Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: So it looks like they're bringing back Legion Classic..
#6719 08/03/08 11:26 PM
Active
Active
My take:

1) Action Legion is going to officially be the "real" deal. I can't see any other way at this point for 3 reasons: Johns says he wants to write the original Legion and have fun with the rest; he is the guy responsible, with Morrison, to shape the post-FC DCU - and he is the one tying COIE with FC in terms of "time anomaly"; bottom-line, Action is by far the most successful relaunch of the Legion brand since TMK.
2) All other versions of LSH will be considered time anomalies or from different Earths. My guess is that the 52 worlds concept will be scraped in favour of more freedom (and I would tie it with the Kamandi/fire/tryptique references on FC - too long to mention here). That's why Didio can say there is only one Legion and the other 2 (for me, 3 - TMK and V3 will forever be as much the real thing as all others, even though they are being ignored) are going to be sad.

I do have an idea of how I would make all these different Earths work, solve all these time anomalies, add real chronology to the books and prepare DCU for eternity, but Dan would have to hire me first. smile

#6720 08/04/08 12:40 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Ricardo:
My take:

1) Action Legion is going to officially be the "real" deal. I can't see any other way at this point for 3 reasons: Johns says he wants to write the original Legion and have fun with the rest; he is the guy responsible, with Morrison, to shape the post-FC DCU - and he is the one tying COIE with FC in terms of "time anomaly"; bottom-line, Action is by far the most successful relaunch of the Legion brand since TMK.
"Real" deal? Does that mean DC's giving what the fans want?

I see this as a goal to restore the Legion to former X-Menesque status. So far, they're on the right track with the crossovers and the hype, but in the all-important merchandising and external media, which benefited the X-Men enormously... all we've seen is a Johnny-come-lately animated series that came and went.

2) All other versions of LSH will be considered time anomalies or from different Earths. My guess is that the 52 worlds concept will be scraped in favour of more freedom (and I would tie it with the Kamandi/fire/tryptique references on FC - too long to mention here). That's why Didio can say there is only one Legion and the other 2 (for me, 3 - TMK and V3 will forever be as much the real thing as all others, even though they are being ignored) are going to be sad.
The Legion wouldn't have that much potential freedom for plotlines and story arcs if TMK actually remained. Though they make for quality storytelling, it says something when its co-writers were once contributors of Legion fanzines.

I do have an idea of how I would make all these different Earths work, solve all these time anomalies, add real chronology to the books and prepare DCU for eternity, but Dan would have to hire me first. smile
I've got a hunch that wedging Reboot and Threeboot into Legion continuity wasn't your idea, but time anomalies? If we can have mutual respect over the aforementioned, so should the issues that kept the Legion alive for the past decade-and-a-half (aka Waid's quick-relief marketing ploys). They brought back aspects of the Legion that were lost in translation, from perpetual youth to an unhealthy amount of douchebaggery.

Hence, if Legion is going to get Johns' famous Rebirth treatment, I'm happy for those fans who've been awaiting this for fifteen to 25 years, depending on the fanfare. But something from Ricardo's got me thinking... if the "mature reader book" might as well be the original, the "one for kids" would be "Ultimate Legion". faint Reimaginings of the Legion's younger years, anyone? Not just Reboot (and possibly Threeboot)... and remember, Jim Shooter just might retain his job by doing a reimagining of the Cockrum years. Or Levitz takes the helm.

Whichever case, "modern reimaginings" (which they were during time of creation) certainly sounds better than "time anomalies". cool

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.
#6721 08/04/08 03:09 AM
Active
Active

I do have an idea of how I would make all these different Earths work, solve all these time anomalies, add real chronology to the books and prepare DCU for eternity, but Dan would have to hire me first. smile [/QB]
All I know is that the multiverse was created to solve continuity issues...and since they got rid of it, they have had nothing but continuity issues. Because all that stuff wasn't meant to be put on one Earth.

