Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: LSH #11 (preview/spoilers)
#618080 03/24/11 02:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just had time to skim read this on the way home. Lots happening, some good interaction between team mates, some nice nods to the past. And i liked the art work

One thing jarred on the first read through though was Timber Wolf defeating Sun Emperor. I mean Sun Emperor was supposed to be the evil Sun Boy equivalent. We know Dirk can melt his way through the hull of space ships and stuff, we know Dirk can be used to power a red sun. So by analogy the Emperor should be the same power levels. We’ve seen a simple kiss burn the skin of a woman’s skull And yet Brin gets away with a burnt costume???? Since when did Brin get invulnerable??

Did like the line about being human and not an animal though.

Faithfull
#618081 03/24/11 03:08 PM
Active
Active
that was cold of Vi, I wonder if the eye is having an effect on her??
Nah don't think that's the eye...i think its just normal disgust with an individual who you kidnapped and replaced and have your friends and lover not really notice or in the case of the boyfriend notice but thinks you gave your id away.

Remember what she did to Micro Lad last time they met. She punched him so hard some of his teeth left his mouth.

Bring back the super-cousins
#618082 03/24/11 06:51 PM
Leader
Leader
I do think it's refreshing to see opponents with dissimilar powers opposing each other, rather than the tired old Lightning Lad vs. Lightning Lord, Saturn Girl vs. Saturn Queen, Element Lad vs. Cosmic King, etc. but I also agree that T Wolf fighting a fire powered villain with his bare hands was stretching the suspension of disbelief pretty far. The transuit idea occurred to me too, but since Brin's costume was burned off, apparently he wasn't using it or it wasn't effective. Would it melt to his skin? Or is it more of a force shield?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#618083 03/24/11 10:24 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Brody27:
It seems the writer's idea of characterization is to make Lightning Lass and Shrinking Violet shrill, angry, man haters. Great way to perpetuate inaccurate stereotypes. He really does seem stuck in some previous decade of the 20th century.(especially when you consider the "Valley Girl" Comet Queen)
I think Violet was justified, in this case.

As for Comet Queen, she was created back then and not as much time has passed in the comic as in reality, so it's sensible that she's still like that. Besides, there seems to be something about her we haven't heard much about.

#618084 03/25/11 06:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, Gim's been a doof, but his doofiness hasn't gotten people killed like it has recently, has it?

And I thought it was funny, too, that Brin says he's not an animal.
Especially with his fangs hanging out!

Brainy's 'women' comment was similar to his 'girls' comment all those years ago.
sigh
On the one hand, women shouldn't feel left out, in the Ayla exchange, on the other, Dawnstar and Nura do what they do, negatively, because they're women.
confused

And maybe Brainy chose Kara because he knew their relationship would end early and impossibly.
That way, he can tell himself that he loved someone, grieve endlessly when it's convenient and go on about his business fairly undisturbed.
He's pretty frustrating.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#618085 03/25/11 08:05 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
So, reading it and re-reading it, I've noticed the following;

So far, if anyone's rioting or a prisoner or whatever, they are automatically aliens, and if anyone is working as a security officer, prison guard or SP, they've been human. Those two SP officers in Kyoto, the reptile dude and the Ultraman -looking dude, make for a nice contrast. (Plus the Ultraman-looking dude was just funny.) It seems that Earth is recovering pretty fast from the xenophobia thing, if they've already got alien SPs again...

Fume and Frost intrigue me. (Fume more so, because she's more 'original' than 'some dude from Tharr.')

Vi spitting on Micro Lad's corpse was a bit outrageous, but it's totally understandable.

And, in a moment of shocking hyprocrisy from me, I wish Violet's costume didn't have sleeves. Yes, yes, I want everyone else to wear sleeves, but long sleeves on a girl wearing a miniskirt is just weird looking to my eye... smile

Nice to see some mention of Thom's condition being imposed by the suit or something, and not a pre-existing 'always been crazy' thing. Sort of retcons the retcon, but since I didn't like the retcon, that's cool with me. Also interesting to see that the wormhole generating gravity control stuff is suit-related, and not a lasting retcon to Star Boy's original mass-inducing powers. Looks like Paul is getting rid of both the 'always a schizophrenic' and 'gravity control powers' changes made when Thom was bought over to the 21st century.

Both the SPs and Timber Wolf refer to Sun-Killer as 'Kodama-san.' That's a bit odd, since it's traditionally something one says *to* a friend, not *about* someone (who isn't even a friend, anyway). Eh, I guess 1000 years of linguistic drift could have changed that. Or perhaps 'Kodama-san' is his name, because he was a host for a children's show before he became a super-villain, like Mister Rogers? Perhaps Sun Emperor *really meant it* when he called Kodama a 'clown,' because he's a children's entertainer!

"On the next episode of 'Oh no! Kodama-San!' Kodama-San devours a sun and takes up a life of super-villainy! Call in on our special Kodama-Phone and try to talk him out of it, kids! Cr3.99 a minute, get your parents permission first."

The Sun Emperor vs. Wolverine fight was not great. Oh sure, it was a neat fight, but we know that Sun Emperor can incinerate a person with a touch, and Timber Wolf isn't invulnerable. He should have used his power of super-acrobatics to avoid the fire blasts of Sun Emperor, and then done something clever like fling some debris at him with his incredible strength and speed, since, even if it melts before it hits him, it's still gonna weigh a half-ton and smash the fiery fool.

Too much Wolverine there, not enough Timber Wolf. He should fight more like Spider-Man, since he's strong and fast, but not invulnerable or capable of healing wounds as fast as they appear (or regrowing chest hair from flames strong enough to burn off his 31st century shirt...).

Several scenes felt 'meta,' as if the author was directly addressing the reader. The calling out of Drake as sexist, and him being defensive about it, Mon-El staring at the reader saying 'I didn't ask for this job,' Brainy explaining how much he loves his annoying teammates to Nura and telling her to stop sniffling. Scenes like that just ring terribly false to me (and, in the last case, kind of annoying).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#618086 03/25/11 10:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I love it when characters break the fourth wall. I find it hilarious when characters are making fun of themselves.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#618087 03/25/11 11:54 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Set:

Both the SPs and Timber Wolf refer to Sun-Killer as 'Kodama-san.' That's a bit odd, since it's traditionally something one says *to* a friend, not *about* someone (who isn't even a friend, anyway). Eh, I guess 1000 years of linguistic drift could have changed that. Or perhaps 'Kodama-san' is his name, because he was a host for a children's show before he became a super-villain, like Mister Rogers? Perhaps Sun Emperor *really meant it* when he called Kodama a 'clown,' because he's a children's entertainer!

"On the next episode of 'Oh no! Kodama-San!' Kodama-San devours a sun and takes up a life of super-villainy! Call in on our special Kodama-Phone and try to talk him out of it, kids! Cr3.99 a minute, get your parents permission first."

Actually, 'san' is used whenever you speak of or to someone, whether they are your friend or not. I lived in Japan for 5 years, and even when Japanese speak of someone they always refer to them with 'san' whether they are present or not. To not do so is a big no-no and shows much disrespect. I haven't read this issue yet, but it sounds like Levitz used it correctly.

However, Sun-Killer would never refer to himself as Kodomo san like he did in his first appearance in Advneture. That isn't done.

#618088 03/25/11 12:56 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Good to know! I'd been told, many years ago, that it was presumptuous and rude to call someone '-san' when they weren't specifically present, or your friend.

Obviously, I misunderstood the advice (or that advice was hideously out-of-date, which, since the guy was a WW2-era Japanese man, who'd lived in the US for the last forty years, is entirely possible)!

Still, the idea that Kodama was a former children's entertainment show host is amusing anyway. smile

#618089 03/25/11 03:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Set:
Good to know! I'd been told, many years ago, that it was presumptuous and rude to call someone '-san' when they weren't specifically present, or your friend.

Obviously, I misunderstood the advice (or that advice was hideously out-of-date, which, since the guy was a WW2-era Japanese man, who'd lived in the US for the last forty years, is entirely possible)!

Still, the idea that Kodama was a former children's entertainment show host is amusing anyway. smile
Very true lol! And I wasn't trying to be nit picky about your post! It was very insightful and well-written.

#618090 03/25/11 04:18 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Naw, it was good to know. I wouldn't want to end up accidentally offending someone with bad info like that!

#618091 03/25/11 05:10 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
The transuit idea occurred to me too, but since Brin's costume was burned off, apparently he wasn't using it or it wasn't effective. Would it melt to his skin? Or is it more of a force shield?
It could be that Brin's transuit lasted just long enough for him to defeat Sun Emperor.

#618092 03/25/11 11:55 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Vi spitting on Micro Lad's corpse was shocking & undignified... I loved it!
Poor Lalo's dead body didn't even get an info box-another dis!
For a ruthless villian with ice powers, Frost is one hot daddy.
Cosmic Boy & Lightning Lass's costumes were colored differently in different panels, so Hi-Fi is still on my shit-list, even though Dream Girl's hair was finally colored correctly.
Brainy's little speech to Nura about choosing to live with "you...idiots" seems to be Paul's way of addressing complaints about Querl being portrayed so cold & mean lately, but it still managed to sound snide & insulting.
Poor Colossal Boy continues to be an inept, bumbling idiot, as he has been since issue 1.
The Timber Wolf/Sun Emperor battle was completely silly, but I loved every panel of it!
I wish Brin had emerged with a crew-cut though.
Boy, that Harmonia Li just pops in wherever she wants, it seems. Can't wait to learn who she actually is.
Daniel HDR did a fine job filling-in, but what kind of name is HDR??

#618093 03/26/11 07:21 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Boy, that Harmonia Li just pops in wherever she wants, it seems.
Yeah, Legion HQ has like, no security, *at all.*

"Oh hi, I let myself in. I also picked up this complimentary Legion Flight Ring that was on Shadow Lass's night stand, while I was snooping around in people's rooms."

"Did you notice that I'm not Asian any more? I call it the 'reverse Jim Lee.'"

#618094 03/26/11 07:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
lol!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#618095 03/26/11 05:07 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Looking at it again, I think Timber Wolf's new costume looks better when it's on fire.

"You know what's a good look for you? On fire!"

#618096 03/27/11 02:30 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
[b]The transuit idea occurred to me too, but since Brin's costume was burned off, apparently he wasn't using it or it wasn't effective. Would it melt to his skin? Or is it more of a force shield?
It could be that Brin's transuit lasted just long enough for him to defeat Sun Emperor. [/b]
#WINNER!

#618097 03/27/11 06:20 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I finally noticed that the SP officer in Japan looks like Godzilla!!

#618098 03/27/11 06:53 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
I finally noticed that the SP officer in Japan looks like Godzilla!!
Oh, wow, you're right! And that makes the other SP looking like Ultraman even funnier!

#618099 03/28/11 12:24 PM
Active
Active
And I see Gamera too..before the batlle of Timber Wolf with Sun Emperor (in page 12)
All my stars from kaiju-eiga Godzilla, Gamera and Ultraman.
Who is the next...Rodan, Mothra or King Ghidorah?

From UK with glamour.
#618100 03/28/11 12:30 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Yes Gamera was in the alley. I also think I might have seen a couple other figures in there, but will have to check again. Surprised that neither Jonny Soko, nor his Flying Robot, were there.

#618101 03/31/11 12:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't read this issue yet 'cause I'm still waiting for my copy of the LSV Special to arrive (2 more days!) but I was just wondering if everyone had the same cover as I did (with Timber Wolf fighting Sun Emperor)?

I thought this was supposed to be a Nura and Thom cover with the TW/SE cover being for #13. Was that a variant? Or is the DC website just erroneous?

#618102 03/31/11 10:17 AM
S
Active
Active
S
I definitely had the Timber Wolf/Sun Emperor cover with no mention of it being a variant so perhaps the two cover were switched with the Thom and Nura one now the variant

#618103 03/31/11 03:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
And I see Gamera too..before the batlle of Timber Wolf with Sun Emperor (in page 12)
All my stars from kaiju-eiga Godzilla, Gamera and Ultraman.
Who is the next...Rodan, Mothra or King Ghidorah?
If we get to vote, I'm all for Mothra. I've always had a soft spot for her and her singing twins(I remember them as twins, anyway.)

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#618104 04/01/11 07:19 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Finally got my copy so here's some thoughts:

1. It's hard to believe that Tyroc is becoming one of my favorite Legionaires! I've always had a soft spot for him since I first started reading in the Grell days and he was the first new member I saw join. I've always rooted for him, and now he's becoming a great character. I'm voting for him in the next leader election.

2. Violet is a treat these days, isn't she? However, spitting on Micro Lad's corpse is totally in character for how she's acted since getting out of that stasis tank. Still, I wish she would soften up a little, but I doubt that's going to happen.

3. Timber Wolf is another character I'm growing to love. I've always been lukewarm about him, but I'm liking him a lot in this new series. He's becoming one of my favorites.

4. Poor Colossal Boy. He's always been one of the most boring characters, always overshadowed by family and that's not getting any better. It's a bit pathetic. Surely Levitz can do something interesting with him. He's Jewish, he probably has some detective skills from his time in the SP Academy, anything.

Anyway, enjoyed the issue overall and ready for more.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,084
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden