Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: Adventure Comics starring the Legion of Super-Heroes
#71903 11/18/08 04:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
GIven the trouble getting a book with one writer and art team out on time. Could you imagine putting out an 100 page giant with 5x16 pg features.

#71904 11/18/08 09:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Superboy:

Didio has also said he thinks all the cornerstone franchises deserve two titles...WW is about to get a second title, so is Justice League, Green Lantern and the Titans already have two titles...that just leaves Flash and the Legion as the cornerstones without them...hopefully this will just be part of the upcoming Legion plans.
oh yes, I want WW to get the 2nd comics - more specifically which I am hoping for - is the return of Sensation Comics! *fingers crossing* smile

#71905 11/19/08 01:50 AM
Leader
Leader
From DiDio "We’re also bringing back one of the old-time favorite titles of DC Comics "Adventure Comics." It will be ...back with a new No. 1 and with new stars but old stars at the same time. It’ll be pretty easy to guess who will be the stars of "Adventure Comics" if you know who the title was most identified with…"

I don't necessarily see that as meaning that the old stars will be the Legion and the new will be...The Guardian or whomever, and that there will necessarily be a backup story. He never said "It’ll be pretty easy to guess who will be the OLD stars of "Adventure Comics"

It could be that there will be Legionnaires who have never been in Adventure before, or as Semi Transparent Fellow said, that there will be a rotating cast, with the Legion as ONE of the main features.

Another possibility is that this will be a tryout mag, to see which feature shows the best sales, and then possibly give them their own series. That way, we don't have 2 (oops, 3, counting the 31st century cartoon) Legion "failures" in a short time.

OR, perhaps (and I agree with Legionnaire888, bring him back), there will be some "Untold Tales" of Superboy's early days with the Legion."

The main thing is, there is hope. I have often felt that the Legion is living on borrowed time, and now that they have another chance, I 'll take it.

Long Live all them Legions!
#71906 11/19/08 04:12 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by doublechinner:
I've long wondered why we don't see a return to titles like Adventure with more than one feature in them. It would seem an obvious way of pooling loyal readerships of different characters that aren't, on their own, large enough to sustain a regular book. I wonder if there are diseconomies related to having more than 1 creative team?
Well they have kind of tried that recently...they've done miniseries recently using the names of old DC anthology titles like Strange Adventures, Mystery in Space, Tales of the Unexpected...they've even given the old House of Mystery the vertigo treatment recently...and the Brave and Bold also had a limited history as a sort of a secondary anthology title.

Many of these minis and series do feature multiple characters and usually pretty impressive creative talent...

None of them sold or are selling well unfortunately. I guess B&B is the most successful of them, and that's because it's primarily a team up book moreso than an anthology.

The thing is...the old anthology titles were often cheap with high page counts and the best part about them is they were often used as training grounds for young pros breaking into the business.

The current industry standards of expensive books, paper, talent, combined with limited page counts, extremely decompressed storytelling and a sort of star vehicle focus of promoting titles is what truly killed the anthology format.

It's amazing...we now have comics printed on the pricey paper designed to last forever...the problem is most of the time the story doesn't drive anyone to preserve it. And todays comics generally have no collector value whatsoever.

I'd kill to have newsprint and tryout books make a comeback using the anthology format with fat page counts...I think that's the only way it will work.

The big companies seem intent on squeezing every last dollar out of the marketplace while giving as little in return as possible, even if the longterm result is the destruction of the industry.

I don't think we're ever going to see comics become a cheap form of entertainment again, with the focus on them being cheap, and that's what would have to happen for the anthology format to be successful. Instead of making more money by giving customers more for their money...the companies now want to get as much money as possible for as little work and product as possible. They use bignames, fancy paper and month to month hooks to sell things now...not giving you as many hours of entertainment as possible as cheaply as possible.

#71907 11/19/08 04:32 AM
Active
Active
BTW, my pick for a franchise to share the Adventure title with the Legion(if there has to be one) is the Spectre. Sci-Fi and Horror...you'd have a bigger potential audience with the combined genres than you would with a single genre theme IMO. That single genre theme concept has been a sales disaster in every recent attempt at an anthology revival.

#71908 11/19/08 08:44 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I've long wondered why we don't see a return to titles like Adventure with more than one feature in them. It would seem an obvious way of pooling loyal readerships of different characters that aren't, on their own, large enough to sustain a regular book. I wonder if there are diseconomies related to having more than 1 creative team?
Well, anthologies or shared titles haven't been that succesful for a long time. Look at Marvel Comics Presents, for example, or even Action Comics back when it was weekly...

