Roll Call
1 members (rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1), 3 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/19/24 05:38 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:54 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:54 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20
Re: UPDATE (12/20): Legion of Super-Heroes #1-- SOLICITATION! SPOILERS!
#70375 09/14/04 11:05 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Hi Guys - glad so many are looking forward to teh new series.

As soon as issue #1 is out I'll post the design sheet I promise! I may even have a copy with me for those attending Dallas to get a preview in November smile
Barry, I know you're not too familiar with the USA; Dallas is a long way from Minneapolis. If you think I'm driving that far to buy you that beer... well, it is beer and you and Legion artwork. ROADTRIP!

Just spouting off.
#70376 09/14/04 11:32 AM
Active
Active
Have you lot go no shame at all? Have you all suspended your taste glands just coz Barry is posting?

I'd be amazed if everyone was still frothing at the fanny about this stinky looking reboot if Saint Bazza wasn't on here.

#70377 09/14/04 11:46 AM
Active
Active

The approach we've taken is to try and make the new Legion something that readers with no prior LSH history will find accessible and enjoyable
Right - I don't mean to be rude, but do you honestly think new readers are going to be attracted to the book? Bringing back the Lad/lass names is a bad move (when I tried to get my friends to read Legion in the 80s they wouldn't because they were put off by the names) and culling the membership from the ranks of the Adventure era is just going to alienate any Legion readers under the age of 35.

#70378 09/14/04 11:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cad Lad:
Whoops, didn't mean to post twice. I just can't figure out how to edit my posts.
CL, click on this image above a post you want to edit, [Linked Image]. That will allow you to change anything you want or even delete your own posting. smile

#70379 09/14/04 11:52 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by imskian78:
Boy! Some very negative fans in here! I don't really post often but this whole thing has really got me pumped. The fact is change is a fact of life. Life is full of change..adapt or perish.

What did the Archie Legion give us?? We lost Dawnstar, Blok, Sunboy, Tyroc..
So change is OK only when you get what you want then? I wouldn't hold my breath if you're waiting for Waid to reboot Tyroc or Dawnstar.

I really hated the Archie era - but I loved what DnA did to fix it. That's what should happen when creative teams are changed! Their replacement should have built on the brilliant iconography they created (thresholds, Titanet, the cadets) instead of just ignoring all DnA's hard work and throwing it in the bin. It's the arrogance of this reboot that's really getting my goat. Basically, if you weren't buying Adventure in the 60s there's no need to bother reading the new title.

You don't get Wonder Woman rebooting every time there's a new creative team do you? So why should we?

#70380 09/14/04 12:05 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Hmmm... reboot Wonder Woman... evil

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#70381 09/14/04 12:40 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Thanks Nightchangeling.

"Suit yourself, John. But real men wear pants, y'know?"--King Faraday in DC: New Frontier
#70382 09/14/04 12:49 PM
Active
Active
Hi Guys - thanks for the kind comments, to answer a couple of the questions that came up...

The legion and the future DEFINITELY aren't all happy go-lucky caucasion heterosexual humanoids , in fact many of the future's inhabitants aren't ANY of those things. smile The Legion itself won't be those things either. At the start they are mostly humanoid, but that'll be explained too.

I will be inking the book myself as long as possible - until the 30 pages a month defeats me totally! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#70383 09/14/04 01:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Plus Barry is saying all the right things. Hey I like humanoids! Easily can be explained why most of them are...especially since most of the Legionnaire planets are descendents of Earth (Invasion/Dominion/Monel).

I am also bummed not all of my faves are there but the fact that Barry mentions they will show up is a plus.

can't wait for Shikari! wink

Jorge

#70384 09/14/04 03:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The legion and the future DEFINITELY aren't all happy go-lucky caucasion heterosexual humanoids , in fact many of the future's inhabitants aren't ANY of those things. smile
THANKS, BARRY! This is an extremely comforting bit of news.

I will be inking the book myself as long as possible - until the 30 pages a month defeats me totally! smile
OUCH. Who do you think you are, John Romita Jr.? Seriously, man, that's amazing.

#70385 09/14/04 03:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
wow !!! i'm away for 3 days [ went to London, for an awards ceremony .... ]

and there's this EXCITING new "Legion of Super Heroes" news !!! and 13 pages of posts, so far .....

i'm not sure what to make of it at the moment ??? the image by BARRY looks cool, and the info on the characters, is interesting !!! a return to their original names, is great !!!

i always preferd those over the current ones, i'm so confused to see how we get to this, from the current storyline ???

roll on the next issue of the "TEEN TITANS" and the cross over special .....

Matthew.

#70386 09/14/04 03:50 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Thanks for all the posts Mr. Kitson, I can tell you that if I had any doubts about giving this series a try before you posted, I don't now. Knowing that you have bothered to find out what the fan reaction is to the little info we have is comforting.
I, like many here, am tired of the state of flux that the Legion has been in, lo, these many years (since the Great Darkness in my opinion- some good, some bad, but little stability) and I hope that what you and Mr. Waid begin here can be a foundation for years of Legion stories, maybe even triple digit issue numbers again. If this is the last number 1 Legion issue I ever have to see I won't be disappointed. Good luck and have fun gentlemen.

BTW, put it in the happy box with the "They're just rebooting back to the Adventure years!!" chatter. Maybe read an issue before you decide what they have done?

#70387 09/14/04 04:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm optimistic about this "take" on the Legion.

