Roll Call
2 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, stile86, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 20 Murran Spies, and 116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/20/24 08:27 PM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:47 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:46 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:45 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/20/24 07:31 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/20/24 07:30 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:03 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #6 (Preview & Spoilers)
#614492 10/21/10 07:28 AM
Active
Active
I'm glad Paul addressed the privacy issue between Shady and PG. It really bugged me last issue and I'm glad it bugged Shady too!

So happy to finally see Lu (and so many of her) in these pages. She looked great but I admit to finding her kind of dull when she is in instructor mode. I want her involved in a real adventure!

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#614493 10/21/10 07:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought the main story took a back seat to the excitement of seeing the Academy again and Cos' involvement in it. Plus seeing Duplicate "Girl" (typo?) was really nice, so much potential with her power augment.
I think Jimenez's sleek style suits the 31st century and I predict his run on Adventure Legion/Academy will be a memorable one.
We are introduced to some really cool new heroes and powers (can't wait to hear the explanation of how another mutant with the exact same powers as Condo came out of Phlon), I already cannot wait to see more of Variable Lad! Plus .... and this is the best part of the whole book for me personally was, ... laugh ... VAL ARMORR IS BACK!!!
ALLLLRRIIGGGHHHHHHTTTTT!!!!!!! YEAH! YAHOO!! SUCCESS AT LAST!!!!!
lol
Sorry guys, the kid in me (no pun intended) just came back alive. Karate Kid was/is my favourite Legionnaire; always has been, always will be.
I like his new no-collar look. It's cleaner looking. I started a thread on LW asking for KK to return, and my hunch was that he would return with amnesia. Let's see if I was right.
I do agree though that Projectra was acting a bit freakish, what with sleeping with the charred remains of Val's costume. Ick!

Back to the main story.
I hope Paul Levitz knows what he doing with the character of Shadow Lass. I do not like her or respect her more now for her new choices and connections (E-Man), quite the contrary. I will go so far as to say I do not like her any more, all current things considered.
Speaking of Earth Man, it's hard to put into words how I feel about the character ... it's like having to peel off the messy shell of a piece of shrimp in order to get to the delicious part. You have to get thru it in order to get to the stuff you like. That's how I see him in my favourite comic book now. Like an annoying ad appearing while you're watching your fav show, or a pop-up on your computer ... that's life!
Oh well, some of you out there like him, right?

I have to agree with what somebody else said earlier, Brainy was portrayed as an absolute weakling the way he cowered to E-Man's idle threat. Come on, seriously? If Brainy was that spineless (which he's definately not) he wouldn't be the iconic hero-with-the-smarts he is today. But Earth Man? Seriously?? Come on, who is HE anyway, a second-rate reject-turned-villian-turned-nazi? So now he's a formidable threat to Querl? Sorry, I'm not buying any of it.

Looks like Ayla and Vi might be an item again ... guess we'll have to wait for the annual to come out before we have confirmation on that.

I really, really liked Portela's artwork on this issue. He's welcome to stay as long as he likes in my opinion.

I sure hope nothing diabolical happens to Gym's mom ... no more killing our supporting characters! Enough is enough!

Finally, how great was it to see Matter-Eater Lad again, even if it was in a comical/endorsement way. I guess Paul still sees him as a comic relief character as opposed to a unique power with endless potential. *sigh*
Oh well... frown

Anyways, I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of the book, not to mention another chapter in the lives of the Legion Academy. Yay!!! smile

#614494 10/21/10 08:14 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Crymsun Kid:

Am i the only one who doesn't like Timber Wolf's ID box? His powers should be Agility and Super Speed.. not enhanced senses and claws.
Super strength, not speed.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#614495 10/21/10 08:16 AM
Leader
Leader
I would've been happier with the Brainy/Eman scene if Brainy had simply turned on his force shield and gone back to his work, ignoring Eman, who would've had no choice but to walk away in frustration.

When PG is inside the speedster early in the story, we see Shady on a view screen using her power to cast shadows. Why? What purpose is she serving? When we next see the exterior of the ship, she and Gim are just flying alongside it. No shadows in sight. For that matter, why did she jump on top of the ship in the first place? And how did she do it without breaking an ankle with those spiked heels of hers?

#614496 10/21/10 09:21 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Originally posted by Crymsun Kid:
[b]
Am i the only one who doesn't like Timber Wolf's ID box? His powers should be Agility and Super Speed.. not enhanced senses and claws.
Super strength, not speed. [/b]
Should it not be both? I seem to recall a letter response by Mr Levitz where he explains that whilst Brins speed is certainly not in the Mon El/Ultra/Super Boy level it should still be considered super as he is substantially quicker than the average person.

