Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 57 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/15/24 11:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Nightcrawler - 05/15/24 07:48 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:02 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 76 of 86 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge #878050 11/24/15 03:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Beautiful birds. We got one shows up on occasions, nests in the next yard over. Used to have some saw-whet babies, they'd just sit two or three in a row right next to me on the porch railing or on the mailbox during the summer nights. Had absolutely no fear, would just look around, sometimes rock back and forth. Neighborhood kids got too interested so the owls moved their nest off deeper into the woods, I still hear them. My porch makes for good tv sometimes.

Ultra Jorge #878053 11/24/15 04:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This past weekend was all about "Jessica Jones." I thought it dragged a bit with what they wanted to do with Kilgrave, but Ritter was great, Colton as Cage was *awesome,* and Tennant was SO sleazy, yet compelling at the same time. Those performance saved a show that maybe needed a bit more work with the script.

DrakeB3004 #878081 11/25/15 01:23 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004
This past weekend was all about "Jessica Jones." I thought it dragged a bit with what they wanted to do with Kilgrave, but Ritter was great, Colton as Cage was *awesome,* and Tennant was SO sleazy, yet compelling at the same time. Those performance saved a show that maybe needed a bit more work with the script.

Very true. All three of those actors (and Rachael as Trish) sealed the deal for me. I feel like some of it, like the bit with the cop and the pills (being oblique to avoid spoilers), wandered around a bit, although it does seem like it all ties together with the IGH plot (and is therefore important to Jessica, Luke *and* 'Kevin'), but since that plot was left for later shows to develop (Cage? Defenders? JJones season 2?), it felt like filler in *this* story.

Kilgrave was interesting and had some shades of complexity, even if they were overshadowed by his own tendency to rationalize what a sociopathic unrestrained ID he was and blame his own actions on his powers, or his parents, or past events (anything to avoid taking responsibility for what a creep he was...).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #878297 11/26/15 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Finished up Man in the High Castle. All said and done, didn't really feel they resolved anything or revealed anything they'd set up. Seems more like half a season than a season.

Decently crafted and worth watching but that I never really found any redeeming value to the main character, I couldn't see how she could drive the story. I didn't see that she ever displayed any of the characteristics that would cause people to be as loyal to her as they were depicted. Oddly, the "bad guys" were IMO displayed brilliantly.

Ultra Jorge #878700 11/28/15 04:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Jessica Jones: well they certainly weren't too loose with background, motivation or anything else in the first ep, lol.

Probably won't be moving on too soon with this one. Seems that type of show popular now where none of the characters are particularly likable (except the rascally thief) and everyone has dark motivations. Not my thing.

Eryk Davis Ester #878712 11/28/15 08:40 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
^^This confirms my longheld theory that older women regularly try to seduce Nostalgia Lad!

shake

Why do I always get my mission updates AFTER everyone else?!

Last edited by cleome49; 11/28/15 08:40 PM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #879392 12/02/15 10:16 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I finally watched the first episode of Jessica Jones, though I'm not sure how I feel about it. Admittedly, I was going into the show with a general disinterest in the titular character and the MCU as a whole. I'm not too big on crime/cop shows as they generally too formulaic for my tastes. However, I did think the show has a couple of standout moments, namely the brief appearance of Luke Cage. The actor knocks it out of the park and I was hoping he would play a larger part in the episode. I also liked the brief mentions of the Purple Man as David Tennant is an actor I really like.

On the other hand, the one thing dragging the whole thing is the crucial one: Jessica. I don't think Krysten Ritter pulls off the "jaded tough girl" persona very well, but that's just me. I might give the show a few more episodes to win me over, but I'm pretty ambivalent about how long I'll stick with it.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Ultra Jorge #879884 12/05/15 01:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
MY ranking:
IZombie just above because the snappy dialogue and the character actors are treasures. Good storylines for the main character. Ravi is one of the funniest characters on tv IMO. The boyfriend and the boyfriend's storyline is a bit weak but the head-wench is HOT! The actress does vamp really well.

Supergirl from the visuals and the superb acting and the much more difficult intertwining of storylines has almost everything IZombie has but the humor, which would be misplaced but it's my difference maker. James is a good character but he's not "Jimmy." I'm warming up to him as a new character. Doing a great job of bringing in different elements of the book. Benoit IMO has the most difficult character to portray of all of them and she does it with ease. I've felt compassion for and rooted on both Kara and Supergirl.

The Flash stiffer acting from a few of the actors and the lead still isn't "Barry" but he pulls off the physical stuff really well. He's a great Flash.
Dare-Devil and Agent Carter both well done and enjoyed for different reasons. The lead in Dare-Devil doesn't do much for me but the supporting actors all appealed. Pretty much like all the characters in AC and the less dramatic, film noir approach.
Agents of Shield. I liked the story of Simmons on the other world and hope they can bring that character back because I thought he was a good actor. I like the Fitch character. Actors are for the most part stiff and few of the inter-relationships convincingly portrayed.

Arrow,
can't really say I'm attached to any of the characters or storylines or actors but they're not terrible either, except almost every non-Felicity female role before Hawk Girl. Hawk Girl is a plus but mini-me with a bronzer as Hawk Man had to be someone doing someone a favor. THIS role should have rivaled Thor in stature and looks.

Ultra Jorge #879934 12/06/15 03:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Jessica Jones: most of the way through ep2 but it's painful. They seem to have taken the approach those watching know the characters and the back-stories so there's not much to hook on to. The characters may have been original when first created, I don't know but now they've been done to death and none are endearing or sympathetic in any way I can connect with.

I'll probably wait for opinions on those who've made it further along before spending more time hoping to see the big picture on this one.

Kappa Kid #879949 12/06/15 06:05 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
On the other hand, the one thing dragging the whole thing is the crucial one: Jessica. I don't think Krysten Ritter pulls off the "jaded tough girl" persona very well, but that's just me.

I kind of agree with a that, but I'm not sure how much she's meant to come off as being as world-wearied and jaded as the character is *trying* to appear. It's all a defense mechanism with Jessica, because of her past trauma.

She spends the entire season resisting the approach of stuffing some cotton in years and walking up and punching the dude in the throat, or chucking a cinderblock or manhole cover at his head from half a block away. She talks the tough-girl talk, but she's pretty much oozing desperation and vulnerability, and a strong desire to stay the hell away from this nightmare from her past, rather than face it head on, and that's something I think the actress got very right. She's not Thundra-played-by-Rhonda-Rousey, all swagger with a heart of stone. At least, IMO. Granted, she's a brand-new character by the standards of most of her MCU peers, who've been established and developed and characterized since before I was born (in the sixties), so there's a lot less familiarity with how she *should* be presented...

Ultra Jorge #881200 12/13/15 11:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
MY ranking:

Supergirl Moved up one or IZombie moved down one or a bit of both. Every character seems to get powerful moments and of course, there was the big reveal.

IZombie Delving into the difficulties of dealing with two brains. Certainly necessary territory to cover if it becomes pervasive to the story-line, it will suck the fun out of this. They need to pick a direction and stick with it IMO. There are topics they'd be remiss not to cover while keeping the charm, ala Buffy. A tough road. Ravi continues to be a terrific character and Babineaux gets better every week.

The Flash Doing a good job of building up the villain cast. Captain Cold started poorly but continues to become how he's depicted in the books with a fun interpretation by the actor. The guy does, "not afraid of super powered beings" believably for a guy with a gun. Exactly as it should be.

Arrow, Out of ideas

Agents of Shield. Moved to the bottom. Too much predictable and a cheap trick.

Ultra Jorge #881469 12/14/15 05:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Star Trek trailer looks promising. Less enthusiastic about the Independence Day trailer but it's one of my favorite re-watch movies so it probably won't matter.

Blockade Boy #881509 12/15/15 03:29 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Star Trek trailer looks promising. Less enthusiastic about the Independence Day trailer but it's one of my favorite re-watch movies so it probably won't matter.

I felt the exact opposite way! tongue The Independence Day trailer was exactly what I expected: quotes from the original, awesome starship dogfights, and the magnificence of Jeff Goldblum.

The Star Trek trailer, on the other hand, made me embarrassed to be a Beastie Boys fan... shake

Kappa Kid #881827 12/17/15 04:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

I felt the exact opposite way! tongue The Independence Day trailer was exactly what I expected: quotes from the original, awesome starship dogfights, and the magnificence of Jeff Goldblum.

The Star Trek trailer, on the other hand, made me embarrassed to be a Beastie Boys fan... shake

If ID2 matches anywhere close to early reviews of Awakens then I'm in for some good watching in a couple years when the DVDs come out.

Ultra Jorge #881837 12/17/15 06:51 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I just got it back from seeing The Force Awakens. It was pretty average, almost painfully at times. It wasn't groundbreaking or innovative like the original trilogy, but it won't leave you angry and confused like the prequels. It's just something to scratch that nostalgia itch you get this time of the year. Nothing more, nothing less. It's flashy and fun, but a little empty as is to be expected of J.J. Abrams.

Ultra Jorge #881840 12/18/15 12:48 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Into the Badlands is wuxia goodness, in the fighting style of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, only if it was mashed up with the TV series Revolution. Strange but very watchable (if somewhat bloody, although nothing like Spartacus).

My only regret is that it's only a six episode season! What the heck!

Ultra Jorge #881841 12/18/15 01:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
A lot of new AMC series are six episodes to see if they warrant a pickup. Both Walking Dead's had a six episode opener.

Kappa Kid #881876 12/18/15 09:15 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just got it back from seeing The Force Awakens. It was pretty average, almost painfully at times. It wasn't groundbreaking or innovative like the original trilogy, but it won't leave you angry and confused like the prequels. It's just something to scratch that nostalgia itch you get this time of the year. Nothing more, nothing less. It's flashy and fun, but a little empty as is to be expected of J.J. Abrams.

Not to be too spoilery, but the first half was better than the second. The second half went to the nostalgia well way too often for my liking. I also found some of the big reveals really clunky.

Dave Hackett #881877 12/18/15 09:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
A lot of new AMC series are six episodes to see if they warrant a pickup. Both Walking Dead's had a six episode opener.

This appears to be the AMC standard: 1st season 6 eps; then 12 ep seasons; and then if it really starts to be a ratings hit, it is bumped to a 16 episode season with a break in the middle.

Set #881878 12/18/15 09:31 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Set
Into the Badlands is wuxia goodness, in the fighting style of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, only if it was mashed up with the TV series Revolution. Strange but very watchable (if somewhat bloody, although nothing like Spartacus).

My only regret is that it's only a six episode season! What the heck!

Oh, and I should add I'm digging it too. Some of the plotting and dialogue is clunky but overall its highly enjoyable to watch. The sets / costumes / action / visuals alone are just really pleasing on the eyes.

(Also, Sarah Bolger is a great love of my life but that is either here nor there).

Dave Hackett #881931 12/19/15 04:38 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett

Not to be too spoilery, but the first half was better than the second. The second half went to the nostalgia well way too often for my liking. I also found some of the big reveals really clunky.

I felt the same way, Dave. The first half of the movie really felt like it was carving its own path and trying something new, but as soon as Han shows up, it becomes a total original trilogy wankfest. shake

Dave Hackett #881944 12/19/15 06:12 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I just got it back from seeing The Force Awakens. It was pretty average, almost painfully at times. It wasn't groundbreaking or innovative like the original trilogy, but it won't leave you angry and confused like the prequels.

I saw it this morning, and that pretty much sums it up. It felt average, with a few interesting moments (mostly at the start as Dave says), before some poor writing results in a few clunky moments later on. Having clunky moments throws me out of the movie for a moment. That really shouldn't be happening for any film.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ultra Jorge #881950 12/19/15 06:28 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Won't be able to see "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" 'til tomorrow.

Will put in my 2p then.

Thanks for the insightful yet still spoiler-free reviews, guys.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Ultra Jorge #882025 12/19/15 08:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I really enjoyed The Force Awakens.

Is it perfect? No.
Is the story...
too similar to A New Hope
...? Yes.

But it's a lot better than average IMO.

Last edited by Blacula; 12/19/15 08:38 PM.
Ultra Jorge #882033 12/19/15 10:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I agree completely with what Blacula said.

Page 76 of 86 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,335
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star