Roll Call
0 members (), 6 Murran Spies, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:39 AM
What Turns you Off!!!!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:38 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:36 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/24/24 11:35 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/24/24 03:04 AM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by stile86 - 05/23/24 08:03 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 42 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58857 02/06/08 10:03 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
And she wouldn't have forced her teammates to choose between her and Yera. A loyal Legionnaire would not do such a thing.
Nah, Salu's been pretty feisty at times, and I could see her throwing a fit. And I could see it being settled with a private 'chat' between Vi and Yera that may or may not involve; 1) a bare-knuckled brawl (no girlyslaps or hairpulling for these femmes!), 2) taking their aggressions out on some Earth First idiots who interrupt their 'conversation,', and 3) grudging acceptance.

For that matter, I'm not sure if Yera is an official member or just a concerned non-Earther with connections to the team. Colossal Boy (probably) wouldn't be having a hissy about 'his wife' going off on a mission if she was an actual Legionnaire, any more than Bouncing Boy would get his panties in a wad if Luornu went on a mission. It's kinda part of the job. If Gim's having a tantrum, it's because going on dangerous Legion missions *isn't* part of Yera's 'job' as a civilian actress / model.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58858 02/06/08 10:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Remember how mad Vi was at Duplicate Boy for not saying anything to anyone that he suspected that she "wasn't the Vi he knew." Yera was clearly unaware that Shrinking Violet was being tortured. However, she was pretty stupid not to realize that something terrible was happening. Why else would she have been asked to pose secretly as Vi?

In bringing the issue up, I'm pointing out how the current series is harder for me to accept as a true blue TMK fan. The conversation between Yera and Vi, and grudging acceptance did occur in the 5YL storyline. It was the third annual, I believe. My take is that this occurred when they were actually a few years older than the Action Legion is currently being portrayed. It took Vi years to get over the sense of betrayal and her anger. Her feelings were clearly portrayed pre- crisis. The current version has been promoted as the return of the pre-crisis team. If we accept that, we're kind of saying that the 5YL Legion didn't really evolve from the pre crisis Legion. For some fans that isn't a problem because they always considered 5YL to be a reboot of sorts.

The TMK version of how Vi dealt with her feelings about the betrayal, grew naturally from Levitz's original story. The current storyline seems to negate the power of that story to a degree. As I stated in my original post, Yera's aappearance was a trigger for me to start making comparisons between TMK and Lightning Saga. This is something I consciously tried to avoid, fearing that it would lessen my enjoyment of John's story because I am so devoted to 5YL. It happened in spite of my efforts, and the result is what I expected.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#58859 02/07/08 08:56 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I agree with Set; I don't think Yera's a Legionnaire. And I don't want her to be! Not every character has to be a superhero. Just let her keep being an actress.

#58860 02/07/08 10:08 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yera is obviously a secret member of the Legion Emergency Squad. wink

#58861 02/07/08 10:54 AM
Leader
Leader
I think it's obvious that this Yera IS a Legionnaire. Brainiac refers to her as "one of US" and she's given the code name Chameleon Girl, which she never had before. She's also using a Legion log-recording device to record her mission.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#58862 02/07/08 11:02 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
It could be a field commission. Much like the one given to Shadow Lass when she was introduced.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#58863 02/08/08 08:38 AM
Leader
Leader
But Shadow Lass was not "one of us". In fact, she was told "this isn't your fight" after she accompanied the LSH back to Earth.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#58864 02/09/08 11:34 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
Originally posted by Zero Kahn:
[b] Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel/Una are all back in the 21st century.

I'm confused as to what we are suppose to assume about Luornu. If the Una that is back in time With KK is Action's Luornu... she should still be Duo Damsel as The Time Trapper/Glorith hasn't killed her 2nd body yet within Action's timeframe. So where is it? I've been assuming that Una is the first body of Lu's to die by Computo and that Duo Damsel still existed elsewhere. She hasn't actually been referred to in the current Action continuity yet has she? [/b]
I found some answers to my own question here:

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=006796

Una and her progenitor Triplicate Girl belonged to the first, "original" Legion "universe". (That is not to say, however, that it is exactly the same as the Silver Age version. There were clearly some changes made to the original universe when the Multiverse was recreated in Infinite Crisis.) Unfortunately for disciples of the post-Zero Hour and current Legion continuities, the Triplicate Girl from those more recent incarnations don't "count" in this story. (They're from different time-lines, or alternate Earths in the Multiverse, or… Arghhhh! My head hurts again!)

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#58865 02/11/08 06:31 PM
Active
Active
My guess about Yera's membership is that; as future Earth is more fascistic, the rules for Legion membership have probably loosened considerably. Since they're not so much of a "superhero club" any more but more of a group of freedom fighters. Hence in the new world order, they could no longer afford the luxury of the Legion's former snobby acceptance policy i.e. duplicate powers, artificial powers, etc. What I'm saying is Yera's a freakin' Legionaire yo!

Is that a moon?
#58866 02/12/08 12:18 PM
Active
Active
Oh, also. Violet probably just got over it. She's a big girl.