#614497 10/21/10 09:53 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by stuorstew:
Should it not be both? I seem to recall a letter response by Mr Levitz where he explains that whilst Brins speed is certainly not in the Mon El/Ultra/Super Boy level it should still be considered super as he is substantially quicker than the average person.
Don't know about that, but I do recall an in-story reference that said he was faster than anyone WITHOUT super speed, which implies that he doesn't have super speed, but yes, he is very fast.

In his intro story, he is said to have super strength and super acrobatic agility only.

#614498 10/21/10 10:21 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wow, great issue. My favorite issue so far. New characters? The Academy! (Power Boy!) Magic Wars did happen! Phil Jiminez!

Loved that page with Jeckie! Jo & Tinya! Good stuff.

#614499 10/21/10 12:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I personally liked seeing Imra, Garth, and Brin by Jimenez.

Out of the new students it's a tie between Dragonwing and Chemical Kid.

#614500 10/21/10 12:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't see why Brin has to be limited to powers that he had when he first appeared.
We know that he's entering a time when the chemicals in his body mutate him further.
Paul may not go as far as TMk did, but seeing his speed increase isn't much of a stretch.
And perhaps the acrobatics was just not included in the list. Unfortunately, since that has aways been a part of his abilities.

As for the Shady development, none of this goes with HER established personality OR even Umbra's.
We never saw her go after men according to their 'warrior' status before now, nor has she hopped quickly into bed with someone, either as the original Shadow Lass or Umbra.
Shady might have had a crush on Brainy, but Lar was her only partner, the same with Umbra.

Paul is copying Waid's Shadowlass Prime.
And I hated her.
She was brainless, manipulative and a complete user.
I just can't stand it that Paul can't come up with something original in his characterization of her, something wonderful instead of something cold and ugly.

Anyway, I'm done with her.

I get my copy today and I can hardly wait to see the new Academy kids!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#614501 10/21/10 12:51 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I don't object to Brin's powers mutating, but I object to him mutating into a Wolverine clone, which is what everyone seems to want to do with him over the past couple of decades.

#614502 10/21/10 12:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't.

#614503 10/21/10 01:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i was wanting to drop the lsh with number 5.

the whole 'Earth Man and the Legion of Super Heroes' thing wasn't doing it for me. the strange in continuity but not quite in continuity that seems to be going on. and Tasmia bedding someone who should be busy being tried for war crimes. not to mention .... there's hasn't been a villain or plot yet besides Earth Man and his emotional development. and i'm not bowled over by the art.

but i picked up this issue at the store just to flip through it. and i'm a sucker for new characters ..... especially ones named chemical kid and dressed like gravity lad. besides i think this is the best jimenez art since his Otherworld. (props to scott koblish ad hi fi colors)

so ... im back for now ...

smile

#614504 10/21/10 01:17 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Originally posted by Candle:
I don't see why Brin has to be limited to powers that he had when he first appeared.
We know that he's entering a time when the chemicals in his body mutate him further...
In another thread (the Leadership one) moments ago I also pointed out that some legacies, behaviours, and predispositions should be coming into play in some characters, based on developments during the 5-Year gap that should apply even if history doesn't unfold in exactly the same way again.

In regard to the controversy about Tasmia's romantic switch to Kirt, I'm okay with this development for several reasons, including her own explanation.

As for Brainy's seeming cowardice, yes, it bugs me, too. But we have to keep in mind that it may have been motivated by guilt, as I'm sure that Querl was well aware on some level that its morally wrong to to surreptitiously tamper with someone's free-will.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#614505 10/21/10 01:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
btw has anyone else had the very negative thought that Pol may have died some other way ... I'm not getting my hopes up that just because he's dead means the MW happened. (which is one of my favorite stories) and that we are in some sort of 5YG reboot or untold stories that took place right before things went to hell.

re: brainy

haha the only reason he would be cringing is if he plotted that encounter (moments after his birth) and it somehow benefits his larger plan to cringe at that moment in front of Earth Man.

he dosn't cringe in front of the Time Trapper but he cringes in front of Earth Man.

#614506 10/21/10 02:06 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
Maybe the reason he cringed from Earth-Man was that he was taken by surprise that Earth-Man knew that his ring included some mind-tampering.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#614507 10/21/10 02:11 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I don't object to Brin's powers mutating, but I object to him mutating into a Wolverine clone, which is what everyone seems to want to do with him over the past couple of decades.
Exactly!

