Roll Call
0 members (), 12 Murran Spies, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/30/24 04:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/30/24 07:24 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/30/24 05:50 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/30/24 04:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/30/24 04:51 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 29 May 24
by razsolo - 05/30/24 04:51 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 05/29/24 06:50 PM
"Death of a Legionnaire" -- LSH fan comic (DrakeB3004)
by DrakeB3004 - 05/29/24 09:51 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 86 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge #766843 03/31/13 09:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think they're thinning out way to much, trying to give everyone down to the eunuch, a major story.

My favorite of the new stories I think would be Arya's by far.

Personal tastes I suppose, but Snow's story seems to have died on the vine, there wasn't near enough of Daenerys', she should be a player by now and I don't even recall the name of the guy that attacked the castle. The whole iron prince story? I think you could wipe that out entirely and nothing would change.

The siege was cool though.

Ultra Jorge #766846 03/31/13 10:11 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm still not up to date on GoT....one of my coworkers has the first two seasons on DVD and will be lending them to us when he is finished watching them.

In the meanwhile we PVRed the first episode of a new series "Orphan Black" last night. I'm not working on Tuesday, so we are going to watch it on Monday night....Also Dr.Who has started up again smile

Blockade Boy #766880 03/31/13 04:31 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
I think they're thinning out way to much, trying to give everyone down to the eunuch, a major story.

I think that's a big part of the show's appeal, actually. So many characters to follow on their own fascinating personal journies.

And, MAN--Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister absolutely STEALS every scene he's in! Tyrion is such a unique and multi-faceted character, possibly the best character on television!

The siege--the only episode to date where the series has focused on one storyline. I noticed it was written by the whole saga's author George R.R. Martin. It was brilliant with Tyrion front and center. Tyrion has to fight for every bit of respect that he gets. It was sad to see everything taken away from him by his trampy sister and his sickening nephew after all Tyrion had done. I've no doubt that Tyrion will rise again, though.

And what can you say about Sean Bean? Is he the best at playing doomed characters or what? Maybe he'll fare better in his next fantasy series?!?! smile

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #766883 03/31/13 05:14 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Tyrion is my favorite character in the books, which are jam packed with incredible characters (many not yet on the show). The crisp writing and simply amazing job by Dinklage are able to easily translate the greatness of Tyrion without missing a beat.

I agree with Lardy that the far-reaching range of characters and complex plots make the show so appealing. I can't imagine how they'll get to it all!

The Siege ep worked so well because of the tight focus. The awesome Bronn / Hound scene was something Martin added in just for the show. Bronn plays a smaller role in the books but the actor brought him to life so much that Martin purposely wanted to expand his part. I thought it was one of the best moments in the season. The real star though was Tyrion, as Lardy says. This was my favorite chapter in book 2 and they captured his bravery so well in the show too. And then his utter disappointment and sense of betrayal as he's pushed aside after saving them all.

Ultra Jorge #766886 03/31/13 05:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Tyrion's romance with Shae is also very touching, in my mind the most well-developed romance so far on the show. Seeing them together in the siege's aftermath was a big moment.

The stories of Ned Stark's younger children, Arya and Bran, are just awesome to behold. Arya particularly is so resourceful and determined not to live the typical female role in a noble family. I think it's hers and Tyrion's stories that I most look forward to seeing every episode.

Lard Lad #766894 03/31/13 07:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

I think that's a big part of the show's appeal, actually. So many characters to follow on their own fascinating personal journies.

Yeah, I suppose. I don't read any fan boards for it to know.

I imagine they'll adapt the writing to whichever consensus works best for the ratings. Having young people in power and being willing to kill off characters bodes well for longevity I imagine, kind of like a soap opera is never meant to "end."

That's probably the main reason I'm not enjoying the pace. I see it as a story that should end but I don't think any family is meant to ever "win." It's meant to go on with the Lanisters in power as long as people buy the books and watch the show.

Ultra Jorge #767016 04/02/13 08:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The season premiere for Game of Thrones was pretty good. More of a catch-up episode to show where most of the players are at, and set things in motion for the stories to come. I want more with the Stark wolves, but my wife says that subplot still hasn't played out yet in the books.

Ultra Jorge #767120 04/02/13 09:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I got to see the premiere of GoT S3 myself. Not bad, but kinda slow. I especially missed seeing Arya, Bran or Brienne and their respective threads. One thing I know very well, however, is that each episode is one-tenth of the story they want to tell for the season, so it's all in service to the larger plot.

Ultra Jorge #767466 04/05/13 06:40 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
We've been having trouble keeping up with GoT (keep forgetting to set the PVR to record all new episodes), so today I picked up the first two seasons on DVD

Ultra Jorge #767470 04/05/13 07:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
I just subscribed to HBO, just so I can catch the rest of GoT season 3. I figure $10/month ain't too steep, and I can watch other stuff too. And when the season's over, I'll drop it like a ton o' bricks!

Ultra Jorge #767523 04/06/13 11:41 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
You say that now Paladin, but you'll find a ton more than GoT to watch and end up keeping it smile

Ultra Jorge #767707 04/08/13 05:47 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Watched the first episodes of Orphan Black and Ripper Street on BBC America. Both were brilliant! Orphan Black is just starting, while RS has been out for awhile. Anyone else watch these?

My wife and I are currently getting caught up on Spartacus as well. It's amazing how historically accurate it is--and how nothing is sugar-coated. Really well done, though the brutality is not for the faint of heart.

Ultra Jorge #767763 04/08/13 09:03 PM
Active
Active
Liking Orphan Black a lot! Hat is off to Tatiana Maslany for the different roles (5 so far!) she's playing!

Cobalt Kid #767950 04/11/13 05:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Watched the first episodes of Orphan Black and Ripper Street on BBC America. Both were brilliant! Orphan Black is just starting, while RS has been out for awhile. Anyone else watch these?

Watched the first coupla eps of Orphan Black yesterday. Purty good! A resourceful lead female character tackling dual storylines: taking over someone else's life and figuring out why there are so many ladies running around identical to her. Good supporting characters in Beth's partner, Sarah's gay best friend and all the dupes we've seen so far.

Originally Posted by kenaustin
Liking Orphan Black a lot! Hat is off to Tatiana Maslany for the different roles (5 so far!) she's playing!

Plus, we get to see her (mostly) naked! Hot sex scene in episode one! drool

My wife and I are currently getting caught up on Spartacus as well. It's amazing how historically accurate it is--and how nothing is sugar-coated. Really well done, though the brutality is not for the faint of heart.

I saw the first episode of, I believe, the current season a coupla months ago when that episode only was offered free on my provider. Gotta say, the violence/blood spatter was a little over the top for my tastes. The dialogue style also grated somewhat. (Basically, they mostly drop prepositions.) Still, if given the chance to see more in the future, I'd probably be up for it.

Ultra Jorge #767951 04/11/13 05:40 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I believe what they are trying I accomplish with the speech patterns is make it a direct translation from ancient Latin. This way the directness and forcefulness of the Roman world gets across better. It works better when you're watching several at a clip.

Ultra Jorge #768182 04/15/13 12:21 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Anyone planning on watching Defiance? It starts tonight

Ultra Jorge #768222 04/15/13 10:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Planning to catch it On Demand some time this week.

Cobalt Kid #768236 04/16/13 09:58 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I believe what they are trying I accomplish with the speech patterns is make it a direct translation from ancient Latin. This way the directness and forcefulness of the Roman world gets across better. It works better when you're watching several at a clip.

I'm actually a big fan of the odd speech patterns. It really sets the show apart, IMO.

I was also a huge fan of a similar convention in the short-lived TV series Kings, which can be found occasionally on Netflix or Hulu. The 'king' of the shows fictional monarchy affects an unusual way of speaking (apparently developed by his wife) to help set him apart, and it's kind of cool.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #768455 04/18/13 03:06 PM
Active
Active
re: Orphan Black

As Pogo once said...
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Wow...Russian(?), blonde, and homicidal, "Angry Angel" is the newest clone!

I liked they way Sarah was clueless about police procedures, and how to wear a gun. Also the way Art assumes she's gun shy from the shooting when he notices the clips in her back pocket.

Favorite Felix "Fee" quote of the show, "My work here is done...Adios, Dragsters!"
When leaving after having cross-dressed up Alison's kids.

Ultra Jorge #768459 04/18/13 04:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I just watched Orphan Black episode one! Thanks for the tip guys.

Pretty good stuff.

Lard Lad #768461 04/18/13 05:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Paladin

I saw the first episode of, I believe, the current season a coupla months ago when that episode only was offered free on my provider. Gotta say, the violence/blood spatter was a little over the top for my tastes. The dialogue style also grated somewhat. (Basically, they mostly drop prepositions.) Still, if given the chance to see more in the future, I'd probably be up for it.

There is not nearly as much sex as the first series either!

I've been watching Vikings on the History channel, most of their programmes are only remotely related to history but ... Vikings is ok, except it reminds me a lot of Spartacus without all the great sex and/or action scenes.

Last edited by Power Boy; 04/18/13 05:22 PM.
Ultra Jorge #768466 04/18/13 06:51 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
I caught Defiance last night. While it seems like a familiar mish-mash of elements of other sci-fi shows/movies (plus some "Romeo and Jul;iet") we've seen before, the characters and conflicts are definitely interesting enough to bring me back for more. Hopefully, they didn't blow their load in the first episode and follow up with weaksauce like many other recent and failed sci-fi-tinged launches.

I'm also into Bates Motel. Theit five eps into a ten-ep season, and I think its a nice blend of soap opera, suspense and weirdness. It's odd seeing Norman Bates and his living mother (plus a half-brother!) in a modern setting, but it's working for me. I think if any of you catch the first ep, you'll have a good idea of whether you'd like it or not.

It's funny how many current first-run genre shows I'm enjoying right now that are helping me not miss Walking Dead so much....

Saturdays: Doctor Who and Orphan Black

Sundays: Once Upon a Time and Game of Thrones

Mondays: Defiance and Bates Motel

Wednesdays: Arrow

Add in Survivor and this is the most new television I've consumed on a weekly basis in quite some time! That's not even counting the recently-concluded seasons of TWD, Dallas and Being Human. Plus, Under the Dome and some other interesting-looking things are coming up for the summer!

Ultra Jorge #768478 04/18/13 07:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The splashy bloody gore on Spartacus dosn't bother me so much because it is so obviously digital .. I like my violence non realistic ... if it's too realistic or the acting is too realistic like American Horror Story ... then I just get freaked out.

Cobalt Kid #768483 04/18/13 07:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

You get used to it too, surprisingly.

Ultra Jorge #768486 04/18/13 07:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The first season was like a music video ... and the all of a sudden towards the last few episodes ... S.G.R. real real.

laugh

Then the poor guy died, and there was some juggling but I think the prequel was pretty good, the only thing i wish was that new Spartacus and Gannicus had a season to go at before they became pals. There was some friction but not all out battle.

Could've been a season worth of action IMO.

I think it suffered from some case juggling of Crixus' love interest too. frown

Page 50 of 86 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,803
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Peck's Bad Boy?
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star