Roll Call
0 members (), 8 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:00 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/19/24 07:50 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Writers who honestly make you want to drop a book
Cobalt Kid #819422 09/08/14 03:08 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
^Oh, and in fairness to Giffen, the thing I most dislike about 5YL, S. Erin, came from Al Gordon and the Bierbaums, so I don't blame Giffen for that.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #819424 09/08/14 03:20 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally Posted by Paladin
Pan him all you want for his skills or perceived lack thereof, but when you villify a guy for daring to color outside the lines, that strikes a nerve.

In regards to his current artwork style, I don't like it, but I can see what he is trying to do. As for his story telling, I don't think it is so much that he is coloring outside the lines as he does stuff that as someone else mentioned, shows more disdain for the characters than innovation. And I am not talking about having to keep characters as they are. For example (and I know this is going back decades) The Bwha-ha-0ha Justice League. I don't mind a bit of humor in serious comics, but Giffen tried to turn it into a humor book. The Justice League is not and should not be a humor book.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Cobalt Kid #819425 09/08/14 03:23 PM
Well said, Quis. To reiterate something I said on the previous page, JLI started out as a refreshing alternative to grim 'n gritty, but the unhinged buffoonery that quickly ensued turned it into something just as bad in its own way.

Fanfic Lady #819426 09/08/14 03:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Pan him all you want for his skills or perceived lack thereof, but when you villify a guy for daring to color outside the lines, that strikes a nerve.

I would never intend to villify someone for daring to color outside the lines. If I've ever come across that way to you, Lardy, then I apologize.

Nothing to apologize for. It wasn't directed at you and, in a way, not at Rob-Em, either. It's more directed at the Big Two and how their practices of protecting IP foremost have virtually killed my interest in most of the characters I've loved all my life.

I've certainly been a hypocrite about this in various points of my fandom. I suppose most people who like what Bendis did to the Avengers would scream, "J'accuse!", at me for condemning it. In that case I argue that it was less of a change in creative direction and more of crass commercial move. I mean, all other things he did aside, the core concept was adding Wolverine and Spider-Man as linchpin members akin to the Big Three for no other reason than to bring blockbuster sales. Well, mission accomplished, I suppose.

I don't think 5YL or JLI were an early case of the same thing Bendis would later do. Neither were calculated sales gimmicks and took creative directions that went against the grain.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Cobalt Kid #819430 09/08/14 03:34 PM
I suppose most people who like what Bendis did to the Avengers would scream, "J'accuse!", at me for condemning it. In that case I argue that it was less of a change in creative direction and more of crass commercial move. I mean, all other things he did aside, the core concept was adding Wolverine and Spider-Man as linchpin members akin to the Big Three for no other reason than to bring blockbuster sales. Well, mission accomplished, I suppose.

Actually, Wolverine and Spider-Man was Mark Millar's idea. Marvel let Bendis put Spider-Woman and Luke Cage in the Avengers in exchange for putting the company's two biggest icons in the Avengers. Whether or not that was good is for history to decide. My non-LW friend Matt loves the Bendis era, and I've had some always-civil, always-interesting discussions with him on that.

Fanfic Lady #819431 09/08/14 03:36 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq

In regards to his current artwork style, I don't like it, but I can see what he is trying to do. As for his story telling, I don't think it is so much that he is coloring outside the lines as he does stuff that as someone else mentioned, shows more disdain for the characters than innovation. And I am not talking about having to keep characters as they are. For example (and I know this is going back decades) The Bwha-ha-0ha Justice League. I don't mind a bit of humor in serious comics, but Giffen tried to turn it into a humor book. The Justice League is not and should not be a humor book.
Well said, Quis. To reiterate something I said on the previous page, JLI started out as a refreshing alternative to grim 'n gritty, but the unhinged buffoonery that quickly ensued turned it into something just as bad in its own way.

Even I'll admit that the humor went off the rails after a while, sometimes at the cost of a good story. But, man--I would take the excessive lightheartedness over constant impalement and dismemberment in modern times ANY day!

I don't see, though, why Justice league can't be a humor book. Except that it was never a humor book previously. That's not a sound enough argument for me. shrug

Fanfic Lady #819432 09/08/14 03:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I suppose most people who like what Bendis did to the Avengers would scream, "J'accuse!", at me for condemning it. In that case I argue that it was less of a change in creative direction and more of crass commercial move. I mean, all other things he did aside, the core concept was adding Wolverine and Spider-Man as linchpin members akin to the Big Three for no other reason than to bring blockbuster sales. Well, mission accomplished, I suppose.

Actually, Wolverine and Spider-Man was Mark Millar's idea. Marvel let Bendis put Spider-Woman and Luke Cage in the Avengers in exchange for putting the company's two biggest icons in the Avengers. Whether or not that was good is for history to decide. My non-LW friend Matt loves the Bendis era, and I've had some always-civil, always-interesting discussions with him on that.

Well, whoever's idea it was, the motive behind it was clear. Though it's generally good to have Luke and Jessica in the forefront, there's no justifying putting a character who had four ongoings already and another who still maintained his membership in several X-books for any other reason than wanking sales.

Lard Lad #819433 09/08/14 03:44 PM

Well, whoever's idea it was, the motive behind it was clear. Though it's generally good to have Luke and Jessica in the forefront, there's no justifying putting a character who had four ongoings already and another who still maintained his membership in several X-books for any other reason than wanking sales.

Agreed 100%. I only brought it up because I enjoy any chance I get to make Millar look bad. wink grin

Fanfic Lady #819436 09/08/14 03:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

Agreed 100%. I only brought it up because I enjoy any chance I get to make Millar look bad. wink grin

At least we'll always have your Swamp Thing, Mark! kiss

grin

Cobalt Kid #819479 09/08/14 08:30 PM
LOL lol

I didn't read it, but I read all the issue synopses at the now-defunct Roots of the Swamp Thing web resource. It didn't seem like my thing at all, but I will admit it didn't seem as cynical and calculating as his later work.

Lardy and other fans of that run should know, if they don't know already, that the first few issues are being collected in a trade due later this year.

Cobalt Kid #819487 09/08/14 09:23 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Bendis has rubbed me the wrong way since Disassembled.....he does interesting character beats, but doesn't write characters true to their history unless he likes them. His Daredevil and Spider-Man are awesome but he's character assassinated just about every other established character he's written. I also find that if he doesn't personally like the character he writes them as really bitter stupid horrible people. Everyone harbours a petty grudge against someone else, and the only reason most of them are labelled heroes is because their bullying is supported by the status quo. Also everyone has the exact same voice. Emma Frost sounds like Storm sounds like Tony Stark. It's really lazy.

I also can't stand reading anything by Tom DeFalco. Nothing against the guy's storytelling skills, but I just can't cope with his dialogue and flowery narrative style.

Lard Lad #819649 09/09/14 07:44 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Originally Posted by Rob-Em
I think Giffen has interesting, inventive ideas but no self-control. He seems incapable of considering (or frankly, caring) how his story ideas affect the characters and/or property long term. I think he needs either a strong co-writer or editor (or both) - someone whom he respects enough that when they tell him "No Keith, that's not going to happen in this comic," he listens. Levitz, Alan Grant, Karen Berger fall in that category. The Bierbaums, the 5YL editors, and whichever glorified intern DC has editing its books now do not.

Okay, this is a bit of a tangent, but essentially we're condemning Keith because he tries different things. One reason that I almost completely shun the Big Two these days is essentially because they so fiercely protect their IP so much as to make the stories stagnant. We know the headliners and most of the supporting players are in no danger, even when they "die" and/or are replaced, so why bother to read? For me, the only reason I would read these now is if they're exceptionally well-crafted, and once they aren't anymore, I drop them.

Giffen and his 5YL creators are criticized on every front by their detractors for what they say are bad storytelling and poor treatment of characters. But the loudest voices say it was too dark and too different from how the book had been.

When the book was relaunched, Baxter/Vol. 3 had been in a downward spiral in sales and quality. Maybe it was Levitz overstaying his welcome. Maybe it was the continuity spike that Crisis had wrought. Or maybe people were just getting bored with the LSH. Whatever the case, it was time for a change. DC could either move forward with the same basic status quo with new creators, or they could do something more radical to change things up. We know which route was taken, for better or worse.

Legion fandom will forever be divided as to its merits, but I applaud Giffen and his collaborators for taking a huge chance that, imo, was respectful as much as it could be to what had gone before without being completely enslaved by it. Dark as it was, it was still the Legion at its heart but moved bravely forward instead of keeping things essentially the same. Ironically, it lasted about five years.

I don't expect everyone to admire Keith. He's certainly more "miss" than "hit" with me, in case anyone's wondering--especially when he doesn't have a strong co-writer. But I applaud his continual determination not to give us the same old-same old crap recycled with a different coating. Pan him all you want for his skills or perceived lack thereof, but when you villify a guy for daring to color outside the lines, that strikes a nerve.

For what it's worth, I'm in the camp that appreciates 5YL for what it was - then and now - ambitious, inventive, and surprisingly optimistic, if you think about it. I like the idea that many of the more mature Legionnaires decided, as the galaxy was falling apart, to give up super-hero adventuring in favor of careers like feeding the galaxy, holding together what was left of the economy, and training others to defend the borders. Clever way of removing older members from active duty but keeping them in the book as supporting cast.

Also, I generally like Keith's work, especially his willingness to try new things. But he can sometimes come across as petulant. When you destroy the Earth because you think it will make a good story, that's one thing. When you destroy the Earth on your way out the door as a curve ball to those who follow you because you're aggravated with editorial, that's another. Hm, I guess it could seem like I'm vilifying him again, but seriously, I'm just trying to be balanced. I like his work, but I can understand why he gets under other people's skin.

Cobalt Kid #819654 09/09/14 08:38 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Beyond his writing, Giffen's artwork took a huge spiral downward during his second Legion run on the Baxter series and 5YL Legion. Dear god, those were some ugly Legionnaires. Not even their mothers could love those faces! tongue

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Cobalt Kid #819711 09/10/14 09:53 AM
Reservist
Reservist
I have not and won't read anything by Giffen. It started with Magic Wars and 5YL. Since then I have not liked a single thing he has done.

Cobalt Kid #819802 09/10/14 06:44 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Oh, in response to the actual topic of this thread - Scott Lobdell. During his recent stint with DC, he made reading Superman unpleasant, which I didn't think possible for me.

Cobalt Kid #834515 01/11/15 08:32 PM
Rick Remender, of Uncanny Avengers and Captain America infamy. He's Marvel's version of Geoff Johns, only worse. Like Johns, he started out with promise, but his writing quickly became more grotesque and self-indulgent. But the reason he's worse than Johns is because Johns at least doesn't publicly insult his critics -- Remender does.

Fanfic Lady #834519 01/11/15 08:54 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Rick Remender, of Uncanny Avengers and Captain America infamy. He's Marvel's version of Geoff Johns, only worse. Like Johns, he started out with promise, but his writing quickly became more grotesque and self-indulgent. But the reason he's worse than Johns is because Johns at least doesn't publicly insult his critics -- Remender does.

Remender seems to a bit of a dunderhead, on several levels. The very first issue of his Uncanny Avengers run, he's got Scarlet Witch using reality-manipulating powers she lost months previously, in Children's Crusade, and he has Havok shooting Captain America's shield to provide him some lift up into the air, which, as tube worms that live in deep sea vents and don't know what comic books are could tell you, wouldn't work, since Cap's shield absorbs impact. Havok couldn't 'push' it back with his plasma blasts any more than Thor could.

Too many scenes seemed to be written for the 'cool visual' factor, despite making not an ounce of sense. (Rogue was also shown using inconsistent powers.)

There are characters he could have used that would have worked in the scenes he wrote, or there are other cool things they could have done that would have accomplished the same thing. (Indeed, Cap and Havok might have looked cleverer if they worked within their respective niches, and Scarlet Witch would have looked a hell of a lot more impressive if she'd faced down Thor using her hex bolts to cause him no end of 'bad luck.' 'Too bad about that gas main exploding under your feet.' 'Too bad about that SHIELD drone sucking some debris into a duct and falling out of the sky onto your head.' 'Too bad about that stroke. Ever consider not eating so much fatty food at those Asgardian feasts?')

Just sloppy writing, very much in the style of Bendis, who also likes to make 'cinematic' scenes that don't necessarily fit the characters he's chosen to (or been assigned to) use.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Cobalt Kid #834520 01/11/15 08:55 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I agree on Remender. When I first paid any attention to Remender, I was hugely impressed by how he got me to sit up and take notice, and hardily enjoy two 90's concepts I've always found annoying, X-Force and Venom. For about a year, he was a classic creator to watch.

But that only lasted 12 months. Basically everything he's done in the last 5 years or so have been pretty garbage, and I've come to think I might as well be throwing my money in the trash when I buy his stuff. There are plenty of reasons to feel this way, but to me, the #1 problem is his stuff just so freaking boring. Nothing happens, everyone does what is expected, and things take 12 issues to get from A to B even though there is the illusion of other things going on. In his attempt to be edgy, he's so cliche and predictable that it's annoying.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 01/11/15 08:56 PM.
Cobalt Kid #834686 01/12/15 06:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What is Brian Michael Bendis' appeal?

Cobalt Kid #834688 01/12/15 06:14 PM
Bendis has a similar appeal to Quentin Tarantino -- the same rapid-fire, self-consciously "clever", pop-culture-saturated dialogue, the same playing around with the tropes of crime drama.

Neither of them is my cup of tea.

Cobalt Kid #834691 01/12/15 06:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Bendis: Goodwill from years old issues of Powers. Powers has long since nosedived if the last issue I read was anything to go by.

Remender: I've read some of the End League, a couple of Uncanny Avengers issues and had a quick look at one indy issue in the shop. The writing just wasn't of a standard for me to want to continue reading it. Having read the comment above, I do agree that there was very little momentum to the plot, much like Bendis.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Cobalt Kid #834701 01/12/15 06:25 PM
I just Wiki-ed "The End League". All I can say is:

puke

Cobalt Kid #834706 01/12/15 06:29 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I can barely remember it. Super hero icons at the apocalypse? It was a bit of a frustrating mess quite early on.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #834707 01/12/15 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by thothkins
Super hero icons at the apocalypse?

That's it in a nutshell -- multimedia-franchise-ready high-concept lowest-common-denominator twaddle, very Millar-esque.

Fanfic Lady #834710 01/12/15 06:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
...very Millar-esque.

Was it that bad? smile

I do recall the characters being utter rip offs, put into an idea that was one trick, and um... not much really happening beyond keeping it on life support, tickling away the panels.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,464
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star