#614508 10/21/10 02:46 PM
Active
Active
I read number 6.
And still without news of Nigth Girl, XS and Star Boy.
Till now no explanation of they status in the team.
The appearance of Matter Eater Lad, I must say it seemed to me to be a shame.
It is good to see Luornu again, but it preferred seeing her in the group that in the academy.
Phill Jimenez has drawn the best legionnaries of this new incarnation. Excellent Timber Wolf, Projectra with the color of suitable hair.
A new Chemical King is interesting and Karate Kid's return is a response to the order of the fans.
In addition Projectra deserves a little happiness.
Still there are too many good absent legionnaries..
Mon-El and Polar Boy in Daxam, now Imra and Garth leaving the group momentarily, Duplicate Girl in The academy..
This team needed two books, no one academy spin-off.
Nice touch in the hall of heroes with Kyd Psycho statue...but Reflecto?
Another dark point is...If the Magic Wars happened...the Sorceress World was destroyed.
Where are now Mysa and Blok?

From UK with glamour.
#614509 10/21/10 02:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I for one am happy Garth and Imra are leaving.

Speaking of Star Boy...it looks like he got replaced by a 70s vintage half naked character.

#614510 10/21/10 03:01 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by Power Boy:
btw has anyone else had the very negative thought that Pol may have died some other way ... I'm not getting my hopes up that just because he's dead means the MW happened.
Possibly, but the Archmage is in the pannel where Cos is reflecting on Pol's death, suggesting that it did happen. Of course, his mother is in the pannel also and he questions if she will ever forgive him for allowing Pol to become a Legionnaire and die in his place.... even though she was long dead from the terrorist attack on Metropolis (LSH vol 1 #297) before Pol joined the Legion (LSH vol. 2 #14). Suggesting her death didn't happen. More contradictions. Go figure.

#614511 10/21/10 04:15 PM
Leader
Leader
I think Rokk was referring to his mother's spirit/memory, not her living body when he was thinking about her. My parents are both deceased, but I still "talk" to them.

#614512 10/21/10 05:17 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Power Boy:
btw has anyone else had the very negative thought that Pol may have died some other way ... I'm not getting my hopes up that just because he's dead means the MW happened. (which is one of my favorite stories) and that we are in some sort of 5YG reboot or untold stories that took place right before things went to hell.
The Arch-Mage was shown in the panel that mentioned Pol's death, so we can assume that the Magic Wars did happen.

EDIT: And someone else already made that point. Oops. In order to salvage this post, I'll make a different point instead. Maybe Brainy was scared of Earth-Man because he felt ashamed of tampering with Earth-Man's ring.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#614513 10/21/10 05:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
thans guys, i didn't catch that, i was so excited i was reading too fast .....

#614514 10/21/10 05:44 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
LOVED- Chemical Kid!

HATED- Brainy cringing over Earth Man's bullying!

LOVED- Ayla & Vi's casual intimacy!

HATED- Tasmia letting her hormones overtake her common sense!

LOVED- the playfulness between Jo & Tinya!

HATED- the uneven-ness between Portela's pages. Some were brilliant, some were awkward!

LOVED- Paul addressing so many dangling plot-lines & continuity-cop's annoying questions so seamlessly & unobtrusively!

HATED- Variable Lad being drawn with only three arms instead of four, as natives of Jaquaa have!(as per Dr. Gym'll's first app & designer/artist Pat Broderick)

LOVED- Phil Jimenez' art!

HATED- still no Latinos in the 31st century!

LOVED- Gravity Kid's skin-tastic Grell homage costume!

#614515 10/21/10 05:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
yeah there's not a lot of brown in the 31th cent. i pretend that many of the dark haired legionnaires are latin, middle eastern, asian, or some brownish mixture by that date.

#614516 10/21/10 07:11 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
I absolutely loved this issue. it was like the 1980s all over again with the multiple subplots and abundance of characters. i loved seeing the Legion Academy again, although I can't believe that Comet and Jed (and some others...Crystal Kid, etc) are still there after all of these years!!! Although I loved the Academy, I'm not too sure they sustain a solo book so soon, but we'll see.

A couple of other things...shouldn't Luornu be married or maybe she's not usung her maried name. I was hoping that there would be mention of Dacey and Dorritt. Maybe there whereabouts are being kept secret. Perhaps this is the real reason Garth and Imra are taking leave...unless she's pregnant!

Otherwise, I loved the issue and the art was fantastic. THIS is the Legion I began collecting 30 years ago (WOW...just realized 1980 was 30 yrs ago!!!).

Long Live the Legion!!!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,541
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires