Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 29 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Preview for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10
#615009 06/23/12 08:10 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I liked the issue but it bugged me that you had 2 nonmembers saying they would be willing to die trying to rescue Brainy & Dreamy. They and the retired members are willing to risk their lives while the active team sits by? Hope there's something being left out because it just seems wrong that the active members would let an underpowered team do this.

#615010 06/23/12 10:21 AM
Leader
Leader
Good points, MEM.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#615011 06/23/12 10:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Set:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.
I thought that myself, but then realized that 'super-speed' has to come with some sort of acceleration / propulsive force built in, and if he's flying when it kicks in, it should make him fly faster (and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).

He's been shown using super-speed while flying for ages, so it seems that he can do both (the time he flew beside Lazon and punched him in the face, comes to mind).

Jo's power is kind of an exercise in waving your hands furiously in protest anyway. If he used super-speed without either invulnerability or some sort of speed-force ability to ignore friction, he'd flatten like a pancake and burst into flames. If he used super-strength without invulnerability, he'd smash every bone in his body the first time he super-punched something. And his 'penetra-vision' appears to be both X-Ray vision *and* telescopic vision, at the same time.

Heck, the power write-ups for him don't even mention any longer that he can channel ultra-energy for flight, without a Flight Ring, since it never really comes up...

Still, he's my favorite of the Krypto-class dudes, since he's got to work that much harder to hang at their weight class, due to his limitations, and yet, he's also got no red sun weakness, no inconsistent magic weakness and no kryptonite / lead weakness, which can sometimes prove handy.
He is vulnerable to 'radiation'. It is rarely touched on ... probably because radiation is everywhere.

IIRC.

I like Jo though. I think Morrison's take on Smasher ... the copy of Ultra Boy was interesting ... he would 'download' powers for various missions. Making him a bit more like a Dupe Boy, or an Erg 1. But its not unreasonable to think Jo would be able to learn to use his energy in new ways for new power sets. Truly making him more versatile than a Kryptonian. (even If still less powerful. )

#615012 06/23/12 10:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Re: Jo's hair

I didn't like it myself ... thought it looked like cords or strings or something. dread locks ...

I do love how many brunettes there are in the LSH, in my fantasy world ... I imagine because most people in the future are ethnically mixed ... and people mate across cultural and ethnic lines with reckless abandon. wink

#615013 06/23/12 07:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I wonder when editorial will realize that if they didn't decompress the storytelling, we fans would probably be asking a lot less questions about their reasoning? After all, we'd be too interested in the issue to question our suspension of disbelief.

#615014 06/24/12 07:45 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
I wonder when editorial will realize that if they didn't decompress the storytelling, we fans would probably be asking a lot less questions about their reasoning? After all, we'd be too interested in the issue to question our suspension of disbelief.
I agree.

#615015 06/24/12 08:32 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
I hope The dominators kill Comet Queen and the newbies.
I´m very bored ....about the new recruits...
Me too! Bring back the real Academy graduates (the ones people actually wanted to see join) and just about anyone else. Also, the book could use some drama -- the deaths of the new recruits would do that.

#615016 06/24/12 08:35 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.
Technically yes. But Jo does seem to be able to lend speed to the ring -- kinda as Wally West used to be able to lend speed to other characers or objects.

I submit that there is more to Jo's powers that he realizes. Actually, I think that could be true of most of the Legion -- whose powers seem to be stuck at Silver Age levels. Doesn't anyone abilities evolve over time?!

#615017 06/24/12 09:28 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by kcekada:
I submit that there is more to Jo's powers that he realizes. Actually, I think that could be true of most of the Legion -- whose powers seem to be stuck at Silver Age levels. Doesn't anyone abilities evolve over time?!
Indeed!

Heck, Element Lad's powers have significantly *downgraded.*

I've noticed that the word-blurbs are deceptive as well. Lightning Lad/Lass have blurbs stating that they have powers of 'electrical manipulation,' which is nothing at all like what they do, which is 'chuck lightning at people.' They don't manipulate the electricity in people's ray guns or computers, causing them to fritz out, or do anything that seems like 'electrical manipulation.' They just shoot lightning. That's no more 'manipulating electricity' than I am 'manipulating kinetics' by firing a gun or punching someone.

In theory, if Garth or Ayla (or Mekt) can actually manipulate electricity, they could cause a person's body to collapse nervelessly to the ground by messing with the electrochemical signals between nerves. They might even be able to reprogram computers. Instead? ZARK!

Tyroc is the only one that we've seen significant development of his powers lately, because his powers have been re-imagined.

Timber Wolf has gone in the other direction, having apparently forgotten that the power that got him into the Legion was 'super-acrobatics' and not 'claws, regeneration and super-senses.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#615018 06/26/12 05:55 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Set:
I thought that myself, but then realized that 'super-speed' has to come with some sort of acceleration / propulsive force built in, and if he's flying when it kicks in, it should make him fly faster (and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).

He's been shown using super-speed while flying for ages, so it seems that he can do both (the time he flew beside Lazon and punched him in the face, comes to mind).

Jo's power is kind of an exercise in waving your hands furiously in protest anyway. If he used super-speed without either invulnerability or some sort of speed-force ability to ignore friction, he'd flatten like a pancake and burst into flames. If he used super-strength without invulnerability, he'd smash every bone in his body the first time he super-punched something. And his 'penetra-vision' appears to be both X-Ray vision *and* telescopic vision, at the same time.

Heck, the power write-ups for him don't even mention any longer that he can channel ultra-energy for flight, without a Flight Ring, since it never really comes up...

Still, he's my favorite of the Krypto-class dudes, since he's got to work that much harder to hang at their weight class, due to his limitations, and yet, he's also got no red sun weakness, no inconsistent magic weakness and no kryptonite / lead weakness, which can sometimes prove handy.
IIRC Jo was shown using super speed for flight back in Adv 380.
I think that using invulnerability alone would also enhance his normal strength by not having to worry about pulled muscles.

#615019 06/27/12 08:49 PM
Active
Active
Seeing a one-sleeved Brainy cavorting about evoked memories of the Newell "Exile" storyline from the 80's--which never really was resolved with any satisfaction...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#615020 06/28/12 03:18 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally posted by Korbal:
Seeing a one-sleeved Brainy cavorting about evoked memories of the Newell "Exile" storyline from the 80's
OMG! That was the first thing I thought of as well! smile

#615021 06/28/12 06:08 AM
Active
Active
I enjoyed that storyline. Maybe when Dawnstar gets back from being "Lost" we can resolve it some day. Didn't Levitz reference that story in his new run of the Legion in the past couple of years...?

#615022 07/06/12 08:16 PM
Active
Active
One thing I liked adopt the character Dart in the Atari Force series back in the 1980's is that the artists would actually "show" you part of her dreams/visions. I have always wished that was the way Dream Girl's abilities were portrayed in the Legion. It would be interesting to get teasers of things to come through her visions.

#615023 07/07/12 02:01 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
If Jo can lend his superspeed to the ring's flight, then, how could Pol have beaten him to the magic lock, thereby dying?
Or, wasn't Jo there?
(I'd look it up if I still had the issue.)
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#615024 07/07/12 02:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Wasn't he off fetching Cosmic Boy from Earth then?

Although Jo MUST be able to lend speed to his flight ring, given how he was always shown speeding off into battle alongside Mon-El, Wildfire and Dawnstar...

#615025 07/07/12 03:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
No invulnerability for space travel?
A transuit, I guess.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#615026 07/07/12 05:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Good point on that one. That one-power at a time limitation sure is easy to forget about.

#615027 07/07/12 07:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Finally picked up my copy of this issue. The art was either glorious or barely adequate depending on which part of the story. I understand Lu wanting to bring in a tracker and a psi as the group has been using members with those abilities successfully before. Brainy and Nura were the highlight though her saying they will be betrayed lacked the punch I think it was supposed to convey. Jo, Rokk and Mon talking like friends was well done. I still don't understand why the Espionage Squad weren't sent in though. 7 out of 10 this month. Not as good as last month though I'm still on board.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#615028 07/07/12 08:47 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Wasn't he off fetching Cosmic Boy from Earth then?

He already knew about Pol's death when he picked up Cos.

As I recall, the fact that Pol could outrace the super-speedsters was explained by a combination of his headstart plus the fact that flight rings are particularly responsive to the will of their owner. Apparently he just really *wanted* to get their first.

#615029 07/08/12 01:39 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, I remember that explaination.
That's why I brought up Jo's superspeed in comparison.
His superpowered flight speed combined with the ring's speed and will factor really should have made Jo the fastest, discounting Lar and Dawnstar. who also have superspeed flight and rings.
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#615030 07/08/12 04:29 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I vaguely recall that Wildfire, Dawnstar, Superboy and Mon-El were the 'fastest,' with Ultra Boy only hanging with them on occasion.

Anywho, his ultra-speed *has* to have some sort of built-in propulsion, or else he'd never be able to run faster than a human body can fall (125 to 200 MPH, generally, depending on body position). Since he obviously can, the ultra-energy has to be 'pushing' him somehow (just as the Speed Force 'pushes' the Flash-peeps), and if it can do that when he's on the ground, there's no reason why it can't do that when he's in the air (or in water, or in space).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#615031 07/10/12 03:37 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[qb]Wasn't he off fetching Cosmic Boy from Earth then?

/QB]
Thanks, EDE. I remember why I got confused now - I remember Ultra Boy, Dawnstar and Wildfire were among the first to escape from the large "web" trap that the whole Legion plunged into. Then I remember Jeckie telling those three to go off and find help. Somehow I remembered it as them jetting off at once even before the other Legionnaires freed themselves and found the lock.

Re willpower, I remember this was touched upon with Dream Girl and possibly Blok, too.

#615032 07/11/12 12:12 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]Wasn't he off fetching Cosmic Boy from Earth then?

As I recall, the fact that Pol could outrace the super-speedsters was explained by a combination of his headstart plus the fact that flight rings are particularly responsive to the will of their owner. Apparently he just really *wanted* to get their first. [/b]
The obvious answer was that Jo didn't want to die in a keyhole, and was happy to view Pol make the ultimate sacrifice from a safe distance. In that situation, Jo switched to his power of "Ultra-Carefulness".

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,961
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pariscub
Pariscub
Edinburgh, Scotland