Create enough Earths to where everything exists...even if it's not something currently in publication, at least it'll still exist....and some will be pacified by that for the time being.

#6722 08/04/08 03:15 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by PenaltyKillah:
The Legion wouldn't have that much potential freedom for plotlines and story arcs if TMK actually remained. Though they make for quality storytelling, it says something when its co-writers were once contributors of Legion fanzines.
Matter Eater Lad was great...best part of the 5YG for me, and near I can tell he was theirs. The rest of it was Giffen. I don't think we ever saw what they were capable of as writers to tell you the truth...my hunch is they would definitely write a Legion you would have to have a lot of inside knowledge of the Legion to understand though.

#6723 08/04/08 10:17 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Superboy:

All I know is that the multiverse was created to solve continuity issues...and since they got rid of it, they have had nothing but continuity issues. Because all that stuff wasn't meant to be put on one Earth.

Create enough Earths to where everything exists...even if it's not something currently in publication, at least it'll still exist....and some will be pacified by that for the time being. [/QB]
I think the unification in one single Earth was a tentative in simplifying DCU, which never got anywhere, much the opposite.
Also, I think the concept of multiple Earths and timelines are perfectly viable nowadays, where readers are older than at that time. And it eliminates most of the problems of continuity and gives enough freedom for writers to work upon.

And, in my opinion, time travel is as much a problem at DCU these days as chronology.

#6724 08/04/08 10:48 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by PenaltyKillah:
"Real" deal? Does that mean DC's giving what the fans want?

I see this as a goal to restore the Legion to former X-Menesque status. So far, they're on the right track with the crossovers and the hype, but in the all-important merchandising and external media, which benefited the X-Men enormously... all we've seen is a Johnny-come-lately animated series that came and went.
It's not going to be X-Menesque. It's going to be Johns' level of success, at most. I don't have the slightest illusion Legion will ever become the title it was in the 80s.

What is the problem with that? They are writers. Levitz took the book to the top of sales in the 80s by being a contributor to Legion fanzines... Good writers can write in canon, as Johns has proved by eliminating the hack job Ron Marz did with Green Lantern. Reboot gave us freedom... and a bunch of uninspiring generalist superhero pap.

I've got a hunch that wedging Reboot and Threeboot into Legion continuity wasn't your idea, but time anomalies? If we can have mutual respect over the aforementioned, so should the issues that kept the Legion alive for the past decade-and-a-half (aka Waid's quick-relief marketing ploys). They brought back aspects of the Legion that were lost in translation, from perpetual youth to an unhealthy amount of douchebaggery.
Perpetual youth is a bad idea in comics, no matter what you say, IMHO. I am fine by working off-chronology, but I like the idea to see Kingdom Come, JSA, Tiny Titans... Also, by changing TMK, Magic Wars, Reboot and 3boot into "time anomalies" or "parallel Earths", it solves the main problem - which is giving any sense to the return of the pre-Crisis team. And Legion premise was always for me perpetual evolution (heroes get old), never perpetual infantility (Reboot).
[/QUOTE]

Hence, if Legion is going to get Johns' famous Rebirth treatment, I'm happy for those fans who've been awaiting this for fifteen to 25 years, depending on the fanfare. But something from Ricardo's got me thinking... if the "mature reader book" might as well be the original, the "one for kids" would be "[b]Ultimate Legion". faint Reimaginings of the Legion's younger years, anyone? Not just Reboot (and possibly Threeboot)... and remember, Jim Shooter just might retain his job by doing a reimagining of the Cockrum years. Or Levitz takes the helm.

Whichever case, "modern reimaginings" (which they were during time of creation) certainly sounds better than "time anomalies". cool [/b]
Some people have mentioned that there is a possibility of incorporating Reboot and Threeboot as pre-Legion books (like Early Years), but for me it adds to even more confusion.

