Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/21/24 03:08 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 01:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes 37(Spoilers)
#76087 01/03/08 11:01 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Add me to the bandwagon of lovers of Triton, Iron Butt Imra, and this new direction/team. I lost steam early in the threeboot (issue three) and it's nice to have it back.

When it comes to new costumes, I'm a mixed bag. There were a few Kitson designs I didn't find that interesting (Brainy). On the other hand some of my favorite designs (Imra, Garth, and Tinya) appear to be on their way out or getting modified. It'll be interesting to see which outfits glimpsed from the cover come to pass as is and which have some alterations before hitting the interior pages. Despite mild apprehension I'm willing to give them a shot.

Garth making mistakes as leader was fun, though I do hope he grows into his role quick.

I liked Val a bit better here. Hopefully we'll see a balance between the preboot hothead and the more modest threeboot version.

I've never been sold on the 'Projectra Hilton' angle but this issue I enjoyed its handling, though it might just be runover sympathy for her current plight.

Shooter is on the path of converting me to a threeboot Lyle fan (or at least not hating him completely), which I thought was impossible. His crush here was charming.

#76088 01/04/08 09:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Future, I agree about Lyle. I hated him before but he was pretty cool this issue.

#76089 01/04/08 11:16 AM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
hey guys, thanks again for the support!
Tromium, I'm not sure when Jim plans to use Dreamboy, I'm wrapping up 39 and still no signs of him...

Owl Lad, it's been insanely cold here lately making dog walking not the most enjoyable thing to do. I tend to have a new fave every issue. I'm still getting used to a lot of the characters so I'm still finding my "look" for them which I think will probably evolve naturally. But Lately I've looked forward to drawing Invisible Kid, Ultra Boy, and Saturn Girl. I'm also enjoying creating loads of new characters! As a fan I enjoy seeing new creations, and Jim and I have lots in store for you folks!

and I like your SaM a lot better! I hadn't even thought of that, I thought we'd forver be S&M.

My vote goes for SaM, but thats up to you folks!

Future, I'm with you on the costumes. It really is a tough balancing act with some of the current ones always being someones favourite, but If a few gets new duds, we can't ignore the other kids laugh

#76090 01/04/08 09:52 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Funny, I never thought of the original Val as a hothead. I always read him as thoughtful and disciplined, analyzing an opponent's weaknesses and looking for the path to victory. Maybe his "astound this, Stone Face" attack on Darkseid was hot-headed, but then, it wasn't like taking some more time to think about it would have yielded an effective attack on Darkseid. I also don't think he was particularly passive in the 3boot. His very first appearance involved knocking down a wall and accosting a bunch of diplomats. He may have looked "modest" in the Phantom Girl story, but shyness in front a girl doesn't equate to modesty in general. Sure, he looked all calm in the scenes training U-Boy, but the 3-Boot U-Boy makes the Tazmanian Devil look like St. Francis of Assisi.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#76091 01/06/08 03:12 AM
Active
Active
I just read it. It was awesome. IMO Shooter is the best Legion writer ever and he showed why immediately in this issue. I'm not going to go into an indepth analysis of what he does because I just want to be a fan of the Legion again...I miss that.

But I will say what Shooter does that IMO, almost every other writer has not done, including Paul Levitz is develop the characters without doing it at the expense of the fact that the Legion has a huge fantastic and technologically sophisticated Universe they occupy....even compared to the mainstream comic universes of DC and Marvel.

He may not be on the cutting edge of language or even tech...but in his sci-fi writing you feel the possibilities are endless...and he does it while doing characterization along the way.

A major problem I have had with the Legion is that each character gets their alotted block of development time and by the time you get done doing that with 15-20 characters, the sci-fi elements have been lost and it's a just a drama.

Levitz was successful with that...but no one else has been IMO.

It's just too manufactured...and I think just about every writer to follow Levitz has been trying to imitate his method...even Waid who cites Shooter as his major influence basically wrote Legion stories in the same manner as Levitz.

Levitz pulled it off, but he had a great opening arc to kick off his second tenure on the book, one of the best arcs ever, and it gave the book a huge momentum that lasted years...but the book still had a lumbering pace late in his tenure. So what we've had is a bunch of writers trying to write a similar Legion to Levitz...but without that all time great opening arc..and it just hasn't held it's audience. It's just been another team book to me...and not a particularly fun or exciting one to read.

It takes a great writer to do what Shooter does in the amount of pages Shooter does it in...it definitely hearkens back to his debut in the Silver Age and the pace with which they told stories back then...but he's capable of doing much more complex, creative, and even fun stories at that pace than just about any modern writer.

He's a great writer, as unique in his way as Alan Moore is in his. It wasn't a fluke that he was a prodigy in the comics field, the guy is an extremely gifted storyteller...

#76092 01/06/08 03:22 AM
Active
Active
Francis...I think your art was awesome and you are continuing the trend of great artists to work on this book. Legion fans have been extremely lucky in the art department of the book.

I'm sure you appreciate constructive criticism as much as the next guy...but I just don't really have any.

And I'm not just saying that for the heck of it...we've been really lucky with the artists.

I do have a question though...It looked to me almost like you changed your style depending on the setting...the girl on Triton and those fight scenes almost seemed like Anime and the KK segment seemed more like a slick futuristic style...it was almost like there were two different artists drawing the segments until a Legionaire was shown..

I don't know if it was intentional on your part but it was pretty cool.

Maybe it's just me...

#76093 01/07/08 02:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey Francis, any plans to draw Dream Girl in the near future??? smile
I think I speak for everyone on here when I say I really miss seeing her as part of the regular team. She also has one the best costumes in the Kitson designs (and one of the nicest since the history of the character).

#76094 01/07/08 03:01 PM
Active
Active
So finally I got to read the issue as well - and I liked it too. It was a decent start of Shotters third run, decent but not spectacular.

Many elements let me hope that the pointless Waid Legion will finally be actually going somewhere. I am very thrilled to find out who the seven new "members" will be and am quite sure that there will be some familiar faces among them.

I liked the portrayal of Tinya and Ayla, two of my alltime favorites who felt a little bit more like themselves for the first time in years. Garth having trouble coping with leadership is a familiar and well-liked story element too. I did not care much for what we saw of the "bad guys", but I guess that we will have to wait for about five-six issues anyway to accurately evaluating the new story.

As for the art, I thought it looked good. It was not too Manga for me, which is probably because it was not in Black and White and most of the pages really looked power- and colourful smile Tinyas "Bikini" shot was another highlight, customer service is very Manga but hey, who could not love a beautiful girl wink

So all in all, I'm staying on board for the ride, let's see where it will be leading!

#76095 01/07/08 06:31 PM
Active
Active
I'm going to have to agree with jimgallager here (*gasp*) and reserve any real judgment until we get a few issues into the run. I will say I thought it was okay, I didn't want to re-read it again right away like I have a tendency to do when I am really blown away by something. The art seems to waver between really good and mediocre. I'm not crazy about the cartoony approach to the faces in some panels I just never been able to get into that style.

I have to say I really don't like Karate Kid depicted as yet another steroid freak with an anger management problem (I mean come on don't we have enough of these types in the comic universes as it is?). Martial arts require calm detachment and inner peace to focus the mind and KK has never relied on being a strong man, he's subtle, so this take on him seems incongruous for the character on many levels.

Like I said, I'll read a few more issues before I decide how much I like it.

Is that a moon?
#76096 01/07/08 07:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It did seem to me, the middle page of a middle chapter of a book, not the usual opening issue for a new author.

Like a few others I think this story won't have much impact on me until a few more issues.

The art was much brighter and more dynamic than in the on-line previews. Very clean, lots of detail. Imra is gorgeous though it may take a few issues until this "manga?" style feels normal to me. I can't see me ever being a fan of "punch-throughs" and thick necks. Different strokes.

#76097 01/08/08 07:45 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Leaping into a story in progress and making the reader catch up can work, and Shooter almost makes it work here, but it was not perfect. As much as bedard smoothed waters post-Waid, there is still a lot of debris to wade through (no pun intended), and Shooter begins this process, combined with a new story, combined with (re)staking out the characters on his own terms well enough. It was not a stellar fist installment, but it was both competent and compelling enough, and still well above the average for v.5 in general.

Val seemed much more of a pick-up of Shooter's prior version than Threeboot Val, but I'm okay with that. Intentionally or not, he also looks less Asian than Kitson's. As a negative, Shooter's Lu also seems like a throwback to the nearly useless 70s Lu; I've grown accustomed to Lu being someone able to work together with herself as a kick-ass martial team in her own right.

Garth losing his grip also reminds me of preboot Garth's run as leader (late 70s/early 80s), when everything seemed to go wrong around him. This Garth has more of an excuse though - inexperience, Cos (& Brainy's) monopolization of power, and the ever-changing relations with government.

The most flawless element, to me, was Jeckie. While Waid's handling of her wasn't bad ("Daddy, they might finally let me do something important," plus her blossoming powers), only now does she really seem like Jeckie (measuring primarily against Levitz but also vs. early Shooter).

I'll give it a B-plus.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#76098 01/08/08 11:39 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
As a negative, Shooter's Lu also seems like a throwback to the nearly useless 70s Lu; I've grown accustomed to Lu being someone able to work together with herself as a kick-ass martial team in her own right.

I'm not too worried about this as Shooter was the first to give Lu a real personality and make clever use of her powers as Duo Damsel. In a way, I think he was showing his affection for her by honoring her valiant effort here. He has never written for her with 3 bodies and I'm interested to see how he handles that aspect of the current character.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#76099 01/08/08 10:19 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
thanks again guys. future king, I'm not sure what Jim's plans are for Dream Girl, but rest assured there will be some new characters coming into the book laugh

#76100 01/08/08 10:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
fjm - oh please do keep torturing us like that! smile

#76101 01/09/08 06:11 PM
S
Active
Active
S
This issue was simply incredible. Jim and Francis did a fantastic job.

I am sincerely hoping that Glyco, or whatever her name is, isn't actually dead, because I really like(d) her. Shooter wouldn't have spent so many pages on her if she was just going to get killed... right?

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#76102 01/09/08 08:05 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I've been saying this all over the internet, but my theory is that, since Triton Girl has some kind of metabolic powers, it wouldn't be unusual if she could put herself in some kind of suspended-animation state during the kind of oppressive conditions that surrounded the attack of the Pointy Purple Monster.

#76103 01/10/08 07:52 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
The metabolic powers of Glyco would be an interesting power. We saw a bit of that years ago when Chemical King increased his own metabolic rate during a hand-to-hand fight and temporarily gained super strength. Also, a little bit of Stone Boy thrown in with his suspended animation rock state.

I vote to call her Dynamo, or Dynamo Kid. Make her a Legionnaire!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#76104 01/10/08 08:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I would not object to her membership.

I'd prefer the Glyco name to any retroist name, though.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#76105 01/10/08 04:55 PM
Reservist
Reservist
kid DYNAMO!!!
Descendant of James Evans, Jr.

So what.
#76106 01/10/08 06:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What did I miss with this "Glyco?" Didn't she die?

Guess I need to go reread.

#76107 01/10/08 06:31 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Glyco.

Fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more than other spaceship insurance.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#76108 01/10/08 07:20 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

Invisible Kid said she died. But a bunch of us are figuring that she got so much screen time in that issue that it's likely she was being introduced for future use. So now we're figuring out ways she might not really be dead.

#76109 01/12/08 09:50 AM
Active
Active

So did Wildfire in his 1st appearance.

#76110 01/13/08 08:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Matthew E:
[b]What did I miss with this "Glyco?" Didn't she die?

Invisible Kid said she died. But a bunch of us are figuring that she got so much screen time in that issue that it's likely she was being introduced for future use. So now we're figuring out ways she might not really be dead.[/b]
Well, count me in on the bandwagon. One of the better character introductions in a long while, though I could do without the near rape scene.

#76111 01/13/08 08:47 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
...I vote to call her Dynamo, or Dynamo Kid...
What about Amp Girl or Calorie Queen?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,551
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Annoying Lad, DanteSF, Daulton Tripman, lancesrealm
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Frog King
Frog King
Berlin
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star