Is that a moon?
#58867 02/12/08 12:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I think it's obvious that this Yera IS a Legionnaire. Brainiac refers to her as "one of US" and she's given the code name Chameleon Girl, which she never had before. She's also using a Legion log-recording device to record her mission.
I didn't notice the Chameleon Girl until you mentioned it. (Those little blocks are invisible to me, for some reason, I gloss right over them...)

But the Legion log-recording device she was wearing as a bracelet? Never seen one of those before. My Legion-fu is weak.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58868 02/15/08 05:23 PM
Active
Active
i hope i dont get yelled at for this but i stupidly didnt get the lighting sag issues...yeah i know. i had just moved and i couldn't find a comic shop

can any one tell me the numbers so i can hunt them down? i've look on this thread but i cant find them

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#58869 02/15/08 05:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
they're in a tpb now.

#58870 02/15/08 07:17 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
i hope i dont get yelled at for this but i stupidly didnt get the lighting sag issues...yeah i know. i had just moved and i couldn't find a comic shop

can any one tell me the numbers so i can hunt them down? i've look on this thread but i cant find them
The actual issues are, uh... JLA 8-10, I think, and JSA 5-6. I think that's right.

#58871 02/15/08 10:20 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
they're in a tpb now.
i know but i don't think im ready to spend 24.99 for it with out reading it first

and i know i going to sound like a snob for saying this but.i want to hold off on the hard cover, until i can hold an issue and know Micheal turner had nothing to do with the art work inside, id rather spend the money on good artist then pay for shiny covers

thank you Matthew E

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#58872 02/16/08 01:31 AM
Active
Active
Oh my, finally my new Action issue is here.

Have to say, I really liked it. Though it was (FOR GODS SAKE!!!!) a little bit slower paced than the last one, it had a lot of interesting stuff which felt really right to me. The story getting more hopeless (more and more Legionnaires getting caught, but we KNOW, we KNOW that soon, they will all get free and KICK some major Earth-Man butt smile ), new revelations (Sun Boy making the sun go red, Yera undercover), characterization (Radiation Roy, Storm Boy, all logical continuations of classic Legion Lore) - I just loved it. Hope that they will resolving it in a satisfying manner.

Still think that currently, this is the best book on the market - the first one for decades that makes me read it AT ONCE, at the bathroom if neccessary.... smile

#58873 02/16/08 11:21 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Me too. This story is classic Legion in construction and in spirit...with modern story telling elements mixed in to the basic "Legion On the Run" tale.

I can't wait to open the book when it's out. I find it very difficult to make myself wait until I get home to read it.

I just hope Superman fandom feels the same way.

#58874 02/16/08 12:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Catching up in comments, one page at a time.

Re: Page 44:

Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I hate the name Earth Man. Can't they think of something better than that? How about Superhuman? Or Ultrahuman? Or Terran?.
I don't mind the name Earth-Man; it fits, especially given his agenda and propaganda.

Not only does Yera have hair, but her antennae are different too. They used to be miniaturized and sprouted from her eyebrows. Now they're larger and in the middle of her forehead like Cham's. Still, I like her new look.
I assumes she was caught mid-transformation, actually, as her disguise had hair. Or maybe she went Babylon-5, and got hair implanted to be more human.

Originally posted by Jerry:
Remember how mad Vi was at Duplicate Boy for not saying anything to anyone that he suspected that she "wasn't the Vi he knew." Yera was clearly unaware that Shrinking Violet was being tortured. However, she was pretty stupid not to realize that something terrible was happening. Why else would she have been asked to pose secretly as Vi?
As I recall, she was led to believe she was covering for Vi, who was on a top-secret mission for the Imskian gov't. Yera could easily have let delusions of self-importance and opportunity get in the way of thinking and analysing strategy; she wouldn't have been the first performer to have done so.

In bringing the issue up, I'm pointing out how the current series is harder for me to accept as a true blue TMK fan. The conversation between Yera and Vi, and grudging acceptance did occur in the 5YL storyline. It was the third annual, I believe. My take is that this occurred when they were actually a few years older than the Action Legion is currently being portrayed. It took Vi years to get over the sense of betrayal and her anger. Her feelings were clearly portrayed pre- crisis. The current version has been promoted as the return of the pre-crisis team. If we accept that, we're kind of saying that the 5YL Legion didn't really evolve from the pre crisis Legion. For some fans that isn't a problem because they always considered 5YL to be a reboot of sorts.
I am also a big TMK fan. At this point, I am assuming Yera was a sort of drafted-by-necessity recruit, as Cham was away. A major crisis like this sometimes causes people to swallow bitter pills and work with people they'd rather not face. In TMK, it was Vi's war experience that presumably served as catalyst for reconcilliation. In this variant, the whole JLA/Earth crisis could serve the same function.

Part of what I'm liking about the current story is that it borrows from both Levitz and TMK themes. As I'm not expecting it to be gospel to either (how could any new work do so?), I'm content to enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully, there will be adequate explanations as we go. So far, Johns has not disappointed; I'm content to let him unfold the story at his own pace. We fans are too used to assuming we know how things fit together in advance, and that's not necessarily a good thing, story-wise.

Originally posted by Matthew E:
I agree with [b]Set; I don't think Yera's a Legionnaire. And I don't want her to be! Not every character has to be a superhero. Just let her keep being an actress.[/b]
I agree with your supporting-cast views, but it does seem she is a Legionnaire (even if drafted, as I speculate). The code-name is one fairly clear sign; also there is a mention a couple issues ago about "Yera and the other Legionnaires."

Originally posted by Uranus Lad:
My guess about Yera's membership is that; as future Earth is more fascistic, the rules for Legion membership have probably loosened considerably. Since they're not so much of a "superhero club" any more but more of a group of freedom fighters. Hence in the new world order, they could no longer afford the luxury of the Legion's former snobby acceptance policy i.e. duplicate powers, artificial powers, etc. What I'm saying is Yera's a freakin' Legionaire yo!
I agree. That fits both the TMK-ish thmese, but also the blending of Subs without clear delineation.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#58875 02/16/08 12:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Re: Page 43:

Originally posted by Zero Kahn:
The more I think about it the more I am starting to think that the Lourna that is in Countdown is not the real one. You would think that if Brainy really had sent her back in time to help KK we would have seen some mention of Chuck by now worring about his wife. I am starting to think that maybe Chuck and Lourna are both going to be shown in that last issue of this arc working with the underground in some way. That would give Countdown nearly 8 more issues to reveil if she is the real thing or not.

Unless they go the sad arc and say Chuck has died between Crisis and now and that is why she agreed to go on a mission like this.
I'm stuill assuming Una is paired with Val because both were saved from untimely deaths; thus both can operate freely without the public at large, or spies/observors in the 31st C noticing their absense.

Back in L-Saga, Val mentioned being rescued by the founders; I think Una is Luornu's third body, rescued in time from being killed by Computo. She's made references to herself as Triplicate Girl, not being Duo Damsel (at least in the Supergirl appearance, and the one Countdown issue I did pick up).

Either that or she's the missing Cham.

#58876 02/16/08 06:26 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Which Supergirl issue was that?

There is no better Super Hero group to have ever been in comics than the Legion of Super Heroes.
#58877 02/17/08 04:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Supergirl #21 and #22 had the KK and Una appearance.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#58878 02/18/08 12:13 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Thanks Jerry cool

There is no better Super Hero group to have ever been in comics than the Legion of Super Heroes.
#58879 02/18/08 02:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm a little behind--sort of missed the Lightning Saga, hopped on Action a little late--but we're still in the dark as to what all of this means, right? We're not sure what the relationship between the current LSH continuity and the LS/Action Legion is, we're not really sure if the Action Legion is what the Legion would have become without Zero Hour, we're not really sure if the LS Legion is from the same reality/continuity as the Action Legion. Right? Is anyone else really worried that the answer to all of these questions is going to be really fanboyish and convoluted? Does anyone else have the sick feeling that whatever explanation we get will be one that negates all of these alternatives and gives us an inevitably unsatisfying restoration of, if not THE, A status quo? Head hurts, must lie down...

I know, I know, I'm wallowing in as much Legion action as I can remember in 20 years of Legion collecting...I should just lay back and enjoy it.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#58880 02/19/08 09:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Armsfall, in Lightning Saga and perhaps elsewhere we have seen references to a "Crisis of Three Legions."

In Action #850, we saw the current/Threeboot Legion, still looking for ways to get Supergirl back to the 21st, looking back on a time viewer and catching references to Superman interacting with the Legion - in ways leaving the Threeboot Legion quite confused.

Likewise, Supergirl's meeting with Karate Kid and Una in her series similarly confused those two as to why Suergirl had memories of meeting a Legion that didn't sound like theirs.

So we definitely have clear indications that the two Legions are not the same ones, and people are becoming aware of the differences; hoepfully the new DCMultiverse will continue to be wide enogh to allow at least 2 futures.

We have seen enough to know that the Lightning/Action Legion does have at least some variations from Preboot; even if it's just KK being alive while Jeckie is Sensor Girl (who appreared in Lightning Saga).

I am fully cogniscent that whatever the explanation, there will be plenty of fans who take issue with it. I don't care. I'm enjoying this Legion on par with DnA at their best, TMK, and Levitz. I'm more concerned with its continuance than how it fits in "continuity".

#58881 02/19/08 12:40 PM
Deputy
Deputy
So the LS Legion and the Action Legion are the same Legion? I seem to remember a reference from Action to the mission with the wands in the past. Does there seem to be a time lapse between the two? Is the Action Legion older, or does it just seem that way?

I'm completely off the reservation on KK and "Una" in Countdown. The KK in Countdown is the KK who showed up in the LS, right?

The current LSH featured in their own title have no Superboy/man memories, right? As long as the reboot Legion doesn't bounce out of Hypertime...

I'm not so much worried about continuity as I am making narrative sense (eventually).

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
Page 27 of 42 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,024
Posts1,045,679
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
confusionlad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Rockhopper Lad
Rockhopper Lad
The Pyngwyn Colonies
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star