Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 8 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:57 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:55 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 12:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 12:14 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 57 of 66 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 65 66
Re: Official LSH 3 Worlds Thread #5 out (FINALLY!! - spoilers)
#69285 07/23/09 08:00 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Another thing that I couldn't help but notice at the end...SBP telling his mother not to bring him tomato soup because he hates vegetables, reminds me of a series (2-3 at least) of commercial for Campbell's soup about 5-6 years ago featuring a grumpy, pouty, dark haired, freckle-faced brat (there's no other words to describe him) who resents his mother giving him vegetable/tomato soup, "I'm not a rabbit, mother! I don't like vegetables!"...so there you go, by coincidence or by intent, L3W ends with a bratty obnoxious punk pouting about soup, just like those commercials.

The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!
#69286 07/23/09 08:16 AM
Leader
Leader
A few random thoughts after my first reading. I'll have to reread it later to solidify my opinions.

I hate the whole concept of Earth Prime, so the ending was lame for me.

I'm glad they FINALLY beefed up Duo Damsel's power but to have it happen off panel and only be referenced in a small aside panel in this over-crowded and confusing Legion-a-palooza was disappointing. And did they really have to have her be eaten by rats to pull it off? And why would she send only one body to the past to help Karate Kid? What kind of help is that? Not crazy about the name Duplicate Damsel either. 5 syllables is too long for a code name.

I think George Perez is a god among mortals, but I wish he'd get over his crowd scene fetish. I'd rather have a well-written and illustrated story about 5 to 12 characters who actually get some screen time than hundreds of characters, each of whom we only see once or twice in a tiny background panel.

Is Dawnstar even capable of speaking without saying the word "path"? And how exactly did she avoid being incinerated when Wildfire blew his gasket right next to her?

In one scene Lazon(?) is punching a woman with brown hair and a red cape. I think it's supposed to be Night Girl, but her cape and hair are miscolored.

Weren't we supposed to end up with one Legion after all this? It seems to me they just added the Johnsboot Legion to the mix and didn't resolve anything.

All in all, a pretty package with a few loose ends tied up, but not much substance.

XS and Gates joining the adult Legion? They seem totally out of place among the veterans and their reasons for switching worlds seemed thin at best.

I did like Mysa's transformation from Albino Wimp to Black Asskicker though. Very cool. Hope to see more of her soon. Can somebody tell me why the original Green Lantern, Raven, et al. are imprisoned in Mordru's walls?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#69287 07/23/09 08:22 AM
Leader
Leader
Oh, yeah. I was disappointed that Dream Girl, Element Lad, Cham, etc. never showed up. I was expecting them to come riding in like the cavalry and save the day, or at least do something useful.

#69288 07/23/09 08:42 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
jimgallager:

I think George Perez is a god among mortals, but I wish he'd get over his crowd scene fetish. I'd rather have a well-written and illustrated story about 5 to 12 characters who actually get some screen time than hundreds of characters, each of whom we only see once or twice in a tiny background panel.
I don't think you can really blame George for being a victim of his own success. He was called on to do Crisis on Infinite Earths and History of the DCU because he's such a darned good artist, and ever since then, anyone wanting a great crowd scene looks to him. But he's done great work with smaller casts - New Teen Titans, for example. It's just about which jobs people want him for.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#69289 07/23/09 08:53 AM
Active
Active
Is Dawnstar even capable of speaking without saying the word "path"? And how exactly did she avoid being incinerated when Wildfire blew his gasket right next to her?

She is fast she could have taken off faster to prevent from being exposed to the explosion.

By the way with the way Reboot Wildfire was looking at Dawny and Drake I wonder if he was thinking of him and Sharaki. He seemed to be more well adjusted to his state (immaterial) than Drake-Prime (For lack of a better term).

Bring back the super-cousins
#69290 07/23/09 09:07 AM
T
Honorary
Honorary
T
It's Shikari.

That typo repeated in the series was very annoying.

#69291 07/23/09 09:28 AM
Active
Active
heh how about i just call her 'kari from now on?

#69292 07/23/09 09:33 AM
T
Active
Active
T
Weren't we supposed to end up with one Legion after all this? It seems to me they just added the Johnsboot Legion to the mix and didn't resolve anything.
At least we didn't end up with one Legion.

But you're right, it didn't really resolve much. The ending for Superboy-Prime is... not what I expected. At least Johns wasn't that predictable. But it doesn't resolve anything, either. It ends on the same question fans have been asking since the beginning.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#69293 07/23/09 09:51 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
heh how about i just call her 'kari from now on?
Or Misspelled Legion.

#69294 07/23/09 09:53 AM
T
Honorary
Honorary
T
Sorry, I wouldn't normally post just to correct a misspelling, but it happened repeatedly in Legion of Three Worlds, and I didn't want it to continue spreading.

#69295 07/23/09 09:58 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
I don't think you can really blame George for being a victim of his own success. He was called on to do Crisis on Infinite Earths and History of the DCU because he's such a darned good artist, and ever since then, anyone wanting a great crowd scene looks to him. But he's done great work with smaller casts - New Teen Titans, for example. It's just about which jobs people want him for.
Okay, fair enough. I wish the powers that be would get over their crowd scene fetish and pay George to illustrate a story with 5-12 characters who get some serious screen time.

#69296 07/23/09 11:09 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
I thought it a mediocre end to a mediocre series. The good news is, it is finally over!

Soooo..does anyone have any idea which Legion we are going to be seeing in Adventure Comics?

And which Legion is Legion 247 anyway?

