Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler), 26 Murran Spies, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:43 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:42 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:40 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:32 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/21/24 05:53 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/21/24 05:47 PM
Fatal Five in DC August Solicits
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/21/24 12:27 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/21/24 10:16 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview & Spoilers)
#608289 09/16/10 04:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The symbolism of it being Sun Boy and Shadow Lass that are clearly keeping an eye on him, as Earth-Man is 'trapped between the light and the dark' deciding which way he's going to go, is kinda neat.
Good point, interesting.

I disagree about interpreting Shady's look at EM as amourous.
It just looks intense and rather distrusting, to me.

And I didn't think that Sneckie was a slap in the face for old fans.
I'm an old fan.

But I always found the original to be extremely boring.
Even Sensor Girl was almost non-dimensional in personality.
The mask certainly suited her.

Now, I think I remember Legionnaires calling her Jeckie or Princess or something.
I'll have to recheck the dialog, but that would render the mask kind of rediculous, giving her identity away, imo.
Like the crown, it's counter productive to a 'secret' identity.

I thought that the lovely close-up of her that we saw was spoiled by the mask.
Jeckie may have little personality, but she IS beautiful.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#608290 09/16/10 04:21 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Set:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[qb] I find Dirk's joking(?) about picking up a Titanian girl in this context a little bizarre.
This, like the comment about Polar Boy breaking Sun Boy's flirting record in the second issue (ish), seems to be telling us about Sun Boy, by way of establishing characterization, rather than *showing us* that characterization.

[QB]
It just seems really clumsy and to make the characterization of him really one-note. Especially in a situation like this in which it seems the perfect opportunity to allude to other important beats in Sun Boy's past, like the evacuation of Xenn.

#608291 09/17/10 04:11 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
It just seems really clumsy and to make the characterization of him really one-note.
Oh, I agree. 'Show, don't tell' is a mantra of visual storytelling (usually TV, but is also applies to comics).

When a character's personality is described, instead of shown (and the character isn't in a coma or something...), it's just flat-out bad scripting.

Hence my sidetrack into speculating that this Dirk hasn't 'shown' the interest that he talks up, making me wonder if maybe it's a deeper thing, where he's putting on a show of being the same fun-loving skirt-chasing Dirk, when he's really more angry and bitter about recent events.

Maybe he's even a bit put out by how Garth and Imra are off saving the kids, and have the whole family thing going on, and Tinya's so important to Jo that she can snap him out of mind-control, and, because of his past choices, there's nobody who means that much to him, or to whom he means that much, which, now that he's all angsty about what happened in the recent xenophobia storyline, means he's got no one to open up to, or no one that he's close enough to that they would notice he's not himself...

Or not.

Could just be crap writing, and me trying to sew a silk purse out of it.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#608292 09/17/10 06:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The things that come out of Sun Boy's mouth lately are a bit off-putting ... maybe it's post traumatic stress disorder?
I agree with what you said Set. Hopefully he's not actually serious about the stuff he's saying but rather acting out in front of his old friends, you know, being the Dirk he's expected to be (a ladies man) rather than the actual person he is today, or how life has made him become (more mature if you will).
We all act a certain way in front of those people we grew up with as opposed to, say, the colleagues at a new job or something.

And speaking of costume blunders (Sensor Girl) I think it's only fair to mention those ridiculous light blue, (what are they anyway, leotards?) that Brin is sporting lately.
Really???? confused

#608293 09/17/10 09:59 AM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Originally posted by Candle:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
[b]wrong. the other thing all of Legion fandom agreed on was how awful "Sneckie" was.
I liked Sneckie, as a person.
The robot arms were silly, but Sneckie I liked.
Sorry GN.[/b]
I agree with Candle. "Sneckie" (and Monstress) both had a great deal of class, IMO. So, please, don't attempt to speak for all of Legion fandom, thank you very much.
shake

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#608294 09/17/10 11:42 PM
Active
Active
It looks like the Earth Force Trooper on the right is the only one with a clip in his weapon.

#608295 09/22/10 03:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Looks like there is a preview! I thought I saw one.

This has been a busy day at work. I can't wait to go home and read this.

#608296 09/22/10 04:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
boo hiss boo hiss.

my very sophisticated review of number 5.

#608297 09/22/10 05:13 PM
S
Active
Active
S
What happened in the issue? Spoilers plz!

