Roll Call
0 members (), 15 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/01/24 05:05 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Supergirl 52 - am i the only one who got it?
#629412 04/23/10 11:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Jeepers! I posted the same thing 5 times!!
Would someone be so kind as to delete the extras??
I kind of thought you were giving us a visual on the Kara confusion!
smile

Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Candle:
[b]They brought back the original Barry/Flash.
They can just bring back the original Kara/Supergirl!
isn't that exactly what they did?[/b]
No.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#629413 04/23/10 12:10 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Candle:
No.
why not?

#629414 04/23/10 12:40 PM
Active
Active
kidflash2fan is right. they should have made the Legion's Supergirl from another Earth. That way she could still have died in Crisis, etc. less confusing.
but to have 25 year old Brainiac 5 lusting after 16 year old Supergirl is inappropriate to say the least. AND it does lock her in to an early demise. The whole reason Brainy is in the past is to stop Brainiac from killing Superman because it's not how it was supposed to happen.
couldn't we just have tearful asides where Brainy thinks, "She's so much like MY Kara. i miss her so much...choke..." it would be great.

Gorilla Nebula
#629415 04/23/10 12:46 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I have to admit that a future story in which Brainy has to insure that Kara dies in order to preserve history actually sounds vaguely interesting.

But, as I've said all along, it would've made more sense just to make this entire Legion from another Earth with full-blown Silver Age continuity, rather than trying to shoehorn it into whatever the continuity of the post-post-post-Crisis DCU.

#629416 04/23/10 01:19 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
brainy lusting ? i didnt see any lust.

and it doesn't really lock her into an early demise. its the perception of early demise.

Bring back the super-cousins
#629417 04/23/10 01:22 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
[b] don't want to read any more of super girl,i dont like her. she has done nothing but be annoying/ whoreish dressed and ever and i mean every time i flipped threw a book to give her a new shot it let me down.
at first i agreed with wou. loeb wanted to refresh the character by making her sort of a spoiler brat. once again, it showed how aged people just don't get teenagers, and when they have to describe them it always happen with a sort of contempt (see waid's threeboot, too).

anyway, sas superboy-supergirl well said, from "new krypton" on DC diegetically fixed the character, and now (imho) she's just as lovely as the pre-crisis version.

Originally posted by Candle:
They brought back the original Barry/Flash.
They can just bring back the original Kara/Supergirl!
isn't that exactly what they did? [/b]
i know the plan was to make her 'edgy' not the star stuck teen of the past. and i was okay with that. they have done wonderful jobs doing that with the sidekicks of today. teens who while they love and respect the adults in there lives are also kids who don't always see eye to eye with them. some times they are right some times they are wrong.

what they did was not something i could get behind. and this is coming from a person-who hands down will always pick the sidekick over hero.

and after years- years of people going 'she sucks and dress like a whore.' how did they fix it?

look i can take a lot of stupid excuses in comic book world. i can belive that a man can fly, i can belive a gold rock can take that power away i can belive just cause your green and have yellow eyes your super smart. or that your blue, you can kick some ass. hell i can belive despite how evil a person is and how much pain they will make others feel a superhero wont kill even though it will simpler, smarter, and over all safer way to go about things

HOWEVER

I REFUSE TO EXCEPT THAT SUPER GIRL HAD SUPER PMS AND THAT IS WHY SHE WAS TOTALLY UNLIKEABLE

that is one of the top the reason girls hate comics. because that so beyond the my level of belief its just mega-stupid

she is supposed to be a young girl Jail bait age. and the way she is 99% of the time drawn with her skirt just barely covering her crotch (i know she has shorts on underneath them now still no) and the sirt that barely covers her chest. no that is wrong.

dont get me wrong i dont mind when a girl has a sexy costume i love the shadow lass costume where she has a glorified bathing suit on, or that really sexy princess projecta with the thigh highs and it shows off her stomach. but thouse costumes were never drawn more skimpy then they were.

its to little to late with me. she needs to have a crowning moment of awesome, hand delivered to me by DAVID BOWIE for me to even think of giving her another chance.

what they are doing is taking a character not to many people like and trying to redeemed her by hooking her with a legion character that people do like. because they think they can tweak it to make it work and i find that insulting to the every idea of that couple.

i would rather have that romance the way it ended. to me it was biter sweet. with the potential for so much but cut short do to just a stupid moment in life, remember she had left seemingly for good shortly before she died. they didn't end cause she died, they ended cause she had a bad day. what was tragic about her death was Kara had done this over and over again to Brainy but they was always the hope some day she come back and maybe this would be the one time he could convince her to stay with him. when she die. you knew from that point one they were done.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#629418 04/24/10 12:55 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I think if you're going to be upset that the original Kara is being replaced with this Kara you could make the same argument about Superboy/Superman. The modern history of Superman is closer to the original history than it's been before, but it's still not the same, and replacing Superboy/Superman with the modern one is still a change. Heck, Superboy even died, just like Kara.

In fact, even the Legion has been "replaced". They're not the same people as in the original history. There's as close as we can reasonably expect DC to get, but they're still not really the same; they haven't experienced all of the same events.

Saying that the pre-Crisis Kara existed in this history separately from this one, was a member, and died is one of those things that appeals to old time fans, but to anyone new picking up the book it would lead to total confusion. We don't want Supergirl to become Hawkman here, and she's already half the way there.

I think the *best* solution would be to say that there's only one Kara, this one, that she did die, but that it may be possible to change history and fix the death.

#629419 04/24/10 01:26 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
This whole thing is making my head hurt. I don't think I can pay 3.95 for the privilege of my head hurting. I have enough sources for headaches that don't cost anything.

And dear [insert deity of your choice here], I really am effing tired of Super-Brittney costumes. Blecch. No matter who draws them, I still hate them.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#629420 04/24/10 01:42 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
I think if you're going to be upset that the original Kara is being replaced with this Kara you could make the same argument about Superboy/Superman. The modern history of Superman is closer to the original history than it's been before, but it's still not the same, and replacing Superboy/Superman with the modern one is still a change. Heck, Superboy even died, just like Kara.

This is what some of us have been saying all along about this version.

Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:

In fact, even the Legion has been "replaced". They're not the same people as in the original history. There's as close as we can reasonably expect DC to get, but they're still not really the same; they haven't experienced all of the same events.

Yep. Only I'd disagree this is "as close as we could reasonably expect." They reintroduced a multiverse. Why not stick the classic Legion on a world of its own, and there'd be no reason to worry about the problem of integrating it with the rest of the changes in the DCU?

#629421 04/24/10 02:02 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Why not stick the classic Legion on a world of its own, and there'd be no reason to worry about the problem of integrating it with the rest of the changes in the DCU?
Because first of all, it's confusing to readers who haven't been around for 25 years, and second of all, if they do that, they can't cross them over with any Super-titles without even more confusion.

Seriously, imagine being a new reader coming into all of this. All of a sudden you discover that in the Legion's comic, Supergirl is dead. Huh? And Superboy is dead too? And this Mon-El guy came from the 21st century, except it's a different 21st century than Superman, and what's this about the Green Lanterns? And the Flash's future?

#629422 04/24/10 02:11 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I don't have to imagine it. I was in that situation. When I was seven years old I had absolutely no problem understanding the fact that Earth-2 Batman was dead and Earth-2 Green Lantern's power didn't work against wood while Earth-1 Green Lantern's power didn't work against yellow.

It's not that hard to figure out!

#629423 04/24/10 02:12 PM
K
Active
Active
K
And I'll add: I can understand thinking that the Legion, Superman, everyone isn't the same as the characters you remember. But what I was really responding to was the idea that there's something specifically wrong with Supergirl and that the LSH and Superman are acceptable but this new Supergirl is a travesty. I can't buy that at all. Sure, Supergirl was written as obnoxious for a while, but that's just an example of how characters drastically change when handled by different writers. Plenty of characters have had out-of-character eras. It doesn't mean she's not Kara, it just means she had a poorly written story arc.

#629424 04/24/10 02:18 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I didn't have trouble understanding Earth-2 back then either. But back then, crossovers were strictly limited, making things a lot less confusing.

#629425 04/24/10 03:14 PM
Active
Active
you know what i dont by that its to confusing for new readers. you know why? I'm 24, i didn't start reading the legion until i was 18/19 years old my first legion was the three boot. i knew nothing of the legion's history i thought the legion was a new idea.

that has not stopped me from understanding and getting into the old stuff. years ago i might have seen that as an excuse because there was no way to get back information if you missed comics, but what kid today dosen't know how to use the web to find helpful sites like this?

and for the most part kids are not reading the legion, they blew there shot at that when the cartoon was canceled. books like "who's who in the legion. or the secret files of the legion." are meant for the new people give you the background to get you caught up. trying to change every thing is only going to get the current fans to stop reading and not bring in any one to replace them

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#629426 04/26/10 11:43 AM
K
Active
Active
K
I must admit I have mixed feelings over the whole confusion argument. I'm well aware that one of the excuses for Crisis on Infinite Earths was "confusion", yet not only was Earth-2 not hard to understand, Crisis caused a great deal of confusion.

But the fact that Crisis could cause confusion at all shows that the problem's real. Poster children for this include Hawkman and Wonder Girl, Wolverine or Phoenix over at Marvel Comics, and at times the Legion too. When you keep rewriting history and make something's connections to the rest of the universe not match what was actually in the comics--fans have trouble figuring it out.

Having the Legion be in its own separate continuity would reduce some kinds of confusion--no worries about whether the Supergirl book's inconsistent with Supergirl's Legion appearances. On the other hand, it's going to mean that there will be two versions of everything where the Legion is connected to other DCU characters. This includes at least Superman, Supergirl, Mon-El, the Flash mythos including the Tornado Twins, the Green Lantern mythos, and a whole bunch of less prominent references to a whole bunch of things. Not only will this increase confusion, it would mean there's no point to even having the Legion connected to them in the first place. Why even have Flash references if it no longer has anything to do with the Flash books? Who would want to read those, except a few long-time fans?

#629427 04/26/10 12:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Tornado Twins are still involved om the Legions history, and XS is a current member of the team...so the connection to the Flash family is still very strong.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#629428 04/26/10 02:00 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Dev Em:
The Tornado Twins are still involved om the Legions history, and XS is a current member of the team...so the connection to the Flash family is still very strong.
I was replying mostly to Eryk, who wanted the Legion in its own separate world without integrating it into the DCU at all. If we did that, then the LSH would no longer have anything to do with the Flash books and any Flash connections would just be pseudo-connections that really aren't.

#629429 04/26/10 02:54 PM
Active
Active
this could just be me but i would love to see less crossovers involving the legion because in the olden days there was no point to them, every thing that happens now in comics is a the very distant past to them. they stayed in there time did there thing and avoided messing with the past. the only connection to most the heroes of today made references to things that make us go..hahaha look at the green arrows great grand kid he drives a bus. the point of references like that are simple, to show the reader its connected to the DCU, but also to show that just beacuse they are related to someone famous way down the line doesn't mean every one in the family for a thousand years went out and became a super hero. that maybe bruce waynes grandkids were able to live a happy normal life, something bruce never got. while others like the tornado twins still fight for truth justice and the American way. isn't that what made kingdom come cool- the idea of the kids of the superheroes not the superheroes themselves?

but if you still need the crossovers, the legion has the best excuse ever for things not matching up the way they thought...every thing happening now took place a thousand years ago. facts got changed, things were left out of history books. a great storm destroyed half of the knowledge on earth...any of that stuff works

as for when they show up in normal flash or batman or any other book a caption box can explain who they are 'wildfire-legionnaire from the 31 century' you don't always need to know ever detail about a character. batman can be like 'who are you?' and wildfire can respond ' a friend of superman's.'

you dont need to go as far as having a separate team. some one needs to just sit down and work out the time line with out redoing every thing we know a simple cut off point thats not as vauge as 'the five year gap didn't happen.' if kara didn't die the way she did in the infinite crisis the cut off date for what never happened was sooner then that. all we need is a real cut off date so we can discard that knowledge of events that happened after that, we then as a group can move on and except the changes,as the time trapper screwing around the legion

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#629430 04/27/10 06:29 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I have to highly recommend the Sterling Gates issues to all you who have been disapointed by Supergirl's "return"; they have 100% redeemed the character in my mind. All teens are drawn sexy in this age and that isn't changing. But her characterization and personality is really quite great to read.

She's nothing like she was a few years ago when they were writing her like Paris Hilton. She's actually a lot like the Silver Age Kara.

I also agree that this Supergirl "is" the Silver Age Supergirl in the same way this Superman "is" the Superman of the Silver Age. Same thing. He's as much the same in whatever way you want him to be. He certainly doesn't act at all similar.

#629431 04/27/10 10:19 PM
Active
Active
i thought i was clear on this , it has to be the most Epic story every told using super girl and must be hand delivered to me by David Bowie..aka GOD.

i dont mind sexy, i like when girls are drawn in high heals and a glorified bathing suite. also understand why girls are drawn like that, in fact i think the real reason threeboot failed was was every girl member had way to much clothing for a legionnaire. its okay to show off skin. WHAT I DON'T like is when said skimpy look, is drawn to be skimpier/sluttier just because some people want to get there rocks off.

i agree with you whole heartily i dont think of superman in the comics the way i think of the silver age man...in fact i sort of see everything from the 90's forward as another version of superman, and since they just kinda rebooted him with out rebooting him (to my knowlage). i just assume we have a new superman..

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#629432 04/30/10 03:51 PM
Leader
Leader
I'll agree with EDE and others. The post-Crisis alamgamated DCU was/is WAY more confusing that the old multiverse ever was. Worst of all, starting in the late 1980s and continuing to this day, we tend to get stories explaining what isnow supposed to have happned in previous stories, instead of any actual NEW stories.

Chrimminey, I'd rather die than read another re-three-retro-do-over-boot of Hawkman.

EASY Fix. Mutliverse. All realities exisit. Now pick a world and tell a story!!!

#629433 04/30/10 04:06 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Multiverses also have the advantage of being able to tell multiple *styles* of story with, essentially, the same character, as there are more than one Superman, Batman, etc. Instead of having to accept that *the* Batman is the same character as Morrison's 'Batgod,' Morrison could have been handed an 'Ultimate DC' style universe in which to create Batman stories that cater to his own sensibilities, without any risk of messing up the already established Batman of the core universe.

Continuity ceases to be a boondoggle, as well. I would rather read the adventures of the Waid / Kitson Legion and just accept that this is an Elseworlds / What If / Tangent team than try to figure out how the hell the classic Wildfire is related to the Red Tornado, or whether or not Myg is now 'always has been' an older white man, instead of a younger asian or what happened to all those Green Lanterns that used to exist in the 30th century.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,049
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden