Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/21/24 09:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/21/24 08:47 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/21/24 06:16 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/21/24 03:08 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 01:58 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 68 of 86 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge #851025 05/15/15 04:18 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Go see Mad Max Fury Road!!

George Miller returns, Mel Gibson thankfully doesn't (Tom Hardy plays Max this go round.)

Miller's cinematic vision has not diminished with age. Rather, it has become clearer and richer. And with advanced technology plus a budget to do his vision full justice for the first time, he actually surpasses The Road Warrior!

Now let's just hope Hardy doesn't turn into a drooling reactionary bastard when he gets older, so with can watch this again and again without any guilt.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Ultra Jorge #851026 05/15/15 04:23 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I've been hearing really good things about the new Mad Max movie, Fanfie. I haven't seen any of the original films though. Would I still be able to understand everything that's happening?

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 05/15/15 04:24 PM.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Ultra Jorge #851029 05/15/15 04:41 PM
Stalgie, I'm happy to confirm that Mad Max Fury Road is completely accessible even if you haven't seen the earlier ones.

I do recommend you watch The Road Warrior sometime, it's by far the best of the first three.

Ultra Jorge #851030 05/15/15 04:47 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I also give a thumbs up for the Road Warrior. I saw it again a few years ago and still enjoyed it, although there are some gruesome/bleak bits.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ultra Jorge #851342 05/17/15 07:23 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I just got back from Mad Max: Road Fury and I was delighted to find that Fanfie's assessment held up pretty well! smile

I've never been a Charlize Theron fan, but she does remarkably well in her role here, playing a strong female character AND there's no forced subplot about her and Max developing a relationship. Plus, the kickass biker gang grannies were a ton of fun!

The best way I can think to describe this movie is Fast and Furious on crack. The one thing that always held me back from enjoying the F&F movies on any level, either genuine or ironic, is how dumb the plots are in every movie. However, Miller has created a universe that is as much fun to explore as the action itself. Small additions make the film a visual treat and it's clear Miller is relishing in this opportunity to take his vision from his old films into the modern era without compromising it.

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 05/18/15 01:03 AM.

Ultra Jorge #851406 05/18/15 09:08 AM
Glad you liked the movie, Stalgie. I concur with all the points in your review. I've never been a Charlize Theron fan, either, but she really rocked this role.

Ultra Jorge #851666 05/20/15 09:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Flash: brilliant season finale, Avengeresque!

IZombie: previous ep took a turn I didn't care for and thought they didn't do a great job following that up. Disappointing but the characters and actors remain my favorites of the comic book shows.

Ultra Jorge #852678 05/30/15 09:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
IZombie: going to be a second season. Has generally high ratings on rottentomato.

Anyone else watching?

Ultra Jorge #852835 06/01/15 08:17 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
In Canada iZombie is exclusively on demand on the Shomi network (I think they appear the day after broadcast in the states). We typically wait a few weeks and watch 2 or 3 at once, but it's been very good.

Ultra Jorge #853228 06/04/15 06:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
People who don't watch IZombie = people with no brains.

Ultra Jorge #853580 06/07/15 06:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm all caught up on the current season of Orphan Black. With 2 eps to go this season, it continues to be a wildly entertaining series. While some of the conspiracy stuff confuses me, what is never confusing is the great talent of star Tatiana Maslany for convincingly portraying numerous distinctive clones.

This most recent episode I thought was a great showcase for her as pretty much all of her known, living clones got a great share of the spotlight in one normal-sized episode. If any of them could be said to have gotten short shrift this episode it was the unbalanced Russian Helena, but even her couple of brief scenes were memorable and one particularly hilarious. In addition to all the regular clones, we got to meet a new one who was barely glimpsed previously. Tatiana is utterly convincing in each role to the point where suspending disbelief is a non-issue. The lady deserves to be nominated for and win an Emmy, and this episode should be Exhibit A.

Otherwise, my favorite character to watch this season has been that of Donnie, the husband of soccer mom clone Alison (who herself may be my favorite clone). Almost every scene he's been in has been comic gold, and he has become much more prominent as the couple embarks on their own "Breaking Bad"-style plotline.

In my opinion the actor portraying the various male clones has a long way to go to prove he's anywhere near as talented as Tatiana. Hopefully, he'll get a chance to show what he's got sooner than later.

