Roll Call
1 members (Sarcasm Kid, Sarcasm Kid), 8 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/25/24 01:32 PM
Why doesn't anyone here say 'chuffed', damnit?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 05/25/24 01:31 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/25/24 06:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/25/24 06:56 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:39 AM
What Turns you Off!!!!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:36 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Adventure Comics #11/514: Preview/Discussion (Spoilers!)
#623027 05/13/10 01:20 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Haven't read it yet, but I have to say I've enjoyed the whole Superman/New Krypton/Mon-El/Brainiac/Legion tie-in. Mon-El has learned how to live and how to be a hero. We've seen Legionnaires throughout the Super books for a year plus, which can't hurt the prospects of their own book sales. And I like the connections between Superman, Brainiac and the Legionnaires. This storyline helps explain why Superman was universally revered by the 30th Century -- he and his helpers created a new group of interstellar societies, and did so by undoing the destructive villainy of Brainiac. It's a nice concept, and I like the fact that it puts Brainiac front and ceter as Superman's #1 cosmic villain, something the Dini cartoons did brilliantly but something the comics haven't done successfully since the 1970s. I'll take Brainiac over Mongul and Darkseid ANY day. Brainiac, for better or worse, has shaped the interstellar society that 21C earth exists in, but thanks to Superman and the Legion, that will all now start to change, and 1,000 years hence, heroes from those rescued worlds will repay that debt of gratitude by saving earth, whether earth was grateful or not. I LIKE how that all ties together. It weaves the Legion powerfully back into the Superman mythos. Having said that, I am now really excited to read some awesome stories about a newly revived and revitalized Legion of Super-Heroes, baby!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#623028 05/13/10 02:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think that the original colonization idea was stupid.
Or at least, scientifically ignorant.

Every one of those colonies would have had to be genetically enginered to have the powers they did.
None of them would have developed in any degree in a few hundred years, on their own.
Yet, that was never spoken about.

And you couldn't just make those kinds of mutations without there being other changes in the humanoid form and biology.

And the moon of Saturn is totally uninhabitable by any humanoid form in the 21ar century.
Even with hundreds of years of terraforming I don't think it's possible, much less right now.

Sooner or later, the Legion has to catch up to current scientific theories and capabilities, much less a thousand years in the future, which is a day on a cosmic calendar.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623029 05/13/10 02:52 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Candle:
And the moon of Saturn is totally uninhabitable by any humanoid form in the 21ar century.
Even with hundreds of years of terraforming I don't think it's possible, much less right now.
For my own fanon purposes, I had the Titanians dwelling below the methane glaciers in the old H'sann Natal bases brought up in the Teen Titans.

Over centuries, they expanded them, and any scene of what appears to be 'outside' on Titan would be interior parks or telepathic / holographic imagery.

It's not like DC doesn't already have the tools in place (in this case, the alien bases already on Titan), they just seem to be too lazy to use them.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#623030 05/13/10 03:06 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I don't see how it's any different if you have Lar "seeding" the worlds, however. Any method that he could use to make Titan habitable could, presumably, be duplicated by colonists with enough technology. And as far a changes to humanoid form and biology, the "meta-gene" explanation is really just ad hoc hand-waving to cover up the same problem.

#623031 05/13/10 07:11 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I didn't hate it as much as others seem to, but I agree that is was disjointed and way too long.
Most of the problems, I think, stem from the fact that there were too many hands in the pie, writers, artists and editors, which made the whole thing lack coherence.

#623032 05/13/10 07:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was speaking from an 'our' Earth and system perspecitive.

I didn't know that there were humanoid looking beings of Saturn already, for example.
Who knows what Titan looks like or is capable of if it already has some sort of breathable atmoshphere?
There really are no logical scientific rules in the DCU.
I guess we shouldn't look for any of it to make sense.

I just read the 3 books I get this week, dotREBELS, Adventure and one of the Superman books.

No Phase OR Durlan shown in the picture of Vril and his early dotLEGION.

I kind of wish someone had wanted to save some of the Kryptonians for the future.
THEY were a 'bottled city', after all.

So, that Laurel is older and won't be a part of the Legion until later, about now, I guess.
sigh.
I'm glad they, TPTB decided to include her in the Legion sometime soon, I hope.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623033 05/14/10 06:45 AM
Active
Active
for all you guys complaining would u rather dc not have a legion related story at all??? things can be explained with time and with Annuals. And Paul is writing the legion again...he has listened to fans in the past and we have 2 legion books...perhaps things can be explained visually with the Adventure book since it takes place in the past and we can enjoy new stories in the new legion book without having them address it.

As for the superboy/valor stories and Valor. Perhaps just perhaps...they took place on Earth247's past and not on New Earth's since it has a totally different history altogether. Originally Earth 247 was the definete earth...till Infinite Crisis happend and Superboy Primes retcon punching...so due to his reality alerting punches maybe he punched Post Zero Hour's History to Earth 247.

Bring back the super-cousins
#623034 05/14/10 06:48 AM
Active
Active
And here's a thought that i didnt see addressed in this Thread...I think we're gonna have an Andromeda/Laurel Gand Person in the legion who's a decendant of the Daxamite Girl that Lar sent back home or maybe she'll be the new Laurel Gand...now wouldnt that be sweet...having 2 sets of Super Cousins in the Legion. Supergirl and Superboy, Mon-EL and Andromeda.

As for Kryptonians in the future they maybe some. Remember Rokyn...it existed in a legion story before (long b4) Kandor was enlarged. And since we're in a near approximate Pre-Crisis legion that it still exists as well with survivors of this current war with earth.

#623035 05/14/10 09:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I got super-excited when I saw that blonde Daxamite get rescued by Mon-el. I was like 'OMG! They're bringing back Laurel/Andromeda!' Then she just turned out to be some nobody Daxamite who flew back to her planet. Tres disappointment.

This story was neither good or bad to me. It was straight down the line average. Very glad it's over.

I'm ready to start the next era of the Legion of Super-Heroes on a fresh foot now.

We're getting a new #1 and a new writer on Adventure. I plan on forgetting all the mess that Robinson and co have created with this team and approaching Paul's era with a sense of excitment and wonder.

Join me.

#623036 05/14/10 11:14 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Bringing back Laurel would be a terrible idea. She was there as a replacement for Supergirl. At this point, and until the Superman editors change their mind, we have Supergirl for real.

#623037 05/14/10 11:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ But I don't think (or want) the current Supergirl will ever have much to do with the current Legion. And I like seeing a blonde, female power-house with the team. So bringing in new character named Laurel Gand to fill that spot is a good idea IMO.

Though now that I think about it, Night Girl has kinda taken the super-strong femme spot on the team. No reason there can't be another one though since there are so many strong guys. (Not that I want too many super-strong characters on this team. Super-Strength = just behind super-speed on my list of most boring powers to read about.)

#623038 05/14/10 11:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Laurel is an excellent character.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#623039 05/15/10 12:57 AM
Active
Active
now why would having Laurel back be a disappointment...i think it would be a kick having Kara and Laurel Gand and Laurel Kent interact with each other especial Laurel G and Kara...having them comment on how much they look alike yet different would be nice. And this frees Laurel to have a romance with someone other than Brainiac 5.

And Blacula, who says that that she's not Laurel Gand? We didn't get a name...and I'm getting the Human Corps book she appeared in to see if she has a name there. It could be 'our' Laurel in this new Post Infinite Crisis time line. Remember all of Bel Gand's descendants always looked to the stars...so she's obviously a relative of Mon's. The question is how close a relative...maybe a cousin?

Just read the issue in question...nope she doesn't have a name...I say she's Laurel Gand smile And also Mon's ship is Green...just like Kara's was originally Pre-Crisis...and we know Mon was in suspended Animation awhile before he arrived on Earth...so maybe...just maybe if it's Laurel she may crash down on Earth in the future. I mean i doubt that giving her no name and having her be blonde and saying Mon was her inspiration is a random.

*for those who don't know who Bel Gand was...she was one of the Daxamamite astronauts who came to Earth exploring and got pregnant with a human's child. All descendants of that child always looked to the stars as explorers while other daxamites became more insular.

#623040 05/15/10 11:37 PM
Active
Active
more on Lar's relatives...

in Superman 674 Mon mentions a little sister who should be an adult by this point in time and that his parents were shaky in health...could the blonde be the little sister? and could she then have descendants one of whom might be Laurel Gand (as well as Eltro)

#623041 05/16/10 12:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, I read the girl from this issue to be the sister mentioned in Superman #674. That was part of my frustration. though. The Legion history is filled with dangling plot threads and hints that never pan out. The introduction of Laurel as the sister of Mon El is a story that I would love to read. But Robinson's tenure with Mon El has apparently ended. The story meandered forever and little was resolved. Since the Approximate Legion has been introduced, there has been a lot of set up and next to no delivery.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#623042 05/16/10 04:11 AM
Active
Active
that's why its good we have paul writing now...he does listen to us.

#623043 05/16/10 07:00 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
. . . And as far a changes to humanoid form and biology, the "meta-gene" explanation is really just ad hoc hand-waving to cover up the same problem.
The meta-gene stuff comes much later in the DCU than the original colonies stories from Adventure and the Legion's past.
So the original stories were very lame.

Seeding just makes much more sense, whether you're seeding meta-genetically experiments by the Dominators or bottled cities.

I suspect that the abundance of humanoid forms stems from a much earlier 'seeding' of the genetic plasma type shown in Star Trek the NG.

What doesn't work for me is Lar doing the seeding mostly by himself.
Even with a ship with some sort of hyper drive, that wouldn't really be possible in just a few hours, or days, or weeks or months.

That part is silly.
I think, anyway.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623044 05/16/10 07:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I didn't see where it said she had to go back to Daxam.

And I love Laurel.
I certainly hope she shows up in the Legion's future!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623045 05/16/10 02:59 PM
Active
Active
she didnt have to go back to daxam she just needed to get off earth before she got lead poisioned.

#623046 05/19/10 07:15 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I finally got around to reading #11. Here is my thoughts: this storyline hasn't been all that great at times, but that final page of #11 was pretty moving IMO. I thought it was a fitting and nice 'not the end' for Mon-El, playing up one of the great aspects of the Superman/Legion mythos.

Also, I love the inclusion of who I *think* is Laurel Gand. I would love, love, love if somehow she became a part of LSH continuity with Supergirl.

#623047 05/19/10 07:20 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I will add, however, that I hate how they screwed up the whole Earth seeding other worlds notion. But I hated that months ago and so have stopped paying attention to that part.

#623048 05/21/10 01:17 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I used to be against loading up the Legion with "Kryptonian powered" members, but I would like to see Laurel Gand join the group as Andromeda, without the xenophobia baggage. I think Paul Levitz can effectively manage a huge cast of Legionnaires, even characters with redundant powers.

The Legion currently has two telepaths, two shape shifters, and two lightning wielders in its club, so why not more super people?

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#623049 05/21/10 02:47 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
she didnt have to go back to daxam she just needed to get off earth before she got lead poisioned.
I would think this character might show up in an issue of R.E.B.E.L.S before to long,she seems like a natural fit.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#623050 05/21/10 03:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I will add, however, that I hate how they screwed up the whole Earth seeding other worlds notion.
And now, in Legion #1, Dr. Aven refers to Earth as 'the mother world.'

If the Titanian telepaths never came from Earth as colonists, but were aliens decanted from a Brainiac bottle-city, why would they refer to Earth as the 'mother world?' It's just some planet, to them, located closer than most.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#623051 05/23/10 11:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Perhaps, since we never actually saw the bottled city dwellers, they're not humanoid at all.

Maybe, the Saturnians allowed human colonists, a few hundred years later, to add a small population to Titan.

The bottled city Saturnites may have created a symbiotic relationship with the colonists, fully activating and increasing their psychic abiities.

If not through possession, through their very presense.
They may be part of the Titan colonists' training and belief system.
Aven certainly looked like a monk of some kind, unlike his reboot self.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,024
Posts1,045,692
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP