Roll Call
0 members (), 52 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 42 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58757 01/01/08 05:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
click to enlarge
I didn't really like Brek's new uniform, but Steve makes it look good somehow. I also like the ice/claw hand (not all the time though)

#58758 01/01/08 05:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think Steve's works due to the fact that there are purple sleeves and not the interior's sleeveless look, and the pants are a better color (grayish-blue...like PB's original costume) on the cover.

#58759 01/01/08 07:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
For me, this ACTION arc has been an absolute treat so far.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#58760 01/01/08 10:27 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
I hope that Brek's ice-prosthetic is not portrayed as a fuctional hand over the next few issues. He can mount a flight ring on its fingers, but he does not have telekinetic control over ice, and there are no nerves or muscles in there. Cool as it is for him to replace his arm that way, I hope the writers don't lose sight of that fact.

Wht is Shady even bothering to wear anything? I'm really, really not the type who undresses women with his eyes, but darned if I couldn't picture her naked when I looked at her in this issue.

Timber Wolf's personality seems to have been borrowed from Sawyer on Lost.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#58761 01/02/08 09:47 AM
Substitute
Substitute
What intrigued me was the Mon-El reference. Was a working PZ projector just lying around HQ? How would the rejects know what it was and how it worked? And how did they do it? Sneak up behind him in a Storm Boy fog? Beam him out while he napped? Pretend to be a friendly young Luthor(at least we know THAT worked once before}?
One last thing--if Earth Man confronted Mon does he now have all his powers? It appears not to be.
Thus, the rumors are wrong and Mon-El will show up to fight alongside Supes yet again! I wish.

#58762 01/02/08 02:14 PM
D
Candidate
Candidate
D
After getting excited about seeing "my" Legion returning after the Lighting Legion arc - I'm now completely disappointed.

This IS supposed to be that same Legion right? If so, I feel a little cheated. This is nothing but another reboot.

I should just get over this, but the one I was looking forward to seeing the most - Wildfire - looks ridiculous.

#58763 01/02/08 03:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:

Wht is Shady even bothering to wear anything?
I don't like it. Skimpy costumes usually don't bother me, but this one gets on my nerves.

Timber Wolf's personality seems to have been borrowed from Sawyer on Lost.
Heh. I knew I liked him for a reason. smile I hadn't noticed that; I'll have to reread.

It's not a bad story, but I think Shooter's issue is blowing this out of the water.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#58764 01/02/08 03:31 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Arachne:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
[b]

Wht is Shady even bothering to wear anything?
I don't like it. Skimpy costumes usually don't bother me, but this one gets on my nerves.
[qb][/b]
Well, it's not that different from the Cockrum/Grell costume.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#58765 01/02/08 03:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah the Shady costumes seems in touch with her past costume. The one that bothered me was the holes in Night Girl's costume. ugh.

#58766 01/02/08 05:37 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
Back then, she was drawn with normal proportions. Now, she and Dawny are oozing cleavage. Of the female Legionnaires in this latest issue, only Ayla looks like she's not wearing a McCauley Megabra.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#58767 01/02/08 06:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Back then, she was drawn with normal proportions. Now, she and Dawny are oozing cleavage. Of the female Legionnaires in this latest issue, only Ayla looks like she's not wearing a McCauley Megabra.
The news recently had an article on a just published study that said bra sizes are generally increasing. In a 1000 years....

#58768 01/02/08 06:45 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Did that survey make any comment on the correlation between increased bra size and the general proportion of body fat...?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#58769 01/02/08 09:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Reboot:
Did that survey make any comment on the correlation between increased bra size and the general proportion of body fat...?
Or silicon?

Ayla looked like a crackhead.

#58770 01/03/08 02:11 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Yeah the Shady costumes seems in touch with her past costume. The one that bothered me was the holes in Night Girl's costume. ugh.
That would be really cute though if the holes were colored in...and this Dawny costume looks like she should have pants (imho).

anywho..my question is, can we still call this "The Lightning Saga Legion" ? I'm not certain these two are the same Legion. Nor do the pair in 52 seem to be a part of any other Legion that we have any direct evidence for. It's gettin' kind of freaky. I'm starting to wonder what happened to the Continuity Cops. It' chaos I tell you.
Chaos!

