Roll Call
2 members (thoth lad, Ann Hebistand), 30 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/10/24 05:38 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Re: Adventure Comics starring the Legion of Super-Heroes
#71928 12/09/08 05:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Love Lar, so I'm happy if the info is true!

And I agree with Kent and Set ~ master the basics, then write like cummings or paint like Picasso.

Maybe the lack of training to tighten work into good short stories first, is why so many of the 'epics' feel like just so much filler and wasted space.

However, after reading this thread again, I don't think I want an anthology.
I'd just like a return to the old Adventure format that I remember with a main and usually ongoing Legion story arc followed by a short story that highlighted one or so Legionnaires.

I really wouldn't like something that didn't relate with the Legion at all.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#71929 12/09/08 10:47 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by stephbarton:
Ok, I saw this posted on another board as spoilers from a Wizard interview with Dan Didio. I trust this poster well enough so I don't think this is wrong, but just want to let you all know I do not have a source to link to

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">According to the interview "We're launching a new Adventure Comics series and the first team and the first group in the first series of stories will be Mon-El and the Legionnaires."</span></span>
Then it is Legion v4 all over again? Now, we just have to restore maturity and boldness to editorial and...

#71930 12/10/08 10:29 AM
Deputy
Deputy
My guess is a revisionist version of Adventure #300-305, how Mon-El was rescued from the Phantom Zone in the 30th/31st century and joined the the Legion. It's deja vu all over again -- but different.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the other "spoiler" here is that the Legion is not *the* star of new Adventure Comics, as Didio previously implied, but just the first of multiple features. How frequently and how long they'll appear in the title, and who the other homeless has-been stars will be, is anyone's guess at this point.

One thing is for sure -- Geoff Johns is not the Adventure writer. He gives his 2009 workload at Newarama , and in the aptly titled article "Future Uncertain for the Legion" , he says and I quote:
"I'm not quite sure where yet or how, but I'd like to do it. I really hope I get to work with these characters again."
Translation: Johns has no idea when he'll get to work with the Legion again (after Superman: Secret Origins).

Nice going, Mr. Didiot. Thanks to you, things haven't looked more dismal for the LSH since it was evicted from the old Adventure Comics in 1969.

#71931 12/10/08 11:31 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Tromium:
At the risk of stating the obvious, the other "spoiler" here is that the Legion is not *the* star of new Adventure Comics, as Didio previously implied, but just the first of multiple features.
Yeah, that's a surprise.

Oh wait. No it isn't. It's like the exact opposite of a surprise...

Ever notice that you never see Dan Didio and Satan at the same time?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#71932 12/10/08 12:24 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
...Ever notice that you never see Dan Didio and Satan at the same time?
[shoots tea out nose again --for the second time this week]

Set, you need to stop caring so much about things. You'd be happy then. Like me.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#71933 12/10/08 05:30 PM
Leader
Leader
LOL, Set, but Didio's too stupid to be Satan. Now George Bush on the other hand . . .

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#71934 12/10/08 06:18 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think Set is on to something. Who's the other guy, Geoff Johns?

[Linked Image]

#71935 12/10/08 06:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This IS all funny ~ the comments here.
Really, I love them.

But, I'm starting to get pissed (sorry, no other way to say it.)

I feel that DC has just used me.
All of these stories with Legionnaires in them.
Bits here and there, just so I buy the books, so I can know what's happening with the Legion.

And NOTHING is really happening.

They're going to keep me suckered in, buying books that don't really have much, if anything really, to do with my characters, my interests.

I'm about to get pretty grouchy myself!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#71936 12/10/08 07:55 PM
Candle:

...They're going to keep me suckered in, buying books that don't really have much, if anything really, to do with my characters, my interests...
Which is exactly what they were doing twenty years ago, which was a major factor in my prolonged separation from mainstream comics. Not the only factor, of course-- but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Somehow, I doubt that most people bail;Otherwise, the Big Two would have to stop the bait-and-switch because they wouldn't be making any money.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#71937 12/10/08 09:32 PM
Active
Active
The point is Dan DiDio has ran out of ideas and basically rests all his shots at Johns reviving anything he can't make work. Even though most of the times it simply doesn't happen because DC loves flip-flopping and doing nasty things (eg: Shooter) to whoever is NOT Johns.
So, until Johns finds time to work on the Legion, what we will see is testing grounds and things like ADV.
By the way, I just found out that ADV #0 is NOT simply the reprint, but rather a reprint plus 8 new pages with an unannounced team.

#71938 12/11/08 06:56 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yes, and in spite of denying it on Newsarama yesterday, Didio speaks of Mon-El and the Legion being the stars of Adventure Comics starting in March in the latest issue of Wizard.

Unless I misunderstood the interview

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#71939 12/11/08 08:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ricardo:
Originally posted by stephbarton:
[b] Ok, I saw this posted on another board as spoilers from a Wizard interview with Dan Didio. I trust this poster well enough so I don't think this is wrong, but just want to let you all know I do not have a source to link to

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">According to the interview "We're launching a new Adventure Comics series and the first team and the first group in the first series of stories will be Mon-El and the Legionnaires."</span></span>
Then it is Legion v4 all over again? Now, we just have to restore maturity and boldness to editorial and... [/b]
They said "Mon-El", not *shudder* "Valor".

#71940 12/11/08 08:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So Adventure Comics will become a springboard type series which will feature a team or hero for a few issues first then send them on their merry way to some other forum to continue their adventures afterwards. And Monel plus the Legion will headline this new series? Sounds pretty good to me. It's a very shrewd way of forcing Superman-centric fans to sample the Legion all over again, and maybe fall in love with them like we all did.
You know what, why not? We've all been witnesses to reboots which did not work with a #1 issue start, so this would be a nice way to "edge" in a new generation of fans thus giving a new version (or amalgamated via Lo3W)the best possible chance at success.

#71941 12/11/08 10:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Whether DC is operating via caution, logic or even laziness, I think this approach *could* be a vastly wiser move than simply launching a new #1.

...IF handled right.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#71942 12/11/08 12:31 PM
Active
Active
In his Q&A on Newsaram DiDio was posed this:

18: Any more information available on Adventure Comics? Can you confirm or deny that it will be the vehicle for the Legion of Super-Heroes?

DD: I can confirm and deny – that’s even better. I will tell you only one thing about it - Adventure Comics #0, even though it is reprinting the first appearance of Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, it will also have a six page “Omens and Origins” that will get everybody talking and address multiple questions that are out there right now.

So #0 is a 'must' folks

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#71943 12/11/08 01:31 PM
Leader
Leader
How am I supposed to tell my comic shop to order/hold only the Adventures that feature the Legion for me?

I hate this idea.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#71944 12/11/08 02:03 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Adventure Comics #0, even though it is reprinting the first appearance of Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, it will also have a six page “Omens and Origins” that will get everybody talking and address multiple questions that are out there right now.

So #0 is a 'must' folks
All the "Omens and Origins" issues in February 2009, of which Adventure #0 is one, will include a back-up story narrated by a rogue Guardian by the name of "Scar", and all portend DC's next big Summer "movie" event, Blackest Night.

Imo, DC should be paying *us* $1.00 each for reading 6 pages of advertising Hype.

EDIT: At best, we might find out which dead Legionnaires will show up in Blackest Night.

#71945 12/11/08 02:23 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I definitely plan to ask my comic book shops guys if they saw a lot of people pick up the Legion origin that weren't already going to. What I mean is, will this really get *new* readers interested in the classic Legion story?

I know I'll buy it, but I basically have the thing memorized at this point.

#71946 12/11/08 06:00 PM
Active
Active
I don't believe that reprinting the first legion story will boost sales. I mean, let's be honest... the first story is not among the best of Legion stories, we all kind of like it but... for mostly nostalgic reasons, don't we??? Don't we????

Or is this considered blasphemy on this board smile ???

#71947 12/11/08 06:03 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
How am I supposed to tell my comic shop to order/hold only the Adventures that feature the Legion for me?

I hate this idea.
By getting the monthly Previews I for my part am exactly planning which issues I will be getting three months in advance. I don't have a chance to get to the shop regularly, so that's the only option not to miss something important. I'm quite optimistic that Legion content will be mentioned in the Previews.

#71948 12/12/08 01:13 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Chemical King:
I don't believe that reprinting the first legion story will boost sales. I mean, let's be honest... the first story is not among the best of Legion stories, we all kind of like it but... for mostly nostalgic reasons, don't we??? Don't we????

Or is this considered blasphemy on this board smile ???
Well, the only way we can know is if Legion Worlders go into comic shops and ask the guys working there (while taking notes mind you) who exactly was buying the issue. Then we need to cross reference our notes, do the same each month, and trend and develop the numbers over time in an actuarial model to come up with our answer.

But the story is pretty groovy, so yes, it is blasphemous to talk bad about it shake . Ten post demirits for you Chem. laugh

#71949 12/12/08 01:17 PM
It would be more fun if everyone practiced talking like Comic Book Guy from you-know-where. Then we could each write our own blasphemous, totally-off-canon version of how the team got started and do a sort of flash-mob performance piece where we each stand outside our favorite comic shop and read our version out loud until the cops come to take us away.

I only know of one comic shop near me, and it's teeming with stick-shaped art farts who wear black all the time. So that should make the performance doubly cool. I think I'll be fully-dressed, but covered in a giant mylar bag, too. That'll look awesome on the eleven o'clock news.

#71950 12/12/08 02:54 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I actually am near a really great comic book store that is a well-run business, friendly and open to newcomers. Its like going into a CD store.

Then there's a second comic book store I go to every once in awhile to see if they have back issues I need. Its like some weird guy's basement. The place is a dump. Boxes everywhere, etc.--definitely not a business. Random weird comic book TV shows from the 70's on TV. Just a creepy find, very unwelcoming. Those are the kind of places hurting the comic book industry since the major companies are so intent on relying on the direct market.

#71951 12/12/08 05:10 PM
Ah, CK, I shouldn't bellyache. The store in question is actually very nice looking. I've only been in there to pick up bags so I could help mr_cleome ebay some stuff that he wasn't planning on reading again.

It's just that it's so... alternative-looking. I have this knawing fear that if I asked where the superhero stuff was, I'd be ejected. Or at least they'd make me pay a fine or something.

#71952 12/12/08 09:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The store I go to is called the Comics Dungeon. The people there are very nice. The place is only a little dungeon-y, which gives it character. I prefer that over the bland strip-mallish places. I'll have to go talk to them about what I should do about getting the Legion appearances I want. This is why I started the AR Legion Appearances 2009 thread.

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,240
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Bedlam Lad
Bedlam Lad
Bradford, UK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star