Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added SUNSWORD 5 May*
by razsolo - 05/04/24 11:08 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Tournament Draft Thread- First Round Announced
#851301 05/17/15 11:56 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
This is the official Draft Thread for the Tournament. All drafting, stat discussion, and trading will occur in this thread. Please feel free to argue amongst yourselves about the given stat of a character; I will change the stat based on the majority of the feedback. Please feel free to reverence panels

The Rules
Explanation of the Statistic System

A couple of years ago, I began developing a point system for a detailed Tournament. I have taken that system and am in the process of perfecting it. I think I would give each player 150 points to start with. I want to emphasis that I personally can stat all the characters you choose, just ask or provide an estimate and I will help you. Please note that this still has room for change. As I am sick at home today with a root canal until 3:15 P.M Central Time, I am free to answer any questions you may have.

The point system I have developed has a normal range of 5-100. Five is starting point for average humans (any similar species) civilians with no combat training or skills which would be useful to a battle. There are a few characters that I would rank less, such as super-powered animals. I will now give a brief description of how each strata of points works. I will use examples of characters from DC to demonstrate how it works.

Less Than Ten
Characters that would be worth less than ten encompasses a wide range of characters. It can range from the heroes boyfriend/girlfriend to up-and-coming street-levelers. Since we are starting at a total of 150 points, it may be possible to have excess points. In that case, I will allow characters to use them for a variety of purposes, including recruiting characters less than 10 points.

Examples of Character worth less than 10 Points
Lois Lane- 7 (I give her two points for combat training and investigative skills which might be useful for battle preparation)
Arrowette- 8 (I give her three points for combat training, weaponry, and her overall experience. Most "sidekicks" will be stated at 8 since stats are usually pulled from most recent appearances)

Ten Point Characters
Ten Points is the typical worth of a top street-level character. It is also the low end of a majority of characters with superpowers*. Most Adventure Era versions of the Legion characters would be prized at ten-to-fifteen points at the start of their career, depending whether of not you want to give them a flight ring.

*= Notable exceptions being characters with low level powers, such as Fruit Boy (Threeboot)

Examples of Ten-Pointers
Batman- 10
Karate Kid- 10 (15 with flight ring)
Magno Lad- (15 with Legion Academy training)
Wildcat (Pre-Flashpoint)- 11 (debatable quasi-immortality)

Twenty Point Characters
We are now entering the mid-tier characters. This category usually encompasses characters that have one mid-level power or whose powers make them greater than human in terms of super-strength/durability.

Example of 20-Pointers
Black Lightning- 25 (experience with Outsiders)
Sun Boy- 25 (powers and experience, 30 with flight ring)

30- Pointers
This is the general mid-tier section. These characters often have either one very strong power or multiple low-mid level powers. If you are unsure where your hero fits on the strata, this is a good area to guess (and I'll take a look at it).

Examples of 30-Pointers
Rookie Terran (from Earth) Green Lanterns
Starman- 30 (multiple powers from the Cosmic Rod)
Johnny Quick- 35 (vibrating through objects sub-power)
Ultra Boy- 30 (multiple low-mid level powers)
Halo (Outsiders)- 30 (multiple low-level powers)
Beast Boy (New Teen Titans)- 35 (extra points for experience)

Forty Pointers
A character worth forty points has at least two strong powers. There characters are often half-alien or are alien children just beginning their training on Earth. They may also be magicians. These characters may not be very common in the Tournament because they are in-between the very common 30-pointers and the very valuable 50-pointers.

Examples of 40-Pointers
Superboy (Kon-El)- 40 (half-alien)
The Flash (Barry)- 45 (multiple strong powers, including time travel)
Miss Martian- 40 (alien)
White Witch- 45

50-Pointers
These characters typically have three or more strong powers. These characters are the typically the strongest in their respective category. Or they are literally their power. The dividing line between these characters and over 50-pointers is mortality. For the purpose of the first Tournament, this will be the highest level of recruit-able characters.

Examples of 50-Pointers
Power Girl (Pre-Flashpoint)- 50
Donna Troy (Pre-Crisis)- 50
Firestorm- 50
Wildfire- 50

Multiple Versions
I will take into account different versions of characters when stating. If you want a specific version of the character, please tell me or I will assume you mean the most recent version (with the possible exception of Post-Flashpoint characters since they are still pretty recent).

Example: Richard Grayson
Robin (Grayson)- 8 Points
Nightwing (circa New Teen Titans)- 9
Nightwing (Most Recent Version)- 10
Batman (Grayson)- 10

It is now time for the Street-Level Draft Round. It is time to draft characters worth 10 points or less.You can draft characters from any existing comic book company. It does not matter if they are a hero or villain. Please keep in mind that your total of points is 150. You must have at least four characters on your team and the maximum is 8 excluding less than 10-pointers.

Common Examples of 10-Point Street-Level Characters Among the Big Two
Bullseye
Blue Beetle II
The Punisher
Deadshot
Batman
Elektra
Lady Shiv

This will either be the simplest or most complicated round because the definition of Street-Lever is very broad. It might be best to think of back-ups in case others disagree with their point value. For any Indie character, please specify which company they are from. Thank you, and happy drafting!

Team Invisible Brainic
Martian Manhunter- 50 points
Gates (Retro-Boot)- 40 points
Kinetix (Non-Terrorform)- 30 points
Kid Quantum II (Non-Time Traveler)- 30 points

Team Thoth Lad
Amazo - 50 points
Vanisher- 35 points
Ultra Boy- 35 points (with flight ring)
Ambrose Chase- 30 points

Team Emily Sivana
Adam Warlock (Modern)- 50 points
Quentin Quire- 25 points
Magma- 30 points
Nightshade- 30 points
Stature- 15 points

Team Blacula
Flash (Barry Allen) 45
Atom (Ray Palmer) 35
Deadman (Boston Brand) 20
Mento (Steve Dayton) 20
Celsius (Arani Caulder) 20
Karate Kid (Val Armor) 10

Team Power Boy
Binary 50
Dr Spectrum 30
Smasher 35 (with flight patch)
Vance Astro 20
Moon Knight- 15

Last edited by Emily Sivana; 06/24/15 09:47 PM. Reason: updated picks

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: Tournament Draft Thread- Round 1
Emily Sivana #851313 05/17/15 12:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
So we're supposed to pick our 50-pointers now?

I call Martian Manhunter!

(and I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but where would non-Terrorform Kinetix fall? between 30 to 40 points?)

Invisible Brainiac #851318 05/17/15 12:40 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
If you want a 50-pointer, you can recruit him/her now. If you do not want one, just type "I pass this round" so I can get a good estimate as to how much time to give between rounds.

Kinetix was a telekinetic, right? Would you want her at the start of her career or based on her last non-Terrorform appearance? If it is the later, please give a rough estimate as to how long she was on the team at the point.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Emily Sivana #851334 05/17/15 06:53 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, I went ahead and recruited Martian Manhunter.

Yes, Kinetix was a telekinetic who could also change the forms of objects.

Can I get point estimates for:

1) Last non-Terrorform appearance with the team (approximately 120 issues combined of both Legionnaires and Legion of Super-Heroes)/5 years

2) Last non-Terrorform appearance as a non-Legionnaire but with Science Police training/membership (after the 120 issues I mentioned above, the Legion was disbanded. She then joined the Science Police).

thanks!

Also, how about Gates? He was a teleporter. His full tenure with the team would have been about 150 issues.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/17/15 06:54 PM.
Emily Sivana #851340 05/17/15 07:06 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Great, I'll edit the Original post to reflect your decision. You now have 100 points to work with. Do you want another 50-pointer or will you save your points for later?

1) Kinetix (non-Terrorform) last appearance with team- 30
2) Kinetix (non-Terrorform) w. Science Police training- 35

I need to know the extent of Gate's powers. Is it short distance like Nightcrawler? Or is it cross-galaxy like Lila Cheney's? Or can it be cross-dimensional like Magik's?

Emily Sivana #851347 05/17/15 07:49 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks. I think I'll save my points for now. Thanks also for assigning points to Kinetix.

Gates originally had a limit of about 50 meters, but later appearances had him teleporting from planet to planet. Perhaps to be consistent, let us limit him to intraplanetary teleportation

Emily Sivana #851606 05/20/15 04:45 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Sorry guys, hectic week so I've not had a chance to think on this one. Will post soon as I can though.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Emily Sivana #851723 05/21/15 05:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Could I get Amazo please? In case there's a dreadful recent version, I'll like the '90s JLA option.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Emily Sivana #851810 05/22/15 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Sure, you can have Amazo. I will edit the original post to reflect your choice.

I am choosing Adam Warlock (Modern) as my 50-point character.

I am thinking it might be best just to keep going through the rounds as quickly as possible, and if any new players come in they can get higher level characters during the Trade Round.

Do you think that is a good idea?

Emily Sivana #851813 05/22/15 06:03 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Fine by me.

Emily Sivana #851822 05/22/15 07:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yup, okay with me.

Emily Sivana #851837 05/22/15 08:43 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The thread has been updated to reflect that we are ready for round two. This might take a lot of time because this is where a lot of our points will go. Though the 10-point round is going to be the funnest for me because between the Spider-Man, Flash, and Batman Rogue's galleries, it contains the most characters to choose from.

Emily Sivana #851963 05/23/15 09:54 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
What tier of characters will we be picking this round?

Emily Sivana #852053 05/24/15 07:48 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
We will be handling all the Mid-Tier (20-49 points) characters at once due to the fact that it is going to be easy to argue, for example, that a character is worth 30 points instead of 25. Please continue drafting characters one at a time. If you either of you are saving the remainder of your points (100 for both of you) for 10-pointers/less than ten point characters, please type "I pass this round" so I know you are ready.

Emily Sivana #852055 05/24/15 08:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I will take Kinetix then, with no science police training.

Do you have a point estimate for Gates by the way?

Emily Sivana #852079 05/24/15 11:57 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I would price Gates at 40 points because of the distance he can teleport. Kinetix if worth 30 points, so that would a total of 120 points used. You would have 30 points to use for other characters.

Emily Sivana #852092 05/24/15 06:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, Emily.

I will have to think of some good characters to complete my team then...

Re: Tournament Draft Thread- Round 2
Emily Sivana #852151 05/25/15 11:51 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Hi,

Could I please have points estimates for Ambrose Chase - multiple powers but operating on a pretty localised area. I see Starman on the list at 30 which may be slightly comparable.

and

Aza Chorn - probably 40 if Gates is anything to go by.

Also Plastic Man - One strong power but he's quite versatile - 20-25?

Emily Sivana #852159 05/25/15 11:59 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Hi Emily, can I also get estimates for the following:

Kid Quantum II

XS

Emily Sivana #852198 05/25/15 07:05 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Ambrose Chase- I will go by 30 points since it is middle-of-the-road and they way he uses his powers in those images don't suggest anything on the scale of Firestorm.

Aza Chorn- This sounds like Lila Cheney; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lila_Cheney level power. Does he/she have any weaknesses?

Plastic Man- At least 30 points because he can also shift-shape a well as stretch.

Kid Quantum II- 35 points since time related powers are very powerful and most time travelers are banned in general in other Tournaments. I'm only allowing her since it appears her ability to time travel is similar to Magick's, i.e. very limited.

XS- 20 points as I assume she has the vibrate-through-objects sub-power. Her biography makes it sound like she used the time travel sub-power at least once by accident, so I took that into account as well.

I am drafting Quentin Quire for 25 points.

Emily Sivana #852205 05/25/15 08:19 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks Emily. Appreciate the point estimates.

For Kid Quantum II, what if I pick the version without time travel powers? She only used them once, and that was when time was in flux/being erased. Without time travel, she will be left with the ability to speed up and slow down time only.

Will the 40 points for Gates hold if he can only teleport within a planet? No interplanetary distances?

Emily Sivana #852211 05/25/15 08:38 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I would downgrade her to 30 points if there is a version without time travel powers. Please just specify what period of the comics that was so I can label it accordingly.

I priced Gates at 40 points since am vaguely aware of the character and can see potential weaknesses for him, whereas I never read Miracleman and need to make sure these Warpsmiths are not deity level in power. I will be willing to reroll Gates for you if you can point to comic book issues in which he primarily used his powers within the planet instead of interplanetary. If you can't show a consistent power-level, I advise either leaving him at 40 points or picking a different character.

Emily Sivana #852221 05/25/15 11:12 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, Emily.

For Kid Qquantum II, before Legion 25/Foundations she only ever displayed time manipulation. No time travel.

For Gates, up to Legion of 3 Worlds he only went intra-planet. Legionnaires 45 specifically limited him to teleporting onto a planetary surface from a spacecraft parked near the atmosphere, and that he could not teleport "across light years".

Hope this helps. Although, I might end up drafting Kid Q -- with no time travel, and interplanetary Gates.

Emily Sivana #852424 05/27/15 06:16 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Do you wish to lock these characters for your use then? I will update the first post once I get a response.

Emily Sivana #852425 05/27/15 06:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yes please! So that would give me Martian Manhunter, Kinetix without Science Police training, interplanetary teleporter Gates and Kid Quantum II with no time travel. I I did my math right then I have used up all 150 points.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,113
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star