Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 121 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 33 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 32 33
Re: Random Review Corner
Lard Lad #858593 07/07/15 07:41 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Here's the latest batch in my new rating format:

Great - Excellent
Astro City 20
Saga 25
Sex Criminals 10
Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses 1

Good - Very Good
Amazing Spider-Man 13 & 14
American Vampire: Second Cycle 6
Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw 3 & 4
Fables 148 & 149
Hawkeye 21
Invincible 116 & 117
Lazarus 15
Manifest Destiny 13
Morning Glories 43
Sandman: Overture 4
Secret Six 2
Star Wars 2
Velvet 9
Walking Dead 137
War Stories 5
Wytches 4

Meh - Just Okay
Bitch Planet 2
Buffy 11
She-Hulk 12
Stumptown 5

Terrible - Bad
(none)

Thoughts.....

Really digging the Quarrel/Crackerjack story in Astro City. Best story of more than 2 parts in the current volume, easily. It's not flashy or anything, just a solid, very human story about non-powered heroes aging. Looking forward to the conclusion.

A new Saga chapter begins with a storyline split between 3 separate character groups. Saga is always solidly entertaining, and there's a truly heartbreaking but subtle moment with Marko. Plus, adorable baby seal character! love

Stray Bullets is sooooo good! nod A familiar character from the last arc with some (apparently) new ones in lead roles. Still fascinating, well-executed and plenty of story.

Spider-verse concludes in Amazing Spidey. Not the greatest storyline with way too much "see tie-in in ____ for more on this" but still entertaining. Hopefully, the epilogue will stick the landing.

Autumnlands was a bit up in the air after the first 2 issues, even though the first was solid. But I think issue 4 especially is really starting to see the story gel and feel forward-moving.

Fables' final 2 regular issues helped explain the Snow/Rose feud with some interesting backstory context. Still not sure if it justifies Rose's apparent villainous turn. She's my favorite of the sisters, so I hope Willingham brings it together satisfyingly in the upcoming 150/final trade.

Invincible featured 2 rather quiet issues that nonetheless propel the book into a new direction. Lots of small moments that reward longtime readers like me.

Lazarus concluded the "Conclave" storyline with a wild one-on-one fight and quite the cliffhanger for the Carlyle family and the book's status quo. Though I've dropped this monthly, I'll definitely pick up with trades to see what happens next.

Manifest Destiny continues to wow, especially as it deepens its characters. As background characters become more developed, the same is true with leads Lewis and Clark. You can't really categorize them as "the scientist and the warrior" anymore. Lewis, particularly, is full of surprises. Excellently-written and beautifully-drawn book that I'm so glad I kept on the pull! This issue was definitely in the upper eschelon of "very good" and just a hare's breath from the highest category.

Loved the focus on Ike in Morning Glories and how some holes are being poked in that smug-ass facade of his. Solid issue with some of that trademark MG esoterica mixed in with interesting characters. I may never fully understand MG, but it always keeps me coming back!

Star Wars was still a nice read but just the slightest let-down from its excellent debut.

War Stories is stunning in its focus on the early conflicts Israel faced as a nation. I love that we're finally getting a break from WW2 with a story that just makes me feel smarter, while also being very gripping.

Bitch Planet is disappointing me. I thought it would be more...fun? It's got one more issue to hook me.

She-Hulk concludes with the long-teased Blue File reveal. Kind of a let-down, I'd say. Maybe if we were more invested in the bad guy, it would have hit harder. Feels like there are some plot holes left wide open. Good series overall, though, that I'll miss.

So overall...a very good batch. I'd say the quality distribution and lack of bombs pretty much justifies pull list choices I've made recently. It certainly improves my view of monthlies by a tick or two. We'll see if the momentum continues.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #858600 07/07/15 08:15 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Paladin
Bitch Planet is disappointing me. I thought it would be more...fun? It's got one more issue to hook me.

Cobie and I talked briefly about the first couple issues of that series. IIRC, it was in the Image Explosions thread. I found it an extreme letdown for the same reason you mention, Lardy, and didn't even pick up the third issue.

I'll look for the comments and post a link. Be right back.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #858601 07/07/15 08:16 PM

Lard Lad #858611 07/07/15 08:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Hm. Yeah, it's just lacking that certain something. It feels like she's building up to a big "wow" moment but also like it's gonna take forever to get there. It was billed as kind of a send-up of '70s exploitation films, but it doesn't have that feel at all. For one thing, she's going too much into the backstory--if it's '70s exploitation, it should just jump in and worry about explanations later, if at all. The potential is there, but nothing's engaging me, not even the characters.

It's disappointing because I kinda dug Pretty Deadly. It was kind of dense and esoteric but really drew me in with its characters and esoteric qualities. And it really just came together.

I've already bought issue 3, but it looks like it won't give me what I need to liberate the issue 4 in my pull.

Lard Lad #858612 07/07/15 08:30 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
So, Matt Wagner writing The Spirit for Dynamite seems like a formula for brilliance, but I thought the first issue was merely good.

Lard Lad #858670 07/08/15 07:47 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Random thoughts (without quotes because, well, that's a lot of work).

FC, I can't wait to read Secret History vol 3, having just read Vol 2 a few months (year?) ago. Still a captivating series loaded with intelligent detail.

Eryk, I have high hopes for Wagner's Spirit so I hope #1 is solid and we then at least see a steady uptick in momentum.

Fanfie provided a link to our comments on Bitch Planet and I see you (Lardy) are on the same page. I like Kelly Sue (and Matt Fraction) a lot, but it's clear that while some of their stuff works for me, a good portion just does not.

Totally agree on the awesomeness of Stray Bullets, Manifest Destiny and Morning Glories. Like you, I sometimes get lost with MG, but it's always able to keep me interested and enthusiastic, and I want to come back for more.

The Israel War Stories story was fantastic. And y'know what? His next one (another WWII one admittingly) is even better--one of his best I think. Not quite "Dear Billy" level, but it is definitely a heavy hitter.

The issue of Lazarus you just read was also my last, and ironically, I agree it really was an excellent finish to the arc that made me second guess my decision. But I think going the trade route will be much more appealing since the series can have such a slow burn at times. The only caveat is by deciding to collect in trades, I'll probably pick this series back up some time on 2019 or something.

The Quarrel / Crackerjack story is definitely my favorite of this new relaunched run so far. As you say, there is some exceptional deep human drama going on that is far beyond typical superhero characterization. The latest story, which I won't spoil other than it features a gorilla, has been a bit more stale (though never approaching the "bad" category).

Lastly, a little update on a few more I had outstanding in my pile:

1) the outright bad - Earth-2 Society, Batman and Detective Comics. Good art on the Batman titles isn't enough, as all three are just all over the map and unable to get me to even finish the issue.

2) All-New X-Men - Bendis is finishing his run, and it's been a lot of fun! I do question what the whole point was of the time traveling younger mutants, but this is Marvel: their point is probably "fuck you, reader". At least it was a joy of a book to read.

3) Outcast appears to be picking up by quasi-answering some questions (or at least expanding on what the answers could be). There's no doubt though this is a slow burn with Kirkman's patented "hang in there until it really gets going" style in effect. I'm still willing to do so, but no doubt it's taking a little effort.

Cobalt Kid #858707 07/08/15 11:15 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

The Israel War Stories story was fantastic. And y'know what? His next one (another WWII one admittingly) is even better--one of his best I think. Not quite "Dear Billy" level, but it is definitely a heavy hitter.

Oh, I know Garth will always gravitate back toward WW2, and I'm more than okay with that. But it's always nice to see him venture into other conflicts, something I don't think he did at all in his Battlefields phase with Dynamite but did in the prior War Stories at Vertigo.

Some of Garth's best war stories expose aspects of conflicts that I knew little to nothing about. In a way they make me smarter. This Israel story really fits the bill.

Lard Lad #858708 07/08/15 11:16 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I'm curious, btw, to hear any thoughts you might have on Spider-verse, Cobie. nod

Lard Lad #858712 07/08/15 12:33 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm curious, btw, to hear any thoughts you might have on Spider-verse, Cobie. nod

I liked it because I enjoy the heck out of Slott's high octane / fun as hell style of writing he applies to Spider-Man crossovers. That being said, it definitely wasn't my favorite "big event" he's done, and perhaps among my least favorites. For me, I just don't really enjoy "other Spider-Men" and parallel worlds stories all that much. I think they're done to death and it doesn't excite me to see other versions of Spider-Man in other worlds and how this subtle tweak here or there has totally changed things. So while some readers might have loved seeing Spider-Gwen or Silk or Spider-Ham or British Spider-Man...I wasn't all that excited about those appearances.

What I *did* love seeing was Doc Ock as Spidey working side by side with Peter as Spidey, and how that probably will leave the door open in the future for his return. Those scenes were awesome. I also thought Slott did a good job at using Morlun & his family against all the Spiders as the cosmic continuation of what JMS started so many years ago. He did it in such a way that it was fresh and fun: on a cosmic scope but without trying to be Crisis on Infinite Earths or anything of that level.

So: glad I got it and read it, but glad its over.

Lard Lad #858713 07/08/15 12:36 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

Oh, I know Garth will always gravitate back toward WW2, and I'm more than okay with that. But it's always nice to see him venture into other conflicts, something I don't think he did at all in his Battlefields phase with Dynamite but did in the prior War Stories at Vertigo.

Some of Garth's best war stories expose aspects of conflicts that I knew little to nothing about. In a way they make me smarter. This Israel story really fits the bill.
Oh, I definitely agree 100% with what you're saying (and should have said that). He did have an excellent Korean War story with the Tankies, and of course the sequel to the Night Witches during the Cold War. He really excels in those places for the reasons you say: he has such vast knowledge of these conflicts and eras and could impart so much to the readers.

Hell, I could have had a whole series about Jesse Custer's Dad during Viet Nam!

I would really love to see him hit on other conflicts during the Cold War, and of course do some other Viet Nam stuff.

Cobalt Kid #858719 07/08/15 12:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Oh, I definitely agree 100% with what you're saying (and should have said that). He did have an excellent Korean War story with the Tankies, and of course the sequel to the Night Witches during the Cold War. He really excels in those places for the reasons you say: he has such vast knowledge of these conflicts and eras and could impart so much to the readers.

Hell, I could have had a whole series about Jesse Custer's Dad during Viet Nam!

I would really love to see him hit on other conflicts during the Cold War, and of course do some other Viet Nam stuff.

Oh yeah....you're right that the continuations of Night Witches and Tankies went into other conflicts--forgot about that! Those were pretty much the only characters he did new stories with, and I liked that their careers continued beyond WW2.

And I'd definitely love for Garth to do something with Vietnam! The bits with Jessie's dad in Preacher were great, and I know Garth would have some fresh stories to tell. Hopefully, he'll get around to something like that, but I know most of his passion will always be for the big one.

Cobalt Kid #858737 07/08/15 03:51 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L

I liked it because I enjoy the heck out of Slott's high octane / fun as hell style of writing he applies to Spider-Man crossovers. That being said, it definitely wasn't my favorite "big event" he's done, and perhaps among my least favorites. For me, I just don't really enjoy "other Spider-Men" and parallel worlds stories all that much. I think they're done to death and it doesn't excite me to see other versions of Spider-Man in other worlds and how this subtle tweak here or there has totally changed things. So while some readers might have loved seeing Spider-Gwen or Silk or Spider-Ham or British Spider-Man...I wasn't all that excited about those appearances.

What I *did* love seeing was Doc Ock as Spidey working side by side with Peter as Spidey, and how that probably will leave the door open in the future for his return. Those scenes were awesome. I also thought Slott did a good job at using Morlun & his family against all the Spiders as the cosmic continuation of what JMS started so many years ago. He did it in such a way that it was fresh and fun: on a cosmic scope but without trying to be Crisis on Infinite Earths or anything of that level.

So: glad I got it and read it, but glad its over.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

One thing I really like about Slott is how he respects all eras of Spidey stories and often finds ways to reference them in various ways. A lot of people hate JMS's spider-totems ideas, but I think there was some merit with them and that Slott uses it pretty well in Spider-verse. He also does pretty well with Morlun and taking the concept further with his family.

BTW, I read the epilogue to Spider-verse earlier today. I was glad that Mayday had a a happy (or at least happier) ending waiting for her at home. I never read Spider-Girl, but I've been fond of the idea of her. Plus, there's a small something hinting at something more to come for Otto. No one would be surprised at that, of course, but I like for the groundwork to be laid. (Whatever happened to Otto's body, anyway?!? I seemed to remember someone found his grave empty?!?! confused )

Lard Lad #859186 07/11/15 10:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ody-C was a mixed bag for me. Beautiful, eerie and sometimes horror-filled artwork by Christian Ward, which is what attracted me to the book in the first place.

I had read that Matt Fraction wrote this for his daughter, and quite frankly I was expecting something directed to a young teen to remind her that girls can have great adventures too. Well, I sure wouldn't give this book to a kid!

Although somewhat familiar with The Odyssey (never read the entire story), I found this tale somewhat hard to follow. It was just thick going at times. It might have been easier if I knew the original thoroughly. The language was heavy epic-style, then it would switch to modern vernacular, which was jarring.

The near-total absence of men, except for Odyssia's son and Aeolus, was peculiar. There was an explanation for it, but I would have preferred a mixed gender universe, with a female captain commanding both men and women.

It's certainly different. Don't know if I'd get Volume 2 or not; it might be worth it for the artwork alone.

The Secret History Omnibus, vol. 3 by Pécau (story) & Kordy/O'Grady (art). This is one of my absolute favourite series. It's slow to come to the market, since it's a compilation and translation of the original French albums, but well worth the wait.

The brief summary of the story premise: "Since the dawn of time, Dyo, Reka, Aker and Erlin - the four Archons who headed the Four Houses - have fought each other to control the fate of humankind. While Archons have risen and fallen, the world continues to change and time remains their constant antagonist."

Volume 3 goes from 1946 to 1970, with a strong focus on the Middle East (establishment of Israel), the rise of the Soviet Union as a major military power, the workings of America's spy agencies, Air America in Viet Nam, resistance and revolution in the Soviet bloc, the Summer of Love & LSD, up to Watergate.

Real world figures such as Moshe Dayan, Howard Hughes, Kim Philby, Richard Nixon and many others play out power games under the direction and assistance of the now-ancient Archons. I was somewhat surprised that they didn't include a chapter on the moon landing and/or the emergence of Africa from outright colonialism, but there is a lot of world history packed in this volume nevertheless.

There is so much reality in this tale, mixed with the fictional Archons, that it's easy to get thoroughly involved in the story as if one were reading the truth, revealed at last.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Lard Lad #860069 07/15/15 08:01 PM
Active
Active
FYI

I picked up Dr Fate 2, Black Canary 2 and Justice League 41 Darkseid War.

the launch issues were good enough to suck me on.

Programmed by Eryk Davis Ester.
Lard Lad #860071 07/15/15 08:02 PM
Active
Active
Im also 2 deep in Omega Men, might be better as a trade though. Super Giff inspired.

... and liking Runaways a lot ... one of my new favorite books.

Last edited by Power Boy Robot; 07/15/15 08:03 PM.

Programmed by Eryk Davis Ester.
Lard Lad #861391 07/22/15 09:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Annihilator #6 - This one lost me a little. I mean I know part of the plot was Nomax obsessing over his girlfriend, but to say the whole thing was a love story was a bit of a stretch. We find out in a very Morrison-esque about turn that it's never been about the fictional characters bleeding into our world, it's that we are a subset of theirs. The art is still great, but Irving skimps a bit on the backgrounds.

FBP #21-22
- What a strange series this turned out to be. Looking at the events in this issue and comparing to the status quo at the outset, you realise that Oliver either had a far out plan or this story just really got away from him. Not sure how you come back from an effective Apocalypse, but I'll stick around to find out.

Grant Morrison's 18 Days - Somehow I thought Morrison retelling the Mahabharata would be a bit more compelling. Art's not great but servicable.

JLU #11 - The change in direction is a little jarring, but since Lemire never really got it together, I guess why not? So this is retreading the old JL:Task Force (Which was a take on Mission Impossible with Super-Heroes). Parker tries to write profound mysticism with the New Adam Strange (now merged with the Zeta Beam), but it comes off a little forced.

Nameless #3-4 Now that a bit of mystery has been added to the book, it's getting more tolerable. We're now focusing on what's "really" happening with the alien invasion - Is it physical, psychic, temporal, some combination? I think there's a lot of ways this can unfold.

Dr. Fate #1-2 Despite getting yet another identity for Dr. Fate, and what sounded like yet another retread of Spider-Man (student gets powers, needs to balance with demanding life), I'm actually digging this. Levitz is really doing a great job and has some MoJo going here.

We Stand on Guard #1 - Pretty fun premise (Canadian Freedom fighters a hundred years from now fight the American occupation), with a lot of shout outs to Canadian culture, some of it a little off the mark but still amusing. Be interesting to see the reaction this gets.

Gotham by Midnight #6-7 The team recoups from the losses of the last story arc, and the new creative team sets out a new direction. I guess Gordon's not in charge (not reading the Bat-Books), so Precinct 13's protection from the top is gone. I.A. is gunning for them, Corrigan's releasing the Spectre more and more, and the lieutenant's falling apart. Liking the new art here, and the direction.

Prez #1-2 - I like these characters and the premise, but the problem for me here is structure. I think these first two issues would have been a better 8th and 9th issue, filling in the backstory. I would have preferred this started in media res and we got some fun teen president stuff right off the bat.

Lard Lad #861569 07/24/15 09:01 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So without getting each one individually, I can say that the second issues of Black Canary and Starfire were pretty great, while Batgirl also remains excellent. DC is really stepping up with the female protagonist books! (If only Wonder Woman wasn't horrible).

I tried We Are Robin and it wasn't bad. A little by the numbers, but the lead character is very likable, and it has a great "80's street level superhero vibe". I'll try out #2 to see how I feel.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 07/24/15 09:01 AM.
Lard Lad #866819 08/26/15 06:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Walt Simonson's Ragnarok is really rocking and probably one of my favourite books right now. The art is amazing and the story's cool. Removed from the need for Marvel trappings, Simonson's really allowed to tell a great story with Thor having lost everything and fighting alone against the great enemies, while his Dark Elf hunters are well-rounded and had a great scene in this last issue (#6).

Lard Lad #866892 08/27/15 07:19 PM
Dave, I love Walt Simonson, but I really have no interest in what sounds like a blood-and-guts version of Ragnarok. Scandinavian mythology is just too grim and gruesome for my taste.

I notice in your short review of Grant Morrison's 18 Days that you appeared to be underwhelmed. I agree that the art is only serviceable, but other than that, I've thoroughly enjoyed the two issues that have come out so far. I'm totally captivated by this modern sci-fi/fantasy spin on East Indian mythology.

Lard Lad #866971 08/28/15 06:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked the second issue of 18 Days much better so I think it's gelling for me.

Ragnarok, doesn't have much bloodletting or gore, though there's certainly violence. It's actually set after Ragnarok, but a Ragnarok where something went wrong and the Great Enemies triumph and rule a desolate wasteland (as opposed to everyone dies and humanity starts the cycle again in a fertile garden).

Thor is resurrected/re-awoken after hundreds of years as skeletal looking "Stone God" and is trying to find out what happened, both to his family and the world. Surtur and the Enemies don't take kindly to his re-appearance, nor does the god of the afterlife, who sets Dark Elf assassins with their own interesting stories upon his trail.

Lard Lad #866972 08/28/15 06:56 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I picked up and enjoyed the first issue of Ragnarok, but the erratic release has convinced me to wait for the TPBs.

Lard Lad #867001 08/28/15 11:01 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ same

I liked what I saw but lost track of the series and apparently so did my CBS, as they forgot to give me #3, causing me to put back #4 on the shelf. I hope to get around to reading it someday.

Lard Lad #868791 09/10/15 01:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Howard the Duck

A lot of my pull list ended or was cancelled, so I asked for some recommendations, one of which was Howard the Duck.

All I remembered was that I didn't take to the original, but decided to give this series (5-issue arc) a try. Written by Chip Zdarsky, pencils by Joe Quinones (the art reminded me of Allred).

It's funny enough, by my standards, poking fun at other Marvel characters. This arc had Howard butting tail-feathers with She-Hulk, Dr. Strange, Spiderman, Aunt May, Skrulls, Mr. Fantastic, The Human Torch and others. Howard's got a sidekick, a young woman who works in a tattoo shop, and has a few secrets of her own. Together, they go about retrieving stolen goods, busting up a seniors crime ring and saving the galaxy (with a little help from the superheroes).

There are a few backup stories by Zdarsky, but featuring other artists. The 5th issue added a nice touch of multiple footnotes referring to other comics Howard had appeared in, all imaginary.

Nothing too deep here, but very entertaining.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Lard Lad #870363 09/24/15 11:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Gotham by Midnight #9 really amped up the story with a pretty shocking turn of events that completely re-defines the nature of the Spectre/Corrigan (Guess this is the NEW 52 Spectre after all). I must admit that while it flies in the face of everything about the character(s), I did find it opened up a bunch of interesting avenues and want to see more (so of course, the book is canned in a few months).

EDIT to add spoilers for those who won't be reading:
The Midnight Shift (particularly Corrigan) are being targeted by I.A.. Since Gordon's gone, people are no longer turning a blind eye, and the body count on Corrigan's unfinished cases is raising eyebrows. Corrigan (and Drake separately) is grilled over all the horrific deaths on his watch. Corrigan plays it cool, until they reveal they know about the Spectre (kind of) and think Corrigan's a metahuman handing out vigilante justice. Corrigan gets agitated as they pile more and more cases up, then ask why these ones, why not the Joker or other pyschos? Corrigan responds that it's God's will and he has no control. They continue to push and rattle him, implying that it's his rage and bias that chooses victims for the Spectre. Corrigan eventually loses his shit, and suddenly the Spectre explodes out of him and viciously kills the cops! A horrified Corrigan asks why, protesting that they weren't sinners, why would God do this? To which the Spectre responds: "YOU wanted it. It IS you. It was ALWAYS you." Then returns to him, leaving Corrigan in a locked room with two dead cops. Pretty crazy cliffhanger.

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 09/24/15 12:12 PM.
Lard Lad #871141 10/02/15 10:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Here’s a few random thoughts on comics I’ve read over the last 2 weeks or so. I feel like I’m reading less current comics than ever before. Certainly, almost all of them are not superheroes which is a shame. I could really use a few high action, colorful, PG-rated superhero stories.

Resident Alien came out earlier this year with its newest miniseries and just like all the rest it was brilliant. I just love all the storytelling choices used here, from the warm, friendly characters and fun mystery, to the moody artwork to the deliberate, casual pacing. Everything about the series is unique.

Batgirl and Gotham Academy remain a pure delight to read. The upbeat sense of fun and super-charismatic characters just make for an overall great reading experience. It’s no wonder DC tried to copy this…and no wonder why they failed. There’s something special going on in these books and its hard to duplicate.

Rebels is one of the best comic books out right now and it’s a dream comic for fans of historical fiction (especially for those looking for something different than the Civil War or WWII). The writing is so tight and the balance between character and plot is terrific.

Thief of Thieves continues to be a great read. Each arc they present a storyline that at first feels will take the series in a direction that will possibly derail the whole thing, and then each time they do an excellent job at showing you how wrong you were (and stupid you were) to think so. Andy Diggle is really showcasing himself as a great writer of crime fiction, and Shawn Martinburough is doing stellar artwork on a regular basis.

Fadeout by Bru & Chen has been excellent is now really ramping up. As I suspected from the beginning, its hitting on one of the great travesties / “conspiracies that everyone now knows is true but can’t quite prove” of Hollywood, which is the historical problem of child molestation going on among the Hollywood elite. They rightly got you hooked on the characters first before having them take you into the ever darkening web. This is shaping up to possibly be among their very best.

Sex Criminals is one of those rare series where everything about it is so good and so funny, that the letters pages alone are better than 99% of stories DC and Marvel put out.

It took me an issue or two to get into it, but the latest arc of Manhattan Projects is enjoyable batshit insane with loads of crude sci-fi going on page after page. While everything else Hickman is doing these days is a turn off, this remains a series I’m enjoying the hell out of, and a lot of that is due to artist Nick Pitarra.

I should probably just mention too that I’m still loving Velvet, Manifest Destiny, The Walking Dead, Saga, Morning Glories and Stray Bullets. But I can only use so many adjectives to praise all these wonderful Image books.

Over at Marvel, Lemire’s All-New Hawkeye has been superb mainly because of the incredible story he’s presented showing a young Clint and Barney Barton being raised by the Swordsman as carnies / would-be crooks. I’ve liked / loved all three characters at different levels for years but now I really just want to read an ongoing series about these three in this premise. Naturally, it’s a fucking shame Marvel is going to derail it with some stupid fucking “Old Man Hawkeye” nonsense.

At DC, I’ve noticed that Dr, Fate has gone absolutely nowhere very fast which is a huge disappointment but not too surprising considering that’s how almost all of DC’s stories are and how most of Levitz’s stories have been since his return to writing. Really a pretty huge disappointment. Meanwhile, I’m still enjoying Stafire a ton for its fun tone and characters, as well as Black Canary, though BC is coming dangerously close to being too snarky and meandering for its own good. Prez remains enjoyable and able to say something poignant about today’s world with each issue. Oh, and All-Star Section 8’s latest issue guest-starring Wonder Woman was the most juvenile subversive comic I’ve read in ages, and the thought that it might offend someone filled me with enormous glee.

In news that will surprise no one, all of the Superman titles, the Batman titles that star Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, all of the Justice League titles, Teen Titans and Earth-2 are just a total fucking disgrace and absolutely unreadable. Everyone associated with creating them should not only be fired, but flogged repeatedly with a prickly shillelagh.

Lastly, I dropped Crossed 100+ because without Moore I just don’t care.

Page 27 of 33 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star