Roll Call
1 members (rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1), 3 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/19/24 05:38 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:54 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:54 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Re: UPDATE (12/20): Legion of Super-Heroes #1-- SOLICITATION! SPOILERS!
#70475 09/16/04 06:13 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Does anyone else think it's ironic that people are complaining because a comic set in the future doesn't stay the same as it was in the past? I think insisting that it be the same Legion he knew (especially now, years after the last reboot) is carrying it to the ultimate extreme.

I'm holding out until I read it, but I have to say I'm pretty excited. Waid rocks!

Originally posted by Reboot:
Originally posted by Semi Radiant Fellow:
[b]I can't help but think that those of you who have stated that they will never pick up the new series are just cutting off your noses to spite your faces.
Yep. But hey - I'm good at that & stubborn enough to carry it through. I won't be reading it. [I dropped Exiles when they got rid of Blink (when she came back & they got a writer whose name wasn't Chuck Austen, I gave it a shot, but didn't go back).]

To use an anology - if someone came, killed off your whole family, then gave you a new "family" who looked & acted similarly, would you treat this "family" as if they were your real family?

I don't think so. [/b]

Comradely,
Gates
LLL!
#70476 09/16/04 06:25 PM
Active
Active
I've seen the error of my ways frown

Bazza! I loved your work on Judge Anderson 20 years ago!

Now, can everyone vote for me please? I'm about to become the Legion World leader y'know!

#70477 09/16/04 06:29 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by TiJulk MrAsz:
Does anyone else think it's ironic that people are complaining because a comic set in the future doesn't stay the same as it was in the past? I think insisting that it be the same Legion he knew (especially now, years after the last reboot) is carrying it to the ultimate extreme.
a) As I've said, I don't give a frelling damn about the preboot stuff. It's before my time, and if they debooted to sometime preboot, I'd react exactly the same way.

b) I've fine with evolutionary change. Logical change. Revolutionary throw-logic-along-with-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-out-the-window change, not so.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70478 09/16/04 06:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Comet King:
I've seen the error of my ways frown

Bazza! I loved your work on Judge Anderson 20 years ago!

Now, can everyone vote for me please? I'm about to become the Legion World leader y'know!
Your sincerity bring tears to my eyes.
lol

#70479 09/16/04 07:02 PM
Active
Active
Reboot and Cosmic King, believe me, I know exactly what you're going through. When the V.4 version of the Legion started, I stopped buying after two issues because it wasn't "my" Legion. But, because I love the Legion I came back and picked up the run during the Quiet Darkness and got hooked.

Then when the whole shebang was getting rebooted I again quit in disgust after a few short issues. But, needing my Legion fix, I was back within a year and hooked again when the Legion fought the White Triangle.

I quit again after taking one look at Coipel's art in the Legion of the Damned. Thankfully I got back on board with the Legion Lost #3.

It seems whenever I start to identify with a particular era, it gets yanked out from under my feet. I anticipate hating this new Legion at first. I don't want to, but the whole "reimagining" seems to be unneccessary and I don't want it. But I also anticipate eventually enjoying whatever comes next. The whole concept sounds iffy and I don't want to start all over with the team again. It's frustrating to see so many of DnA's cool concepts dropped before they are even developed.

But what can you do. I don't think you're going to convince anyone to join you in dropping the Legion if that's your intent. But if I had access to the internet the previous three times my Legion was drastically changed, I would probably be saying the exact same things you guys are.

So vent. Get it out of your system. Let everyone know how pissed you are, because chances are, we've all been there before, too. But don't be surprised if you have to get your Legion fix, try an issue of the new series, and end up liking it.

Such is the misery and joy of being a Legion fan.

#70480 09/16/04 10:55 PM
T
Honorary
Honorary
T
Pex, it's so weird, cause I started the Legion right around the time Morrison (HORRIBLE!) came on board the X-Men. I've read X-Men since 1993, only stopping after 14 issues of Morrison's terrible run. I'm back reading the titles, though they're not that great, I still love the X-Men so much, it's hard to consider dropping it for anything less than pure crap.

However, if they decided X-Men were to end and be rebooted (a la the Ultimate X-Men, which suck ass) I'm sure that would be the end of my connection with the X-Men.

#70481 09/17/04 01:24 AM
W
Applicant
Applicant
W
Everyone is entitled to their opinions; I was disappointed at first too, but I looked back at the postboot run. There's not a whole lot I'm going to miss-Gates, Kinetix(when she first started), Shikari. I've been reading since the late 70's-I've seen my share of likes and dislikes. Loved the Levitz run esp., and even the start of the 5 year gap stuff. I guess what I'm saying is some Legion is better than no Legion. Some people are saying they're just going to read their back issues and archive stuff-hey this thing is on life support! If the sales weren't stinking it up we wouldn't be here. I've got excited just the past few days just reading these threads. I say good luck to Barry and Mark-just bring back T-wolf!!!! Hee hee:)

#70482 09/17/04 05:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm excited about this new Legion. Sure, I'm a relative newbie here, I came on with DnA. They made me like the characters, to get excited about their adventures. The Legion lore I've gleaned over the years had made me a bigger fan.

WnKy's new take is really interesting to me. Yes it's a radical departure from what I know. But that makes it different, not bad. Chuck, Star Boy, and Gates are my favourite characters, and it sounds like they're not going to be the same ones I came to enjoy over DnA's run. But I trust Barry and Mark to give me something worth reading.

I'm saying a sad goodbye to the Legion, but an excited hello to the Legion of Super Heroes!

Just spouting off.
#70483 09/17/04 08:42 AM
Active
Active
I don't think that could have been said any better CJ! smile

"Your plan didn't work, now let's try it my way...brute force!"
#70484 09/17/04 09:27 AM
Reservist
Reservist
I'm looking forward to the new series. I've had some issues with Barry Kitson's artwork before but, as I did with Coipel, I will wait for him to find his "look" for the series.

I just hope that we Mark & Barry stay on the book for the long-term. That more than anything is my primary hope.

Can't comment too much on what this re-imagined Legion will be since it hasn't been published yet. However, Legion of Super-Heroes has always been a part of my life and as with all of the changes I've gone through for 32 years of being alive, I'll see what happens in this chapter of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Igee The Mighty!
#70485 09/17/04 10:34 AM
Active
Active
Barry:

I wish for you all the luck in the world, in this new reboot of my dear Legion.
I have almost all Legion of super-heroes,Legionnaires,L.E.G.I.O.N.,R.E.B.E.L.S.
I lived in many cities in the world Buenos Aires Montevideo,Roselle Park (In New Jersey)and now in Valencia, Spain. And always my comic collection traveled with me.
I must only say, I prefer the adventure era, and the levitz era.
For me The legion it's over in the Magic Wars.
The 5 years gap has too cruel,with so many characters of my heart.
Only remember with a good taste Spider-Girl and the beauty Veilmist.
The archie legion was very crazy, with Snackie, Gates, Gim dead, no Sun Boy,Shikari, Monstress.
You put my 4 favorites legionnaires together again;

Saturn Girl
Projectra
Shadow Lass
Phantom Girl

I'm very happy only for the girls.
But I'm happy too with Sun Boy, Colossal Boy, Element lad.
Don't make Star Boy a black boy, please!
We have others very good guys like Tyroc, Gear,Kid Quantum and Jacques (with different power).
And draw a beautiful Emerald Empress (Not the slender and ugly woman of the post era).
Again, my better wishes for this, my Legion.
Emerald Empress

From UK with glamour.
#70486 09/17/04 10:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Say Barry,

Without giving anything away about who will end up in the new series (aside from what's been confirmed), can you say who are your favorite Legionnaires?

#70487 09/17/04 11:15 AM
Active
Active
Once again thanks guys!

Hi Igee - we certainly hope to be on the book for a long run, we already have very long term plans worked out! smile

Hi Drake - I'll dodge that question if it's okay - as my opinion is always shifting! smile

BTW I've finally found my way to the Nura and Lilith's Visionries forum - which is where I guess I should have been answering questions all along - so I'll be checking in there as regularly as I can from now on! smile Apologies to anyone who asked something there ages ago that I've only just got around to answering!

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#70488 09/17/04 02:13 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Well, after reading ALL 20 pages I have come to these conclusions.

Emerald Lass’s post above is almost exactly how I feel about the Legion. Uncanny..........

"I wish for you all the luck in the world, in this new reboot of my dear Legion.
I must only say, I prefer the adventure era, and the levitz era.
For me The legion it's over in the Magic Wars.
The 5 years gap has too cruel, with so many characters of my heart.
The archie legion was very crazy, with Snackie, Gates, Gim dead, no Sun Boy,Shikari, Monstress."...

Wow gotta agree with all that.

Barry Thanks for all the answers and comments!

Has everyone forgotten how great L.E.G.I.O.N was?

Also, DC and rebooting?? Well what about the entire ULTIMATES line? Would the doubters of this new Legion rather have an Ultimate Legion? That would be painful. Just keep it fresh and new, with our old favorites coming together as a group, and it has to be wonderful!

Barry if you can, new villains would go a long way to the liking of the title.

Lastly, I mostly collect for the original art at this point, so I REALLY look forward to seeing the images. After L.E.G.I.O.N, I know that you will not disappoint!

Well good luck, and personally after trudging through the last several years, I am really looking forward to this!

LLLater!

Chad

UltraBoy
#70489 09/17/04 05:57 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Ultra Boy:

Also, DC and rebooting?? Well what about the entire ULTIMATES line? Would the doubters of this new Legion rather have an Ultimate Legion? That would be painful.
And losing over ten years of what I consider to be good times and great adventures isn't? Like I said, I'll give the new book a shot, but replacing the Legion I know and love with any other form of Legion, Ultimate or not, is still painful to me, and I reserve the right to mourn the passing of the current continuity.

It's like mourning the death of a spouse...even if you eventually remarry, the new spouse isn't going to completely replace the departed one. You'll grow to love her for herself. Even then, however, you'll think fondly back on your lost love from time to time and wonder what else you might have experienced together if she hadn't been cruelly taken away from you by the winds of change and the passage of time.

Maybe the one-shot will give me a sense of closure, and I'll accept it as being over and done with once I've seen it in print. Even if I can't come to terms with it right away, DC's given me a couple of months to deal before shoving me back out into the dating pool again... laugh

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
#70490 09/17/04 06:09 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I know that it is indeed gonna be painful for some. In an ideal world we could have both, but with the sales of "The Legion" so flat....Under 25K, they need to do something to keep this title alive. Unfortunately for some, this is horrible as they have invested a lot of time & effort into the reboot team, and have grown to love them.

For others, it is a sigh of relief that we are going back to a more "sane" time..... preboot that is.

Fortunately for you, even with the death of a spouse, you are still alive and get the chance to hit the scene again with some familiar people next to you.

On a final note, I wish though that the Titans/Legion crossover would be with the Waid/Kitson team, as that might help more on the crossover to attract more Legion folk!

LLLater!

Chad

UltraBoy
#70491 09/17/04 10:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
One thought on the reboot:
While Legion fans have had to deal with a lot of contintuity changes and soft-boots as well as the big hard boot, I think we should consider ourselves fortunate in one way -- a lot of other titles firmly planted in the DC universe (Doom Patrol being the big exception) have had similar changes and overhauls in hopes of increasing sales, but since the Legion has their own self-contained corner of the DCU, DC has chosen the reboot route, keeping mostly the same characters and code names rather than what they would do in the regular DCU, which is kill off the old cast or bring in a totally new lineup etc...

Look at most other titles, or team books -- JLA, Doom Patrol, Teen Titans etc ... they've had periods of "re-imagining" where they totally replaced the lineup, or (like Green Lantern) killed off the main character when they wanted to make changes and bring in new readers. At least The Legion in all its incarnations have tried to keep to the same beloved characters and changed their universe as opposed to being stuck in the current DCU and having to replace the cast since they wouldn't be able to overhaul continuity.