I don't see a problem in "time anomalies" as much as I don't see a problem in "parallel Earths". I do expect all Legions to be incorporated somehow, but not as the "real" timeline. My feeling is that Final Crisis will sort-of wipe everything to the status quo pre-Crisis for DC in general, with the Legion of Super-Heroes as the pinnacle of what went wrong (arguably, this was the book that suffered the most with the original Crisis).

And Penalty Killer, you don't think this Johns' LSH will be "mature reader book" at all. The mature book reader was my idea to bring back the TMK level of quality and profoundity/profanity. Hardly the kind of book Geoff does.

#6725 08/04/08 05:38 PM
Substitute
Substitute
For the "co-writers were contributors to fanzines" part, I meant the Bierbaums, not Levitz. Along with Keigh, the three did put a different spin into the Legion, deviating it from the momentum brought on a decade earlier (which was inevitable, abd I don't blame them but the ones above in DC), thus trading the potential for well, raw quality.

Final Crisis wiping everything to the status quo? Even a sort-of? Maybe for the company's respective franchises (Holy Trinity, GL, Flash, League), once again, though that wouldn't do much to restore DC to its former glory. But until Lo3W is released, it's yet to be seen or accurately predicted as to what shape or form the Legion would be restored back to.

And, yeah, thanks for the correction. I assumed that the "mature reader book for us oldies" would be a regular, non-kids-pandering Legion series to accommodate what the "oldies" generally wanted, and since not every oldie was for TMK, I took it that you just meant the seventies Legion and onward. But interpreting the "one for the kids" as an Ultimate-esque Legion should make a bit more sense, considering that was Marvel's primary intention for the Ultimate line.

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

#6726 08/04/08 05:59 PM
Deputy
Deputy
From Lying in the Gutters

More San Diego creator talk tells me that the Jim Shooter’s "Legion Of Super Heroes" title ends with issue #50.

It will be replaced with a new Tony Bedard LSH project, and the Levitz/Giffen Legion project will also see publication.

I'm also told that the junior book "The Legion Of Super Heroes In The 31st Century," is also coming to an end with issue 20.

The future seems an uncertain place.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17578

I hope Tony Bedard is a Pre-Crisis Legion fan,Because with Shooter gone,Thats the only Legion that will get my money from now on.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#6727 08/04/08 06:27 PM
Substitute
Substitute
No LSH book has ended before #200 in the past twenty years or so... and only one went beyond issue one hundred, with the help of the previous era's non-canonical run. Hmmm... Seems like Legion issue numbers are the best examples of perpetual youth.

Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
From Lying in the Gutters

More San Diego creator talk tells me that the Jim Shooter’s "Legion Of Super Heroes" title ends with issue #50.

It will be replaced with a new Tony Bedard LSH project, and the Levitz/Giffen Legion project will also see publication.

I'm also told that the junior book "The Legion Of Super Heroes In The 31st Century," is also coming to an end with issue 20.

The future seems an uncertain place.
Not that surprisingly though. The Bedard one is a bit interesting... is Threeboot going to limbo or what??? And does Johns still have a place in Legion mythos? Only one way to find out.

#6728 08/04/08 06:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So this possible merging or multi-verse Legion means that somewhere there's a Legion with

Powergirl, Andromeda, and Dream Girl?

Be still be heart.

That is my heart, right???

#6729 08/04/08 07:07 PM
Active
Active
Bedard? I think I will pass. This is DC making sure Legion going out with a fizzle. If the problem was sales, this is surely a shot in the head. Moreover, his fill ins were really boring, typical superhero pap, even worse than Waid's last issues.
Give it to Keith Giffen - at least a top writer would do something better saleswise (because as much as Bedard can be the very next Neil Gaiman, he won't sell more than Shooter). I bet the new project will be called "The New Search for Cosmic Boy". Yawn...

Hopefully, Levitz/Giffen project will save our souls.

#6730 08/04/08 07:13 PM
Active
Active

#6731 08/04/08 07:16 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Check this out,and I started a new post for this topic,as I think there will be a need for it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=217664

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,084
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star