Roll Call
1 members (Ann Hebistand), 15 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:00 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/19/24 07:50 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
Re: UPDATE (12/20): Legion of Super-Heroes #1-- SOLICITATION! SPOILERS!
#70250 09/12/04 11:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Donna Trom:
Poor Gary... this is going to mean a whole batch of new gremlins come December/January...
I know. frown And I had gotten all caught up with post-booters too. frown frown

And thanks Mr. Kayak!

#70251 09/12/04 11:52 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
The "dullness" of the image makes me still question whether or not this is the cover. It's a very static shot, with most of the characters just standing around. It looks more like a splash page, or some other interior page to me.

I can buy Imra as being the character in the first image, and Dirk as being the second. I don't think we're meant to know who # 3 is (or some of the other characters in the main shot). The girl in #4 could also be completely knew, though my money would be on Triad.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#70252 09/12/04 12:03 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by He Who Wanders the Seven Seas:
The "dullness" of the image makes me still question whether or not this is the cover. It's a very static shot, with most of the characters just standing around. It looks more like a splash page, or some other interior page to me.
No, I'm convinced this is the cover. The way they're focused at the camera - with the line-flare on the ring to boot - and the arty-farty colouring on the line of insets suggests to me that it is the cover.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70253 09/12/04 12:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Why do you all insist that's a fire background? I see lightning.

#70254 09/12/04 12:36 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Deathstroke Lad:
Why do you all insist that's a fire background? I see lightning.
The colouring mostly. It can't even just be said they're matching hair-colours, since there's never been a purple-haired LSHer IIRC.

And how does it match with this?

click to enlarge

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70255 09/12/04 12:54 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
One thing that I find a little creepy about the solicitation is that, if you read the characters motivation in a certain way, it sounds eerily like the motivation of the anarchists from Gail's run. Trying to "disrupt" the utopian society so that actual social progress can be made or something like that...

Maybe that group will re-appear as competitors to the Legion ideology, trying to accomplish something similar but through different methods?

#70256 09/12/04 01:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
For what they're worth I reckon it's Imra, Garth, Nura, Tyroc (complete with funky disco era collars...) and Lu at the top and Rokk, Jan, Tasmia, Berta, Brainy, Jo, Gear and Val underneath....

If this is the cover then I guess the logo fits at the bottom....

I quite like the dazzling burst effect off brainy's ring (so to speak laugh ) and the serious look on their faces too....

#70257 09/12/04 01:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was thinking, wouldn't it be interesting if the guy we all think is Tyroc is really Rokk? I mean, would that be a re-imagining or what!

#70258 09/12/04 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Slobo Bloke:
If this is the cover then I guess the logo fits at the bottom....

Which would be a very bad idea. Covers with logos that aren't at the top tend to get lost on shelves, when other comics are stacked in front of them. The same thing happened to NOBLE CAUSES when the original logo ran down the left-hand side.

#70259 09/12/04 03:59 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I think it's more likely that the logo fits between Brainy's head and the top row pictures, or else there's additional space above them for the logo. Or else... maybe "The Legion" is written in the space above Brainy and then "of Super-Heroes" is at the bottom... how would that work?

#70260 09/12/04 07:35 PM
Dividing the logo and placing it both at the top and bottom of the cover is a novel idea, Eryk.

#70261 09/12/04 07:58 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
That ring effect is kinda making me sleepy...

Universo

#70262 09/12/04 09:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Many thoughts that echo the ones before mine...

First my guesses at the characters.

Top row: Saturn Girl, DIRK, Dreamer, Tyroc, Violet.

I know Garth has lots of fans here and I think all the guesses for him is wishful thinking. The 2nd square is orange with a fire background? Dirk all the way. Tyroc? I hope so. He looks cool whoever he is. I think they are going to make Vi asian b/c it can easily be explained that she always was and really doesn't matter if she is. I like it. The last two characters may be all new though. Still think Garth will be in the series but that ain't him on the cover. wink

Bottom row? Cosmic Boy, Apparition, Element Lad(!), the female I have no idea, Brainy, Ultra Boy(!), Cham?, and Karate Kid?

Is that an eye on the guy's head next to Jo? Maybe a friend of Despero? smile Looks silly.

I hope Karate Kid is in it cause I enjoyed him postboot especially the latest story arc. In preboot he died right when i started reading. frown

I've brought up the Querl/Vril possible comparison for this series. Every other Brainiac was a bit...not nice...I can see B5 be a bit pushy like Vril. I think Brainy may be the most important Legion figure anyways. With Waid/Kitson former work on L.E.G.I.O.N. plus they even mentioned the old series when talking about this one early on...I just see a comparison between the Dox's. I like it.

Honestly don't care for the bored superhumans in the 31st century approach. So this is a glorified club? Ick. Still hoping character work stands out and I don't care if it's a club or not.

Hope the changes aren't too drastic.

Jorge

#70263 09/12/04 09:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Ultra Cyborg:
I know Garth has lots of fans here and I think all the guesses for him is wishful thinking. The 2nd square is orange with a fire background? Dirk all the way.
First, glad to see you back Jorge. Hope you got through the storm okay.

Now, I'll ask again. Why do you INSIST that's fire? I don't see fire I see electricity. Its just as much wishful thinking for Dirk fans (of which I'm one) to keep insisting that its fire and it means Dirk is back.

It IS Garth, pure and simple. And you can't prove otherwise until December (or we find out in Dallas). laugh

#70264 09/12/04 11:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have electricity again Deathstroke after 3 days but no thanks to Garth. wink

I looked at the picture again more objectively and it can be electricity. Knowing Waid it is Garth. smile I've been wrong plenty of times so I will admit defeat now and for some small chance I am right I shall gloat in late December. lol.

Hurricane Ivan is scaring me.

Thanks Deathstroke Lad just figured out who you really are. wink

Jorge

#70265 09/13/04 04:37 AM
Active
Active
Wow, this IS an unusual first issue cover. Strange composition. Why are some in panels above? For the ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT LSH they look pretty WASH (white anglo saxon humanoid). This is 13 of the 18 members and Brainy and Cham are the only aliens. How disappointing. ROLL CALL top: 1-Saturn Girl, 2-Sun Boy (c'mon those are flames), 3-Dream Girl, 4-Invisible Kid (it does look like Jacques, maybe Jacques Norg. or Lyle Foccart), 5-Hmmm...i'd guess Shrinking Violet but the convention panel said that none of the LSH had seen her cuz' she shyly stays at subatomic level. maybe that's why the light is violet?
ROLL CALL bottom: 1-Cosmic Boy in PINK again! 2-Alchemy Lad? i hope it's not Jan cuz' i hate this costume. 3-Phantom Girl in pigtails! 4-could be Projectra-Sensor Girl, or yet another beautiful white woman with silver hair... Glorith Girl maybe. 5-Brainiac 5 doing his best Vril impersonation, 6-Ultra Boy in his old weight lifting belt! Yay! 7-Chameleon Boy, look at the primary shapes as his logo. i miss the antenna. 8-Cos again? he had gloves like that. could be Karate Kid but if he's not asian this time out i'll be pissed.

Gorilla Nebula
#70266 09/13/04 04:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
One thing about Brainiac 5 in this picture.

I have been buying back issues of L.E.G.I.O.N. to see what I thought of Barry's art on a regular series and, to me at least, our Brainy is starting to look a lot like his ancestor, the first DOX, founder of L.E.G.I.O.N.

I think its the buzz cut and more adult and agressive image on Brainy. I hope he does not get a Virl Dox personality to go with the look.

Faithfull
#70267 09/13/04 04:46 AM
Candidate
Candidate
This looks brilliant.
The standard idea of "cape & tights" super-heroes is outdated and it is fun when people shake it up a bit.

The idea of a super-hero group in a time when there is no need for super-heroes is a great idea.
Comics like Powers, Demo, Get Backers, Common Grounds and so on are all must-reads these days, and this sounds like it could be an innovative change not only for Legion, but for super-hero comics. And it all uses what existed anyway, which makes it genius. If we look at the different eras of the Legion, some of the best work has been when character is involved. It was the redeeming feature of the Giffenbaum 'verse, made Legionnaires the interesting title in a dull era of Legion and enhanced the galaxy-spanning epic ideas that DnA had.
As long as Waid does this right, the series is going to be very, very cool.

Ambient-Noise Boy

>?
#70268 09/13/04 06:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Man - that is one ugly and boring cover!

As excited as I am about this new series one of my biggest worries is that Kitson will be the weak link. Sure, he can draw well when working on pre-established and designed characters (see JSA : Strange Adventures) but when called upon to design his own, everyone has an extemely boring same-y look about them (see Empire). I know we can't really see full shots of anyone though so I'm going to hold off my criticism on this topic until I've actually seen the issue.

I do wish the cover could have been a bit more dynamic though. It really does nothing for me. And the colours seem REALLY bad! That can't be our mechana can it? I always thought she did a wonderful job!

As for who they are -

Top row:

* Imra (though more than any of the others I think this one could surprise us)
* Garth (because of the straight hair otherwise I would definitely have thought Dirk)
* Nura (though in every respect except for the colour of the hair it looks like Tinya... but then one of Kitson's main problems is that all his women's faces tend to look the same)
* Tyroc (gotta be! look at the collar! one word - YES!!!)
* Salu (with the same funky eye make-up Tinya was using in Superboy's Legion)

Main picture :

* Rokk (could it be anyone else?)
* Hart (if it is Jan then its a radical departure from the one we've known for the last few years. though I don't mind either way I LOVE the idea of a traitor in the Legion and Hart being the tension-providing bad-boy)
* Jazmin (because of the earring)
* Jeckie (though it doesn't look much like her. the regal bearing and hair colour seem to be the only clues)
* Querl (obviously)
* Jo (obviously)
* no idea (if it is Reep that's a horible re-design, if its not Reep that's still a horrible design)
* Gim (just because we know he's coming back and he seems like the type who might wear fingerless gloves, though Val is a strong possibility)

#70269 09/13/04 06:30 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I was hoping we might see Gear in the reboot, but yeah - it's prolly Cham to the right.
I thought the shapes had a Playstation feel that with the 'designed in 2004' attitude they're going for, and fit Gear's powers, but then I thought: "Shapes". Cham changes shapes - thus making the primary figures an abstract way of conveying his powers.
I'm not sold until I see Star Boy, Xs and Lyle though... frown
(Or could that be Jenni in the brown at the top? The collar looks like her current one a bit... Looks a bit like a boy though.
If they bring in Jacques instead of Lyle as Invisible Kid I'll be narky tho... mad )

Plus I think it's Dirk in the top row, surrounded by what I see as flames. wink

Wayne@OZ
#70270 09/13/04 07:18 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hmmm...something said above makes me wonder if the white haired female next to Brainey could be Mysa!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#70271 09/13/04 07:44 AM
Active
Active
Hi Guys
Well I'm glad most of you liked the cover - though the final version will look quite different to this as this was colored specifcally for the previews piece.
Layout and color will change for the actual book.
The characters are
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Saturn Girl, Sun Boy, Dream Girl, Star Boy, Shadow Lass, Cosmic Boy, Element Lad, Phantom Girl, Princess Projectra, Brainiac, Ultra-Boy, Chameleon (NOT an eye on his forehead) Karate Kid

Boy, it's scary waiting to read your comments on the artwork! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#70272 09/13/04 07:48 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Star Boy is black?! Omigosh. Glad to hear that Sun Boy, Element Lad and Projectra are back in the fold, but I'm terrified to ask what you did with Garth.

#70273 09/13/04 07:55 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I'm intrigued by the new Star Boy, but a little annoyed at Cham's apparent lack of antennae.

#70274 09/13/04 08:06 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Hmm. We've been told there will be roughly 18 members, and we've seem to have some confirmation on 16 of them so far. So far they're all Adventure era members, which is disappointing to me. I've found something to enjoy in all the Legion series so far, but it seems a little bit unfair not to at least throw the post-boot fan a few bones. I hope the team expands pretty soon. We already had one relaunch by Adventure partisans (TMK) and I don't really need another one.

I guess I'm still pretty skeptical, but I'll see where it goes. Starting from a utopian setting and working backward certainly bucks the trend in Legion relauches at least.

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,462
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CJ Taylor
CJ Taylor
Denver, CO
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star