Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 11:11 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 10:48 AM
Fatal Five in DC August Solicits
by Rob-Em - 05/22/24 10:42 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Harbinger - 05/22/24 08:40 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/22/24 07:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/22/24 06:24 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/22/24 05:54 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 05:33 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS
#616358 06/26/10 11:57 AM
Active
Active
There is something deeply ironic about Earth Man. He can absorb the powers of others... powers that in most cases are derived from an alien race. Wouldn't the use of these powers be abhorrent to him considering their origin?

In this issue he took on Colossal Boy's powers... who is an earthling and acquired them through artificial means. So no conflict there.

I wonder if Paul will explore this dilemma? I think Earth Man should show a certain amount of revulsion when taking on certain powers.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#616359 06/26/10 11:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Haggard Lad:
Originally posted by Blacula:
[b](Could've done without the "Quel" though. They still speak French in the 31st Century? I don't think so.)
Why wouldn't there still be people speaking the local Earth languages? Interlac is the standard for the United Planets, but I don't see why certain cultures wouldn't preserve their native languages. [/b]
I know it's always been Jacques' thing, and I'm no linguophile (proven by me possibly making up that word?) but with the way the world is being so globalised so quickly do we really think there would be more than one language in 1000 years time? Heck, even 500 years time? I'm not sure there will be.

I do like that it specifically pin-points Jacques' origin as being somewhere else in the world other than Northern America though (unlike so many of the rest of the DCU) so I like that aspect of it. It's just one of those things that seem like an anachronism to me.

#616360 06/26/10 12:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Did anyone notice Jacques now has facial hair?

And I forgot to mention this:

Dream Girl could still be in the 21st Century. Just because she's with the Legion NOW doesn't mean she hadn't been captured. That's the beauty of time travel stories.

And God bless Cinar for remembering LL's tattoo.

#616361 06/26/10 12:26 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by rouge:
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
[b] Hee hee I guess with everyone looking at Tyroc's lack of hair and wondering how his voice can work in airless space, everyone missed Seeing Yera aka Chamelon Girl on page 9, panels 1,2 & 6 (especially 6)
Great Catch! The eyes have it. LOL![/b]
I just got the issue out and checked it to see just what people were talking about. Okay, that is weird and I don't see how it couldn't have been intentional.

#616362 06/26/10 01:34 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[snip]

Originally posted by Blacula:

I do like that it specifically pin-points Jacques' origin as being somewhere else in the world other than Northern America though (unlike so many of the rest of the DCU) so I like that aspect of it. It's just one of those things that seem like an anachronism to me.
I've said this before, but languages around the world do have their ebbs and flows. Many of them have made resurgences in modern times after being on the wane for extended periods of time.

I'm all for it. It's a realistic touch, and it underscores the tension between being "of" the larger world around you without becoming completely submerged in it.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#616363 06/26/10 01:40 PM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
I'm glad Invisible Kid got to speak!!

I hated Dream Girl's non-platinum hair!!
I like the updated version of his original costume, too!

I'm guessing Dreamy's hair is just a coloring error.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#616364 06/26/10 03:09 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
I just got the issue out and checked it to see just what people were talking about. Okay, that is weird and I don't see how it couldn't have been intentional.
It's certainly a huge upgrade for Yera, if this is the case. Cham can't turn into energy, after all.

If Yera can turn into a hologram, she's one part Chameleon Boy, one part Monica Rambeau.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#616365 06/26/10 03:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by razsolo:

- Levitz has a GREAT handle on Gates! Did he teleport the three of them from Earth to Naltor though?? That's pretty hardcore! Has he always had interstellar range?
Never any planet to planet, much less solar system to solar system.
I seriously doubt he's suppposed to have done that.
I was thinking spaceship to ground, sort of like the Star Trek transporter.
Which would be pushng his powers quite a bit, but not impossibly so.

But who knows?
Imra is using telekinesis (?) and maybe Yera is turning into energy.
Odo, the shapeshifter on Deep Space 9 could become energy, particularly fire, but he was sort of an energy plasma in his natural state.
For that matter, STNG had a race of shifters who were even more energy based than Odo's people.

But Cham and Yera?
We haven't seen that ever before, have we?

Maybe we should chalk it up to Cinar's inexperience with the Legion or Levitz's bad memory or something.
At least, until we see it again and more explicitely.
?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#616366 06/26/10 05:05 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Who's to say that that's a hologram? The picture's flat and even in the 21st Century we have electronic picture frames. They're not holograms, they're just screens that display images. She'd only have to be able to glow.

Alternately, maybe it's Quislet, although he could only hide so long before it disintegrates.

