Roll Call
0 members (), 49 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:02 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: LSH 39 ***Spoilers****
#8282 02/29/08 02:03 PM
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
A'ight.

I loved this issue. ever since Shooter took up the pen, he's been sort of trudging along, and I'm okay with that. He's picking up where two other writers have rebuilt many charcters, some leaving him little to work with (i.e., Cosmic boy in da future, Mon-El in Phantom Zone...). I'm willing to give him another ish or two of setting up the charcters where he needs them, get himself in the niche.

Some other issues/reissues of mine:

Matter-Eater Lad? I liked Bedard's version, and was glad that Brainy considered him a possible "legal" addition. Waiting for that one.

Wildfire. He was on the team originally, and was (to my knowledge) supposed to be given his position back, as Brainy could make him a new suit (please be on the agenda...). Wildfire is quite possibly my favorite legionnaire, and I simply must see him return, given his rights.

I loved Waid's work with Cosmic boy. I want to see him return . I don't care how or why. Want him back.

And Ayla? There's no reason to beleive she'd just jump in the sack with all these guys anyway. There were implied dates between two others, and now this Karate Kid (you can do it!) relationship from out of the blue. I approve. In fact, it seems that Triplicate girl was the one ready to jump in with three guys at once. One of my favorite stories...

The point being, it really doesn't matter what Ayla does in her personal life. Speaking chronologically, we know women have their rights and respects in this day and age, unfortunatley having to have to fight for them sometimes. But as was stated somewhere else in this conversation, these are alien races. As with aliens and the Legion's place against adults and petty political figures, they fight against all xenophobia etcetera, etcetera...

This issue could be cleared up in the future anyway.

#8283 02/29/08 02:13 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Finally got it. Neat stuff.

M'Rissey as the 'ghost in the clubhouse' could be a cute nod to the past.

As for Ayla being sexually mature, good on her. The sentiments behind the word slut are an anachronism *today,* let alone 1000 years from now.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#8284 02/29/08 09:44 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Interesting responses.

Frankly, I think things are starting to drag. Did we really need follow up on the ski resort story. Personally, I don't think so.

On another board, someone said that the Legionnaries are very talky talky but rarely say anything of substance. I think that's fairly accurate.

I didn't expect change overnight, and I think Shooter is going a long way to make the members into individuals, but I want to see some exciting stories frame the characterization.

Let's face it -- some people are giving the Legion a try for the first time, if they aren't wowed shortly, I don't see many of them sticking around.

#8285 02/29/08 10:19 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. Francis Manapul's art was amazing, as usual. I thought Colossal Boy's mission was little absurd, but that is what it was intended to be, lol.

Shooter has completely knocked Projectra down, and I am excited to see what wil happen next with her, it seems like the Princess found another way to get what she wants. laugh

I want to see Shrinking Violet & Chameleon Boy frown

Then I will be content.

#8286 03/01/08 11:23 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I am just loving the Shooter/Manapul run. The art is gorgeous and I no longer have to rely on costumes to identify the male legionnaires. As someone who loves characterization, I love Shooter's efforts to give the characters distinct personalities. It feels like he has done more of that in three issues than occurred in the entire previous run. I know some people have commented on this run starting slowly, but I'm glad Shooter didn't instantly jump into a major plot. He's giving us time to finally get to know these characters and I think that will have some payoff as the plot develops.

Not that there aren't hints of something big on the horizon. I seem to see a theme developing. Instead of being the kids against the grownups, the new theme seems to be about the Legion growing isolated both through outside forces (the media) and their own actions (Lightning Lad's dealings causing trouble with the UP as well as a developing mistrust with the youth that used to support the Legion. I suspect that is all going to come to a head when we find out who is behind the self-destructing creatures that attacked Triton.

On the characterization front, I loved the HQ stuff. I don't think Ayla is a slut. Who cares if she sleeps around. I can't imagine that the morals of the future consider that as taboo as it is now.

Projectra's fall from power is amazing, and I can't wait to see the fallout. One thing that has bugged me, however, is that we have never seen any discussion of the Projectra/Timber Wolf relationship. Are they still together? It would be nice to see that relationship addressed, especially now that she has hit rock bottom.

Speaking of Brin, the Saturn Girl/Timber Wolf exchange was great. I think Brin and Jo are probably the two characters who would object most to being manipulated against their will. As a huge Timber Wolf fan, I love what Shooter has done with him, though I hope we get something more than sarcastic Brin from time to time. I liked the scenes with Giselle, and assume that was the real motivation for Brin's attack on Winch Boone. Obviously, something about her being treated as an outcast and a freak hit home.

