Roll Call
0 members (), 78 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives #4
Lard Lad #779653 07/13/13 03:35 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
^ Some free Ed Hamilton (audiobooks) at librivox.

Originally Posted by Paladin
Wow, no one's commented on "Starfinger", yet? Surprising!

Trying to catch up, shining knighted one!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Invisible Brainiac #779662 07/13/13 07:45 AM
in hiding
in hiding
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

Cos' mom says the Legion has had more than one casualty already. But wait! Triplicate Girl's third body hasn't died yet, so only Lightning Lad has died before, right? Am I missing something? Is she counting traitor Dynamo Boy?

Perhaps this is the very first reference to Kid Quantum?

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Lard Lad #779669 07/13/13 10:33 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Casualty is often (especially today) intended to mean 'dead,' but the actual definition includes people who are wounded in combat, generally so severely that they are taken out of the fight.

Unfortunately that doesn't entirely fit here either, as Garth's lost arm is the only injury that would typically fit that definition.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Lard Lad #779670 07/13/13 10:39 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Oh! I also noted that "space fatigue" was mentioned again as being, apparently, the primary reason that the Legionnaires were being examined! Nice acknowledgement of what happened to Sun Boy well over a year ago. Note that Sun Boy, though his prior affliction is not mentioned, is prominently being examined in the background as we get some exposition in the foreground. Nice work, Hamilton!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #779678 07/13/13 10:45 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
As is well known, Sun Boy used to regularly fake relapses of 'space fatigue' so that he could get him some hot nurse action.

That doesn't happen any more. Gym'll was having none of it.

the Hermit #779699 07/13/13 11:50 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Set
Casualty is often (especially today) intended to mean 'dead,' but the actual definition includes people who are wounded in combat, generally so severely that they are taken out of the fight.

Unfortunately that doesn't entirely fit here either, as Garth's lost arm is the only injury that would typically fit that definition.

Ah, thanks for reminding me of the expanded definition of "casualty", Set. It also seems unlikely she's referring to Bouncing Boy losing his powers, since that happened out of action. (I wonder why BB was written out in the first place! Were his powers deemed too silly? They provide a good visual though, and aren't too hard to use in a story - if there are henchmen, BB can easily take em down!)

Maybe Sun Boy's space fatigue counts him as being a casualty?

Originally Posted by the Hermit

Perhaps this is the very first reference to Kid Quantum?

Oooh. An extremely early retcon!

Invisible Brainiac #779716 07/13/13 01:31 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

Apparently the Sun has healing powers in the 30th century, because they took the time to build a city for sick people that follows the sun!

These days, they would change the name to Skin Cancer City. smile

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Lard Lad #779719 07/13/13 01:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I like the idea of Sun City, but more as a resort than a healing place. (I imagine the skin cancer concern would be dealt with in 1000 years.) I like the idea of a domed city travelling around the world for that purpose. Definitely a utopian future kinda thing, which the Legion totally is.

Oddly, the name kept making me think of the resort in South Africa that musicians boycotted (complete with a protest song) to show their opposition to apartheid.

Lard Lad #779744 07/13/13 03:29 PM
It's kind of a shame that--well, I won't spoil it just in case anyone doesn't know, but the last page makes it clear that this story has something in common with last issue's Unknown Boy tale and the Satan Girl story further back.

Oh, no! Starfinger is really . . . Supergirl!

Drat that Red K. wink

I thought the coolest visual of the issue was that scene where Colossal Boy stops Sun City from falling off its track to its doom. Honestly, that was one of the best shots of Colossal Boy using his power I've ever seen! If this were a modern story, that would have been a two-page splash! But even as presented, it was effective and stunning.

Agreed. It's a stunning visual.

It's funny how the cover actually references the James Bond villain Goldfinger as a way to build reader anticipation for the menace within. It's odd from the standpoint alone of it being on a book set in the 30th century referencing a 20th century film but even more so because the two characters have nothing in common. Well, I suppose they were both after a valuable substance, but you don't see the titular villain being called "Rejuviumfinger" here, do you? smile

I've always thought the connection was simply with the "finger" part of the name. Mort and company knew what movies their audience were likely to see, and they deliberately included references such as this to draw attention.

What's great, though, is that Starfinger is a wholly original character with little connection to Goldfinger. In fact, Starfinger takes his name literally by having a different power in each finger! Cool concept.

Lard Lad #779746 07/13/13 04:20 PM
Adv. 335

Glad to see so many others discussing this story; I was starting to worry that re-reading the archives had run out of steam.

I agree that "Starfinger" is one of the best Legion stories so far, though it's not quite my favorite. (I still favor 333.) This is the most straight-ahead, action-filled story we've seen yet. A new villain is in town, and the Legion cannot stop him. More, he anticipates their every move.

In fact, this story is so well done that only two things irked me, so I'll get them out of the way early.

The first thing is the by now routine manner in which Legionnaires are dropped in and out of the story. This was a common feature of the Adventure run, but it's annoying here. A reader who is only casually familiar with the Legion might justifiably be confused as to who all these characters are and what they can do, the size of the Legion, etc.

For example, the second page introduces us to a manageable number of Legionnaires--Sun Boy, Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, and Brainiac 5--but then Star Boy and Ultra Boy appear without explanation on pp. 3-4. Even more Legionnaires pop in randomly throughout the story.

This is rather like setting a story on an alien planet, but not bothering to tell the reader it's an alien planet until the end. It's cheating when the writer doesn't establish story parameters early on.

Fans have sometimes complained that Superboy hogs the glory in these stories. This may be true, but his absence until this story's end leaves a hole in terms of who our main character is. Without Superboy, there is no clear Legionnaire to focus on, no one who becomes the "protagonist" (although Saturn Girl seems prominent in a few key scenes.) With most of the Legionnaires popping in and out of the story, it's hard to know who to root for.

Related to the first problem, notice that Mon-El is once again brought back just to be sent away. While the revelation that Star Boy can be recharged by the rays of a sun is interesting, I can't recall it ever being mentioned again. In this story, it's sole purpose is to give Mon-El an excuse to miss out on the action. Mort really should have given Mon a more useful weakness than lead (which is countered by his lead serum), it seems.

Otherwise, "Starfinger" is masterfully written. At the beginning, we're introduced to the Legionnaires as they undergo routine medical examinations--a scene that doesn't seem to accomplish much at first, but later turns out to be key to Starfinger's identity!

The best part of the story is that, in spite of the lack of proper introductions, several Legionnaires get to shine. In addition to Gim saving Sun City, Star Boy goes one on one with Starfinger and loses! (In a brilliant twist, it's because Thom has to neutralize his own power to save the villain's life that he opens himself up as a target.) Sun Boy, Cosmic Boy, and Invisible Kid all get a shot--but their powers are turned against them.

The girls don't get to do much, unfortunately, but Phantom Girl does assist with a rescue, Light Lass is turned super-heavy, and Saturn Girl telepathically receives the clue that will keep us hanging for a month (or until Monday, at least).

This story is tightly paced with each scene building upon the previous and pushing us headlong into a surprise ending. And even though it's continued, it leaves the reader feeling like a lot had been accomplished and that the journey has been worth the ride.

Lard Lad #779756 07/13/13 04:51 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I fell behind because I've been on vacay and part 2 is the last missing single issue, so I've got to read that online (at work ;)). Hope to review both by Tuesday and catch up on everyone's comments. I've never read part 2 before.

So keep it going peeps!

Lard Lad #779917 07/14/13 08:31 AM
By the way, Adv. 335 marks the second time Element Lad is knocked out of flight by a fellow Legionnaire. The first time was by Star Boy in 333.

I guess that makes Jan the Legion's fall guy. smile

Lard Lad #779920 07/14/13 08:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
These Legion stories are becoming more focused, with fewer to no extraneous scenes. No more bouncing with friendly bouncy alien creatures, while the rest of the team waits to get on with the mission. As a result, the stories read less like silly kiddie comics and more like real adventure tales. The Legion is growing up!