It's amazing that some people will write it totally off if they haven't read a word of the issue yet. Ah well...different strokes baby.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#70388 09/14/04 05:36 PM
Active
Active
I seem to remember them rebooting Wonder Woman after the Crisis.... smile Oh the horror!

Anyway, I agree with narrrowhouse, give 'em a try before we condemn them. If you don't like it after that, don't read it.

"Your plan didn't work, now let's try it my way...brute force!"
#70389 09/14/04 08:00 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
When you've been down this road as many times as I and others have with the Legion,(reboot after reboot)you tend to not to be so optimistic. So it's really not so amazing that some people write it off before they even read a word of the new issue. It DOES get old after a while. As I mentioned before, they (DC) knows that loyal readers like me will continue to come back anyway. It's not fair to us, but it's been happening for years.

Long Live the Legion!!!
#70390 09/14/04 08:18 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just remember how many of the creators we have on our side. Of course we have an evil publishing empire to contend with but when haven't we? (curse Jeanette Khan)
There's a unique connection between the Legion and it's fans and creators and I find it quite comforting to know that people that write and draw the Legion love the Legion as much as we do.

Give 'em hell boys, let's see that indie rock Legion!

#70391 09/14/04 10:54 PM
Substitute
Substitute
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
[QB] Don't count Brin ( or anyone) out too soon - we have all sorts of plans for everybody smile

Hi Barry,
Can you please tell me if Invisible Kid/Lyle Norg is going to be on the team?? He is my favorite Legionnaire. :-)

#70392 09/14/04 11:03 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Don't count Brin ( or anyone) out too soon - we have all sorts of plans for everybody

Than-Q
Very
Very
Much!

I love Vol.4
Prepare your stones.
#70393 09/15/04 12:10 AM
Active
Active
Thanks everyone!

On the reboot debate - I'm reliably informed LSH has only actually been rebooted once.... though as there have been so many changes of direction I can understand the debate ( I would have said more than once if I'd been asked before) smile I believe KC Carlson said at the Baltimore Legion panel that it was a reboot done to fit in with - and to save as much LSH continuity as possible from - a DCU event that necessitated it, so it wasn't really as deeply thought out as all those involved would have liked. I know it doesn't change any of the concerns some of you have, but I thought it was interesting. Personally I've completely given up on trying to understand what does or doesn't constitute a reboot! smile

Anyway...

My answer on Invisible Kid is the same as for Timber Wolf wink

Thanks again!

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#70394 09/15/04 12:13 AM
Active
Active
Lar Gand?If he does appear what is Waid gonna call him Marvel Lad?

#70395 09/15/04 02:14 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire Lemon!..or maybe he'll get a pink outfit with a question mark on it?

Thanks for checking in so often Barry. We really appreciate the information you've dropped here for us and we'll probably worry it to death during this three month stint of legionless comic shops.
Don't worry too much about the negatives, normally this is as pleasant a crew as you'll find anywhere but the stress of doing without our monthly fix is already beginning to show.

My god, it could get really ugly before Dec.29th.
...on second thought run! Run for your life!

#70396 09/15/04 02:34 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Barry, on the matter of reboots.

Crisis happened and it changed things in the series but it wasn't a reboot. Then we had the 5 years gap story which wasn't a reboot until issue #4.

Mon-El kills the Time Trapper we get the Morduverse. That is rebooted and we get things back to "normal" with some minor changes all around.

And then yeah the obvious reboot with Zero Hour. But between Crisis, 5 year gap, Zero Hour and now this...well we've had some upheavels. wink

Thanks for posting.

#70397 09/15/04 04:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MYG:
When you've been down this road as many times as I and others have with the Legion,(reboot after reboot)you tend to not to be so optimistic. So it's really not so amazing that some people write it off before they even read a word of the new issue. It DOES get old after a while. As I mentioned before, they (DC) knows that loyal readers like me will continue to come back anyway. It's not fair to us, but it's been happening for years.
Been a fan since right around the Great Darkness Saga in the early 80's. Actually been a fan since the mid 70's, but got into collecting in the early 80's. So, don't presume to know hoe long some of "us" have been fams.

I've been around for the reboot. There have been tweaks along the way, but only one true reboot.

I'm a long term fan, and still optimistic about the book. I still always give something a chance before totally writing it off. Although, if Liefeld was reimagining the Legion...that might be a different story. wink

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#70398 09/15/04 05:07 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Thanks everyone!

On the reboot debate - I'm reliably informed LSH has only actually been rebooted once.... though as there have been so many changes of direction I can understand the debate ( I would have said more than once if I'd been asked before) smile I believe KC Carlson said at the Baltimore Legion panel that it was a reboot done to fit in with - and to save as much LSH continuity as possible from - a DCU event that necessitated it, so it wasn't really as deeply thought out as all those involved would have liked. I know it doesn't change any of the concerns some of you have, but I thought it was interesting. Personally I've completely given up on trying to understand what does or doesn't constitute a reboot! smile
Well, here's what your partner-in-crime said at that time:

"I'm sorry if I sound cranky, but this wasn't an editorial fiat from DC. This drastic change was my choice, and DC chose to back me."
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002300

[Edited to fix link that was broken after the topic was moved & moved back]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70399 09/15/04 05:15 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Thanks everyone!

I believe KC Carlson said at the Baltimore Legion panel that it was a reboot done to fit in with - and to save as much LSH continuity as possible from - a DCU event that necessitated it
Is the DCU event Barry's referring to here Identity Crisis?

Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,460
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star