Oh, and can someone please explain what happened to the "feral Timber Wolf" who appeared after being hit with radiation? Did that battle with Wildfire just not happen?

#8287 03/01/08 03:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Titan Lad:
I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. Francis Manapul's art was amazing, as usual. I thought Colossal Boy's mission was little absurd, but that is what it was intended to be, lol.

Remember Ayla and Tinya were giving Garth grief over sending two muscle heads to catch the mice? It's a good thing thing both of them were there. Or else the lady would have a nice new bracelet.

#8288 03/01/08 04:13 PM
P
Substitute
Substitute
P
I'm glad Shooter's showing the ramifications of the UP's economic collapse.
I love seeing Legionnaires in their undies!
The future slang is growing on me.

#8289 03/01/08 05:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Next "favorite cover" thread, I must remember to add this one, though I could have done with a bit less logo. Seemed to take up a lot of the artwork and send the panel off balance (to me).

The sewer story was too much fun and Gym's use of the wall was a new angle. The stories are moving along okay but I can see another 24 issue drag-on of another massive out universe invasion story. I do enjoy a major plot behind the daily grind but get on with it.

A very exciting issue for me. Loved the story, loved the art, ashamed of myself for loving the half-naked legionnaires, wouldn't really want this to main-stream, and finally, loved Tulip. I see an "Of Mice and Men," bugs bunny style story coming.

"I will hug him and squeeze him and kiss him and love him.

#8290 03/01/08 05:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've got mixed feelings about this new team. I think Shooter's got enough cred that I'll wait it out to see what's happening, but so far, it's boring.

But my biggest complaint is the art. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the "anime" Legion. I don't want to read a comic book that looks like a friggin' video game. I know I'm in a minority here, but give me the Action Legion any day.

#8291 03/01/08 05:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My video games look actually, more like the Action Legion, but I see your point.

Took me some adjusting but it's really grown on me, particularly effective IMO in the action sequences. Imra is HOT and the style is particularly effective for Giselle.

The anime adds for me, an "alien" feel. I suppose that's not true for someone already used to the style?

#8292 03/01/08 05:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's the hair I hate the most. Hair is NOT a solid mass. Drawing it that way may be a stylistic choice, but to me, it just seems lazy.

And BB, you must have great video games. laugh

#8293 03/03/08 07:34 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Still loving this. Manapul's art is possibly the best Legion art I've seen since the days of Steve Lightle. And the story is great. Tons of characterization, stuff being set up for later, and some nice showcasing of the setting, which has always been one of the strongest parts of what makes the Legion so awesome, all of the crazy-cool places they get to go to!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#8294 03/03/08 08:26 AM
Leader
Leader
I agree with you, STF. I'm not liking the art style much. I'm hoping it will grow on me, but so far I'm still just hoping. Some panels look pretty good, but some look awful. Very uneven quality imo.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#8295 03/03/08 08:36 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by reckless:
One thing that has bugged me, however, is that we have never seen any discussion of the Projectra/Timber Wolf relationship. Are they still together? It would be nice to see that relationship addressed, especially now that she has hit rock bottom.
Good point, Reckless. This hasn't been addressed in so long I'd completely forgotten they were a couple.

btw, are you named after the Walton family dog? smile

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#8296 03/03/08 09:16 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I actually like the art more than I thought I was going to at first. I particularly like the fact that the Legionnaires actually look like distinct characters, something which doesn't seem like it ought to be that hard (from the point of view of a non-artist like me), but seems surprisingly difficult for artists to achieve in practice.

#8297 03/03/08 09:21 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Originally posted by reckless:
[b] One thing that has bugged me, however, is that we have never seen any discussion of the Projectra/Timber Wolf relationship. Are they still together? It would be nice to see that relationship addressed, especially now that she has hit rock bottom.
Good point, Reckless. This hasn't been addressed in so long I'd completely forgotten they were a couple.[/b]
They appeared to be together when Timber Wolf got injured during the Dominator issues. But who really knows. As a big Timber Wolf fan, it really bothered me that his only reaction to Projectra's entire planet being wiped out was "oh, you have powers now, so that means. . ." And, then, the only Legionnaire who was ever shown to be concerned about Projectra was Star Boy.

btw, are you named after the Walton family dog? smile
Nope. Not named after anything in particular. The username was intended to be ironic, because I am quite possibly the least reckless person out there. Although some posters have said otherwise.

#8298 03/03/08 01:55 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I enjoyed the entire issue. Having stories that focus on a handful of Legionnaires at a time really drives character development. By featuring three or four groups in each issue, the stories move along at a much better pace than the Waid version ever did. I think Shooter and Cary Bates are the two best Legion writers of all time at this. I hope this format is continued and rotates various Legionnaires in and out of the lineup with each other.

I'm also liking the artwork. I think this run will really make some waves during the 50th anniversary year.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#8299 03/03/08 03:41 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I enjoyed the entire issue. Having stories that focus on a handful of Legionnaires at a time really drives character development. By featuring three or four groups in each issue, the stories move along at a much better pace than the Waid version ever did. I think Shooter and Cary Bates are the two best Legion writers of all time at this. I hope this format is continued and rotates various Legionnaires in and out of the lineup with each other.

I would actually like to see a second Legion book since there are so many members - they can kind of do what the X-Men did. One book is the "Gold" team while the other is the "Blue" team. Lightning Lad can be the leader of the Gold team while someone else can be of the Blue team.

That way everyone gets to see all their favorites...

#8300 03/03/08 03:50 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'd be opposed to any formal splitting of teams between two books, but I'd be happy to have a second book, ala the 90s when we had LSH and Legionnaires, so long as quality can be maintained.

#8301 03/03/08 04:16 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
They show 3 Duty Rosters on a screen in the issue.

On the 1st & 2nd screen, it says the following: "Dream Boy: HQ - Off Duty"

On the 3rd screen it says the following: "Dreamer: HQ - Off Duty"

I am really hoping "Dreamer" was NOT a typo and that she will be back - alive in a body and known as Dreamer.
There does not appear to be a lot of response to the fact that the mission monitor board suddenly shows Dreamer instead of Dream Boy (sorry if I missed another thread), but I am terribly titillated by what it could mean... particularly in light of Dreamer's relationship with Brainy. She has some sort of existence in his head, right? As shown on the mission monitor boards, Brainy had just used a wormhole teleportation technology he created when "Dreamer" showed up instead of "Dream Boy"... who knows what his original intent behind the wormhole tech could be, whether it was limited to teleportation purposes, or what kind of physics (or comic book pseudo-physics) he could be working with? I sure hope Dreamy is on her way back.

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#8302 03/04/08 02:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's hard to know what to make of that Dream Boy/Dreamer business. I've wondered how she could be brought back corporeally without going too far into the ridiculous/impossible. I also wonder if there's going to be some crisis-related mish-mash with other versions of the Legion. Why else call the person Dreamer instead of Dream Girl?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#8303 03/04/08 04:58 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by rokk steady:
There does not appear to be a lot of response to the fact that the mission monitor board suddenly shows Dreamer instead of Dream Boy (sorry if I missed another thread), but I am terribly titillated by what it could mean... particularly in light of Dreamer's relationship with Brainy. She has some sort of existence in his head, right? As shown on the mission monitor boards, Brainy had just used a wormhole teleportation technology he created when "Dreamer" showed up instead of "Dream Boy"... who knows what his original intent behind the wormhole tech could be, whether it was limited to teleportation purposes, or what kind of physics (or comic book pseudo-physics) he could be working with? I sure hope Dreamy is on her way back.
Nothing would make me more happier than to see Nura back, especially with the name Dreamer. She is the reason I started reading the Legion. It is quite possible that her body teleported away and she was using Astral Dream Projection to contact Brainy the whole time. Astral/Dream Travel/Projection would be a cool addition to Dreamy's powers.

There was that look that Dreamy gave right before she died...maybe she finally foresaw what was going to happen. Maybe she felt it would bring her & Brainy closer together - everything went as planned possibly.

Hopefully she will look the same as she did in the Waid run as I loved her costume especially the cool bracers she wore. I think Francis would draw a great Dreamy.

#8304 03/04/08 01:23 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
After reading the issue, it struck me that Dream Boy and Dreamer (Dream Girl) may somehow be more closely related than simply from the same planet, and may actually be one and the same person (like Brainy would actually need more issues than he already has!)

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#8305 03/04/08 01:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I enjoyed this issue - it was a bit of a filler plot-wise but it kept things ticking over nicely. The art was great but the colours were all over the place - loads of errors and overall there wasn't the same finesse that we've seen in previous issues.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#8306 03/04/08 02:59 PM
Deputy
Deputy
JD Smith is the new colorist FJM mentioned a while ago, I believe. The coloring in this issue looks bleaker than the two previous, but since the story took place at night time, I didn't think about it until now.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,334
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legionnaire888
Legionnaire888
Earth-Henderson,NV
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star