Otherwise, the overall series arc has been advanced nicely this season, and a few eps back, we got the first death of a longtime character. I'm so glad it's been renewed for a fourth season! I certainly can't recommend Orphan Black highly enough!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #853583 06/07/15 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I watch the first couple episodes of OB. Everyone looked the same to me.....

I agree, it wasn't the easiest show to get into but it's very popular so I think I'll give it another go this summer.

New season of Orange is in a couple days, looking forward to that.

Ultra Jorge #853584 06/07/15 07:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
While I think Orphan Black is really good from the get-go, I always recommend people give it 5 or 6 eps to see just how great it can get.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #853702 06/09/15 05:44 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
As someone who already was a huge Charlize Theron fan (she's like this generations Michelle Pfieffer!), Fury Road was a real treat for me, since she was a badder badass than ever before!

I want to see her in an action movie role now, perhaps as a superhero?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #853703 06/09/15 06:13 AM
Glad you liked the movie, Set. I agree, Theron was impressive.

Ultra Jorge #853706 06/09/15 06:37 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
As for what I'm watching now (ish), I just finished Sense8, and it was... odd.

It was more 'cable channel' sexy than I've seen in other Netflix series, of all different flavors (don't watch this at work!), and had an interesting premise, and several really interesting characters.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #853717 06/09/15 09:38 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Set
As someone who already was a huge Charlize Theron fan (she's like this generations Michelle Pfieffer!), Fury Road was a real treat for me, since she was a badder badass than ever before!

I want to see her in an action movie role now, perhaps as a superhero?

I'm hoping to see Mad Max next week, looking forward to that.

Time flies. She might better be described as LAST generation's Michelle Pfieffer. Theron is headed to 40 yrs.

Not sure who would be this generation's Theron? Probably Jennifer Lawrence?

Ultra Jorge #854077 06/12/15 02:48 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I just got back from a midnight showing of Jurassic World. I haven't been this angry in a movie theater since I saw Transformers 4. Like that terrible showing, at one point I considered leaving the theater. The only difference? When I was watching Transformers, I didn't have a ride to leave even if I wanted to. I actually sat through the entirety of Jurassic World, clenching my fists to keep myself from yelling like Mark Waid when he saw Man of Steel.

I will post more in depth analysis later, but I'm too pissed off right now to form intelligent thoughts. mad mad mad

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 06/12/15 03:00 AM.

Ultra Jorge #854149 06/12/15 05:11 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
My more reasoned thoughts about the film:

The big reason this movie failed for me was that it used the hackneyed "it's a stupid premise so why try at all?" excuse so the filmmakers could bloat out their two hour running time with CGI out the ass and paper thin characters and plotting, both of which are common to the generic summer blockbuster fare we've been getting for the past decade. However, here's the thing: the original Jurassic Park was NOT a stupid Michael Bay piece of junk. Obviously, it had dinosaurs tearing the island a new one and chasing people, but there was meaning to it. It raised interesting questions about the nature of science and our own ignorance of the consequences of progress. Jurassic World, on the other hand, uses the EXACT same theme from the first movie and since it's a sequel there's no fucking reason why anyone would try to build a park a second time! They even have a meta moment where one of the characters brings this same problem up themselves and it's just brushed off as winking fourth wall fan service.

Another big reason this movie doesn't work is how dull and generic the characters are. Chris Pratt's character, Owen Grady, is basically doing his best Han Solo/Indiana Jones impression, but about 10X douchier and with a slight sense of misogyny. The filmmakers paint him as this heroic "man's-man", perfect in every way cliche action hero, so you think that he's going to have some major flaw that screws him over...AND THEN HE DOESN'T! He's literally right about everything that happens in this movie and never undergoes a character arc of his own. He's the exact same douche he was at the beginning of the movie, except now he's got a hot girlfriend and no job. Speaking of his girlfriend, Bryce Dallas Howard's Claire Dearing character is as underwritten as anything else happening in this film. The character is supposed to be this apathetic, career devoted businesswoman who cares little for family or ever settling down and it's obvious that the filmmakers are going to set her up for an arc where she learns to care for other people. However, there's no pivotal point in the story where she suddenly starts caring about her nephews or Owen. She's just cold and removed one minute and the next she's as overprotective as a mother grizzly bear. The romance between her Owen is shoehorned in for the sake of it's own existence and I never for one minute bought that these two people would ever fall in love with each other nor would the sequence of events in the film cause them to like each other since there's never a slow moment where the two share an intimate moment that would show the slightest shred of chemistry. She just shoots a pterodactyl in the head and that somehow gives the two the hots for each other? True love, I guess?

The movie also suffers from the modern genre cinema trope of the overuse of Easter eggs and references that are cute the first time, but quickly become painfully trite when you realize this crap is actually driving the plot along! The two boys discover the remains of the visitor center from the original Jurassic Park and somehow hotwire a jeep that hasn't been used in twenty years to escape from the jungle, even though the motor is probably rusted by then due to constant rain. The worst instance of this, however, is the climax when the Indominus Rex is attacking the protagonists near the front of the park. Claire releases the T-Rex from it's paddock to fight the monster and it basically turns into the shitty Rex vs Spino fight from JP III all over again. Even worse, suddenly velociraptors are working WITH the T-Rex as if they're somehow buddies now, complete with the raptor running into the battle in a slow motion zoom straight out of a bad early 2000's action flick. They even share a glance of approval after the fight like they were rivals in a Fast and the Furious movie or something! It's obvious the movie is trying to buy my love off my nostalgia for the ending to the first movie where the T-Rex saves the people by attacking the raptors, but this ending is nothing more than a brainless dinosaur brawl with no tension or weight. In the original movie, you never knew what character might survive to the end of the movie since the movie was never sold on the popularity of the actors as the main attraction to come see the movie. In Jurassic World's case, all the advertising has advertised the hell out of Pratt and Howard's presences so we know they would never die in the movie so there's no reason to care what happens in the plot since any scene where they are in danger is meaningless. The filmmakers don't have the balls to kill off a rising star like Pratt so there's no sense of dread when the dinosaurs attack since we know he'll never die. It's tedious and boring.

Last edited by Kappa Kid; 05/31/16 06:21 AM.

Ultra Jorge #854154 06/12/15 06:18 PM
Sorry to learn it was such crap, Stalgie.

The way you described the movie, it sounds like it ticked off every box in the list of bad modern popcorn movie tropes.

Ultra Jorge #854157 06/12/15 06:57 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I realize that a lot of my complaints sound over-nitpicky and silly, but I was coming from a really personal place with this movie. smile

I saw the first Jurassic Park movie when I was 3 years old (circa 1999ish) and I instantly fell in love with it. It's pretty much the reason I'm such a devoted science fiction fan today. It proved to me that you can have both spectacle AND substance in a blockbuster, that the audience can have an intriguing idea to chew on while a T-Rex as a lawyer to chew on. wink Unlike most of the crap I loved as a kid, it's actually gotten better over time and I can appreciate it even more now, noticing the nuances that Spielberg brought to the table with his direction and the ethical debate that Chrichton proposed in his original novel. Now, Hollywood has mangled this dead franchise for the THIRD time, dumbing the concept down and removing all artistry from it to sell it to the explosion loving blockbuster crowd. mad

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 06/12/15 07:02 PM.

Ultra Jorge #854159 06/12/15 07:09 PM
Over-nitpicky and silly? Not at all. I thought all your criticisms were sound.

Ultra Jorge #854160 06/12/15 07:17 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Thanks, Fanfie! smile

Set #854195 06/12/15 11:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Set
As for what I'm watching now (ish), I just finished Sense8, and it was... odd.

It was more 'cable channel' sexy than I've seen in other Netflix series, of all different flavors (don't watch this at work!), and had an interesting premise, and several really interesting characters.

I binged it up and loved it ... although it did take time for me to figure it out ... i thought it was sci fi ... then a drama ... than an action series ....

the shows got a sense of humor about itself but also has some great characters. Its my new favourite show.

I noticed The Strain is now available on Hulu. I Saw the first episode a while ago but was confused. Is it worth sticking with?

Ultra Jorge #854272 06/13/15 11:57 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Been watching Buffy again, but it's not holding up well.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Page 68 of 86 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,554
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Annoying Lad, DanteSF, Daulton Tripman, lancesrealm
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star