#58771 01/03/08 06:18 PM
Active
Active
I'm with Dain. I think Frank is one of the better superhero comic artists out there and yes he does have an inexplicable tendency to draw weirdly small irises on people and kind of bucky teeth but his art has depth and detail and the characters look like individuals something seriously lacking in many comics with the ubiquitous spray-painted on ,unbelievable, overly colorful and boring costumes, cookie cutter faces and silly action poses. It's mind boggling that anyone call Frank's work "ugly" but to each his own I guess... Certainly I am not bowled over by every costume he's designed here (do like Polar Boys a lot) but they are interesting, unique and actually look like clothing. Unlike say the new look for the regular Legion book. I'm excited about Action but the Legion is not doing much for me at all. I don't hate the art necessarily but it all looks flat and the anime style over simplified faces are boring. Hopefull the new artist can pull it off I've sen some oif his sketches and they aren't all that bad.
I don't know how long this run on Action will last I hope it's ongoing for a while at least, this is the Legion I grew up with (so was the "5YL" Legion but that's another thread) and they've grown up a bit and their world isn't all shiny and sterile. Lovin' it!

Is that a moon?
#58772 01/04/08 07:22 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:

anywho..my question is, can we still call this "The Lightning Saga Legion" ? I'm not certain these two are the same Legion. Nor do the pair in 52 seem to be a part of any other Legion that we have any direct evidence for. It's gettin' kind of freaky. I'm starting to wonder what happened to the Continuity Cops. It' chaos I tell you.
Chaos!
I'm kinda in the same boat as you here YK. Are these the same, or was the LSL just a mechanism for handling the Flash situation?

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

#58773 01/04/08 07:52 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I think they're the same. The characters said as much in the first issue of the Action arc.

#58774 01/04/08 03:49 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I think they're the same. The characters said as much in the first issue of the Action arc.
I've been wondering about that, too. Wasn't it just Brainy who linked the Legion to the Lightning Saga? Couldn't Brainy have learned what occurred in a different universe?

I was also very disappointed with this issue. I hate that the Lightning Saga seemed to bring back the characters from my favorite era (costumes, personalities, etc.) but this arc has completely obliterated that. I see nothing similar in the characters that appeared in both arcs. It kind of feels like Dawnstar and Timber Wolf have had personality transplants. I also am bugged by the lack of follow-through on T-Wolf's comments as he was raising his lightning wand. He said he was coming to Ayla, which suggested that she must have been killed or suffered some other negative fate, but that clearly is not the case. I just really hate that there seems to be so little connection between Lightning Saga and the current arc.

#58775 01/04/08 04:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think Dawnstar and T-Wolf have grown. I admit I was thrown off the Brin.

#58776 01/07/08 07:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
I'm confused by the ending? Why would Brainiac 5 send a time bubble back for Superman only to be a genocial dictator type when they find him on Colu? It probably is related to Kal getting networked in to what the Coluans see or something, nothing else makes sense...
Maybe it was actually the absent Cham, not Brainy.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#58777 01/07/08 07:18 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dain:
First of all, I didn't attack anyone. Each person is entitled to their opinions and my reply was impersonal.
What I consider an attack or harassment is the fact that it seems increasingly difficult to post anything positive about the Legion in Action here in Legion World (and in a couple of other forums) and have a discussion about it with others who like it, because some people seem never to miss a chance to curse, bash, tear it apart and generally make things miserable for others.

You are partly right about the "if you can't be happy with something 'new' you must be wrong" thing but it doesn't apply either to me personally or to any of my posts. I suppose it could apply to people who only like the 3boot Legion (once again, I read every Legion comic that comes out. have never dropped it and never will)who seem to use it all the time on those fans who just don't like the 3boot.

I don't doubt it's subjective - and for the record I don't give advice - but I DO get the feeling that some people confuse "subjective" with "arbitrary" when they bash Frank's art or John's writing. It's one thing to not like his art style and another thing to use the "bulging" eyes as proof of how "ugly" his art, in general, is.
Please don't use the "different opinion than mine" thing because I've always respected everyone's opinion here and if I have nothing good to say about an artist I usually say nothing.
The same goes when people talk about something I hate about the Legion's history. I don't go around "raining in their parades" every chance I get. It's one thing to state an opinion once or twice and another thing to make it a point to suck the enthusiasm of others. We're supposed to have fun with the Legion, we're here because we love the Legion.

And my point stands: Look at the whole art in each issue and get over the bulging eyes thing. I'm sorry but it's not an opinion I can respect when someone focuses on one detail in a few panels and bases his/her opinion only on that. It is too biased, for lack of a better word, and biases aren't even valid subjective opinions.

Matthew E. and I argued a few weeks ago about the "originality" of the Legion in Action and my opinion was different than his, but he really defended his position and I enjoyed our discussion regardless of his having "a different opinion than mine".

And yes! People who got to know the Legion through the 3boot may not like the one in Action and people who first read an older Legion version may not like the 3boot or the Legion in Action or whatever. There are even new fans who never liked the 3boot and love the Legion in Action (stranger things have happened!)
There's no question about each one having the right to have his/her favorite Legion but chances are they are going to be disappointed by a Legion version that's too different to the one they like.

Finally, I thought it was clear in my last post that it's not constructive criticism that I mind, it's kneejerk negative reactions so what I said in my post didn't necessarily apply to everyone.
Well said, Dain!

I truly wonder why those with such narrow limitations on what Legion can be bother to read anything new/different at all.

#58778 01/07/08 08:40 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I hope you're not angered Dain. It's an open discussion and everybody's opinions are welcome. A few mention some things they don't like (and a few others chime in) and others state their love for the new story (and others chime in here too) that's part of the fun of these threads.
I like it that there are so many well versed fans who want to express themselves and state their wishes and desires for the characters we've loved so long. For instance, I don't really like the new Dawnstar costume but I do like it that her character has grown from arrogance to confidence, a natural extension of the storylines of the 80's Legion.

I don't mean to have come off as a naysayer, actually my biggest problem is that Action only comes out once a month and I'm dying to read the next installment.
laugh
Afterall, isn't that the aim of serialized stories?

#58779 01/07/08 03:17 PM
Active
Active
So apart from all the arguing that seems to have happened here while I was on my winter vacation, my comment about the new Action:

Loved the return of Shady and especially of Lydda and Brek. Oh I loved that. Brek having lost an arm but not his spirit - very good, I like reading stuff like that.

I did not like this issue as much as the one before, which had even more drama (Legionnaires captured in glass prisons, reminds me so much of an old Captain Future episode but I digress...), but I thought the story evolved well enough to keep me excited about it. Only thing that was "too quick" for me was the sudden jump from the prison to the underground headquarters. Had to read those pages three times and still was not sure how exactly they had gotten there...

As I am very familiar with Gary Franks art (read his Supergirl, read his Midnight Nation, read his Supreme Power and liked all of it), I can't see anything negative in his art. I can see that some fans might not like his art cause of the bulging eyes, but that's simply a matter of taste. I for my part never cared for Curt Swans art, But I would never say anything negative about his merits for the Legion.

So all in all I am still very excited about this run, it is currently my number one comic to read as soon as I get home with my monthly dose. Was not that excited about the Legion since I started collecting the US originals way back in 1994...

#58780 01/08/08 07:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I agree with CK on several points: the transition to the HQ was too quick and was less-than-well-paced (this is the closest thing to a negative that I've had towards this story thus far), and the Franks/Swan comparison. Swan is old-school and stiff, but competent; I've never been excited by his work, but I've never put any Swan fans down, nor do I feel the need to. I'll take Franks over any number of artists (including Swan), and while his eyes are an odd quirk, they are part of his style, and it generally works.

The Action run remains, to me, the most exciting Legion story at least since Robotica, if not since Conspiracy.

#58781 01/08/08 09:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What's going on here? Where are all the tears for Double-Header?!?

Long-time, ultra-obscure, quirky character - who was a SUB to boot - is heavily implied to be dead in this issue. And no one around here raises an eyebrow?

This is still Legion World right?!?

wink

I enjoyed this issue very much. I agree with those who say there seems to be a disconnect between this Legion and the Lightning Saga Legion, and also with the Crisis-era Legion, but for me that's not a problem. I'm just enjoying the story for what it is.

I enjoyed seeing the team come together a bit more this issue and love that Lydda seems to be included as a fully-fledged Legionnaire now. Brek definitely got a great intro (Johns must have a soft spot for this character) but I'm not so keen on the ice-arm or the costume. Though I liked everyone else's - including Lydda and Tasmia.

One thing I definitely am appreciating in this story though is Collosal Boy's prominent place in it. He is so normally side-lined during major Legion tales so it's great seeing that change here. And he had a great short and sweet line with "Revolution" too. I do wonder if it's perhaps being hinted that Yera has been killed off though? Just a feeling I'm getting. I wouldn't have much of a problem with it if so actually as I always felt she seemed to drag him down a bit somehow.

Anyway, looking forward to the next installment.

Page 23 of 42 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Surge Pack
Surge Pack
Portage IN
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star