Roll Call
0 members (), 4 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:36 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:55 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 59 of 86 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge #813302 07/01/14 10:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
yes.

Ultra Jorge #813305 07/01/14 10:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
but it is still what it is. meaning an american horror story buffy true blood mash up. while not quite as good as any of those three when they were at their best there are some excellent episodes (maybe two) towards the end (it just ended the series) and it's one of my top shows right now. i think the last three episodes were pretty good with one that was very superb. it is better than true blood is now. and more compelling than american horror stories fizzing out.

Eva Green is the stand out with good performances by dalton (who is a bit soap operaey) and hartnett (who tries hard ...).

piper is also great but limited.

... one plot line is so so dull.

Ultra Jorge #813313 07/01/14 11:37 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
They played some things close to the vest with the cowboy, but at the end of the last two episodes there are a pair of rapid fire reveals about him that promise to shake things up for a second season.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #813319 07/01/14 01:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So, Orphan Black Season 2 was pretty damn brilliant. Just about everything about it was fantastic: plot, acting, writing, pacing, etc. Tatiana is just mesmerizing.

kenaustin #813320 07/01/14 01:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by kenaustin
Just finished watching the leaked pilots for Constantine and the Flash. Both were pretty good, although I liked the Flash better.

The Flash seems to have more of a DC scope with it's many Easter eggs for the fans (especially the ending), but Constantine had a good one, too. I'm not well versed in the mythology of John Constantine, so I can't speak to the other characters, but he seemed close to the smart-assed John that I've seen in the DCU.

Thumbs up to both!

I'm hit or miss with Arrow. Really like the plots. Really hate the "acting." The Flash was a positive in the acting though a lot more bubbly, childlike than I think will go over well for anything but an episode or two. I think he needs to play that about 5-10 years older and a bit more mature. I really liked the trailer.

Power Boy #813383 07/02/14 06:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Power Boy
but it is still what it is. meaning an american horror story buffy true blood mash up. while not quite as good as any of those three when they were at their best there are some excellent episodes (maybe two) towards the end (it just ended the series) and it's one of my top shows right now. i think the last three episodes were pretty good with one that was very superb. it is better than true blood is now. and more compelling than american horror stories fizzing out.

Eva Green is the stand out with good performances by dalton (who is a bit soap operaey) and hartnett (who tries hard ...).

piper is also great but limited.

... one plot line is so so dull.

I'll try and stick with it then. The pilot started out interesting, and then it kind of lost steam after the first act. I know it's being true to the sources, but everything just seemed a little over wrought and melodramatic, which can be fine, but there wasn't much there yet to support it.

Ultra Jorge #813393 07/02/14 08:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i'd stick with it for the first season. There's only 8 episodes.

i remember being annoyed at the beginning because they kept introducing characters i didn't care about yet and i just wanted the action part because the first episodes it seemed like it was going to be an "actor's show" where everyone's screaming and their lips are quivering and everything is delivered at the utmost drama but ... only eva green of this cast can really pull that off. it's not got the same caliber of people as american horror story or even walking dead.

but i'm in it for what it is and the plots really do multiply in a good way and there are loads of cliff hangers. it's entertaining and really fun once it gets rolling.

Ultra Jorge #813444 07/02/14 06:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What show are you guys talking about? Message board conversations can be so non-linear...

Ultra Jorge #813445 07/02/14 06:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Penny Dreadful.

Ultra Jorge #813780 07/05/14 09:18 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I just watched the first couple of seasons of "Longmire" pm Netflix and before that all of "Luther." The two title characters are kind of similar: lots of inner turmoil, anger issues and dedication to their jobs. I also really like the supporting casts on both shows; I would pay double for Alice Morgan to make a visit to Absaroka county. Their settings (Wyoming and London) are so different from where I'm from that I also get bonus "tourism" content.

Exnihil #813924 07/07/14 12:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Exnihil
I saw a movie over the holiday that I previously didn't know existed and - if I had - never would have thought that I'd not only enjoy it, but also still be thinking about it three days later... and slowly coming to the opinion that I'd seen a work of art.

Trust me, no one is more surprised than I that I dug this so much - but I'm talking about movie from 1968 called, "Head," starring... The Monkees.

First off, although I'd seen The Monkees TV show before, I've never liked it. I don't enjoy the sort of dumbed-down slapstick and random jump cut thing that typified the show.

That being said, though... "Head," - made after the cancellation of the show, and during a drastic wane in the Monkees popularity - was a pop art deconstruction of the prefabricated nature of the band, from the same production team that would go on to make "Easy Rider," and "Five Easy Pieces." In addition, it's also a meta-fictional reflection on the nature of reality and free will.

Yes... really.

It's very difficult to describe the movie in terms of plot... there actually isn't much of one, apart from an overarching theme of the four band members attempting to break free of the various levels of fictional constructs in which they exist. Instead, it plays out in a series of vignettes, connected in a stream of consciousness fashion that follow a sort of dream logic.

Throughout these vignettes, the band members are continually confronted with the artificial nature - not only of the world in which they exist (breaking out of staged scenes only to find that the "behind the scenes" reality is staged as well) - but also of their selves (having their actions cut short to be informed that they are not in line with the archetypes that they are supposed to be filling; being torn apart as their very bodies are revealed to be mannequins).

The ultimate journey toward trying to assert free will involves them realizing the only way out of this illusionary world is by death, so, in the final scene (which connects to the first scene in a "Finnegan's Wake" type loop) they attempt to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge... only to find even these actions are nothing more than part of a pre-scripted world.

I'll know that "meta-fiction" is not everyone's cup of tea... but when combined the "psychedelic" sheen of the era in which it was made, as well as some of the most bizarre cameos to ever be in a single movie - Frank Zappa, Annette Funicello, Jack Nicholson, and Sonny Liston, as well as others - it all just really clicked for me.

To sum up my feelings on it, I'd say it was like "A Hard Day's Night" as imagined by Grant Morrison.

If that sounds like something you'd like... check out "Head".

A year and a half after writing the above I was able to catch "Head" on the big screen yesterday, as this month my local movie theatre is playing a triple play of 60's music films including that, "A Hard Day's Night" and the Who's "Quadrophenia".

I love my town!

Ultra Jorge #813925 07/07/14 01:03 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm finding the new "Leftovers" intriguing, but I'm still bitter over Lindelof's botching of the last 2 seasons of Lost so I'm still a little wary as to where it will go.

Dave Hackett #813928 07/07/14 02:23 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
I'm finding the new "Leftovers" intriguing, but I'm still bitter over Lindelof's botching of the last 2 seasons of Lost so I'm still a little wary as to where it will go.

I'm on the fence on this one. It's got some interesting bits, but I think the writing is deliberately portraying the characters as sort of disconnected, as if the entire world has been holding it's breath for the last three years, waiting for something else (a return, another wave of disappearances, signs of the end of the world, etc.).

As a result, most of the characters just feel like they are going through the motions, or sleepwalking. I'm not loving that, since it may be totally appropriate for the theme and tone being sought after, but it's kind of deadly dull. Almost everyone feels reactive, pent up, distant, in various ways.

As you mention Lost, I'm also reminded of the Battlestar Galactica relaunch, shows in which a long, slow burn to revelation ended with colossal disappointment. I think I've been burned too many times by the 'slow burn' storytelling approach, and have no patience for this any more.

'And they've got a Plan. Which is apparently to drag this sucker out as long as we can, without actually coming up with an ending...'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #813952 07/07/14 08:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Coupling from BBC on Netflix.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Ultra Jorge #813956 07/07/14 08:12 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Law and Order Marathon. We're up to the season where Alexandra Borgia becomes ADA.

Set #814187 07/10/14 11:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Set

As you mention Lost, I'm also reminded of the Battlestar Galactica relaunch, shows in which a long, slow burn to revelation ended with colossal disappointment. I think I've been burned too many times by the 'slow burn' storytelling approach, and have no patience for this any more.

Colossal disappointment. I've never been more let-down by an ending (and pretty much a whole final season to be honest) than I was by that show's. It was so bad it made me retroactively go back and think less of the earlier seasons, which I'd previously loved.

Though I'm someone who found lots to like (and love!) in Lost's (imperfect, admittedly) final season so take my opinion with a grain of salt. smile

Last edited by Blacula; 07/10/14 11:26 AM.
Ultra Jorge #814188 07/10/14 11:33 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm with you on BSG. Up until the last half season, my wife and I were so hooked, and then to have them deliver such a half-baked resolution really soured us, to the point we haven't gone back to re-watch any of it and have skipped any spin-off material. It was such a letdown.

Cobalt Kid #814342 07/12/14 12:44 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
So, Orphan Black Season 2 was pretty damn brilliant. Just about everything about it was fantastic: plot, acting, writing, pacing, etc. Tatiana is just mesmerizing.

Finally finished Season 2 the other night. I thought the first half of the season was kind of slow, but the second half was just AWESOME! I particularly loved what happened in Allison's story and how Donnie became a character to watch and enjoy. And that dance scene with no less than four clones in the same shot--I had to watch that one several times! Just an amazing achievement!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #814532 07/15/14 10:25 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^^ Possible Orphan Black Spoilers below ^^

Yeah, lots of great bits with the supporting cast, even if some of them leave you wanting a whole helluva lot more (I'm looking at you, Art!).

Loved how Donnie morphed into something unexpected (and loved how he and Allison dealt with the big "shock twist" to him, haha!). Love the aforementioned Art's new role. Felix is always awesome. Ms. S...HOLY FECAL MATTER! Dalphine is a wonderfully complex love interest like Sarah's two, and even Scott is an awesome addition. Even Vic's return was unexpected but hilarious as it would have to be.

All of the clones are just awesome, and enough can't be said about how Tatiana pulls it off. Helena's "entrance" into the season was horrifying and awesome--one of my favorite moments (you'll know which one I mean). And then she can go on to be so funny in some scenes.

Cobalt Kid #814579 07/15/14 05:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Helena's "entrance" into the season was horrifying and awesome--one of my favorite moments (you'll know which one I mean). And then she can go on to be so funny in some scenes.

I'm drawing a blank on Helena's--unless she was involved with that diner thing? hmmm (I took a long break between the two halves of the season for various reasons.) However, you're absolutely right that she's often really funny and has become pretty endearing--all this way from being pretty much the "bogeyman" last season.

I was sooooo afraid one of the clones--you know which one--wouldn't make it to next season, but we were instead left with some hope.

And while we're at it....how about little Kira this season!

Ultra Jorge #814615 07/16/14 11:12 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah...

I thought Kasima might not make it to the end. I was so glad they didn't go there. I'd hate to lose any of the main three, and even Helena too.

The Helena sequence I meant is the one where Sarah was tied up in the bad clone's apartment (her name escapes me at the moment) and suddenly her tormentor walks off screen, we hear a fight, then stumbles back in a bloody mess and collapses...and then Helena enters the screen covered in blood at her most menacing. It was an awesome entrance!

Kira was great! I was especially glad we got a good few eps of Sarah with Kira as well. I think they did a good job at showing Sarah be a responsible parent given the situation she's in.

Ultra Jorge #814617 07/16/14 11:20 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Oh, yeah! That sequence was pretty tense! ("Bad clone" is Rachel, btw! smile ) Looked like Sarah was going from a bad situation to worse--and then the episode ended! I like where they've taken Helena, though.

Love me some Cosima! I was starting to tear up thinking she had passed when Kira couldn't wake her up! In a way Cosima is the most lovable of them all, so I could definitely see the writers pulling the rug out from under us. Glad they didn't go there (yet).

And Season 3 was given the go-ahead a week or so ago!!! band

Ultra Jorge #814739 07/18/14 12:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Monarchy on Netflix. Kinda interesting, but very dry. And the guy doing the narration/storytelling is very .....dramatic, if that makes sense.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Ultra Jorge #814806 07/19/14 10:06 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I finally finished Season 2 of Veronica Mars last night, and God Bless freakin' AMERICA, was that ever a great finale! As outstanding as Season 1's ending was, I'd say Season 2 kicked it up a few notches! The reveal of who was behind the bus crash (and was also responsible for something else unexpected) was both mindblowing and heartbreaking! There was a point where the confrontation between Veronica and the perp brought me to tears, even when I wasn't completely buying the fakeout that occurred during the confrontation (to say any more would be giving too much away). It was just television at its best, and just as in Season 1, I didn't see the reveal coming--even though in hindsight, both were always right in front of me.

My only criticism of both finales is that in both cases
Veronica needed a knight in shining armor to rescue her.
I hope this isn't the case with all the remaining mysteries and the movie.

I can't recommend the first two seasons of Veronica Mars highly enough! I'm one episode into the contentious*** Season 3. We'll see how it shakes out, but if it's even half as good as either of the prior two, I'll be satisfied! nod

***One clearly inferior thing about Season 3 from the first ep is the new beginning credits with a sucky down-tempo version of the formerly great and peppy "We Used to Be Friends" theme song! puke

Last edited by Paladin; 07/19/14 10:10 PM.

Ultra Jorge #814807 07/20/14 12:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh yeah, I LOVE me some Veronica Mars!!!! I even have the Kickstarter backer t-shirt to prove it! wink

I agree with all the veiled references you made to the season 2 finale - they never lost sight of the fact that the main relationship in that show is V and her dad - I totally get choked up during that rooftop scene (even though it was a fake-out) The second big reveal seemed a bit tacked on since it seemed as though they had already settled it (even though I thought the way they initially settled it was a bit of a cop-out) The movie was great to see, but it really felt like a reunion special more than a real movie, which was a bit disappointing.

I watched the entire show again before seeing the movie, and one awesome part of rewatching the show was the cavalcade of folks who popped up - Adam Scott, Paul Rudd, Alyson Hannigan, whatsisname Schmidt (from "New Girl"), Krysten Ritter, and her "Breaking Bad" co-star Adrian Paul, Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat being in the same episode (though no scenes together unfortunately), etc... I'm sure there are more I've forgotten...

BUT, I just finished watching the extended (or original) "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy on Netflix. GREAT stuff! Instead of three movies, it's six episodes, each an hour and a half long.

Last edited by DrakeB3004; 07/20/14 12:54 AM.
Page 59 of 86 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,476
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Zero Kahn
Zero Kahn
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star