#616367 06/26/10 05:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Am I missing something? What has everyone so convinced it's Yera? My first thought was Quislet, but I forgot about the disintegrating thing.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#616368 06/26/10 06:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have to admit, I am confused as well about the Yera thing.

Touch the magic...
#616369 06/26/10 06:57 PM
I'm also confused. I see the "moving eyes" in the portrait of Brande and the founders, but that's all I noticed.

Set:
It's certainly a huge upgrade for Yera, if this is the case. Cham can't turn into energy, after all.

If Yera can turn into a hologram, she's one part Chameleon Boy, one part Monica Rambeau.
As for a shapeshifter generating actual energy, why would they have to? Threeboot Cham once impressed Saturn Girl by creating the illusion of lightning while posing as Lightning Lad. It was just the appearance of energy, yes? Not actual energy powers.

confused

#616370 06/26/10 07:44 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I thought this issue was slightly better than the first. I liked the inclusion of more Legionnaires (the three founders can get kinda boring). Welcome the return of Tyroc. Can't remember did Infecious Lass marry Tyroc or Jaques in the Giffen future?

Artwork was solid -- though lacking a futuristic, sci-fi bent that I think the series needs to stand out.

Giving it time to gel...

#616371 06/26/10 07:48 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
-Saturn Queen? Kinda random but logical given what happened to Titan. Little sketchy on what she was after, though. Weird seeing her "in-continuity', even after L3W. And what was with the Nemesis Kid remark?

Excellent question. I don't recall Saturn Queen ever being part of the Legion of Super-Villains when Nemesis Kid was in it. In fact, wasn't she only featured in the adult Legion stories way back in the Silver Age -- which have since been disavowed.

Whatever the case, she needs to update her look. Is she planning on skating in the next winter Olympics or what?!

#616372 06/26/10 09:34 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Who's to say that that's a hologram? The picture's flat and even in the 21st Century we have electronic picture frames. They're not holograms, they're just screens that display images. She'd only have to be able to glow.

Alternately, maybe it's Quislet, although he could only hide so long before it disintegrates.
In that segment we all witnessed the amazing return of...
ANTI-LAD!!

You heard it here first.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#616373 06/26/10 09:39 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
In regard to Jacques, I like a little French thrown in every once in a while. It gives his character a little something extra, much like RJ Brande and his verdamn German expressions.

I thought his white streaked hair was a proud experience mark, but if he'd rather go Grecian Formula for the girls, maybe Drura will come by?

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#616374 06/27/10 12:03 AM
Applicant
Applicant
I seem to recall Jacques speaking "Franglais."

Mixed reactions to this issue. I feel like Levitz is regaining his stride, but not quite there yet. Granted, he's inheriting a LOT of chaos, and I'm guessing we'll see him at his best when things start to calm down.

I definitely liked seeing as many Legionnaires as we did, and the return of Tyroc, apparently with powers limited to sound and vibration. (I like the theory someone mentioned about his powers being psionic in nature so he can focus their direction--explains why his sonic blasts don't destroy his teammates' eardrums!)

Some of the characterizations were spot-on--like Imra's clever way of tracking the kids, or Dawny being disoriented by teleportation. But I agree that Brainy and Jo felt off. The first line from Gates was perfect, but the second too harsh--he's established as having accepted the Legion's ideals, if not those of the current U.P. administration. And where was Shady's partner Lydda during the riot scene?

Agreed that the second inker complemented Cinar's style better than the first.

I felt like throwing Saturn Queen into the middle of the Earth-Man and Titan stories was a bit much...unless it is all tied together in a big LSV plot, as someone suggested.

I would like an official roster of the active members one of these days. But at this point, I'm back along for the ride.

#616375 06/27/10 10:53 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I like the idea of Jacques as a native French speaker (though it's an interesting question whether 31st century French would be as different from modern French as, say, 11th century English is from modern English).

What I object to is the syndrome of just throwing in random "High School French" phrases. See seanbaby\'s classic critique of thi...in Super Friends (third paragraph down).

#616376 06/27/10 12:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by cleome:
I'm also confused. I see the "moving eyes" in the portrait of Brande and the founders, but that's all I noticed.

[b]Set:

As for a shapeshifter generating actual energy, why would they have to? Threeboot Cham once impressed Saturn Girl by creating the illusion of lightning while posing as Lightning Lad. It was just the appearance of energy, yes? Not actual energy powers.

confused [/b]
Casting illusions is as big an upgrade as shooting electricity, imo.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#616377 06/27/10 12:40 PM
Eh. Not really. So long as the "lightning" or "energy" is still attached to the shapeshifter's form, it's not really different than any other appearance change.

It's similar to the character turning into a "fire-breathing dragon," but the "fire" appearing from the "dragon's" mouth can't actually burn anyone.

#616378 06/27/10 12:46 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
In regard to Jacques...
I thought his white streaked hair was a proud experience mark, but if he'd rather go Grecian Formula for the girls, maybe Drura will come by?
And when he learns what her superpower is, his hair will turn white all over again!

lol

#616379 06/27/10 01:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't think that flesh lightning is going to fool anyone.
Flesh fire, maybe if it's far enough away form you, but flesh lightning that's supposed to look real?
Don't buy it.
(I don't 'buy' the flesh fire either, but he's been shown doing it before, which was not well thought out, imo.)

What I don't get, is that Absorbancy Boy gets to become Earth Man, but the Legionnaires are all still 'boys' and 'lads'?!
He should be called, at the very least, Earth Boy.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#616380 06/27/10 01:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
What I object to is the syndrome of just throwing in random "High School French" phrases. See seanbaby\'s classic critique of thi...in Super Friends (third paragraph down).
That is always hilarious. The guy speaking broken English can say 'supervillain' or 'electromagnetism' but has to revert to Spanish (French, German, whatever) to say 'hello' or 'good.'

#616381 06/27/10 01:36 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I hope Jacques's white streak comes back. It's his badge of courage from the GDS, a lingering visual reminder of his trial by fire and of the story itself.

As for Cham, I've never understood why he supposedly can't take on the natural abilities of animal forms he assumes. If he can take on dragon form, for example, he should be able to breathe fire. Super powers are trickier and more understandable, as those are extraordinary among their races.

However, among those races where the powers are indigenous (Tharnians, Titanians, Bismollians, Daxamites, etc.), Cham could theoretically be able to mimick their powers if he can mimic those of animals.

I guess the point is if Cham could do all those thing, he's arguably the most powerful Legionnaire (and Durlans the most powerful aliens). In any case I'd like to see the powers better defined. I've seen shape-shifter power descriptions (among different characters in different companies) stating that when they appear as larger creatures, they don't really have any more weight or mass or whatever. That's always confused me.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#616382 06/27/10 02:03 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
As for Cham, I've never understood why he supposedly can't take on the natural abilities of animal forms he assumes. If he can take on dragon form, for example, he should be able to breathe fire. Super powers are trickier and more understandable, as those are extraordinary among their races.
While I know the science is Star Trek-iriffic, I like the idea of him being able to adopt animal abilities like camoflauge or poison or webbing or generating some current (like an electric eel).

The problem with that is when someone goes all Grant Morrison with the idea and has him start turning into alien animals that have whatever darn power he wants, starting with Lightning Beasts of Korbal and progressing up to radioactive fire-breathing space dragons.

Since this is a book set in a future setting with hundreds of worlds worth of alien fauna to choose from, Cham would theoretically have thousands of unique capabilities, and he would quickly become Cham Ex Machina.

'Oh, we're trapped! Good thing Cham can turn into a Blargian radio-beast and call for help with his funky antennae!'

'Form of a Thelaxian crystal-spinner, able to create webs as hard as diamond! I'll bind the ship together with my webs, so that we can make it home!'

'Sollusineeri flare-jumpers live in the hearts of stars! In this form, I'm immune to Flare's worst attacks, and can still beat her to death with my tail!'

'Qwardian jumping spiders are made of pure antimatter, all I have to do is spit at the Eye of Ekron and it will explode!'

However, among those races where the powers are indigenous (Tharnians, Titanians, Bismollians, Daxamites, etc.), Cham could theoretically be able to mimick their powers if he can mimic those of animals.
I wouldn't mind a Durlan being shown to have that sort of ability, to change itself on a genetic level, and assume the baseline powers of a Braalian or Bgtzln or whatever, but clarify that most of the Legionnaires are ridiculously skilled by comparison to the baseline for their species, so that the Durlan copycat might be able to look like Imra or Rokk, and have telepathic / magnokinetic abilities in those forms, but will never be nearly as proficient, skilled or even talented as those individuals.

And, I'd prefer that such a Durlan not have the already amazing range of proficiency that Cham has demonstrated, with the mass-changing and stuff.

Yera might have been a great choice for that sort of thing, since assuming *humanoid* forms and impersonating them so precisely as to fool biometric scanners is her special thing. It would be cooler, and help to distinctify Cham and Yera if their powersets weren't homogenized, and he could do all the funky 'turn into anything' stuff, while she was more specialized, but also more powerful in that specialized range, able to not just turn into an Imskian, or a Coluan, but also to gain their innate racial characteristics (shrinking, 10th level intellect, etc.).

But, as they say, that's an idea whose time was missed.

Instead Cham and Yera both seem to be able to do whatever the hell the current writer wants them to be able to do, and be given limitations that promptly disappear when a new writer shows up.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,586
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Sonnie
Sonnie
home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work