Roll Call
0 members (), 52 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 42 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58682 12/03/07 07:58 PM
Active
Active
I do think it would be wise for DC to get everyone together and try to come up with one look for the Legion. Enough with every artist designing HIS version of the team.
I'd have to disagree on that point. I think there's been too much emphasis on falling back on a "classic"costume to denote an individual character, and their development as a relateable, believable individual can fall by the wayside. Case in point, the undefined, mutable "personalities" of the early Legion.

Certainly there are iconic characters like Superman whose costume has changed very little where I doubt you'll ever see much change (and there's the secret identity aspect as well). Legionnaires don't have to worry about secret identities, they could change their costumes frequently if they wanted to. And really, some times you want your summer bare-midriff, sleeveless costume and sometimes you want a super-parka.

Also with the emergence of the multiple universes, I'd really like to see multiple versions of the Legion. I want to see what other creators do with them, a good story with good art should be first and foremost always.

I suppose this could be a little confusing for new readers but there is plenty to be confused about in comics in general. Things aren't the same as they were in the 70's when you bought your comics at the drugstore and the preponderance of readers were under 20. Most comic readers now (for better or worse) are adults and would hopefully have a more sophisticated understanding of things like a change of costume and be able to make those leaps. As an adult and a comic reader, I'd like to give us more credit than that.

And really, the costume differences are generally minor as far as the overall theme goes, although all of the Legionnaires have gone through many costume changes over the decades, most are still generally recognizable from their earlier versions with the rare exception of characters like Element Lad (doubtful we'll ever see a version of the pink and white costume again -but then again, you never know...).

Is that a moon?
#58683 12/03/07 10:24 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Uranus Lad:
I'd have to disagree on that point. I think there's been too much emphasis on falling back on a "classic"costume to denote an individual character, and their development as a relateable, believable individual can fall by the wayside. Case in point, the undefined, mutable "personalities" of the early Legion.
Or the threeboot ones, for that matter. After the first twelve issues I realized that the changed costumes only served to reinforce that these characters, despite their names, were nothing like the original Legionnaires in personality.

So yeah, if the writers can't be bothered to get the characterization right, then I can't get all het up about the artist messing up the costumes.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58684 12/04/07 01:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
agreed.

with consistent art and clearly identifiable faces/characteristics, static costumes are irrelevant. A brown-haired guy with slightly messed up or slongish hair, with stubble, will be clearly identifable as Jo most of the time; if not, a visible green T-shaped dragon emblem somewhere (even a tatoo or bandanna) would be enough of a clue. At this point, we need only a suggestion of identification in costuming, and costumes can be almost as diverse as clothing is in real life.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#58685 12/04/07 02:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The costumes between the LS and Action has me thinking if they are even the same Legion.

I support new costumes but I do think DC should be smarter about this. I don't like that every artist that comes in makes their own costumes, etc.

DC should get a number of artists to design several costumes for each member and then pick from there. That way we get a definite costume for each member and it doesn't change for each story line or artist change.

#58686 12/05/07 02:01 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
In reference to Action #859 - I loved it. Absorbancy Boy is back as a truly formidable villain, along with a bunch of 'rejects'. I love Earth Man's side burns and Fascist Nazi outfit. Radiation Roy is spooky as well.

BTW, couldn't the 'alien' Element Lad just create a Kryptonite ring (assuming he's still around)? Such an item 'found' by Cosmic Boy and friends could easily be dismissed as a forged article by any humans, I would think.

The Lightning Saga and this current story in Action is the Legion I prefer. You go, Geoff Johns.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#58687 12/05/07 06:22 PM
Leader
Leader
Uranus Lad, you are clearly the anti-Christ and therefore must die.

But seriously, folks, I find it hard to believe that with all the super doodads available to the Legion, they'd need to pilfer the Batcave to prove Krypton's existence. Why not just whip out your handy dandy pocket time viewer (from Ronco®) for instance? Still, the writers have come up with an interesting concept so I'll ride with it.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#58688 12/05/07 09:37 PM
Active
Active
I suppose the reason could be this: When an entire world is brainwashed and/or prejudiced to the point of creating gulags for extraterrestrials, nothing short of "absolute proof" or a "miracle" will do. Maybe that's why Brainiac 5 decided to call Superman himself, even though he knew Supes wouldn't have his powers under earth's red sun.

#58689 12/06/07 10:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Agreed. If everything the Legion has done or said is assumed to be a lie, then the Legion needs to achieve an extraordinary level of proof to counter that perception. Sort of like trying to use logic and reason with today's zealots of various stripes, who have largely made up their minds already and automatically dismiss all the evidence their particular ideology has already decided is tainted.

#58690 12/06/07 12:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The founders thought finding a kryptonite ring will prove the existence of krypton.

I am sure some kind of carbon dating can tell the age of the rock versus if Element Lad just created it. But I agree it sounds far fetched that this rock will prove anything.

That is why Brainiac 5 is smarter than the average Legionaire. smile He got Superman!

#58691 12/06/07 12:53 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Well, the ring thing also works on a symbolic level. In my review on Legion Abstract I figured it like this:
One other not-yet-fully-formed thought. It kind of seems like Johns is implying, deep down, that the Legion is not the Legion when it’s cut off from Superman. In this sense: Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy may have been the Legion founders, but they have no access to Superman. They’re trying to get help from Batman’s symbols (a ring, specifically), and whatever Batman’s virtues are, he’s not Superman and he’s got nothing in particular to do with the Legion. And so they can be taken down by a bunch of drips whose only claim to fame is that they have Superman’s symbol on their arms. Still, it’s more than Garth, Imra and Rokk have, and the future-faux-JLEarth wins the fight.