#70492 09/18/04 01:05 AM
T
Honorary
Honorary
T
Uh, sorry, but the Ultimate universe has not replaced the regular Marvel Universe. ULTIMATES, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, ULTIMATE X-MEN, etc. co-exist with AVENGERS, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, UNCANNY X-MEN, etc.

And like I said, if the Ultimate Universe replaced rather than co-existed with the Marvel U, I think I would stop reading X-Men (especially since I can't stand the Ultimate X-Men at all!)

#70493 09/18/04 07:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Ultra Boy:
Has everyone forgotten how great L.E.G.I.O.N was?

Nope.

I still hope that some day we can see them back in some form. Maybe if the new Legion and the Adam Strange mini really take off, we'll see it.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#70494 09/18/04 08:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
To use an anology - if someone came, killed off your whole family, then gave you a new "family" who looked & acted similarly, would you treat this "family" as if they were your real family?

I don't think so.
Sorry. No offense. That is the worst analogy that I can possibly think of. Comparing the slaughter of my wife and daughter (or anyy of our loved ones) to a bunch of fictional characters being "re-booted" is sick and wrong.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#70495 09/18/04 09:50 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Come on folks, we'll get through this together. It's been said how much us older fans miss our older Legion, how much the DnA fans miss the reboot Legion already and now you see we're in the same space life boat together.
Kinda sucks but we got through it and we'll help you lot get through it too...if you let us.

-Look at poor Dev-Em, his favorite character doesn't even exist at the moment (the Mad Daxamite was a poor substitute but at least he was around)-

At least we don't seem to have the beginning of the series filled with dead and mutilated Legionnaires ala Giffen's relaunch.

#70496 09/18/04 10:20 AM
Substitute
Substitute
First of all:
Barry, nice of you to keep posting. I'll be on board for the re-launch.
I'm of the opinion that any Legion is better than no Legion.
My Legion ceased to exist with the soft boot in the early issues(#4?)of the TMK run. I enjoyed the rest of that run though, and cringed when the re-boot happened at zero hour. The closest I've ever come to dropping the book was during the "Archie Legion" in the twentieth century phase. But,I kept with it and DnA came along and the Legion was alive again.
My Legion still exists in my back issues and I can read them whenever I want.
This new version sounds different so I'll be there to see what happens.
As to the "re-imagining" debate?
I'd rather try this than another re-boot.
Sometimes, you have to try something different.
Remember, if the editors at DC hadn't done some "re-imagining" back in the late fifties-early sixties there would have been no silver age.
Just how I feel.
-Brian

#70497 09/18/04 11:19 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Dove_Em:
[b] To use an anology - if someone came, killed off your whole family, then gave you a new "family" who looked & acted similarly, would you treat this "family" as if they were your real family?

I don't think so.
Sorry. No offense. That is the worst analogy that I can possibly think of. Comparing the slaughter of my wife and daughter (or anyy of our loved ones) to a bunch of fictional characters being "re-booted" is sick and wrong.[/b]
Magnitude. The anology compares concepts.

Of-frelling-course mass-murder would be of a far, far greater magnitude.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70498 09/18/04 01:07 PM
Active
Active
I'd prefer it if DC told everyone that this reboot was a kind of "Ultimate Legion". Then, when things don't work out or when Waid leaves in two years, we can go back to the old series. At least then we'd get to see Gates again!

And - no offense to anyone - has anyone re-read LEGION recently? I read the whole thing over again a couple of weeks ago and it was just a bit blah. Some of it was OK, but lame brained stuff like actually introducing a character called Bgtzl and having him "seed" Tinya's homeworld 1000 years in the past was just a load of rubbish.

#70499 09/18/04 01:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's been a long while since I reread L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. but I certainly remember them being favorites at the time. Gawd, I loved all the in-fighting and drama! You could really only count on Phase, Strata and Captain Comet... you never knew if Dox, Lobo, Stealth or Lady Quark were gonna shoot you in the back... and the Emerald Beks... great stuff.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,460
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star