Roll Call
2 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, stile86, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 20 Murran Spies, and 116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/20/24 08:27 PM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:47 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:46 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:45 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/20/24 07:31 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/20/24 07:30 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:03 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: New R.E.B.E.L.S. Comic Discussion Thread.
#603834 08/09/09 01:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I don't want to rain on the parade, but could Lyrl be a Black Lantern? I'd much prefer him to be alive and functioning, but still wonder about Vril's admission of killing his son.
I am thinking more like Lyrissa Mallor....or Lydea Darkstar (have not seen her in a while)...or some dead Omega Men members such as Demonia, Primus, and others.

Personally I would love to see Lyrissa back, instead of Lyrl.

#603835 08/10/09 01:58 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Superboy:
. . . respected and beloved as a giant starfish from outer space. . .
Is that an oxymoron?
lol
sigh

Sorry, Superboy, but I couldn't resist.

I hope Bedard isn't trying to 'change' the basic Starro concept, but rather, he hopes to 'expand' on the concept.

The bigger tummy Starro is just a more important substar than the others.
The big guy is still up there calling the shots and spawning the endless littler ones.

I don't think I ever really thought of Starro as a 'bad guy' though, more like a primal force/creature driven by instinct, in this case, to expand it's territory.

I guess only time will tell what Bedard's ultimate intensions are for Starro, but I hope, like you, that the seastar won't shrink to just a single warrior size forever.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603836 08/12/09 09:23 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
OP Offline
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Well, issue no. 7 is out, and I loved it. Loved it!

First of all the art was great (albeit with a few of the small quibbles that have been discussed in this thread before; this time, I disagree with the way the Oan Guardian of the Universe was rendered, but otherwise I thought that everything was great). In particular, three things really jumped out at me this issue art-wise: the design of the Dominion spaceship; the facial expressions of the Durlan, Ciji, because they revealed a lot about her character; and the cover itself. Mr. Clarke seems to have a gift for spaceship design, and the way he draws the little Durlan girl make her look so disarmingly cute at times. Did anybody else notice, by the way, that Ciji looked a bit fearful around Strata (probably because she can't physically hurt her)? And did anybody else think that the disapproving look/snarl she gave Dox in the final panel was priceless, too (obviously I did)?

SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS!!!

In terms of plot and characterization, I also loved that we were given a good look at the world of Gil'Dishpan. Needless to say, its a really neat place, or more correctly, I should say that it was a neat place!

Speaking of which, it "blew me away" when the Dominion General blew up the planet. Besides the science behind this being really neat, what impressed me the most was Dox's utterly cold and logical approval of the act. That was so in character for him, as was Strata's utter horror. And in terms of new character development, I enjoyed Amon Hakk's newfound sense of antagonism and shaddenpleasure (sp?), too, and can't say that I blame him a bit for it.

Anyway, needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

Cheers!

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#603837 08/16/09 10:58 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
1) I really enjoyed the issue as well. The Dominator General is an interesting addition to the story, and looks like he may tag along with LEGION for a while. I expect the next member of the team will be a Gil'Dishpan 'porter who stowed away in the nick of time. That would get the whole crew around a lot easier.

2) I love the way the Gil'Dishpan were drawn. Their skin had the look of earthworms! Cool!

3) Anyone else missing Tribulus already?

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#603838 08/17/09 03:00 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Tribulus?
No, is he missing?
smile

I love 'weavers' of energies in stories and the warp weavers are a wonderful addition to DC lore.

I hope that you're right and one (or more) tag-a-long with Dox.

And yeah, I really enjoy Clarke's work.
Those little ball creatures were interesting and imaginative, too.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603839 08/23/09 11:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
SPOILERS!

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">What does Harbinger have to do with L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S.? And when did Stealth die?!? She was alive and well last time we saw her.

This Legion has more than enough dead members and villains to be Black Lanterns - LyrissaMallor LadyQuark BertronDiib DagonRa MaximilianGOdd JivReddu Drakkan </span></span>

#603840 08/23/09 03:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lady Quark's not dead.

#603841 08/23/09 04:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Dominator General is a pretty good character, a yellow Dox. Pretty ruthless and goal oriented, heh.

Not sure I'm ready for the board rage though if Bedard does humanize that starfish. I mean, I don't have a dog in the fight but hate to see history trampled.

HAS to be a misdirection to cause angst.

#603842 08/23/09 04:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Lady Quark's not dead.
<strike>I thought she died in Infinite Crisis? When did she come back?</strike>

Nevermind, looked it up...

L.E.G.I.O.N.

Lady Quark is eventually recruited by Vril Dox to be become a member of the peace-keeping force L.E.G.I.O.N. in L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 #18. During her stay with the team, an alternate time-line presents itself when Dox captures the time-traveler Waverider; Lady Quark, Dox and Waverider then merge into a powerful, murderous dictator in L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 Annual #2. Lady Quark is apparently killed in L.E.G.I.O.N. '94 #62 after a parasitic shapeshifter absorbs her memories and powers. The shapeshifter replaces her in L.E.G.I.O.N., but later dies in L.E.G.I.O.N. '94 #70. Lady Quark's corpse is seen floating in space, heavily maimed.

Return

Eleven years later, Lady Quark returns alive and well without explanation in Villains United #5 (2005), in which she is captured by Sinestro at the request of Alexander Luthor, Jr.. She is imprisoned in Luthor's tower as part of his plan to bring the core Earths of the Multiverse back into existence. Lady Quark is later freed and joins Earth's heroes in defeating Luthor in Infinite Crisis (2005-2006).

Lady Quark appears again in several splash pages of Tales of The Sinestro Corps: Superman-Prime (December 2007), and again in a double page spread of Legionnaires and characters associated with the Legion of Super-Heroes in Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #5 (July 2009).
So she did die in L.E.G.I.O.N. but was brought back in for INFINITE CRISIS unexplained.

#603843 08/23/09 04:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
They left her floating in space. That is about as reliable as falling down a canyon.

#603844 08/23/09 04:42 PM
Leader
Leader
Ugh -- I might as well drop it now.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I couldn't care less about anything having to do with "Blackest Night," and if they're going to drag this Starro thing that long and probably beyond, plus do some crossover thing next year, my interest in the title is quickly tanking.</span></span>

#603845 08/23/09 06:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
no no no that's so wrong......why her and her? I would love to see Lyrissa Mallor and Bertrob Diib come back as Black Lanterns! groan - can somebody ask Tony Bedard if he has read all LEGION series? Did he?

#603846 08/26/09 11:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm kind of glad it's not Lyrissa eating people's hearts and licking their skulls.
ugh

I'm so sad to hear that <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Stealth</span></span> is dead!!???
When did that happen????!!!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603847 08/28/09 03:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I guess we'll find out in the Black Lantern issues. There hasn't been any reference to that death before.

Although I was going to wait for the TPB, I cracked and got the individual issues - and loved them! Don't understand why sales are so abysmal. There's so much going on, with so many different cosmic characters (it needs a second reading). Enjoyed even the Gil'Dishan did I - and the first time I felt some sympathy for a Dominator. The Durlan girl is incredible - funny, so horrible, and a nice counterpoint to the (usual) bikini and garters bad girl.

Way back in issue 2, the depiction and new history of Starhaven was welcome. Were those crucifixes on the wall, though? I got a bit of a chill when Dox said, Serve me and you will be reborn... of course he has a god complex, but what has been interesting is how he adapts his message to manipulate people.

The living computer who loved him... like Brainy building the Kara robot. Something else else in the genes, I guess.

I am kind of wondering how even Dox is going to get out of this.

Another funny thing I noticed was how many females are on Dox's team (if you count the Durlan as female).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#603848 08/29/09 10:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I seem to remember someone arguing with Dox about programing the computer, Silica I guess, to love him.
Or did he do that to someone else?
He tried to do it to Lydea when she first showed up, after she killed Lyrissa, maybe?

He likes to do that.
He thinks they'll do what he wants more readily, I think he said.