Even today, I find Starfinger's metal eyes really creepy, like a giant fly's head. Lardy gave me a good alternate image, though, with his suggestion that they were the inspiration for Madonna's metal bra (somewhat more menacing than Red Sonja's chainmail bra).

There are a number of foreshadowing scenes that make the story more interesting: the mention of space-fatigue (even though it doesn't develop, you're just waiting for someone to go haywire), the prisoner in the dark room (a real tip-off if you look at the bed frame), Saturn Girl's declaration that Starfinger is a Legionnaire and the confusing array of Starfinger's powers.

Rejuvium did appear in a later story: according to the Help File, it was LSH #56, in which the Emerald Empress dispatched the Inquisitor to find the key to immortality. Rejuvium had been banned by the U.P., but was used illegally on the planet Verzwei. However, I thought it was also used in a Levitz story explaining why the Legionnaires still used "Boy" and "Girl" and something about keeping it all secret from Superboy - but I can't find the issue at this point (and IIRC, Levitz himself said it wasn't a very good story).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #779955 07/14/13 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

Rejuvium did appear in a later story: according to the Help File, it was LSH #56, in which the Emerald Empress dispatched the Inquisitor to find the key to immortality. Rejuvium had been banned by the U.P., but was used illegally on the planet Verzwei. However, I thought it was also used in a Levitz story explaining why the Legionnaires still used "Boy" and "Girl" and something about keeping it all secret from Superboy - but I can't find the issue at this point (and IIRC, Levitz himself said it wasn't a very good story).

S/LSH # 235. Rejuvium is not mentioned. Dr. B'Relden created a serum that prolongs life.

And I'm not sure why Levitz felt it wasn't a good story--I disagree. It's controversial, and it doesn't portray the Legionnaires in the best of light, but it shows the difficult moral choices people sometimes have to make. The Legion kept brainwashing Superboy so he would never get wise to how the Legionnaires in their 20s could still be called "Boy" or "Kid". They were afraid even he couldn't handle the temptation to prolong the lives of his loved ones in the 20th century.

Did the Legion make the right choice? Probably not, given their lengthy history with Superboy. But the story shows how a remarkable invention that can solve problems, cure illness, or create wealth can be a source of uncertainty even among those who possess it. Who can they trust? What is the best way to avoid the invention falling into the wrong hands?

These questions are echoed in the subplot involving the Sklarian raiders, who claim they have to resort to piracy because the UP has given their world some technological benefits, but not enough to satisfy their desire for more. They Sklarians got greedy. It's easy to see how the Legionnaires might be cautious about who should have access to what secrets they possess.

It's a very mature and unsettling story, and one that stays with readers a long time.

Lard Lad #779972 07/14/13 06:37 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I vaguely recall one of the Science Police mandates being to keep dangerous technology (such as time travel) under control, and even to suppress some technology outright. That's a pretty unusual role, and yet, even by the '50s, thanks to nuclear technology being 'out of the bottle,' probably a timely one. As we learn about more and more ways technology could lead to possibly catastrophic fates (runaway nanotech 'grey goo' scenarios or fears that a supercollider could spark a new big bang or even that a new explosive device could set fire to the atmosphere), and in a setting where crazy planet-destroying (or even *sun*-destroying devices actually do exist, that sort of mandate both makes sense in-story, and, as a tool to explain why the 30th century is even recognizable to a 20th century reader, perhaps a useful 'meta' tool for storytelling.

Sharing life-extending technology with a race or culture that isn't ready for it could seriously mess them up. If they continue to reproduce like a race that has a much shorter lifespan, they will quickly run out of resources and be forced into an expansionist phase, threatening everyone around them while simultaneously 'cheapening' life itself, in the eyes of their people, since they are swimming in 'too many people,' many of them resource poor, hungry and desperate, leading to a lack of empathy, as those who have enough are just fighting to hold onto it, and those who are suffering are trying even harder to seize what they need to survive. Combined with a older traditionalist caste of leaders who never grows old and gets replaced, their society would stagnate, and any innovations or cultural evolutions that might save them from this fate would be stifled or ignored by an increasingly out of touch leadership that has grown calcified and resistant to change. We see the results of that sort of thing to a much lesser extent today, where our political leadership is, on average, already past retirement age, while our population trends much younger, explaining why it is literally impossible to pass regulations supported by 80% or even 90% of the population (or even simple majorities *of their own political parties*), because they are almost inconceivable to a political body that is almost two full generations older than the average. People who think computers are 'fads' are making laws to regulate the internet... In a world with rejuvium, things could be much worse, as their political and cultural and religious leaders could be centuries old, and maintain views (and impose laws) that are completely out of touch with newly recognized realities.

Lard Lad #779982 07/14/13 09:01 PM
K
Active
Active
K
The S-LSH #235 story was bad because it tried to explain away a comic book convention. It's like saying that in the 30th century, they put a special serum in all the water that is absorbed into the brain, and that for that reason, people in the 30th century can get their heads knocked around by superheroes without getting concussions.

It also meant that we could no longer just explain it away by saying "well, let's just assume that not a lot of time has passed" (without ignoring the story.)

Furthermore, it was pretty much a certainty that no writer would be willing to examine the implications of giving a society reduced aging.

Lard Lad #780035 07/15/13 07:06 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Adventure #335

I'll be playing catch up today...

Starfinger arrives with the potential to be the first great proper super villain for the LSH, and fits that role perfectly...until, as Lardy mentioned, the story went in another direction. That's too bad. However,
some clever writing would bring him back a few times--and if 1970's comic writers knew one thing, it was bringing back 1960's villains. Very soon the Legion will start getting some memorable villains, and that trend really begins here.

Also notable that the cover doesn't even hide the fact that Goldfinger was an inspiration for Starfinger, at least in name.

The story opens with some nice personal insights. Sun Boy is shown to be truly dedicated to the Legion which fits his personality thus far to a "T"; yet it also sets up his ladies man persona in how easily he ditched Nila. There are a few ways to read this. Cos' family is introduced, establishing that important aspect of the Krinn boys.

Note Cos' mother mentions the Legion has had more than one casualty. Say what? This could either refer to: (A) one of those stories where everyone dies, though I wonder how Ma Krinn knows about that; or (B) Kid Quantum *and* Lightning Lad!

Rejuvium being found via exploration of unknown territory continues a long literary tradition of the Fountain of Youth.

Dirk shows some good thinking on his feet once the action starts. Jo, Tenz and Tinya also use their powers nicely.

Part 1 does a nice job establishing the villain and now part 2 gives a more elaborate plot for how he'll battle the Legion. It's silly yet fun, and it also allows for a lot of Legionnaires to be used.

Star Boy's coma is an excuse to get Mon off the board, but it does a nice job heightening tension and showing the heroes reacting to a fellow Legionnaire in peril.

The story benefits from being a two parter by ending on a big cliffhanger. Starfinger reveals the full array of his powers by taking out a variety of Legionnaires and accomplishing the second part of his threat. Superboy arrives in the story in the same way so many Legion stories have had "last minute saves" except this time--he fails! When read in context with all the other stories, this is quite a twist!

Bonus: "Meet the Legionnaires" begins as an extra, beginning with Brainiac 5. This 1/3 page text extra is chalk full of information! We get the full origin of Brainiac, Vril Doz (Brainiac II), info on Brainiacs III and IV, and of course our Brainy. Plus an explanation of the long lives of the Brainys...though no clarification yet on Yod / Colu.

Lard Lad #780040 07/15/13 07:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It's worth noting again that Star Boy's extreme avoidance of breaking the no-killing policy led to his being in a coma, near death.

Surely this must have influenced his future decisions, including his killing Kenz Nuhor to avoid being killed?

Ken Arromdee #780051 07/15/13 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Ken Arromdee
The S-LSH #235 story was bad because it tried to explain away a comic book convention. It's like saying that in the 30th century, they put a special serum in all the water that is absorbed into the brain, and that for that reason, people in the 30th century can get their heads knocked around by superheroes without getting concussions.

It also meant that we could no longer just explain it away by saying "well, let's just assume that not a lot of time has passed" (without ignoring the story.)