On the other hand, Colossal Boy, Wildfire and Dawnstar are similarly on the run, but they have Superman with them and so they win their fight (last issue) and get a whole box of rings. Superman rings, sorta. They are the Legion.
I could also have said how the kryptonite ring is an anti-Superman ring, while the flight ring is associated even more explicitly with Superman by the way he's wearing it so prominently on that one cover.

#58692 12/06/07 12:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I like that line of thinking, Matthew.

#58693 12/07/07 05:40 AM
Active
Active
Uranus Lad, you are clearly the anti-Christ and therefore must die.
Well, I don't know about the dying part, I suppose it is inevitable... Just don't make me angry. Don't you know what Uranus is like when it's angry?

As far as the E-Lad created ring goes, wouldn't the fact he could make kryptonie prove there was a Krypton? I mean, an "element" would have to have existed and he would have to know or be able to tune in on the atomic makeup of kryptonite to recreate it. Right? I dunno. It seems like they were kind of desperately grasping at straws anyway and it doesn't matter much now, they've been captured and Element Lad is as yet out of the picture. Yeah, Gulgags, fascist xenophobes, a red Sun... Tusker! (I suppsose it be too much to hope for Eyeful Ethel? Arm Fall Off Boy? Antenna Lad?) Crashing comets! I can't wait for the next issue!

Is that a moon?
#58694 12/07/07 12:59 PM
Active
Active
So Action #859 finally reached my home as well. Oh and I loved it even more than the first issue. No matter what we have been discussing the last few months, the emotional element of this new/old Legion totally gets me. This is what feels like "my Legion", and the more of the old stuff keeps returning (talking about Mordru, seeing Blok and Focc, meeting the bad rejects...), the more it feels like this is what we lost year ago... it feels so great!

I really dig the kinda 5YL storyline as well. Okay, so I always loved 5YL, so it is no surprise. But this future feels like it can be saved (Earth has not exploded, the UP is still a major force, the Legionnaires eem to be mostly alive), and so there is the possibility of an ongoing book after the current storyline - I really hope so cause I care for these characters even if I have seen most of them in just one panel - they feel much more like "my Legion" than Reboot and Threeboot together, and I'm so excited to see how the story will continue.

One question to ask though: Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but did anyone else get the feeling that the captured Phantom Girl looked... different? I mean, her breasts seem to be immense, and her tummy seems to be a little... plump, so CAN IT BE THAT... she has been pregnant??? Is there a tiny little Ultra Phantom Baby in this future???

#58695 12/07/07 06:41 PM
Active
Active
Actually I did notice that her hairstyle -which reminded me of 19th century curls - and cleavage made her look a little on the plump (and cute) side, not pregnant. But I wouldn't mind a little Tiny(a)-Jo! laugh

#58696 12/07/07 10:00 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I think it's nice that you guys are so enthusiastic about the return of Cub.

#58697 12/07/07 10:55 PM
Active
Active
Well, the Reboot Legion (especially the DnA and post-DnA one) is my second most favorite Legion era all things considered.

#58698 12/09/07 12:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Catching up: just got the two Action issues as well the latest Green Lantern Corps with Legion reference.

Action

Eye don't like the art. Seriously, I understand an artist wanting a signature but I find it very distracting from the story and the rest of the art.

Story is good.

#58699 12/09/07 09:21 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

Eye don't like the art. Seriously, I understand an artist wanting a signature but I find it very distracting from the story and the rest of the art.

Story is good.
I'm not sure what you mean. You didn't like the art in Action because....? confused

#58700 12/09/07 09:39 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I didn't care for the cookie-cutter costumes in the reboot, but unless you're a Legion fan, you're bound to be confused when the Legion monthly, the toon, the JLA/JSA story and now Action all show different costumes. Heck, even the toon changed some costumes in season two...and the monthly is changing costumes also.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes good sense to not have so many different visuals of the Legion. As a Legion fan, it's not a big problem with me -- and I do like updated looks. That's what drew me to the Legion back in the day.

There are some good designs in all of the stories mentioned above, but there are quite a few clunkers as well.

I think DC needs to be a bit wiser in how they showcase the team. It doesn't have the fan base it once did.

#58701 12/10/07 01:20 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I think it's nice that you guys are so enthusiastic about the return of Cub.
nooooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooo laugh

#58702 12/10/07 10:39 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
That's one cub there should be no penalty for clubbing... evil

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#58703 12/10/07 11:18 PM
Active
Active
Wow! So you guys feel that way for Garridan and Graym too? eek

#58704 12/11/07 12:57 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
No... just Cub... hammer laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#58705 12/11/07 04:56 PM
Active
Active
Who is Cub???

I hazily remember there was a Reboot kid of Tinya, but that was in a time period when I was way beyond caring for the characters... one word: COCO :-P

But I always cared very deeply for Tinya and Jos relationship, it was some kind of fundament of the Legion (together with Imra/Garth and Cos/Lydda). It was made even more iconic with Tinyas tragic end.

They actually made me care for the Reboot once: When Tinya died AGAIN (which I felt was even more tragic because of the repetition) during White Triangle. But she got resurrected very quickly, so the effect was lost.

As for caring: I don't know how you feel about it, but I CARE very much for this Action kinda Preboot Legion. While I did never much care for the reboot and the fate of the Threeboot characters left me cold from the first moment on, I deeply feel with those captured Legionnaires and want them to get free. So no matter what the scientists say about this old/new incarnation: Geoff Johns managed to make me care with only a few issues... good job!

#58706 12/11/07 07:28 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Cub was Jo and Tinya's son in the reboot.

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
Page 20 of 42 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Surge Pack
Surge Pack
Portage IN
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star