I wasn't looking for the crosses.
The real Anasazi, in our world (Earth Prime?) disappeared from their homes long before contact with missionaries so I just didn't think about it.
Good catch and a very chilling comparison.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603849 08/31/09 03:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
One thing that disturbs me is that we've got all this interplanetary, faster than light travel and marvelous machines - so what's left for the future? It seems that almost no progress (in terms of technological innovation) is left to be made between now and the 31st century, except on Earth.

There is the idea floating around in DC history that some cataclysmic war in the 27th (or 25th?) century occurred which wiped out a lot of development.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#603850 08/31/09 08:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
. . . There is the idea floating around in DC history that some cataclysmic war in the 27th (or 25th?) century occurred which wiped out a lot of development.
It's from a Shooter story about 'Soljer's Private War' in Superboy starring the LSH ~ 210 (25 cents!)
'He lived during World War VI -- a holocaust which nearly ended life on Earth ... a war of SUPERWEAPONS ... a war directed by COMPUTERS!'

Of course, that wouldn't have affected the reast of the DCU.

But something must have happened, perhaps yet another Crisis or 2 or 3 or . . ., that took away at least some of the worlds out there's powers of interstellar flight, leaving J.R.'s gates to open things back up and make him lots of money.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603851 09/05/09 09:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read # 7 last night... I think I'm starting to get into it.

Dox's closing line was PERFECT.

I **loved** the focus on the Gil'dishpan, and while we're on it, thank space they finally dropped the "gil'dan" crap.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#603852 09/06/09 10:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I did like that focus on a neglected planet in the DCU- though I wish there was more forward movement on the 'blueprint' Brainy Prime sent back in time.

Even though I simultaneously want REBELS to carve its own niche in the DCU.

I hope there aren't any more clever 'combinations'. I like Wildstar, but think it's a huge mistake to have her exist in the pasts of the characters Drake Burroughs and Dawnstar.

She should be generations in their future.

That's a qualm I have about this property from the get-go, though.

#603853 09/13/09 09:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I was thinking of posting this in a new topic, but screw it.

REBELS has officially reached a new generation. Bask in the cuteness of...

Plushie Vril.

http://Blackthornhiei.deviantart.com/art/Plushie-Vril-Dox-II-136967929

#603854 09/20/09 05:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, I just read # 8. Stealth fans will want to avoid this one. Nice appearance by the remaining OMEGA MEN.

A father and son are reunited.

Overall, enjoyable issue despite my one huge gripe.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#603855 09/21/09 02:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lyrl, bright and devoted boy that he is, will surely have a great incentive to restore Mom to her original condition. We didn't see a death certificate, did we? Lyrl ran off to escape the robots. Stealth's strange biology leaves a lot of doors open, although I'm not counting on her return to life.

But is Lyrl an ordinary kid, no 12th level intelligence, or is it latent and waiting to be revived? I think it's interesting that he's grown up in a jungle; I wonder what he's learned.

I thought it was interesting that Ciji appeared to be comforting the kid, since she's not exactly been the warm and sympathetic little girl whose form she's taken.

Maybe we'll get a Teen R.E.B.E.L.S. with Strata and Garv's child joining the group.

One thing I love about R.E.B.E.L.S. is all the little history bits from Encyclopedia Galactica. Bedard includes a few other sources of information as well.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#603856 09/21/09 02:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I thought it was interesting that Ciji appeared to be comforting the kid, since she's not exactly been the warm and sympathetic little girl whose form she's taken.

i.e. she's up to something. I think Bedard is putting more characters closer to Dox' standard of deviousness than we've seen before.

#603857 09/23/09 11:54 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I enjoyed issue #8, and REBELS right now is my favorite DC read. I love Bedard's use of the DC Interstellar Universe, weaving Dominators and Khunds and Gil'Dishpan and Psions and others into an interesting tale. The artwork has been amazing!

It disappoints me that the sales on this series has been low. I hope the Annual and Blackest Night crossover bumps it up, but I'm not counting on it.

Maybe, once Legion bounces out Superboy from Adventure and takes over the headliner spot AmonHakk , REBELS and/or Omega Men will get a place in the backup.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#603858 09/24/09 05:04 PM
Active
Active
Robinson just announced there will be a crossover with JLA in February or March. Which means DC is really trying hard with LEGION.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,541
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden