.

Still, I like his art and wouldn't mind seeing him and Geoff working together on an individual title, but just don't see it for a team book (of course there aren't that many artists that I actually see doing a team book anyways)

Long Live the Legion!
#58403 10/25/07 09:41 AM
Active
Active
They just have to get PĂ©rez, who loves team books and did every one of them out on the market - except for the Legion, which ironically was his favorite comic book when he was young.

So? Any further questions? Give him the money he's asking for, get him of Brave and the Bold and let him do his magic - and we have a winner book in our hands...

#58404 10/25/07 09:47 AM
Active
Active
Steve Lightle also loves the Legion and has expressed his desire to be the artist on the book many times. His art was and is fantastic!
Considering there are few good artists who want to draw a comic with a gazillion characters are, it doesn't make sense NOT giving it to artists who want to do it and have proven their previous runs on the Legion were successful and loved. Like Perez (of course) or Lightle.

#58405 10/25/07 11:18 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
While I was a huge fan of Perez back in the Teen Titans day, his more recent stuff doesn't work for me as well. I don't know if he's changed artistically, or my tastes have. Steve Lightle, on the other hand, drew some great Legion.

Maybe it's because I first saw Lightle's art on the Legion, and I've mentally pigeon-holed Perez as 'the Titans artist' and can't adjust to his work on other titles (like the Avengers, which didn't look quite right under his pen, IMO).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58406 10/25/07 01:25 PM
Active
Active
Oh really loved his Avengers stuff, Set, so I have to disagree. But I can understand your feelings because I was not overly happy with his recent work on "BatB". I thought it might have been the Inker.

Lightle was very good in his glory Legion days as well, though i believe he did far less issues than you would think back then. It was LaRoque who was on board for most of the Baxter run. I especially liked Lightles cover art!

Page 8 of 42 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,181
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
brigort
brigort
PEI, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star