Roll Call
0 members (), 5 Murran Spies, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:36 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 03:13 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/19/24 02:55 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 78 of 86 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge #890452 03/12/16 02:19 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Last week, inspired by some wags on another board, I treated myself to watching one of the world's crappiest films on YouTube.

It was from the 1970s and it was called--- [drumroll]

DEATH BED: The Bed That Eats!

Uh... if you like slamming back lots of tequila while staring in disbelief and wondering how/why certain films ever saw the light of day, well... this may be the film for you.

I can't really review it in any way which would do it justice, but you all know how search engines work anyway.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #890465 03/12/16 02:41 PM
Nobody's Alt But Mine
Nobody's Alt But Mine
Looking For Mister Goodbar. One of those movies which I've long meant to watch, but just plain never got around to.

The original version is almost two hours long, so I watched the first half yesterday evening while dinner was cooking. I will probably save the second half for next Friday evening.

"It's bad for you, but buy it."
cleome57 #890723 03/12/16 05:55 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by cleome49
Last week, inspired by some wags on another board, I treated myself to watching one of the world's crappiest films on YouTube.

Uh... if you like slamming back lots of tequila while staring in disbelief and wondering how/why certain films ever saw the light of day, well... this may be the film for you.

I can't really review it in any way which would do it justice, but you all know how search engines work anyway.

Is it as bad as "Manos: The Hands of Fate"?

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Ultra Jorge #890728 03/12/16 06:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Man of Steel. Or Man of Meh. Either works.

Lightning Lad #890746 03/12/16 06:12 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Lightning Lad
Man of Steel. Or Man of Meh. Either works.

I prefer the latter. wink

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Fanfic Lady #890756 03/12/16 06:17 PM
[snip]

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

In all honesty, I think it was worse. The prisoner/narrator dude can't even come close to matching the charisma and plausibility of Torgo.

Really, as I told the people I was riffing along with, it's like they made The Creeping Terror over into furniture, and passed the savings on to YOU!

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #890757 03/12/16 06:19 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I really liked MoS when I first saw it at the theater. I think, though, that it's less some of the controversial plot choices made but more the lack of any real soul that has struck me since then.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
cleome57 #890759 03/12/16 06:20 PM
[snip]

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

In all honesty, I think it was worse. The prisoner/narrator dude can't even come close to matching the charisma and plausibility of Torgo.

Really, as I told the people I was riffing along with, it's like they made The Creeping Terror over into furniture, and passed the savings on to YOU!

LOL rotflmao

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #890773 03/12/16 06:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Paladin
I really liked MoS when I first saw it at the theater. I think, though, that it's less some of the controversial plot choices made but more the lack of any real soul that has struck me since then.

Good way to put it. Lack of soul.

Ultra Jorge #890829 03/12/16 08:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've moved on to A Knight's Tale, my favorite Heath movie. The dance scene set to Bowie's Golden Years nearly brought me to tears thinking of all the loss this movie now represents.

Ultra Jorge #891212 03/15/16 03:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There were so many deliberate choices that Goyer and Snyder made that tell me they just don't "get" Superman. Snyder's fooled me enough times now that I won't bother to see any of his future films, which is sad, as I've been waiting a long time for a DC cinematic universe, and I'll be getting... this.

Ultra Jorge #892711 03/29/16 07:12 AM
F
Honorary
Honorary
F
I haven't SEEN BvS, but a friend tgold me everything and I'm not that surprised. Trailers amde it seem like it'd be more of Snyder trying to be "deep" and again not "getting" his source material. Oh, and more of his cinematography that makes for good wallpapers... and that's it. I might catch it soon with a friend to pass time between classes, but I'd, rather watch anything else and not support the DCEU.

I only recently watched Whiplash. Amazing performance by JK Simmons, great sound mixing, great story as a general plot (the actual progression feels weird pacing-wise).

Finished season 2 of Daredevil about three days after it released (stupid assessments) and it was really good. Had some issues and not as well directed as the first season, but still pretty good. Still better than Jessica Jones.

I've got The Theory of Everything sitting here, but don't wanna watch a depressing movie (I THINK it's suppose to be depressing?). But I really like Felicity Jones, so... I'll get around to it.

Feel like rewatching BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, because that was something I watched when I was finishing high school, and it really spoke to me when I was going through some stuff. But don't wanna ruin my nostalgic image of it xD

Also wanna rewatch FLCL since it's getting a second season. Love this show, I watched it at an important time in my life and it's very rewatchable, with great music and voice acting (dub). Great to watch and just chill -- or rock -- out to.

Last edited by Fuzzy Barbarian; 03/29/16 07:14 AM.

There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.
Ultra Jorge #893581 04/05/16 08:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So this past year of movies has for one reason or another been one of the best in a long time! I know this because my wife and I recently watched most of the highly praised movies and were delighted to find that most of them deserved all that praise.

I mentioned the awesome Trumbo in the thread earlier and I have to reiterate how incredible it was. Bryan Cranston is simply one of the most watchable actors on television, and it helps that the script was befitting a movie about such an iconic screenwriter. The rest of the cast was awesome as well, and the topic—the Blacklist—remains relevant.

Brooklyn, which I only watched after my wife convinced me, was equally terrific. A somewhat small scale romantic drama in 1950’s Brooklyn, I was mesmerized by the movie from start to finish. Tightly scripted, wonderfully acted and beautiful to look at. This is a movie that absolutely deserved all the praise it received. And while it is romantic, it is about so much more, and is wonderfully complex.

Bridge of Spies is everything you hope a Stephen Spielberg / Tom Hanks movie would be. One of the tightest Spielberg movies in recent years, it does what he does best by showing realistic heroism that is masculine yet not macho. Loaded with great performances and super-high tension, I loved it.

I also loved The Big Short. I’ve long been a fan of books by Michael Lewis (including the incredible Flash Boys, who should be made into a film and the awesome Money Ball) and director Adam McKay is one to watch: great at what he does but with a comedy background that lends itself well to intense moments followed by great comedy relief. Of course, the marquee draw is the awesome cast and they do not let you down. All of these things contribute to an excellent story that does a great job explaining the economic crisis, yet does so in an entertaining way. At my job I had to face the problems of mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps day in and day out for several years and I’m amazed at how succinctly and enjoyably the film is able to explain these hugely complex financial instruments. While entertaining, it definitely isn’t a feel good movie considering the true ending, but that certainly is the point.

While all of these were incredible, the best of the year though simply has to go to Spotlight, which was amazing. Dealing with the uncomfortable subject matter of the group of reporters who first started to bring the pedophilia in the Catholic Church in Boston, it never flinches from revealing the incredible story how this was done, yet makes you care about every one of the characters all the way through. Terrific cast—highlighted by Mark Ruffalo’s best performance thus far in his career—it is a movie that will restore your faith in journalism.

Ultra Jorge #894506 04/15/16 01:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The first season of The Six Million Dollar Man. If you haven't heard the original intro by Dusty Springfield, you just gotta. I cannot accurately describe it... It's either awfully good, or horribly awful.

The Dresden Files. Guy that is on Arrow played dresden. Not a great fit, and they changed a LOT for the show, but not bad either.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Ultra Jorge #894667 04/16/16 02:12 PM
The Animaniacs are on Netflix!!

BouncingBoy

Watching gems like "Back In Style," in which Hanna-Barbera and Filmation get completely savaged, is one of those things that makes life totally worthwhile.

Ultra Jorge #894681 04/16/16 03:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Still plugging IZombie. Set up and pulled off a great final. Worried a bit they may have messed up a great baddie but he's too popular the way he was, they'll find a way.

rickshaw1 #894806 04/17/16 03:47 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
The Dresden Files. Guy that is on Arrow played dresden. Not a great fit, and they changed a LOT for the show, but not bad either.

I think I actually like the shows version of 'Bob' than the one from the books! Heresy, I know.

For new stuff, been watching the new series Wynona Earp, which is kind of like Supernatural, with a lady protagonist (who acts a lot like Jessica Jones).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #894894 04/18/16 03:15 PM
Substitute
Substitute
DC's Legion of Collectors:

Marvel's Collector Corps:

Same product. Same company partner. (Funko)

Why is Marvel's ad so much better?

Show me the monkey!
Sue Pergirl #894985 04/20/16 01:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl

Why is Marvel's ad so much better?

Because DC really just can't get out of their own way. The marketing for B v S was so relentless about how dark it was ("Hey everyone, this is a "dark" film, It's cool because of that, right?"), that even something that's a light hearted take on it, is still tome-deaf. It's not fun or funny to just see Funko figs re-enact the same grim scene from BvS, they should have done something funny or silly to subvert the scene more, but I suspect no one from DC would sign off on that. I'm sure they shake their heads every time a light-hearted LEGO Batman trailer airs, but it's tolerated because it will make them scads of cash.

Dave Hackett #896020 05/04/16 03:46 AM
Substitute
Substitute

Show me the monkey!
Ultra Jorge #896352 05/08/16 06:58 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I borrowed the DVD of The Returned Season 1 from the Library. It is a French show (although I think A&E did an American version) It is in French with English Subtitles. It is about a small city in the French Alps. About 5 people have returned from the dead after being dead for a number of years. They don't remember dying. One of the returned is a serial killer. Other strange things are happening in the city also.

Very good.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Ultra Jorge #897303 05/20/16 05:51 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I just finished the last 2 episodes of the current season of Bates Motel. All I can say is.... ElasticLad

I didn't think the show would go there with one more season still to go, I really didn't. Shocking....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #897308 05/20/16 09:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Vikings. Just started Monday and am halfway through the first ten episodes of season four. Now I'll have to wait until the second half airs sometime later this year. It loses steam in season three but the first two were some of the best tv I've seen in a while.

Ultra Jorge #897349 05/21/16 01:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Rush Hour

The actors and characters I like, really fun with great chemistry and the camera work, the fight scenes all great but the writing, UGGHHH! Shame this will die on a vine with so much potential.

Ultra Jorge #897350 05/21/16 01:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
No Game of Thrones watchers?

Page 78 of 86 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,476
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kappa Kid
Kappa Kid
Los Angeles, CA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star