Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 13 Murran Spies, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:47 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:45 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:44 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:43 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:40 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:55 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 70 of 86 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge #857602 07/01/15 03:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've not seen the trailers but I'm hooked enough to want to keep with it. I'll give them a peek. Thanks!

Sense8: Got halfway through the first episode and wasn't sure what to make of it. Didn't have me sold. Went back and finished. It was mostly just taking more than a token amount of attention to appreciate. It's REALLY going to be good I think.

Through the second episode and already at least two scenes I would call "iconic." The actors are real, the mystery is intriguing. Looking forward but not going for the full out binge. I think I'll go rewatch Ep 1 to get all the characters down then move on.

Ultra Jorge #857604 07/01/15 03:24 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I saw Terminator: Genisys last night. That movie had some of the most bizarre, confusing continuity driven plots I've seen. It would DC's Crisis events to shame with the amount of convoluted fan service and retcons! eek

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Ultra Jorge #858491 07/07/15 02:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm digging Humans ... two episodes so far ... reminds me of In the Flesh ... a British zombie show. Also good but about a ten on a scale of one to five on the drama scale! eek

Ultra Jorge #859223 07/11/15 11:59 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
It's with great shame that I report laughing my butt off yesterday over Vol. II from The Found Footage Festival.

Our household now owns a copy of the Wendy's instructional rap video. I don't see how that can be wrong. evil

(helpful link)

Last edited by cleome48; 07/11/15 12:03 PM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #859429 07/12/15 02:15 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I just finished the Netflix Daredevil series. It's as gritty (sometimes grittier, really) as anything Miller, Bendis, et. al ever wrote. Surprisingly, so. There was some R-rated level violence.

It's also a 13-episode novel. There's a beginning and middle that leads to a big finish. Big time character arcs for familiar DD characters like Matt, Foggy, Karen, Ben, Wilson, Vanessa and many others, familiar and unfamiliar. There are some really well-choreographed fights and some moments that will absolutely break your heart.

I loved it.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #859521 07/12/15 03:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Netflix Daredevil was great! I almost stopped watching after episode 1, just because it was so dark. But episode 2, for various reasons including the epic fight scene, drew me into the rest of the series.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Legion Tracker #859525 07/12/15 04:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
Netflix Daredevil was great! I almost stopped watching after episode 1, just because it was so dark. But episode 2, for various reasons including the epic fight scene, drew me into the rest of the series.

I was in from the start. Even though he's not how I had envisioned him, I LOVE FOGGY! Even though you can argue that the actor under-acts in his style, it really works and makes him the most endearing character on the show, imo.

I'm not sure, though, that the final costume worked all that well for me. It certainly doesn't help that we had only part of the very last episode to have a look. At first blush, it seems that's the one thing the Affleck movie has over the show--the costume is better.

Otherwise, no contest. Such a rich story where nothing is forgotten or throwaway. It's no accident that it was so good as it featured three of the biggest talents from Joss whedon's stable of writers/producers: Drew Goddard, Steven S. DeKnight and Doug Petrie. Hopefully, season 2 will hold up to these high standards without DeKnight.

Ultra Jorge #859527 07/12/15 05:04 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Oh, yeah....and Leland Owsley (a.k.a. the Owl) was an unexpected treat on the show, often having the very best lines!

Lard Lad #859545 07/12/15 07:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Paladin

I was in from the start. Even though he's not how I had envisioned him, I LOVE FOGGY! Even though you can argue that the actor under-acts in his style, it really works and makes him the most endearing character on the show, imo.

Oh yeah, I agree! My other fave character was Fisk. I thought the actor did a tremendous job of of showing refinement, discipline, and occasional vulnerability that overlaid power and rage.

Karen was fine but, to be honest, she got on my nerves a lot.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Ultra Jorge #859581 07/12/15 08:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I came in pretty much from scratch, didn't know any of his supporting characters and remembering only he was blind, reading when I was a kid.

The weaker points for me were making him credible and the fights. IMO, it was taking him way too long to dispatch even minor henchmen and they pulled the old, it's your turn attack. It was pretty long into the season before they showed he might be more than just a really hard training blind guy, which made some of the earlier stuff make some sense.

But they more than made up for it with the non-fighting story points and I'm not a fan of D'onofrio, see him as a one trick pony, but I liked him here. Could use a Foggy mini-series to tide me over until the new season. I think he'd make a good lego too.

Cobalt Kid #859616 07/13/15 09:50 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Are you caught up on Orphan Black, Cobie?
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Been waiting until it gets right up until the end of the season and then plan to binge watch with the wife. We *LOVE* that show and tend to watch 3-4 eps at a clip. Can't wait too, because it sounds like its been an awesome season with our girl just knocking it out of the park as usual.

So about a week or two ago, my wife and I caught up on Orphan Black season 3 and binge watched it over 3 days--and just like seasons 1 and 2, flat out loved every single second of it!

It remains one of the best television shows around with an excellent blend of great acting, VERY strong characters and a great sci-fi / conspiracy / mystery tone. I highly recommend it to everyone on this board.

I don't want to repeat a lot of the same stuff I've said again and again during the first two seasons, but I can't help but start by how fucking amazing Tatiana Maslany is as an actress. She is just on a whole other level that most actors never hit. She is in almost every scene, and provides a highly nuanced and personalized performance for four major characters, plus two others that are highly entertaining. She should win every acting aware there is, and when she doesn't, someone should automatically be lynched from the rafters by their testicles.

Specific to this season, I'll jump right into what Lardy teased and whetted my appetite for: Donnie & Allison. Holy shit, they were magnificent this season, and Allison's subplots came to fruition at the perfect time, just as Sara & Helena, and also Kasima, were having some very serious moments. It provided awesome levity and kept the show grounded, something OB is really good at.

And then just when you think Donnie & Allison can't be outdone...enter the best pair-up ever in show history: Donnie and Helena! Bwahahahahahaha! Their moments were so awesome and felt so brief that I wish they would do a webseries of 5 minute adventures or something. And of course, that plotline ended in the awesomely violent way it had to!

I loved the ending of this season with most of the cast finally all sitting down together for the first time ever. I missed having Cal & Kira there, as well as a few others (almost wondering if Gracie and the good clone would ever able to join them), but it still felt like a really great moment. I think Art is a fantastic character and I like when he's utilized, and I love Scott as Kasima's sidekick.

Of course, the best supporting cast member is the amazing Felix and I loved when he tried to pick up the nail salon clone. Ms. S's best moment had to be when she took the stage and blew Sara and Felix's mind, as well my own! Delphine's role this season was different and at first almost unbelievable (that she could rise so fast) but she nailed it and looked damn good doing it, so I quickly was on board.

The big death this season was surprising but a good move, as a bold choice like that needed to be made to show the series is continuing to move forward.

I love a good conspiracy and I think the plot is wonderfully complex. Yet they never let it get in the way of the "moment", and that's also a good choice. Sure, it gets confusing and you probably need an excel spreadsheet and guide to walk you through all the little details, but when it provides moments like Gracie in Sara's goth chick clothes, its worth it.

Now, though, I have to wait a whole year for the next one!!!

Ultra Jorge #859618 07/13/15 09:53 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
PS - given your recent dip into various television shows Lardy, I may have to start recommending a few for you that I think you'll love. I have a bunch I can do that with, since I think after 15 years, I know your tastes pretty well (and how they be similar yet different than mine).

One show I think you'd love, and just trust on me this because you're initial reaction might be to laugh, is Pretty Little Liars. This show is phenomenal! Well acted, well written and tons of fun. But at its heart are several very strong characters wtih a lot of depth that are surrounded by mysteries and things they can't control. I think you'd love it. It's one of my favorite shows, and my wife's too. It actually can be downright scary at times, but its something young teenagers can watch (and in fact I think a lot of their fanbase are in fact teenagers since its on ABC Family).

Ultra Jorge #859620 07/13/15 10:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Watching a fair amount of TV lately.

My wife and I are splitting time between season 1 of iZombie and Season 6 of Justified.

iZombie is a different fish than the book, but once you get past that, the show's pretty solid, with a likable cast. It's in a sort of Buffy zone, though sometimes veers darker.

Justified has been amped up, though in many ways it's been like a victory lap with every still living character from the last 5 seasons popping up to make a cameo (The Crowes, the Bennets, Limehouse, etc). Sam Elliot can't not be cool, and Raylan/Boyd has got to be one of TV's best pairings.

I've also been liking the new True Detective. It's not level with the first one yet (though that's a tall order), but some of the individual parts have been great, just waiting for it coalesce (though the last 20 minutes of the latest episode were super intense).

As always, Last Week Tonight has been great, though I'm starting to find Oliver re-using some comedic bits on different topics. I'm hoping he manages to keep it fresh.

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 07/13/15 10:15 AM.
Ultra Jorge #859622 07/13/15 11:03 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Dave, my wife & I have watched seasons 1-3 of Justified, and loved them, and we've now got the final three seasons as well. So our immediate next watch (after season 2 of the Americans, which we're watching now) will be a full-on 6 season watch / rewatch of Justified. I can't wait. Like you said, the Raylan / Boyd dynamic is as good as it gets.

Ultra Jorge #859625 07/13/15 11:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I finished up Sense8. For me, the overall story arc never took but I still enjoyed it immensely because of the sub-plots and the characters. The characters were so likable, like IZombie, I thought they'd all be people I'd like to hang around (if I were 30 years younger, lol).

Sense8 has some amazingly well done relationships, rivals Orange. I was tense just waiting to see if I was being set up to fall in love with a character just to have them....

If you don't know the premise: 8 people from all around the world all born the same day (they hit that in flashback ep that will eat your emotions) are connected "psychically." The story shows how they discover each other and are able to remotely help each other through various sub-plots. A smart thing they did, so the viewer doesn't have to wait a whole season for relationships to develop, each main character has their own supporting cast of lovers and friends. It's a very positive show and IMO, avoids cliches and tropes rather well.

Cobalt Kid #859736 07/13/15 07:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
PS - given your recent dip into various television shows Lardy, I may have to start recommending a few for you that I think you'll love. I have a bunch I can do that with, since I think after 15 years, I know your tastes pretty well (and how they be similar yet different than mine).

One show I think you'd love, and just trust on me this because you're initial reaction might be to laugh, is Pretty Little Liars. This show is phenomenal! Well acted, well written and tons of fun. But at its heart are several very strong characters wtih a lot of depth that are surrounded by mysteries and things they can't control. I think you'd love it. It's one of my favorite shows, and my wife's too. It actually can be downright scary at times, but its something young teenagers can watch (and in fact I think a lot of their fanbase are in fact teenagers since its on ABC Family).

You are one person whose recommendations of any kind I will always take seriously. So PLL is now on my radar, and I will check it out if and when I can. (I think it's on Netflix?)

Meanwhile, Sons of Anarchy is definitely on Netflix, and I hope to begin binge-watching that next. My mom and brother have been on me to check that one out since forever. I think you've watched that one, too? hmmm

I love that your wife binge-watches shows with you! Mine mostly seems to want to watch reruns of Castle and Bones day-in and day-out, though she loves to watch new TWD with me when it's on. I was impressed with her, though, when she recently watched my Firefly DVDs after randomly catching Serenity on cable and seeing how awesome it was. maybe there's hope for her, yet? grin

Ultra Jorge #859738 07/13/15 07:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
BTW, I take it you don't have Netflix, Cobie? I recently got it because the temptation of the Daredevil series was just too much! I'm dying to know what you would think about that show! You should get the free one-month trial of it just so I can find out what you think! grin nod

Ultra Jorge #859745 07/13/15 08:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Daredevil pulled me into Netflix too. Now that my free month is past and I'm paying, I decided I'm getting my money's worth. (Unlike my cable subscription)

Ultra Jorge #859746 07/13/15 08:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yep, it's hard to compare the value of $8.99/month with Netflix vs. ____ for cable. I must say though that the movie selection isn't as great as I thought it would be in terms of stuff I might be dying to see. But they have the rights to TONS of good TV series worthy of binge-watching, so it's certainly worth much more than the modest cost. I'd have trouble parting with cable, though, because there are enough great/can't miss shows I couldn't stand to wait for.

Lard Lad #859795 07/14/15 09:55 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lots of cool things to discuss here!

You are one person whose recommendations of any kind I will always take seriously. So PLL is now on my radar, and I will check it out if and when I can. (I think it's on Netflix?)

Meanwhile, Sons of Anarchy is definitely on Netflix, and I hope to begin binge-watching that next. My mom and brother have been on me to check that one out since forever. I think you've watched that one, too? hmmm

Yeah, PLL I think is going to wow you by how much you enjoy it. The way the writers utilize the four lead girls with their own subplots and stories, plus how they interact (almost as a “team”) and the overall huge mystery to the series is just brilliant. Comic book writers should take cues from this show.

Meanwhile, Sons of Anarchy is one of the best shows I’ve ever watched. My wife and I just did a full on 7 season watch / rewatch about three months ago and I literally think about it every single day (and so does my wife). I had seen seasons 1-4 before, and got to see 5-7 for the first time; I had been following the show since it debuted. It is brilliant beyond words really and hard to describe. The writing is genius, the acting is incredible, and just about everything from music to the sets / wardrobes and every other detail is great.

Be ready for some heart-wrenching and intense moments and experiences. I know you’ll handle this well because what Sons does that other shows don’t is they truly follow up on the consequences of terrible things happening to a degree that is so realistic that it makes them all the more heart breaking (and in cases when they are overcome, uplifting). Knowing you as I do, I know you’ll appreciate this.

The show was created by Kurt Sutter who is one of my favorite creators in any medium ever. Sutter was also head writer on the Shield, which was the single best “cop” show / novel / movie / whatever that I’ve ever seen and was equally brilliant. The Shield was so good that any other cop-related story just falls incredibly short.

Lastly, avoid the internet like crazy. I had one major death mid-show spoiled for me and my wife had another even bigger one in the final episodes. Just like with TWD, the internet basically sucks.

BTW, I take it you don't have Netflix, Cobie? I recently got it because the temptation of the Daredevil series was just too much! I'm dying to know what you would think about that show! You should get the free one-month trial of it just so I can find out what you think! grin nod
Daredevil pulled me into Netflix too. Now that my free month is past and I'm paying, I decided I'm getting my money's worth. (Unlike my cable subscription)
Yep, it's hard to compare the value of $8.99/month with Netflix vs. ____ for cable. I must say though that the movie selection isn't as great as I thought it would be in terms of stuff I might be dying to see. But they have the rights to TONS of good TV series worthy of binge-watching, so it's certainly worth much more than the modest cost. I'd have trouble parting with cable, though, because there are enough great/can't miss shows I couldn't stand to wait for.

I don’t have Netflix and to be perfectly honest, I’m not sure I even understand it. It’s a service with a monthly fee? How does it hook up? How do I get it on my TV?

What I do know about Netflix is the original show they made House of Cards is the best political television show I’ve ever seen and has allowed Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright to remind everyone they are two of the greatest living actors in the world. Neither has ever been better than they are here, as they are given room to show their stuff in a way that a 2 hour movie just can’t do. The show is nothing short of mesmerizing and is as high quality as other truly great shows like Breaking Bad, Sopranos, etc.

Meanwhile, I can’t wait to finally get around to seeing Daredevil. But probably the only way I’ll do that is by buying the DVD season—which is actually how my wife and I binge watch 75% of our shows. We have almost a little collection at this point that we keep. (And yeah we know DVDs will eventually go away completely, but its fun). The other 25% we do “on demand” through our cable hook-up, and that is usually how we watch shows on BBC or Starz.

Ultra Jorge #859798 07/14/15 09:57 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

I love that your wife binge-watches shows with you! Mine mostly seems to want to watch reruns of Castle and Bones day-in and day-out, though she loves to watch new TWD with me when it's on. I was impressed with her, though, when she recently watched my Firefly DVDs after randomly catching Serenity on cable and seeing how awesome it was. maybe there's hope for her, yet? grin

Serenity is a step in the right direction! smile If she likes TWD, then there’s probably a ton of other shows you would both like that you might not have considered before. She probably will like Sons of Anarchy a lot too, because its very similar in having a huge cast that is constantly interacting and at odds over high tense situations.

Binge-watching shows has been a hobby of my wife and I going back almost like 7 years at this point and it’s really turned into a major way we can hang out together. It really kicked up another gear 5 years ago when my son was born, and since the kids are still so young, we don’t get out much (as opposed to before we had kids we were social butterflies at the bars and clubs up and down Connecticut). So we make a big deal of having “a Night” (with a capital ‘N’) where we cook a special dinner, have a snack planned, get her a good bottle of pinot noir and get me what I need for a special drink (usually Tanqueray and tonic with both lemon and lime).

Some shows we don’t watch together and so we watch during the week. For example, my wife isn’t a fan of superhero stuff, crazy sci-fi and crazy fantasy, so I watch Flash on my own. On the other hand, she watches Grey’s Anatomy religiously, but I never liked that show much. Some sci-fi or fantasy shows, though, she will watch if they’re super high quality, as we’ve watched Game of Thrones, Fringe, Orphan Black, etc.

It all started back before we lived together as she got me hooked on Nip/Tuck which was a new show, and then also the OC, which was then out. When we moved in together we watched those and she wanted to know more about the other shows I watched (as I was already binge-watching shows with my brother who I lived with for a few years), so I introduced her to three shows in this order: Rome (HBO) which I loved, Veronica Mars and Lost. Flash forward a few weeks and she was hooked on all three! From there, I even got her to start liking period piece shows, which she never thought she would, and I would explain to her some of historical background (since I love history). So we are big fans of the Tudors, Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, The White Queen, Spartacus, etc. It helps that my wife has a healthy love of sex and violence and swearing in her shows like me. wink

On the other hand she’s introduced me to various shows, including the aforementioned Pretty Little Liars. We also watched One Tree Hill for a few years which was actually quite excellent. I generally hate teen high school shows and have over the years grown to feel that the OC was pretty crappy. But those two are stand outs (PLL & OTH).

We have also learned a few things about our tastes: we simply cannot do half hour comedies. I have always hated sitcoms since I was a boy and I also hated the Simpsons when my friends went nuts over it. So I’m not big on TV comedies either. I find other things funny like Clint Eastwood’s High Plains Drifter or Indiana Jones or something a little more edgy or aggressive. If we do watch a half hour comedy, it’s usually when we catch something in syndication, which is how we watched the Office or 30 Rock. That way we’re non-committal about it. We both hated Weeds and thought it was garbage; she hated Arrested Development (which I did like because the plots were clever). The one exception to the rule, all these years, has been How I Met Your Mother, which was a fantastic show that had a ton of heart. It always was incredibly well written with excellent, complex narrative twists each episode that were tons of fun. I also thought the ending was perfect, while many fans disagree—(most people are stupid ;)).

Our go to channels for shows are AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime, Starz, sometimes the BBC (really Orphan Black and Ripper Street). Then random shows like USA’s “Suits” or TNT’s “Leverage”. 99% of the time, the big four networks are total garbage and a disgrace to television; they just over-cheese everything and try to mimic the style of other shows but never actually get the substance. There was a brief moment in like 2006-2008 where the networks showed some real gumption and had Lost, House, Grey’s Anatomy and a few others, but that’s all gone away now.

I realize I kind of rambled. But it’s become a cool little way for my wife and I to have a date night by binge-watching shows, so I can go on at length as I’m prone to do.

Cobalt Kid #859845 07/14/15 11:33 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I don’t have Netflix and to be perfectly honest, I’m not sure I even understand it. It’s a service with a monthly fee? How does it hook up? How do I get it on my TV?

I got it thru my Blu-Ray player. It came with a Netflix app, and once you press it, it's pretty easy to go from there. Like I said, the first month's free, and after that, it's $8.99/mo. In terms of shows, it's heavy on programs from many of the networks you mention. (The past seasons of Arrow are on there as well.)

I know you can also get it thru modern game consoles. (I never see you mention being a gamer, so you might not have one.) Obviously, an internet connection is required.

I'm sure others here can tell you still other ways to get it, as well. I'm sure it could save you from having a massive, out-of-control DVD pile and allow you to try some other series you may not otherwise have.
If you can get it, try the free month, if for no other reason than to watch Daredevil! grin

Ultra Jorge #859865 07/14/15 02:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Netflix: just sign up on the internet at their website. I watch on the laptop but I guess those that what to watch on the TV use some gadget that connects anything on the laptop to the tv.

My first Netflix production recommendation for the 30 days would be Lillihammer. It doesn't get all the attention of things like Orange but it's a lot less serious. A gangster played by a rock star, hiding amongst uber non-confrontational Norwegians, having difficulty leaving old ways behind. If nothing else, you'd know by one episode if you were going to like it. It is what it is.

Ultra Jorge #859925 07/14/15 07:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Netflix carries quite a few wonderful films that don't make the general theater circuit. If you're in the mood for something more art than pop, you'll find something good.

Legion Tracker #859956 07/14/15 09:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Netflix carries quite a few wonderful films that don't make the general theater circuit. If you're in the mood for something more art than pop, you'll find something good.

I remember they had that classic Japanese art film, "Zombie Ass: The Toilet of the Dead."

Page 70 of 86 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,481
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rtvu2
rtvu2
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star