#69297 07/23/09 11:25 AM
T
Honorary
Honorary
T
Legion-247 is the reboot Legion. As in, the team followed from 1994-2004.

#69298 07/23/09 11:29 AM
Leader
Leader
Well, since Starman is the first slated co-star, I'm guessing it's the adult Legion. Although I suppose it could vary from issue to issue with the way they've left things open-ended.

#69299 07/23/09 11:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Just wait until Prime pops up here.
Oh I hope not. The joke is already wearing thin over there. A couple threads, okay. But as per usual... some just don't know when "a lot" becomes "too much" and they've infiltrated threads that are trying to discuss the series.

Originally posted by Superboy:
Here's Geoff Johns take on Superboy Prime's fate, from the Comic Bloc:
You are smart, Atom. You nailed it.

It's about Superboy-Prime's own private hell. He's created it for himself and we, the readers, are his jailers, we are not him. Prime is not a blanket "metaphor" for fanboys. It's called ironic black humor.

Hey, kids! Comics!

Geoff
Nailed what? The "readers," his parents were written to be his prisoners. He is their (our?) jailor. He's created the hell for them (us?). Did Johns not succeed in making his intended point in the comic or did he misspeak here?

"Hey, kids! Comics!"

That's a copout I've grown tired of. Using "comics" for poorly constructed plots, huge leaps of faith...

A comic is either a one or two issue story or the graphic "novels" they claim to be creating. If it's the latter, the stories should be constructed as such and be held to the same standard as any other novel. The "creators" should stop whining when the readers who have because of monthly format, invested dozens of dollars, complain when they get to the end and find promises not met or that additional books must be purchased in order to make sense of the plot.

Wasn't a final resolution of Prime promised? Then what role could a Legion possibly have in containing his future antics? He's supposed to be a done deal, a completed character.

#69300 07/23/09 11:32 AM
Leader
Leader
I suggested boosting Lu's power, like, eons ago. Still like my suggested name better than Duplicate Damsel. I called her Multi-Maid. =)

#69301 07/23/09 11:39 AM
Leader
Leader
How about Legion Lass? laugh

Or maybe Legion Lady since she's all growed up now.

#69302 07/23/09 11:42 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I enjoyed the series overall, and thought that for a DC mini-series it concluded rather well. The George Perez art is as good as it gets. A+! The emphasis and hard work of sticking in as many Legionnaires as possible was obvious and was pulled off successfully. I'm sure the colorist has been quietly ushered off to rehab by now. The 5th issue focused a lot more on the Legionnaires, rather than Sodam Yat or Kon-El or Bart Allen, so I thought it was the best issue. For a story with a HUGE cast, Mr. Johns still provided us some good Legion member moments (Blok & Witch, Dawnstar & Wildfire, BB & DD, Polar Boy & Sun Boy, the Founding Three, and Brainiac 5 cubed). As mentioned earlier, the series generated more subplots than it solved, but that's ok if intended as a launching pad for a new series. The one draw back of the series for me was the "resoluton" of Superman's promise to fix Superboy-Prime.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#69303 07/23/09 11:49 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I hate the whole concept of Earth Prime, so the ending was lame for me.
I totally agree! I'll never forget that infamous Flash story where evil Cary Bates fights Elliot S! Maggin. yeesh...

A thought occurs to me - maybe the Ultimate punishment of Superboy Prime is to be stuck with his girlfriend Lori... as in Lori Mourning?
LoriMorning

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#69304 07/23/09 11:57 AM
Leader
Leader
Oh, yeah. I meant to put in some Cary Bates bashing in my earlier post, but I forgot. What a lame idea.

#69305 07/23/09 12:33 PM
Active
Active
come on instead of being upset with Earth Prime how about a little happiness that Quislet is alive and around somewhere!

And his girlfriend Laurie was more closer to Lori Lemaris and not Glorith.

#69306 07/23/09 12:37 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
[b]

Johns dropped the ball at both 5YL and Supergirl, who actually shows up at the poster. How were they summoned and how did they simply disappeared? Why only the 2 other Legions "survived" to tell the story?
The appearence of Kono, Kent Shakespeare, Laurel Gand, Devlin O'Ryan and Vi were poetical licences from PĂ©rez and Johns, but nothing else.
I don't see it that way. The sequence at the end of time was Imra summoning Legionnaires from the timestream and after KOing the Trapper, they all went back to whence they came.
I don't understand why L.E.G.I.O.N. turned up but given that they did, it's a shame the Durlan ie RJ Brande wasn't in the end of time sequence. That would have been a nice closure.

... And the Earth 22 Legion. And the SW6 batch, And a Kid Quantum I, Mentalla, Anti-Lad, Kara's cousin, Pete Ross... [/b]
Again, it's poetical licence. Because she would connect to other Legions, but not to teams not related to it (not even in the same time-period!). Also, as we have seen dozens of times, every time a team from another dimension is called, there must be:

1) Fight between them
2) Misunderstandings
3) 3 issues of dialogue and punching at each other until they find out who the real villain is.

And we might remember that Johns is not only ignoring TMK but also about 40 issues into Levitz v3.

#69307 07/23/09 12:44 PM
Active
Active
actually he did touch on the TMK legion in issue 5 in the group legionnaires page.

#69308 07/23/09 12:47 PM
Active
Active
from Google

[Linked Image]

#69309 07/23/09 12:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Click on that image (on the google page, not here) and see what pops up. Pretty cool.

Page 57 of 66 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,472
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Zero Kahn
Zero Kahn
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star