Furthermore, it was pretty much a certainty that no writer would be willing to examine the implications of giving a society reduced aging.

Interesting point of view, Ken, and it brings up the fact that, in the 1970s, Marvel and DC both sought ways to explain how their heroes were not aging. One Fantastic Four story had Reed, Ben, and Sue exposed to a Skrull ray which retarded their aging. Cap had his super-soldier formula and Nick Fury his elixir of youth, etc.

This was all part of the idea of making super-heroes as realistic as possible.

The Legion was in a special situation in that the characters had noticeably aged during the 1970s--two had gotten married. However, Superboy (going by established DC history) was still a teenager who had yet to lose his foster parents or go away to college. He was, in a sense, stuck in time while the Legionnaires moved forward.

The story's explanation for this discrepancy isn't wholly satisfying or convincing. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions. (For example, does Superboy ever notice that the calendar changes in the 30th century each time he visits? How does he know "when" to come out of the time barrier? Why couldn't he continue to visit the Legionnaires while *they* were still teens?) But I think 235 was a bold attempt to do two things: 1) explain away an inconsistency that fans had noticed, and 2) use the science fictional setting to deal with real-world themes, such as the United States providing aid to lesser developed countries--our obligations, how much aid is too much, and what happens when lesser countries demand more? Levitz injected similar real-world themes in the political tensions between Imsk and the UP a few issues earlier.

In some ways, I think this story was an attempt to acknowledge that not only had the Legionnaires changed, but that the audience was growing more sophisticated, as well.

Lard Lad #780099 07/15/13 02:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
The conclusion in 336 was really nice and didn't let down the strong opener. I liked how Brainy came up with the idea for the inertron shields and that their numbers simply overwhelmed Starfinger with that advantage. Lots of continued good work with facial expressions and a generally satisfying resolution to the mystery and finally nabbing the real bad guy behind it all.

Probably my biggest complaint is the scene where M-E Lad "eats" the steam! Say whuuuuut?!? I suppose it's possible, given Tenzil's power, but it seems he'd also have to have super-breath/inhalation to pull that off, right?

All in all, this story is one of the big pieces in my assertion that Garth was arguably the featured Legionnaire of the Silver Age (or at least pre-Shooter) with all of the big stories and milestones that centered around him.

Honestly, I'm trying to remember why I used to think this story SUCKED?!?!? shrug

Lard Lad #780100 07/15/13 02:37 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Okay, so just about there catch-up wise though I may be delayed slightly on the next one…

Adventure #336

It occurs to me that the covers of both Starfinger issues are really great. Particularly, this one on #336 is fantastic, and would be even without the background roster which just puts it over the top.

Also, I’ve got to agree with a comment Lardy made earlier about Forte as inked by __. It really just ‘pops’ more with the inks, adding some additional depth. He did the same for Swan’s work as well.

I love the old way of telling flashback’s, with the narrator’s face side by side with the narration. Hamilton also employs an effective series of panels showing the Legionnaires dragnet for Starfinger, which combined with Vi’s distrust of Cham, really heightens the tension. Starfinger is really shining as a big villain in this story!

The Global Tunnel is a cool concept, even if the science needs to be a lot more sound. There is at least three stories to be told of Legionnaires finding trouble there! Perhaps in the More Fun Comics adventures? wink

Er…Ultra Boy must only be in the American / European section of the Giant Hall of Fame. Yeah, that’s it.

Great opening splash to part 2!

The Fusion Powersphere reappears! And Inertron debuts in Legion lore after being used pretty prolifically in other sci-fi mediums…including quite often by Hamilton himself.

Tenzil devouring steam (since it is technically matter) is interesting. I’ve never considered that before and somehow, it doesn’t feel right.

The Reverse Falls are also pretty cool! Wild!

Sun Boy stays behind so boyfriends Lyle & Jan can go join the fight! Lyle must still not have broken Jan’s heart.

Great panel of the Legionnaires surrounding Starfinger with the inertron shields!

Things come to a conclusion with Starfinger revealed with a gasp!; then the real story being told; and then confrontation with the great realization that the Legion having been guarding his base all along! Though I’d have loved for all the Legionnaires to bring him in, I still felt satisfied with his defeat.

All in all, not the most perfect story but a very enjoyable 2-parter. The two parters are showing that a little extra breathing room can go a long way with these stories!

Bonus House Ad Comment: love the Enemy Ace house ad in the back!

Lard Lad #780101 07/15/13 02:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I see we both can't quite accept the steam bit!

I agree on your Garth assessment. In fact, ever since "Code of the Legion", he's become a bit more of the main male lead (not counting Superboy) much like Sun Boy was before him.

Cobalt Kid #780104 07/15/13 02:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I agree on your Garth assessment. In fact, ever since "Code of the Legion", he's become a bit more of the main male lead (not counting Superboy) much like Sun Boy was before him.

In a way you can really track or recount the early Silver Age by what happened to Garth. Not to mention that he even had one sibling become a Legionnaire and another become a Legion foe during this period!

Lard Lad #780109 07/15/13 04:05 PM
Adv. 336

A worthy followup to Part 1, Part 2 sees the Legionnaires battling Starfinger and getting trumped at every turn. Knowing that Starfinger is really one of them stirs suspicion amongst the Legionnaires, but this plot line isn’t really developed. No matter: What’s delivered is an exciting story that builds to a climax of the Legionnaires ganging up on the villain, forcing him to the ground, and then unmasking him.

Of course, the big reveal is not as shocking as it was then; however, it's set up nicely with Saturn Girl giving the Legionnaires a briefing at the beginning (one of the few times exposition has been integrated naturally into these stories). Knowing her eventual destiny with the Legionnaire in question makes her reaction all the more compelling (“It can’t be . . . him!”).

After the big reveal, unfortunately, the story runs on a flat tire or two. The brainwashed Legionnaire’s reaction is so blasé, one might think he’d merely overslept and missed his turn at monitor duty. And wouldn’t it have been great if he had been the one to go after the real Starfinger—the man who used him? But no, Superboy once again goes it alone under the pretext that he’s invulnerable and the other Legionnaires are not. One almost wishes they would get tired of him molly-coddling them and boot his ass back to Smallville.

(It surprises me, though, how little Superboy really has hogged the glory so far. He defeats the villain alone in 310, 320, and 336, and collaborates with other Legionnaires to prevail in 325, 329, 331, and 333, but, otherwise, he’s either absent, sent away on missions, or blends in with the crowd.)

I will say that the resolution is very well done. Don't play poker with Superboy!

Product of Its Time Dept.: The statues Ultra Boy fails to save represent historical figures the series’ readers would have studied. While this is a nice connection to school, it would have been even nicer if some of these statues had represented non-whites, women, or even aliens!

What Was He Thinking Dept.: Exactly how was impersonating Starfinger supposed to draw the real villain out, Chameleon Boy? This subplot, however, does foreshadow the suspicion heaped upon Durlans in later stories, and it made me feel sorry for Cham, who is now the object of suspicion among his own teammates.

Hamilton seems to be getting the hang of using the Legionnaires' powers. Light Lass is used to great effect here, and the drawbacks of Ultra Boy’s one-power-at-a-time restriction are made vividly clear. I rather enjoyed Tenz sucking up steam. This falls under the heading of "Why not?"

A better-than-average wrap-up, but it could have been great.

Lard Lad #780110 07/15/13 04:22 PM

Probably my biggest complaint is the scene where M-E Lad "eats" the steam! Say whuuuuut?!? I suppose it's possible, given Tenzil's power, but it seems he'd also have to have super-breath/inhalation to pull that off, right?

Several stories have implied, if not outright stated, that M-E Lad can eat at super-speed. He'd have to in order to accomplish some of the things he does. His teeth, jaw, tongue, and the inside of his mouth must also be super-strong if not invulnerable, so I don't think it's much of a stretch for him to have super-sucking ability, as well.

(Now, I can imagine Imra or another Legion leader saying in battle, "Tenz, you suck!" --and meaning it as a command. smile )

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ibn al-Nezumi
Ibn al-Nezumi
Indojapan, Earth