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#608298 09/22/10 05:48 PM
Active
Active
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The Big thiing...the durlans killed Chief Zendax (im mad at paul for this...but maybe its too soon maybe hopefully he'll be alive after this arc. the 2nd thing is there is some mystery with Harmonia lee she's older than she looks ...LOL </span></span>

also for the main spoiler all i'm gonna say is ...i was right i was right ...i was the first to say it i was right yahooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Bring back the super-cousins
#608299 09/22/10 06:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I thought the <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Zendek murder</span></span> seemed to solidify this as it's own continuity ... yet another 'boot. which i say again should be titled 'Earth Man and the Legion of Super Heroes'.

maniacs that topple civilization only need 5 issues to be redeemed.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">and bed the blue female on the team. </span></span>

#608300 09/22/10 07:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I can't say I'm happy with either the death or the bedding.

I was hoping Paul would get over his Earth-Man obsession and move on to a more deserving of face-time Legionnaire like Matter-Eater Lad or Night Girl.

#608301 09/22/10 07:19 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
So nothing happened with the kids.

#608302 09/22/10 07:42 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Something else else is definitely up with Harmonia Li. Someone who talks the way she did is hiding something. And she knows other immortals that she can compare the Guardians to? I've been trying to think of who she can be, but the best I can come up with is Talia Al Ghul (remember Ras was a reboot villain) or maybe the new Emerald Empress. This also raises the possibility that the "accident" that destroyed Titan was Li deliberately starting something.

#608303 09/22/10 09:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Awesome issue. Levitz, Cinar and Portela are starting to click with me. We're getting glimpses of characterization for more members. It was nice to see Jeckie taking a leadership role during the opening battle. It was nice to see Gim refer to her as Jeckie after she was taken out. Brainiac 5 was less grating. Chameleon Boy showed some real personality.

Yes, the death scene was a bit disappointing. It was pretty dramatic, though, and there is some suspense now that the victim's identity has been stolen.

The mystery with Harmonia Li deepens. Is Earth Man's transformation legit? I'm even getting interested in the, "Who will be the Green Lantern?' subplot.

I liked the way the bedroom reveal was handled. Tinya phasing into her friend's room unannounced to retrieve the medikit seemed very natural. Earth Man all beefy, buff, and hairy chested... I can deal with that.

Major thumbs up for the art team this issue. The action scenes were especially well done.

Next month: Special guest artist Phil Jimenez! That's the way to end an issue on an exciting note.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#608304 09/22/10 10:42 PM
Active
Active
I was hoping Paul would get over his Earth-Man obsession and move on to a more deserving of face-time Legionnaire like Matter-Eater Lad or Night Girl.
why would he be over him in just 5 issues of the reintroduction of this legion in their own book again?

And i suspect Earth Man's turn around with what Brainy did to his ring.

#608305 09/23/10 12:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
No.
You think he couldn't have changed his demented mind for a chance with Shady?
What a farce.
He's a crazy man.
One minute he's torturing Dirk, the next he's sorry for his mistake.

All I can say is that he'd better be lying or maybe PAUL's the nut job.
sigh

And there's Tinya being all sex policey.
geez

Not to mention Li being an immortal, probably one of the female Guardians, given her opinion of them.
If she's not the Emerald Empress, or one of them, since we saw two Eyes in this continuity, I don't know what powers she has, but I bet she HAS some.

And good guess on the Time Institute not being an accident, Ken!
THAT'S a mystery I can get into.
The EM stuff is just ugh!
I'm not crazy about the Durlan plot either but I'll give it a chance.

I'm with Tinya all the way on the EM/Shady subject!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#608306 09/23/10 06:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well this issue sure was a surprise, for a lot or reasons. It was a mixed bag of good and bad, for me at least.

I still think Earth Man's inclusion in the Legion is a huge mistake. Not only did we have the message that it's ok to be a narrow-minded racist in the 31st century, because you'll make it into the Legion anyway (how contradictory by the way), but now that selfish, low-brow xenophobic attitude is sexy enough to attract a Legion veteran (an off-worlder herself) and get her into bed with you.
Nice message there Paul!
I'm not the least bit impressed. The hand-to-mouth shock value was, in no specific order: predictable, lame and cheap. I do not care for this particular subplot nor the players involved, specifically Earth Man. And now Shady, if that's who it actually was in bed with him. There is no way to redeem her as a serious character after this, in my opinion. Her merits as a role model, hero, alien, and woman are down the drain after this huge lapse of judgement. She just slept with everything she's supposed to stand against.
She left the company of a noble man like Monel for that??? There is NO WAY this is the real Tasmia Mallor. It has to be somebody else ... otherwise Shadow Lass is dead to me as a hero. I just will never take her seriously after this.

* Ummm ... of course I will eat humble pie it that wasn't in fact Tasmia at all and turns out to be an illusion or something! *
laugh

#608307 09/23/10 09:21 AM
Active
Active
I still think Earth Man's inclusion in the Legion is a huge mistake. Not only did we have the message that it's ok to be a narrow-minded racist in the 31st century, because you'll make it into the Legion anyway (how contradictory by the way), but now that selfish, low-brow xenophobic attitude is sexy enough to attract a Legion veteran (an off-worlder herself) and get her into bed with you. Nice message there Paul!
Have we lost our faith in Paul and our legionnaires?

1) Haven't we had people who don't belong in the legion as members? The message isn't it's ok to be a narrow-minded racist in the 31st century, because you'll make it into the Legion anyway instead maybe the message is even a hardcore bigot can learn to change his mind while the legion themselves models the best of the U.P. by getting along with each other and that has an effect on making a change. Have we forgotten Reboot Andromeda?

2)How do we not know that Paul/Shady is doing something that is beyond what we know with our eyes. We don't have all the facts yet and given how long some of us have been with the Legion and admired Paul why are we so ready to give them up when they do stuff that appears contridictory to what we know about them without letting them & the story play itself out.

I have faith in Shady. I also have faith in Imra and not ready to just toss em out just cause something appears to turn them into something that they weren't before. Give Shady/Paul a bit of credit based on what you know of them.

#608308 09/23/10 09:27 AM
Here's a thought: could "Shady" be Yera or Jekkie trying to get close to Earth Man in an attempt to figure him out?

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#608309 09/23/10 09:28 AM
K
Active
Active
K
I don't think Shadow Lass has any ulterior motive. Her dialogue in the last couple of issues seems to indicate she's a little embarrassed by really liking Earth-Man.

It is possible, however, that Earth-Man is under the influence of Brainy's flight ring. Brainy made vague comments about it being a mood ring. Earth-Man has changed his mind awfully fast for it to be real. Perhaps Shady thinks she's reforming him and doesn't know the truth.

future king: she didn't leave Mon-El for that, the breakup with Mon-El came before there was anything between her and Earth-Man.

#608310 09/23/10 09:30 AM
Active
Active
And there's Tinya being all sex policey.
geez
That's not being sex policy..that's a friend being disgusted by what sees her friend sleeping with someone who's been a bigot as well as placed her (PG) and Ultra Boy in blocks leaching off their powers.

Kinda if someone jewish was sleeping with a nazi who became part of the resistance while holding some of his nazi beliefs still being ordered to be with the resistance of face jail time.

But i'm in the camp there's some reason why Tasmina is sleeping with Earth man other than sexual attraction. And who knows...Tinya could be in on it and this is a red herring misdirection to the readers. It's happend before.

#608311 09/23/10 09:35 AM
Active
Active
I don't think Shadow Lass has any ulterior motive. Her dialogue in the last couple of issues seems to indicate she's a little embarrassed by really liking Earth-Man.
Since when has proven to be 100 percent the case? Haven't we seen a legionnaire say/act like something is true then it turns out it was a misdirection by the writers for the true state of affairs to come out later? Case in Point, Cosmic Boy in the Reboot...he appeared to be Chu's lap dog...but all along he had his own plan at work. Another example. Superboy and the Invisible Kid/Ferro lad clones. From all the dialogue even the internal dialogue...he acted suprised that they were alive (he appeared to believe they were the originals come back to life) yet at the end of the story we found out he already knew they were clones and the legionnaires already let him know in advanced. have a bit of faith in shady.

#608312 09/23/10 10:49 AM
Active
Active
Am I the only one who thinks it was totally inappropriate for PG to phase into Shady's private room?

I agree the jury is still out as to what is going on here. Perhaps it's not really Shady, perhaps it's not even Earth Man. Perhaps nothing physical has actually happened between them yet and she is just leading him on to get information but was interrupted before she could put the brakes on herself.

I also don't mind the whole Earth Man sublot. I like his power and it is a unique one in the Legion at the moment. If he is reformed, he needs a new codename as the current one is not at all descriptive of what he can do.

My major complaint is... where the H is Luornu? I want to see her use her beefed up power!!!!

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#608313 09/23/10 11:02 AM
Active
Active
i would say its only inappropriate if they had an understanding of her not doing that. But being that they're both BFFs i doubt such a rule ever was spoken of or thought of. I'm pretty sure Tinya's phased into Shady's room b4 like this billions of time, and She was never offended by Tinya doing so. After all wouldn't she have put a stop to it if she was...we know Shady doesn't hold back her mouth.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,567
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Super Lad Kid
Super Lad Kid
Michigan