Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/21/24 03:08 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 01:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives #1
Eryk Davis Ester #773443 06/04/13 01:49 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
It's actually kind of weird that, despite the lad/lass/boy/girl/kid names, the team's youth is almost never mentioned throughout the Silver Age.

Eryk Davis Ester #773807 06/07/13 12:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I suppose they didn't need to. Until the end of the Adventure Era, the Legionnaires all looked quite young.

Eryk Davis Ester #774355 06/09/13 01:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Adventure #301

Lester Spiffany-- a Legion World fan favorite, tries to buy his way on to the team! But no super-powers means no admittance!

I just find it hilarious how Lester's "You're all stupid" line is delivered via speech balloon from his ship. I can just imagine an infuriated Lester so mad that he turns his gazillion-credit speakers up full volume and lets the whole of Metropolis hear how mad he is.

LesterSpiffany

Eryk Davis Ester #774672 06/10/13 08:08 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
This thread could really benefit from a posting of Sketch Lad's classic Lester drawing!

Eryk Davis Ester #798183 01/05/14 03:20 PM
Reservist
Reservist
It kind of feels like ol' Uncle Mort just said, "Crap! We keep getting letters by kids wanting a return of this Legion of Super-Heroes group. Let's bring 'em back in the most incoherently bad story about them we can come up with, and if the kids still like them, we know we've got a hit on our hands!"

I'm rather late to the party here as I'm just now getting the time to do a re-read of Archives #1.

On Adv 267 - if you eliminate all references to the Legion and time travel from the story and insert generic alien fans of Superboy in place of the Legion, the story comes across as not so nonsensical (well for a silver age Mort story).

I wonder if the script for this story was already in the can (or perhaps was a re-write of an old Superboy tale) and Mort was wanting to rush out a second Legion appearance due to fan demand. So maybe he had the Legion squeezed in to this story at the last minute for better or worse as editorial fiat.

Eryk Davis Ester #798186 01/05/14 03:34 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Superboy #86

Fun fact: I remember being really annoyed that the first Archive completely lacked information on which issue each story came from, so my copy has issue numbers written in pencil by me on the first page of every story!

That crazy Superboy! Not only is he responsible for Lex Luthor going bald, but he actually saved strands on Lex's hair as a trophy! No wonder Lex hates him!

Not sure if this is the first in-story mention of the "L.L." thing, but it's an iconic element! And the first appearance of Legionnaire statuettes! (Given to him "after an adventure on Superboy Planet, which they had built in my honor!"; way to whitewash that crazy story!)

Luthor, meanwhile, discovers how to bring stone to life! Thus confimring my longheld theory that Blok has been a Luthor plant all along!

Everything's quiet in the city, so let's randomly gaze up check out what going on in space! An asteroid with a giant hand growing out it? Seems suspicious.

Living kryptonite men! I love Luthor smashing the statue and cheering on the kryptonite men as they attack Superboy!

I never realized before how randomly pointless the Lana-breaks-into-Luthor's-lab scene is. Four panels to establish the existence of a secret lever that could defeat Luthor's plan, which doesn't even get used in the story! Oh well.

You would think the power outage would have the same effect as pulling the lever, though. Wouldn't Lex's machines stop working, and thus the kryptonite men stop working? Oh well.

I bet Luthor created some type of battery backup device for fail over and keep everything in his lab functioning if the power went out. The lever was probably just there to destroy the device if it got out of his control or he was discovered, etc.

Invisible Brainiac #798190 01/05/14 03:41 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I wonder what Clark/Superboy would have said if someone had ever stumbled upon his collection of Legion statuettes.

"Um, er... they're my uncle's! He's kind of weird that way."

Not to mention his large collection of robots too.

Eryk Davis Ester #798199 01/05/14 05:26 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Adventure 282

Boy, it sure doesn't take much to convince Professor and Mrs. Lang to allow a strange boy to take their daughter to an alien planet in the future!

Did Lana's Mother make many appearances in silver age Superboy stories? For some reason I was thinking that Professor Lang was a widower in the silver age.

Cobalt Kid #798208 01/05/14 06:41 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Superboy #89 not only introduces a critical component of the Legion mythos, but a critical component to the Superman family in general, especially the Silver Age. Mon-El arrives in a classic story that is IMO excellent from start to finish. For the past decade, Superboy writers had done stories in which Superboy encounters a similarly powered boy, and with this story they have perfected it.

It also continues the long tradition of Superboy dealing with the innate loneliness of being Super. Here, we see him get one step closer to addressing it, which will culminate in the Pete Ross stories they are about to ensue.

Mon-El is magnificent. A classic costume--simply played with a reverse color scheme to Superboy--and by story's end he has a nice combination of power and pathos. What's amazing is how many times he shows up in Superman, Action, Jimmy Olsen and other places. I'm sure there are a few stories I haven't ever read and don't know about where he's shown up somewhere.

Evidently, Mon-El also has super-intelligence, explaining his quick learning of English and knowing what a riverboat is.

Btw, Papp is a really underrated artist. He does great facial expressions and very intricate backgrounds. His composition is actually reminiscent of Steve Ditko in that sense. You can see Superboy's eagerness to have a brother, which makes it all the more heartbreaking. At the end of part 1, when Krypto doesn't recognize Mon, Superboy's face is full of panic--you see he immediately knows he's been wrong but refuses to admit it to himself. One page later, he clearly is projecting his anger towards Mon after feeling so betrayed.

The Bob Cobb identity, and the Kent's commitment to the ruse, are pretty great. Mon looks exactly as you'd expect a traveling salesman to look in 30's.

Ah, the reason for the "Mon-El" moniker. Er, sounds good Clark.

Superboy's side trip to Ancient Egypt is pretty wild. I wish there were more of these. The history is a little funky--4,000 BC is a loooooong time ago. But hey, it's still awesome!

Btw, Miss Joyce is pretty hot!

Meanwhile, a gang of crooks is raining lead balls with a catapult down on Smallville. Which crooks do, from time to time, I guess.

But don't worry. That is downright plausible in comparison to the Jack in the Box Monster two pages later. Say what? Someone has to post that panel. It's batshit crazy in a way only the Metal Men and Wonder Woman usually achieved.

The final 4-5 pages hit the reader like a bucket of ice water. Superboy has made a tragic mistake and cost himself the chance for the brother he always wanted. Mon's story of meeting Jor-El and Lara is great, and adds yet another layer to the Superman mythos.

I wonder if the original plan was for Superman to cure Mon, and then it occurred to Uncle Mort that he would be a perfect fit in the Legion? Certainly seems that way.

I think this is also the first appearance of the Phantom Zone? It arrived as a throwaway concept yet is so rife with possibility that it immediately would be set to recurring use. It's a great idea too--the Superman writers should use it more often.

Robert Bernstein wrote this one, as he did a lot of Superboy and Adventure stories. He did a great job--while not a "true Legion" story, its the best written story yet (if you choose to ignore the catapulting lead balls and an alien weaponized jack in the box).

This is one of my favorite stories in this archive. It just works on so many levels. Superboy having a super-powered "brother"/best friend type just like Clark has Pete helps add depth to the character. One quibble I have is that I would like to see story take place over a few weeks instead of a few days prior to Mon-El going into the Phantom Zone. That would give more time for Superboy and Mon-El to bond.

I also find it interesting that they went with giving Superboy an older "brother" instead of a younger "brother". And Papp even made Mon-El a bit taller than Superboy. Probably Mort wanting to tap into that part of the readership who never had an older sibling but always wanted one.

Mon-El being 18 in this story is something that was rarely touched on in future stories - likely for the same reason they finally dropped the "one new member a year" gimmick. It works better to keep the Legionnaires' ages vague and instead just go with something like Mon-El is two earth years older than Superboy.

Cobalt Kid #798210 01/05/14 07:17 PM
Reservist
Reservist
"If there is a Legion of Super-Heroes, there MUST be a Legion of Super-Villains!". Perhaps the best foreshadowing ever in comics! And the promise made to fans didn't take long to come true--and boy, does it deliver.

- how about Mekt destroying Orphan City? And then threatening to kill a school bus full of kids? Viscous!

Beyond the fact of Supergirl living in an orphanage, I was surprised at how often orphans/orphanages come up in Mort's stories - even though in 30 years I've never encountered an active orphanage anywhere let alone tons of orphans.

I just did a little digging and apparently orphanages were pretty well on the way out by the late 50's, so Mort and his writers must have been using their life experiences growing up to influence their stories more so than current events of the time.

more info here
http://www.faqs.org/childhood/Me-Pa/Orphanages.html

Invisible Brainiac #798211 01/05/14 07:21 PM
Reservist
Reservist

Given the villain's intentions, it sure would have been a hard sell that Saturn Queen was really a good person. Seems like quite a stretch, but I can forgive that. I do like Saturn Queen being good.

Perhaps her turning good here was the reason why she never appeared as an LSV member until the TMK era, unlike with Lightning Lord and (I think) Cosmic King?

[/quote]

I think the first appearance of the "young" Cosmic King was the LSV story by Levitz where Karate Kid dies.

Cobalt Kid #798212 01/05/14 07:34 PM
Reservist
Reservist
When I reread Archives #1 last summer something that stuck out was how much I enjoyed the Tom Tanner story, otherwise known by its awesome title "Secret of the Seventh Superhero!".

This is my favorite story in Archives #1, though its really a Superboy story with an LSH cameo. It's just one of those classic, well done Superman stories that the Golden, Atomic and Silver Ages did so well. What I like most about it is Tom Tanner himself, who I wish we saw again. Though he starts off very cliched, he undergoes a true change in the story: he feels the love of a family and realizes how wonderful it is; he gains the respect of his piers; he shows a true and honest appreciation for learning (a true 1950's ideal) and he ultimately decides to do the right thing.

I guess this story was supposed to play with that thing where somewhere on earth there is someone who looks just like you. But what are the odds that there is someone on earth who looks exactly like a survivor from the planet Krypton.

I'm surprised someone (Geoff Johns maybe?) didn't pick up on this over the years and retroactively make Tom Tanner a visitor from a parallel earth. Imagine if Tom Tanner is really the Superboy from Earth 3 with amnesia.

Invisible Brainiac #798214 01/05/14 07:52 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
One thing I noticed about the silver age - almost anything that appears in a story will have some significance later on! As this story will illustrate:

Action 287 - Supergirl's Greatest Challenge

Good point. With all of the dicussion of stories with Legion cameos that didn't make it into this Archive, it might be fun to read all of the Mort-edited Super titles in publication order to really get a big picture view of the world building.

The flow of this story is really herky-jerky. You get the Legion doing a stadium show while waiting for Supergirl to arrive. Then as soon as she shows up, the Legion suddenly goes into all hand wringing mode that the solar system is in danger and only Supergirl can save them.

Klar Ken T5477 #798216 01/05/14 08:30 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

And one thing I miss in the Legion is all that "fascinatingly futuristic" random weird crap that was always showing up. Although we saw a little bit of that in 5YL; mostly reruns, though. (Blok on the Puppeteer Planetoid comes to mind.)

I think the lack of "fascinating futuristic" elements is one of the things that really made this last run by Levitz rather lackluster. There really were not very many elements in his stories that jumped out to the reader to remind him that hey this is the 31st century. Instead there was nothing to diferentiate the Legion from the latest Green Lantern Corp story, which was also set in present day DCU.

In Levitz' defense, it is hard today to imagine what the future will be like for story telling when "the future is now" in so many ways.

Also interesting is that I am finding the Superboy and Supergirl tales in this Archive to be doing a better job of playing up the future than the first few Siegel/Forte issues of the Legion's run in Adventure. Maybe the shifting from Supergirl's time (or in Superboy's case even further back in time) to the 30th century and then back to the 20th century really helps accentuate the future aspect of the Legion.

I also wonder if those Legion stories labeled as 21st century were more than just typos. Could Siegel have intentionally made a change and went with the 21st century to make it easier for him to come up with stories in a future only 100 years away instead of over 1000 years away?

Fat Cramer #798219 01/05/14 08:47 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
The Boy with Ultra-Powers!

There's something about statues in these comics. It continues to this day with the fallen Legionnaires' statues getting bigger and bigger. I'm reminded of the toppling of Sadam Hussein's statue by this opening page. Will mankind ever lose its love of statuary?

At the time, would readers have figured that Ultra Boy was from the Legion's time, or were spandex-clad youths showing up in Smallville from all corners of the galaxy?

Marla and Jo arrive in Smallville on the train. No doubt they traveled from their time bubble in the Gobi Desert. Oh, later we learn that the time globe is parked outside Metropolis, so the electrical interference problem must have gotten fixed.

If these texts were being spoken aloud, what effect would the ellipsis have? "No one must suspect we are ... (drum roll? ominous sound? confused sigh?) DIFFERENT!" And what a set up line for a story about two gay guys in Smallville in 1962.

Yet another time-spanning communication device, the cosmicscope.

It appears that Rimbor isn't up to speed on Earth history, since Jo has been tasked with discovering Superboy's identity. Jo sure is clean cut, compared to how he'll be portrayed in later years. I guess it will be quite a while before we see Marla again. I still can't get over their almost-matching costumes.

That Pete Ross is one enterprising youngster. Two jobs, one at school and one in Kent's store! Plus he's a noble guy, protecting Superboy's identity, and courageous, refusing to give in to a robber's threats. Yet all he gets is a coin from the future and an invite to a Legion meeting.

Three Superboy robots crammed in a closet! Kal assumes one of them saved Pete from the robber; do they just take off and patrol on their own?

Aww, poor Krypto. Always trying to help and all too often abused. There's Jo having a laugh about it; maybe he does have a bit of street gang in him after all. Nosy too, looking into Pete's safety deposit box.

Another Superboy signalling device, a flag. If you're not the White House, Pentagon or Chief Parker, you use the flag, not the flashing table lamp. Smallville's too small for a bat-signal type of device, which probably wouldn't show up in the daytime anyways.

Considering HWW's point that a focused plot is a better story, this certainly ranks as a better story. Everything that happens is related to discovering or hiding Superboy's secret identity. It's quite toned-down, in terms of space age/future craziness, but very coherent and smooth-flowing.

Another one of my favorite stories in this archive, and we have the awesomeness that is Curt Swan/George Klein artwork. This story seems like it might be a recycled plot from an older Superboy story. Anyone know? I wish I had my Adventure digests handy to reference the comments Levtiz made as each of these old stories were reprinted there.

Unlike the intro of Mon-El where Superboy gets a big brother figure, this story gives Superboy a buddy his own age and that (ultimately) will have close to the same power set as Superboy. And of course Ultra Boy and Pete hit it immediately. I wonder down the road whether Jo considers Kal-El or Pete as a closer friend?

Cobalt Kid #798230 01/05/14 10:56 PM
Reservist
Reservist

Adventure Comics #300 arrives en force, as the Legion gain their own feature at long last.

The other major "transition" in this story is the one Mon-El undergoes, as he transitions from a supporting character of the Superman titles to a full on member of the Legion. That begins here, as his early saga is coming close to its conclusion now. They should really make a Mon-El Archive or Showcase.

Some highlights:

- Imra doesn't hesitate to order Superboy around! And then: calm down Clark! Sheesh, no need for name calling. I note Garth sticks right up for her, too.

- er, Superboy seems to momentarily forget how time travel works when he suggests he'll cure Mon as Superman. So does Luthor with his reason for making Ulthro "Adult".

A decent story to kick off the Legion's run in Adventure. It's almost like a Cary Bates story in that Siegel uses only 4 Legionnaires (plus Superboy and Mon-El).

Every time I read that Superboy dialog where he shouts "you FOOL!" to Saturn Girl leaves me ROFTL laughing. How many times do you see someone yell at Imra like that let alone call her a fool.

That ending with Mon-El being able to leave the Zone temporarily and the bizarre dialog from Superboy makes me wonder if Siegel didn't have a good grasp of how time travel worked. But it also helped to underscore the need to address stuff like this with the eventual mindwiping by Saturn Girl.

Eryk Davis Ester #798250 01/06/14 02:50 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Adventure #301

There's tons of interesting-looking applicants here that we're not introduced to! Some hold that the one from the final panel, who is particularly inspired to keep trying by Chuck's story, is really Matter-Eater Lad, who will become a member a couple of issues later.

If I am remembering correctly, when this story was reprinted in the Adventure digest run, Levitz proclaimed on the text page that this was indeed Tenzil.

Fat Cramer #798251 01/06/14 03:21 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
The Fantastic Spy

Sun Boy and Lightning Lad have been injured in a rocket crash. They are operated on, fourth-dimensionallly, by Dr. Landro, who places healing capsules in their legs. They soon return to the Legion and the team sets about on various missions, only to realize that their must be a spy among them, sabotaging their efforts. Could it be new member Matter-Eater Lad?

My first thought was of Cobie, who so loves Dr. Landro's hot nurse.

Dr. Landro himself must surely be another L. L. character. Leonard? Lev? Loomis? We never got a name at all for the hot nurse.

It's still the 21st century.

The mineral Energite and element (?) Lurium are mentioned. Some enterprising fan must have done a periodic table of the Legionverse, but I've never seen one.

Cham changes into a voluptuous beauty and poses as disguised Cosmic Boy's wife, another great scene from Legion history.

The Legion agrees to essentially murder Meglaro, a villainous brain-in-a-globe character, by transporting him to 100,000,000 AD when the sun is dying and its planets are depopulated. It's okay, it was a Science Police order and, in the end, Superboy takes care of it.

Brainiac 5 struts his stuff with the formula ((FW21/17W) - 250 rogots), which turns out to be a head fake, but fools the other Legionnaires. What is a rogot? I love the idea of there being entirely different units of measurement in the future.

Brainy repeats his evil ancestor story. He's obsessed with it.

Matter-Eater Lad, suspected of being the traitor, flies away. His means of flight is neither evident nor explained. The very fact that he flees leads Cosmic Boy to conclude that he must be guilty. However, he is proven innocent in the end as the real traitor is revealed: a miniature man hidden within the healing capsule in Sun Boy's ankle! Dr. Landro was working with a team of villains all along!

This story is a chain of deceptions and mysteries (most of which seriously stretch the limits of disbelief), as both the bad guys and the Legionnaires try to outwit each other.

I think the real deception remains undisclosed: Dr. Landro's hot nurse was the mastermind behind it all. Observe how she evaded capture, nay, even suspicion. No doubt she was controlling Landro with blackmail or sex, and posed as his nurse when it served her evil purposes.

Who could she have been? And is she still on the loose, operating under deep cover in the shadowy underworld?

A couple things bug me about this otherwise entertaining story. First Garth and Dirk are supposed to be really banged up and in a bad way. Turns out apparently Dirk just had a sprained ankle and Garth just had a sprained knee, which is no big deal today. But here the guys have to remove their uniforms and go through elaborate surgery. There definitely must be more going on here than meets the eye with the Doctor and his sexy nurse.

Then there is the doomsday bomb, which Siegel alludes to being a future version of an atomic bomb. The Science Police just casually turn the bomb over to the Legion for transport. Then it is promptly stolen. And the Legion doesn't freak out that a doomsday weapon is on the loose, let alone throw all resources towards locating it. Really?

Eryk Davis Ester #798253 01/06/14 03:31 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Adventure 304

The basic plot motivator, a message from a heretofore unknown alien race that their computer has made a vague prediction that *some* Legionnaire will die foiling the invssion of Zaryan, just seems way too weak for the story.

Totally speculative here, but say a young Nura Nal had a vague vision a Legionnaire would die. She went to the High Seer, who forbid her to contact the Legion because she cannot prevent a vision from happening, etc. So Nura being resourceful, sends out a message to the Legion but making it look like it came from another world.

Eryk Davis Ester #798254 01/06/14 03:35 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I wondered about that as well. She threatens them with expulsion if they follow her... but wouldn't that require a vote of the entire membership?

