Roll Call
0 members (), 25 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Pattern Recognition
by rickshaw1 - 05/30/24 07:25 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by rickshaw1 - 05/30/24 07:07 PM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by rickshaw1 - 05/30/24 07:05 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/30/24 05:38 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/30/24 05:12 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/30/24 07:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dangling Plot Threads I hope Levitz resolves by Legion #23
Leather Wolf #773681 06/06/13 12:47 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
He seems to have forgotten the cardinal rule of Legion story-telling: when in doubt, just re-write something from Hamilton or Shooter! wink

Leather Wolf #773806 06/07/13 12:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Or have Brainy investigate and inexplicably blow stuff up!

Leather Wolf #773827 06/07/13 12:51 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
There's always the dangling plot thread of whatever happened to Paul's ability to write great Legion stories... sigh

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #773835 06/07/13 03:49 AM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Paladin
There's always the dangling plot thread of whatever happened to Paul's ability to write great Legion stories... sigh

It is perplexing. He had some very clever references to Diogenes and Panoptes and the like, and yet he's forgotten entirely how to write the characters voices (I thought Brande always talked that way!) or who is or isn't an orphan (getting both Imra and Garth's family situations wrong) or even what powers people have (Imra trying to use her telepathy to stop falling rocks and break through windows).

I understand that his run on World's Finest has been well-received, so I think it might be less a failure of ability as a failure of motivation. Whatever burning love he once had for the Legion has perhaps dimmed a bit, over the years.

I guess if I had one plot thread I'd like wrapped up, it's the situation with Gim and Yera. Did they really have a bad break up, or was it all part of a necessary deception preceding her departure on a secret mission to the past? If so, is Gim aware that it's all a big pretense, explaining why he never seemed to care that much that his wife had left and / or died?

Like Rokk and Lydda, and Jan and Shvaughn, I liked the idea of a Legionnaire dating and / or marrying someone who wasn't a fellow Legionnaire. The perplexing desire (particularly in the Silver Age) for any new female Legionnaire to be *immediately* paired off with a male Legionnaire (all the way up to Dawnstar, who had a Legion boyfriend picked out for her by the writers before she even became a member!), always made me feel like they were somehow considered Legion property, and not full-fledged people in their own right. I kind of like how, of the four new Legion ladies (Harmonia Li, Glorith, Dragonwing, Comet Queen), only Harmonia Li seems to have an immediate love interest thing going on (with Brainy).

(Well, not counting Comet Queen's crush on Bouncing Boy, which we all know is going nowhere!)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Eryk Davis Ester #774155 06/08/13 01:48 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
You know... given the fact that any world in which super-powers exist is going to be one in which the laws of nature work much different than they do in the real world, it's really never bothered me that various powers might violate the conservation of mass.

I agree, it doesn't bother me, but I do like it even more if they can get some semi-plausible technobabble in tied to what we currently know.

Set #775165 06/12/13 06:05 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally Posted by Set
this sort of stuff screams opportunity to me, perhaps a result of growing up with the idea of 'No-Prizes' for explaining things, instead of just (accurately) labeling them mistakes or oversights and forgetting about them.

One thing I would not like to see is the situation where some writer finds a problem in an old issue and decides that that mistake is the hook to attach a large scale retcon on the grounds that it explains away the problem. Professor X was not seriously attracted to Jean Grey, certainly not after decades of backstory makes him much older than he originally was in X-Men #1. Garth was not Proty just because actually resurrecting Garth for real was stupid. The Martian Manhunter is not around in the 30th Century just because there was a cameo of him at a wedding.

Leather Wolf #780255 07/17/13 07:51 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
New plot threads that Levitz just added in #22.

1. Why and how did the Karate Kid return alive!!

2. Will Polar Boy be charged with murder?

3. What's with the return of Invisible Kid's phasing power?

Leather Wolf #783623 08/17/13 12:14 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Ok, we're finally about ready to real LSH #23. Let's see how many of these dangling plot threads Levitz resolved. The preview already answered a couple...

Leather Wolf #783680 08/17/13 08:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
1) The fates of Phantom Girl, Comet Queen and the mysteriously-disappeared Dragonwing

2) Who the heck is Harmonia, really??

Leather Wolf #784194 08/21/13 01:37 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally Posted by Leather Wolf
With Legion of Super-Heroes ending with issue #23, there are a number of dangling plot threads that need tied up by Paul Levitz. I know he won't get to many of them, here's the one's I wish he'd bring to completion:

1. Resolve the fates of Star Boy, Mon-El, Duplicate Damsel and Sun Boy.

2. Explain why Comet Queen attacked Brainiac 5 in LSH #11 and reveal who was behind it.

3. Bring the Legion Lost team home. I don't want to see Timber Wolf, Gates, Tellus, Tyroc, Dawnstar, Wildfire and Yera stuck in the 21st century when this series ends.

4. Explain who kidnapped Glorith and caused her to cause the time storm in LSH #15.

5. Does Lightning Lord really have a twin brother?

6. Who was the traitor within the Legion that Captain Adym told Yera about in Legion Lost #13.

7. Did Colossial Boy survive the technological crisis of LSH #17-23 as part of the Science Police?

8. Who are the other ECHO agents within the ranks of the Legion as mentioned in Legion Lost #13?

9. What ever happened to Quislet?

Well, at Levitz let us know that Sun Boy, Star Boy and one or more of Duplicate Damsel's duplicates really died. He also brought Colossial Boy back safe and sound from star fleet.

I personally think Karate Kid's return is more of Jeckie's self induced illusions than reality. Note that he never mingled with anyone else and rarely speaks.

Levitz has left us with more questions than answers:

1. Why did the United Planets disband the Legion?

2. Who are the other injured Legionnaires in the medic bay? Dragonwing? Chemical Kid? Comet Queen? Perhaps.

3. Why did Levitz leave the Legion Lost team in the 21st century?

4. How much of this ending was part of Levitz and Giffen's planned in story reboot of the Legion?

I really wish Levitz would share in an interview what he had planned for the Legion. But alas, we shall never know.

Leather Wolf #784235 08/21/13 07:10 PM
in hiding
in hiding
"Never" is a pretty strong word. I suspect that "not until Paul Levitz feels that he won't be causing harm by revealing the truth about what's been going on at DC Comics for the past few years" is closer to the reality of the matter. We shall see...someday.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
the Hermit #784295 08/22/13 12:02 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by the Hermit
"Never" is a pretty strong word. I suspect that "not until Paul Levitz feels that he won't be causing harm by revealing the truth about what's been going on at DC Comics for the past few years" is closer to the reality of the matter. We shall see...someday.

I think that we won't know until Paul Levitz is no longer employed by DC Comics and / or has finished writing books that require access to DC Comics' historical files. I suspect that if he revealed the truth about what's been going on at DC the last few years he'd be fired.

Last edited by googoomuck; 08/22/13 12:12 AM.
Leather Wolf #784298 08/22/13 01:13 AM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Given the rank Paul held at DC, he probably has some sort of retirement to think of as well, that could be subject to some sort of non-disclosure agreement.

Most writers and artists lack that sort of incentive to keep their traps shut (although they still would be well advised to do so, since many who have worked for DC have also worked for Marvel, and talking smack about what goes on in one house invariably involves talking smack about folks currently working in the other house, making it a serious career-limiting move).

But Paul, having been in the executive ranks, might have a more significant incentive to not talk trash about a place that has been his bread and butter, but may continue to hold the strings to his retirement.

Or he could just be a classy guy who tries not to talk out of school. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Leather Wolf #784314 08/22/13 05:09 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Set probably has it right. Even if there were "bad" decisions forcing Levitz' hand, after retirement sometimes if not just for classy reasons but for life reasons it's best to leave things in the past and move on. If he feels he can have a positive effect by opening up, then I hope he does.

DC's job is the bottom line. Business doesn't seem to care anymore about losing customers if decisions mean possibly gaining more in another area. It could just be that Legion is a victim of "good" business.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,810
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000