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#71909 11/19/08 11:54 AM
Active
Active
Ah, i don't know. I never was one for anthologies. I did never like short stories as well. In my eyes, it's not ever worth beginning to read a short story - you begin, it's already over, I don't like that.

The problem for me is that I am not interested in so many characters and heroes from the DCU - as I currently am very painfully getting aware of reading Final Crisis - that sharing the book, i would spend half of my money for nothing cause I don't care for Spectre, Aquaman, Atomic Knights or Challengers of the Unknown. Why should I spend 3,99 $ (price guessed) for ten pages of Legion and 30 pages of stuff I don't give a damn for?

So a big no from me... not that DC would care for what a longtime fan like me would be thinking...

#71910 11/19/08 03:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
You know, the timing and vaguery of this announcement makes me wonder if the new Adventure Comics might be the next weekly comic after Trinity.

Has DC said whether there will be a fourth weekly or not? If so, have they said what it will be about?

Just throwing this out there as a possibility....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#71911 11/19/08 04:24 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by LardLad:
You know, the timing and vaguery of this announcement makes me wonder if the new Adventure Comics might be the next weekly comic after Trinity.

Has DC said whether there will be a fourth weekly or not? If so, have they said what it will be about?

Just throwing this out there as a possibility....
Actually there might be something to this, I seem to remember back during one of the DC Nation panels Dan DiDio saying there were going to be two weeklies following Trinity and one of them being a famous title, so it could be Adventure which would also mean weekly Legion.

However what I think is more likely is that the rumours of Superman leaving Action for a while are true and he and Geoff Johns move over to Adventure and Action becomes a weekly again like it was in the Byrne days.

#71912 11/19/08 04:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hm, or perhaps a potential "Adventure Weekly" would break from the formula and rotate the lead feature from week to week. Legion one week, Aquaman the next, etc. This would allow one full creative team to potentially stay with the one feature throughout their lead's run.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#71913 11/20/08 02:28 AM
Leader
Leader
I thought the Action Weekly was Action WEAKly. I remember Secret Six, Phantom Lady and Wild Dog. I really can't say I liked it at all, except for the price-48 pages for $1.50.

#71914 11/20/08 05:38 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by LardLad:
Hm, or perhaps a potential "Adventure Weekly" would break from the formula and rotate the lead feature from week to week. Legion one week, Aquaman the next, etc. This would allow one full creative team to potentially stay with the one feature throughout their lead's run.
But it would bring dangerous shifts for sales of the magazine and be problematic for retailers as they would have to adjust their order depending on the contents of the issues.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#71915 11/23/08 07:31 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
[Linked Image]

#71916 11/28/08 02:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
BouncingBoy

I knew it was coming but was worried about how they would look.....

But come on.........

It's freaking Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy.!!!!

On TV.

Yipeee!!!!!!!

Faithfull
#71917 11/28/08 05:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!! ***LOVE*** it! LIVE-ACTION LEGION!!!! When does it air, I've got to clear my schedule!

Guess I'll be buying whatever season of SMALLVILLE on DVD this is, too...!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#71918 11/28/08 05:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And y'know what? The jackets work GREAT!!!!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#71919 11/30/08 08:21 PM
Leader
Leader
I just wish the Cosmic Boy guy didn't look stoned, or clueless or whatever that look is...

#71920 12/01/08 07:51 PM
Active
Active
I think two threads got merged or something...

Anyways, Didio has said that there will be a weekly after Trinity, but that in won't be 52 issues.

I hadn't thought of Adv as that weekly, but that would be cool and the big splash that I think the Legion really needs.

As for his "old stars and new stars" quote, I just took that to mean we will see familiar faces as well as new characters (so not just the Legionnaires we know, but knew inhabitants of the 31st century).

But it's hard to tell. I'm still waiting to see if the rumors of a Legion combined from all three Legions is true or not. I don't mind characters like Gates and Xs being reintroduced, but I really don't want to see the threeboot version of Timber Wolf interact with the Levitz Light Lass and the PZH Karate Kid. You know, keep the originials the originals (and no Snakie!). I'm sure that is what will happen and there's nothing to worry about, but then again I thought they would at least let Shooter finish his first arc (and with minimal editorial interferance) and that didn't happen.

Long Live the Legion!
#71921 12/02/08 07:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
I just wish the Cosmic Boy guy didn't look stoned, or clueless or whatever that look is...
Ryan Kennedy, the actor that will be portraying Cosmic Boy in the next episode of Smallville, is an up-and-coming young actor up here in Canada. His grunge look is his staple trademark and I guess the creators of the show didn't want to change his look too drastically thus making him unrecognizable to the fans.
We all know that Rokk Krinn is squeaky clean cut in the comics but maybe they will explain this in the episode.... this could be Rokk's way of blending in to the many 21st century's looks so to speak.

#71922 12/02/08 11:35 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by future king:
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
[b] I just wish the Cosmic Boy guy didn't look stoned, or clueless or whatever that look is...
Ryan Kennedy, the actor that will be portraying Cosmic Boy in the next episode of Smallville, is an up-and-coming young actor up here in Canada. His grunge look is his staple trademark and I guess the creators of the show didn't want to change his look too drastically thus making him unrecognizable to the fans.
We all know that Rokk Krinn is squeaky clean cut in the comics but maybe they will explain this in the episode.... this could be Rokk's way of blending in to the many 21st century's looks so to speak. [/b]
Maybe Johns is acknowledging Rokk Krinn after Venado Bay after all. It would be a wise idea, probably his best one yet.

#71923 12/07/08 09:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
"his grunge look"...didn't that go out when ole kirky shotgunned himself?

Anyway, i hope its good. Found a website that shows smallville and i have been looking back at some of the eps. Really liked the Black Canary thing. Much better than the other show that made her into a teenager. So, since Johns is writing it, i look forward to the Legion show.

Hated that the legion cartoon was cancelled. I've only ever seen any of it on youtube, but i would have liked to.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#71924 12/07/08 10:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The real problems with anthologies are loyalty and maintaining quality teams - it is too easy to farm work off to second-string talents than to keep first-stringers who usually would rather headline"regular" books.

The last DC anthology I enjoyed was the Prince Gavyn Starman run in Adventure 30idh years ago, but even that was dragged down by Plastic Man and later Aquaman.

Usually we get New Talent Showcase (called "No Talent Showcase" at the time), Action Comics Weakly, and the like.

On the other hand, Dark Horse Presents and Oni Double Feature did maintain high quality runs.

Alan Moore once commented that for British creators seeking to work in comics with grand ideas of writing sweeping epics starring all their favorites, having to start out doing 8-page stories in 2000 AD wasrather humbling - but good training, having to write beginnings, stories and resolutions in 8 pages.

Perhaps so many creators these days are so used to getting to go straight into Big sweeping Epics that they've lost touch with basic story. Aside from the recent Action arc and possibly L3W depending on how it goes, it seems to me the last decent multi-issue Legion story was way back in DnA. (Shooter is an improvement over Waid, but even so, it is hard to rationalize this story taking 14 issues)

Maybe a series of forced short-stories will rebuild talent and interest, rather than seeing lukewarm wanna-be-"epics" being churned out without rhyme or reason.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#71925 12/08/08 06:08 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Alan Moore once commented that for British creators seeking to work in comics with grand ideas of writing sweeping epics starring all their favorites, having to start out doing 8-page stories in 2000 AD wasrather humbling - but good training, having to write beginnings, stories and resolutions in 8 pages.

Perhaps so many creators these days are so used to getting to go straight into Big sweeping Epics that they've lost touch with basic story. Aside from the recent Action arc and possibly L3W depending on how it goes, it seems to me the last decent multi-issue Legion story was way back in DnA. (Shooter is an improvement over Waid, but even so, it is hard to rationalize this story taking 14 issues)

Maybe a series of forced short-stories will rebuild talent and interest, rather than seeing lukewarm wanna-be-"epics" being churned out without rhyme or reason.
That's a really cool insight.

I remember in creative writing being taught about the challenge of writing verse in iambic pentameter and all that, and, while it was pretty much useless, since nobody uses it today, it seemed like the people who paid attention to that segment made much tighter free verse afterwards.

It seems that you've got to learn how to color *inside* the lines before you can really excell at busting out of them...

Which gives me something to retort to my boss next time he says 'think outside the box.' "How about you learn to think *inside* the box before coming out here and annoying the rest of us with your nonsense secondhand proverbs?"

Yanno, if I ever wanna get fired. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#71926 12/08/08 03:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
years ago in art school, we were taught to learn the rules and master them - once we did that we were allowed to break them.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#71927 12/09/08 02:48 PM
Active
Active
Ok, I saw this posted on another board as spoilers from a Wizard interview with Dan Didio. I trust this poster well enough so I don't think this is wrong, but just want to let you all know I do not have a source to link to

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">According to the interview "We're launching a new Adventure Comics series and the first team and the first group in the first series of stories will be Mon-El and the Legionnaires."</span></span>

Long Live the Legion!
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,961
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pariscub
Pariscub
Edinburgh, Scotland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star