Again, I think the story would work better if she'd stripped the other members of their powers temporarily, but then you'd have to find a way to make Garth immune.

It could be that Imra did not strip the others of their powers, do more serious mind control, etc so that if in the off chance she failed there would be other Legionnaires ready to go to defend Earth against Zaryan.

Eryk Davis Ester #798255 01/06/14 03:50 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Adventure #305

So, this is a bit of a lighter story after the dramatic events of last issue. Lightning Lad's death is referenced at the beginning of the story, demonstrating that it will have an ongoing effect on the series, but then we quickly move to an audition to take his spot in the Legion.

The core of the story revolves around the new applicant Marvel Lad and the mystery of his identity. We quickly discover that he has the powers of Superboy/Mon-El, without their vulnerabilities. Good thing Saturn Girl is suddenly called away by telepathic summons so that she can't read his mind to discover his identity! (For the record, I'd like to think she was in on the charade, and made up the lame excuse to leave so that no one would ask her to uncover his identity...)

If this was a modern day story, I would take the quick and sudden depature of Saturn Girl to her racing off to join the latest line-wide crossover mega-series and when she returns nothing will ever be the same lol.

Interesting that Superboy doesn't appear at some point in this story to help celebrate the permanent release from the Phantom Zone of his brother/best friend Mon-El. Was there ever a story published where Mon-El and Superboy have a long talk and Mon-El vents at Superboy for being the one who almost killed him (and for being in the Phantom Zone for 1000 years) for the lamest of reasons?

He Who Wanders #798256 01/06/14 03:57 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders

*Some* of them were loyal DC diehards. More of them liked DC Comics, but only as a secondary company. The reason was because for kids ages 11-13, they saw DC Comics as being mainly "for kids"...meaning kids younger than them. So kids age 7-10. They thought Marvel comics were more geared towards them.

This was not an across the board thing. He tells me that for the most part, Flash and Green Lantern were accepted as "cool" in 1962 and 1963 for early teens. But many were not. The worst of the worst though were the Superman comics, including the Legion. There were deemed simply not "old" enough for a 12 year old.

You reminded me that, even though I'm a dozen years younger than your dad and from the Midwest, the super-heroes were viewed more or less the same. Thanks to a cartoon show, everyone in my neighborhood knew the DC heroes, but everyone liked Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and even the Atom more than Superman.

Superman got to "hang out" with the cool heroes because they were all in the JLA, and so he became cool by association. smile

Most of the characters you list as cool were from Julie Schwartz' stable. On Julie's titles, he tended to have his team create more all-ages tales but write up to the audience. On Mort's titles, he tended to target the younger audience - both girls and boys. I wonder if that was intentional on DC's part to have their most prominent editors target different ages/demographics? Or maybe it was just different styles between the two editors.

Last edited by Colossal Boy; 01/06/14 03:58 PM.
Eryk Davis Ester #798286 01/06/14 08:40 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
^^I hadn't thought about those characters originating from Schwartz's editorship, but you're right, Colossal Boy. You're probably also right that Schwartz's books "wrote up" to the reader, though I wonder if the kids in my neighborhood were aware of this. Only one, that I knew of, collected comics besides me, and his collection was sporadic. (He did have a few early issues of JLA, though.) Most of us got to know the characters through the cartoon show.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Colossal Boy #798307 01/06/14 10:08 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Colossal Boy
I wondered about that as well. She threatens them with expulsion if they follow her... but wouldn't that require a vote of the entire membership?

Again, I think the story would work better if she'd stripped the other members of their powers temporarily, but then you'd have to find a way to make Garth immune.

It could be that Imra did not strip the others of their powers, do more serious mind control, etc so that if in the off chance she failed there would be other Legionnaires ready to go to defend Earth against Zaryan.

That sounds like Imra, and it's a very smart and practical plan. Besides, IIRC the prophecy only stated that one Legionnaire would die fighting Zaryan - once she had sacrificed herself she was probably confident nobody else would die, and the whole Legion could then go into battle and win. She just needed to delay them long enough for her to be able to sacrifice herself.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/06/14 10:09 PM.
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,552
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden