Roll Call
3 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand), 43 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:44 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/14/24 01:30 PM
Errors on Main Forum Page
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:24 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:21 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion Lost #1 (Preview and Spoilers)
#628553 09/15/11 09:52 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
say.....I am not familiar with Fabian's writing style and his work at Marvel....have he ever brought anyone back alive after killing the character?
The only one I can think of right now was Atlas, in his Thunderbolts run, but Atlas had a 'get out of death free' card, in that the other ionic-energy powered hero (Wonder Man) had been killed once or twice before and turned up alive again when his energy reformed.

In other works, like the late, lamented Psi-Force (my second favorite New Universe title, after D.P.7), dead seemed to mean dead.

Sam Guthrie 'External' probably doesn't count (he was stabbed and believed dead for, like, a second and the whole External thing was retconned away with Extreme! predjudice anyway...).

It almost seems like all of the DCnU writers got a mandate to make it look like they were killing someone in the first issue. Static, Mr. Terrific, Batwing, Legion Lost, etc.

Awkward coincidence if it wasn't a mandate, for so many writers to accidentally crowd around the same well at the same time...

'Stay tuned for November, when everyone in the DCnU discovers a shocking traitor in their midst, totally by coincidence...' smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#628554 09/15/11 11:55 AM
in hiding
in hiding

Awkward coincidence if it wasn't a mandate, for so many writers to accidentally crowd around the same well at the same time...

My vote is for lazy writing.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
#628555 09/16/11 12:40 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Umm, <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> How much, weight wise, would one need to be able to sniff/whatever Dawny does, atoms in the air from specific individuals?
A cut off and vaporized claw or an ear?

Yera must have taken a Gim pill for stupidity wanting to hold on to someone not only about to explode but one who's being teleported into space.
shake </span></span>

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#628556 09/16/11 11:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
random thoughts:
- I liked the urgency that was established right away and built up to the horrific ending with the (apparent) death of two legionnaires.
- I did NOT like how little we knew of the antagonist and his motives. (I know there was that stuff on the internet, but without it the story makes almost no sense)
- Speaking of jumping right into the action, did the opening scene of the Time Bubble crash remind anyone else of a tv show .... it was called .. oh, yeah - LOST wink
- I liked how Fabian handled team dynamics and characterization in "Thunderbolts" and I also like what he did here so far.
- Seriously, *what the hell* is WILDFIRE doing just lifting his faceplate up and having a face? I thought the "containment" suit was needed to "contain" him. I'm sure most people don't care, but this is the "Wonder Woman's pants" issue for me personally...
- LOVE the art! smile

#628557 09/17/11 12:37 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
So I just got it today, and there was some interesting stuff.

Tyroc being in such a take charge role is totally cool. Given the Legionnaires present, Wildfire would be the natural in that role, or, perhaps, based on seniority, Timber Wolf, but putting Tyroc there is just cool.

Not loving the *idea* of Tellus with legs and being a big humanoid, but it doesn't look bad on him. Since that's the route they are going with him anyway, I wouldn't mind reading that it's either A) natural to Hyrkraians to rapidly self-evolve to new situations or B) something Tellus has been doing (taking injections of 'Pro-Legs' or something) to accomodate to his current situation, and will 'undo' if he ever returns to his homeworld.

On pages 19-20, I think, I kinda love Dawny's features. She's been generally depicted as mostly caucasian in the past, but she has a hint of a Mayan/Indian look that's welcome.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#628558 09/17/11 04:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Dawnstar looks great with those features, and the bangs. So she's not preggers, it's our stinky atmosphere. Or something worse. I thought the scene where she flies up and says "We are too late" was amazing: is that how she really sees things all the time, or when she's using her tracking power? Does she read energy fields?

If Yera's just a blob of protoplasm, maybe she doesn't have internal organs per se and can be cut in half with no problem. She certainly seems to be almost liquid when they crash land - and a nice touch that Tellus helps her reform until she regains control.

Wildfire opening his helmet and not blasting out energy - either he's gained some kind of control, or there's a transparent shield between his opaque mask and the energy. But to what purpose?

Tyroc, really the best revamped character of the Legion. He looks better, his powers are more interesting, he's rational and calm, a contrast to Timber Wolf and Wildfire.

Originally posted by Candlelight:
Umm, <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> How much, weight wise, would one need to be able to sniff/whatever Dawny does, atoms in the air from specific individuals?
A cut off and vaporized claw or an ear?
</span></span>
I'd like to think that's the case and the loss is not as it appears.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#628559 09/17/11 06:32 AM
jab Offline
Honorary
Honorary
wow. im so disappointed. i cant even imagine trying to read that as someone that didnt know the legion. but man 'shock value' (ugh) deaths. poor.

#628560 09/17/11 01:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I just want to say that I thought Dawnstar looked great...retaining the look we've always seen but more futuristic. Also, I like the earrings.

#628561 09/17/11 06:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The one big advantage of being in the 21st century now of course is how the Legion can run into regular DC heroes. Who do you all want this team to encounter?

- Superman or Supergirl are the natural ones. Especially to see where the LSH fits into their mythos now.
- Aside from the fact that I'm a huge fan, I've always wanted to see a LSH/ Green Lantern team-up. (the recent Levitz storyline doesn't count, in my mind)
- JLA of course. JLI might be more fun though.

#628562 09/17/11 10:18 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Re: Yera

For a Durlan imposter she sure got far! On the topic of her seeming demise I recall during TMK that Reep was also gravely injured at one point but it turned out that he had moved is organs around to survive (or something like that IIRC...)

Igee The Mighty!
#628563 09/17/11 11:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I rmember a story like that, too, I'm just not sure of the boot or timeperiod.

I agree with FC, too, Yera's shape WAS awfully fluid in the beginning.
I remember Odo, on 'Deep Space 9, who was a shape-shifter, was very fluid (protoplasmic) when not in some shape.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#628564 09/18/11 01:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I am 100% sure Gates and Yera will be back, along with this Alastor person.

Okay... 99% sure.

Art: great! Story: Higgeldy-Piggeldy.

I enjoyed how everyone was portrayed. I've never liked Yera more, it was nice to see her concerned about Dawny.

Of course I'll be im for the long haul, but I sure do miss the days of the team having something amusing happen sometimes.

At least Comet Queen will be in LSH to offer some of that, I suppose.

I hereby demand the Infectious Lass vomiting graemlin be permanently changed into a Dawnstar vomiting graemlin!!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#628565 09/18/11 03:25 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I am genuinely surprised that anybody really believes Gates and Yera are dead. This has a dramatic re-entry into the book a couple of issues down the track written all over it.

Things I liked:
- the characterisations. I think I am really going to enjoy seeing this team interact, and am enjoying the dynamics we have seen so far.
- the art. LUSH! Dawnstar looked amazing, that scene where she's using her power was visually stunning!
- the scene specifically with Brin and Dawny when they were looking for Gates and Yera...even though I have no doubt at all the death is a fake-out, that scene had great emotional resonance. Geoff Johns take note, this is how you portray a horrible death in comics without turning it into a gorefest.

Things I didn't like:
- very little! I would have liked to be led into the story with a little more info, I think there really is an assumption that everyone is going to have been chasing down all the online pre-release stuff which hurts it....on the other hand, it did make me actually feel that the Legion are overwhelmed and lost, which was the intention I guess.
- I did feel that it's a LITTLE bit too convenient that *all* of their future tech suddenly gives out simultaneously, except Wildfire's containment suit and Tellus's environmental gear. If there was some kind of weird EMP that accompanied the time bubble crashing or similar then yeah, but as it is it kind of seems like Fabian wants to quickly remove the advantage of their tech without really working it into the story too much.
- also, not really in love with Alastor yet, I am hoping he will get some more development when he inevitably returns though. It was nice to see that the Legion only treated him like a bad guy when he was actually being a bad guy...aside from that they seemed to respect that he is a bit hurt and lost and feel sorry for him. We haven't seen much in the way of Legionnaires just being nice people since pretty much forever. smile

Other notes:
While I much prefer Timber Wolf to be super-agile and a physical powerhouse rather than Wolverine-lite, I am going to be interested to see the dynamic that establishes between he and Dawny....they're both Academy recruits, they're both pretty much loners, and now they both have a very similar powerset which affects their perceptions of the world around them. Aside from one time in the Baxter days, I can't think of anytime these two have even interacted, but I can actually see a really decent friendship or more for Brin and Dawny coming out of this series.

Wildfire's containment suit - he's gone through about 1000 of them by now, so maybe Brainy has finally come up with one that can maintain a magnetic field while the majority of it is intact so he doesn't go KABOOM every time someone tears it slightly. I also actually like that he has facial features - I really liked back in the day when Quislet taught him to maintain corporeality without his suit, and I don't see why Drake wouldn't have been practicing along those lines since then...

#628566 09/18/11 06:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Igee The Mighty:
Re: Yera

For a Durlan imposter she sure got far! On the topic of her seeming demise I recall during TMK that Reep was also gravely injured at one point but it turned out that he had moved is organs around to survive (or something like that IIRC...)
That was in 5YL - the Roxxas attack. Cham was shot in the head by Roxxas and certainly looked dead in Issue #10. He was critically injured but Brainy revealed he had advised Cham to rearrange his vital organs as a precaution (issue #11) and by the next issue, he's all okay. So Durlans have more than a few tricks up their purple sleeves.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#628567 09/18/11 06:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by razsolo:
- also, not really in love with Alastor yet, I am hoping he will get some more development when he inevitably returns though. It was nice to see that the Legion only treated him like a bad guy when he was actually being a bad guy...aside from that they seemed to respect that he is a bit hurt and lost and feel sorry for him. We haven't seen much in the way of Legionnaires just being nice people since pretty much forever. smile
That's a good point, raz. I hadn't picked up on that, but it bodes well for good characterization.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#628568 09/18/11 06:39 AM
jab Offline
Honorary
Honorary
see i thought the deaths of gates and yera (real or not) were kind of cheap. gates was barely in the issue, for a newcomer to the book its a total who cares moment. for legion fans you feel it cause you know them. for someone else its just weeding away two characters for an 'anything can happen' button. anyway, im going to go back to airbrushing a gates tribute onto my car. first one ive ever seen that will go backwards in years. Gates 30xx - 2011 rest in pieces of raining organic matter.

#628569 09/18/11 07:15 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Originally posted by razsolo:
[b]- also, not really in love with Alastor yet, I am hoping he will get some more development when he inevitably returns though. It was nice to see that the Legion only treated him like a bad guy when he was actually being a bad guy...aside from that they seemed to respect that he is a bit hurt and lost and feel sorry for him. We haven't seen much in the way of Legionnaires just being nice people since pretty much forever. smile
That's a good point, raz. I hadn't picked up on that, but it bodes well for good characterization.[/b]
I second this nice insight raz. It totally passed me by at first but you're right that it just 'felt' right.

#628570 09/19/11 06:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Very few reviews for LLOST # 1 so far... telling?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#628571 09/19/11 08:45 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Issue # 1 gets a thumbs-up.

I'm interested in reading more of this story, and I liked the art.

About the only thing I really disliked was Timber Wolf's portrayal as a Wolverine clone, in both powers and personality.

(That's assuming that Gates and Yera will be back fairly soon. If either or both of them is gone for an extended period, that would be something I would dislike even more!)

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#628572 09/19/11 08:49 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Oops, almost forgot:

Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:

About the only thing I really disliked was Timber Wolf's portrayal as a Wolverine clone, in both powers and personality.
I realize that FN isn't the one who started this, but he's now involved in perpetuating it, so he gets his share of the blame!

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#628573 09/20/11 02:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
As I've said other places before, I like Brin 'wolfed' up.
NOT like Wolverine, though.
Wolverines are VERY different types of animals from wolves, even though their name means little wolf.

Wolves don't go in to rages, they're not loners, they don't have claws or dig dens and they don't act 'crazy'.

They ARE sharply intellectual and calculating, ruthlessly exacting and practical, deeply loyal and absolute team players.
They use their noses, eyes and ears.

But, they are not like monkeys or apes and they don't run off on their own.

Fabian needs to pick one set of skills and go with that, imo.
I like the wolf set and I like the chemistry possible between Brin and Dawnstar. The two of them should have been together since forever.
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#628574 09/20/11 05:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by jab:
Gates 30xx - 2011 rest in pieces of raining organic matter.
rotflmao

#628575 09/20/11 07:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My other problem, since when are Dawny's tracking skills a result of super-heightened senses? I don't remember that being the case, and it doesn't explain why she tracks better across long distances in space, vs. on world, or why she's never used this kind of useful ability in the past.

#628576 09/20/11 09:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A copy/paste of What PUBLISHER'S WEEKLY had to say (and it ain't very good, this was the first of the week 2 comics to get a bad review from them):

Legion Lost by Fabian Nicieza and Pete Woods.

Everyone has their limits. This book is where I first encountered mine. This is a horrible comic book, a totally impenetrable fight scene that is aimed solely at people who already like the Legion of Superheroes. The LSH is apparently a bunch of superhero teens from the future who here are trapped in the present. Or something. There is no beginning, middle or end to this book -- just a string of panels that pretend to tell a narrative. The book opens in the middle of a fight, with no set-up for new readers of who or what is happening. There is some exposition, but it’s ghastly dialogue such as “Luckily, between Chameleon Girl’s shapeshifting, Tellus’s telekineses and my harmonic manipulation--most of us can fly on our own.” You don’t say! Just the kind of thing someone would say in the middle of fighting for their life. This book would have been improved 300% by a simple “Who’s Who” page in the beginning. But then, the Legion has always been its own thing. If there is one bright spot it’s Pete Wood’s art, which leans ever so slightly to the cartoony and sets up the fight very clearly. This book seems to be aimed at hardcore Legion fans...everyone else is advised to stay well away. - HM

#628577 09/20/11 12:19 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Unfortunately, I would agree with most of that article. Except the art. That was dreadful. Gates and Tellus were nearly unrecognizable and Durlans have never turned into 'puddles' or 'melted' accidently before. The artist (or writer) appearently couldn't be bothered to do even the most basic of research into the characters they are portraying. Bah. And as for being aimed at the hardcore fans of the Legion.... if that is the case, then it has failed miserablely for me. I HATED the issue, and I have stuck with them through everything including the threeboot up until now. Now, I am done.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,277
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden