Roll Call
1 members (Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker), 118 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/28/24 08:39 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:30 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:26 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Book of Talok
#90119 05/26/10 05:16 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
This thread will showcase fanfics chronicling the adventures of Talok's champions across the ages.

Here are links to two I already wrote and posted:

Amber Alert , featuring Lydea Mallor.

Twilight/Beware My Power , featuring Tasmia Mallor.

And here's my latest, featuring Lyrissa Mallor:

CHAMPIONS

“Congratulations, Lady Mallor,” said the doctor, “you are going to have a daughter.”

“All the ancestors be praised!” said Lyrissa Mallor, Champion of Talok VIII.

“I realize your duties keep you very active,” said the doctor, “but I would suggest you attempt to curtail them as much as possible for the time being.”

“I shall take that into consideration.” replied Lyrissa, who until that moment had lived for her duties.

As her one-person space-cruiser headed back to its home planet (Talok VIII was quite a primitive world and the better doctors were off-world), she pondered the changes and challenges that would come with motherhood.

Suddenly, as she was making an effort to stay clear of the borders of the always-unstable Space Sector 1417, the shockwave of a nearby explosion rocked the cruiser and caused her to lose control of it. The cruiser spun over the border and into the path of what Lyrissa recognized as a Khund battleship.

Lyrissa knew that even if she regained control the cruiser, it would probably be too late to get out of the way of the battleship.

Then, just as she was about to panic, she suddenly found herself surrounded by a cloud of green energy and pulled out of the cruiser.

As Lyrissa saw the battleship smash the cruiser into a million pieces, she wondered who her rescuer could have been. She turned her head to see a dark-haired humanoid woman like her, only with red skin instead of blue. The strange woman wielded a ring discharging the green energy. “But of course,” thought Lyrissa, “a Green Lantern!”

With Lyrissa safely enclosed in the green energy bubble, the Green Lantern gracefully sped through space with Lyrissa in tow, expertly dodging laser fire and missiles from the battleships. Watching the battle, Lyrissa thought she recognized the opposing battleships as Korugarian. Her educated guess was confirmed as she saw the planet Korugar getting closer and closer as the Green Lantern headed for the planet’s surface.

They landed amidst panic in the streets as a Khund ships was touching ground and unleashing heavily armed shock troopers, who began firing into the crowd. The Green Lantern released Lyrissa from the bubble and said, “There is an underground shelter nearby. I must go now and fight off the invaders.”

“Wait,” said Lyrissa, “I am a trained fighter and I possess shadow powers. Allow me to help you.”

“Very well,” replied the Green Lantern without hesitation, “I need all the help I can get. Fight off the shock troopers while I take care of the ships.”

Lyrissa obeyed, draping a blanket of shadow over the shock troopers. Seizing the advantage, Lyrissa single-handedly beat up and disarmed the blinded and confused shock troopers.

Meanwhile, the Green Lantern created a giant hand made of green energy and used it to pick up the landed Khund ship and hurl it at another Khund ship which was attempting to land. The two ships smashed into each other. The Green Lantern then fired straightforward green energy blasts at the remaining Khund ships, damaging them severely. This gave the Korugarian ships the opportunity to rally, and soon the Khund ships were sent retreating.

“Thank you for your help,” said the Green Lantern, “and now I’ll return the favor by taking you back to your home planet.”

“Do you not have a great deal of work ahead of you here?” asked Lyrissa.

“I can’t stay on Korugar for long.” the Green Lantern replied grimly, “I never can. I’ll explain why when we reach your home.”

Enclosing Lyrissa once more in a bubble, the Green Lantern took flight. As they lifted off, Lyrissa realized that some of the surviving Korugarians were throwing rocks at the Green Lantern, despite her major role in saving their lives! The Green Lantern’s explanation promised to be disturbing.

“Please forgive the primitiveness of my world.” said Lyrissa with uncharacteristic sheepishness as she handed the Green Lantern a drink. The two women were outdoors in the austere surroundings of Talok VIII.

“No need to apologize.” said the Green Lantern. “I’ve learned the hard way not to judge by appearances.”

“It occurs to me,” said Lyrissa, “that we have not made proper introductions. I am Lyrissa Mallor, planetary champion.”

“I,” said the Green Lantern, “am Katma Tui, and in a just universe the Korugarians would regard you the same way as the Talokians seem to regard you. Sadly, that’s not the case.

“I am not the first Korugarian to become a Green Lantern. The first was Sinestro. I don’t know the details of his downfall, but the upshot was that he abused his power to become the tyrannical ruler of Korugar. I led a successful rebellion against him. That should have been the end of the story, but life is not that way.

“Seeking to redeem the public perception of Korugar, I accepted an offer to become Sinestro’s replacement as the Green Lantern of my space sector. Sadly, I underestimated just how much the Korugarians had come to regard everything to do with the Green Lanterns as symbols of oppression. I became a pariah. They began calling me ‘Katma Tui the Lost.’ But as a Green Lantern and as a Korugarian, I am duty-bound to protect the planet, even though they’d rather I did not.”

Katma breathed a deep sigh.

“What world do you call home now?” queried Lyrissa.

“Earth.” replied Katma. “It’s where my lover, John, is from.” She used her ring to create a life-size likeness of John, who proved to be a strapping, handsome male human of African-American heritage.

“Someday,” mused Katma wistfully, “we hope to start a family.”

“It so happens,” said Lyrissa, “that I am with child. I found out earlier it shall be a girl.”

“Congratulations.” said Katma. “I haven’t known you long, but I can sense you’ll make a wonderful mother.”

“I hope so.” said Lyrissa. “I haven’t any notion of how to balance motherhood with my duties.” She looked to the sky. “And the universe is becoming more dangerous all the time. Empiricist societies such as the Khunds have been expanding their horizons at a frightening rate.”

Katma nodded and said, “There’s even talk of an alien alliance being formed.”

“It almost saddens me,” said Lyrissa, “to bring a child into such a universe.”

“Don’t think like that.” said Katma firmly. “The best you and I can do is continue fighting to make the universe a better and safer place.”

“You speak the truth.” replied Lyrissa. “Thank you.”

“I thank you,” said Katma as she began to levitate, “for your help on Korugar and your hospitality here on Talok VIII.”

“Perhaps we shall meet again.” said Lyrissa.

“I’m counting on it.” said Katma, smiling.

And with those words, Katma flew into the stratosphere and beyond, setting out on her own journey back to Earth. Lyrissa watched Katma get smaller until she faded away.

They would never see each other again.

NEVER THE END

Now that you have finished the story, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: The Book of Talok
#90120 05/26/10 08:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I loved Lyrissa and felt that she died much to soon.
sigh

I thought that Katma died, too, but Wasn't she in Blackest Night with Kyle?

Anyway, thank-you for writing about my favorite DC family. And I enjoyed Lyrissa taking out the Khundian stormtroopers!

I plan on reading the other 2 stories soon.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#90121 05/26/10 08:48 PM
OP Offline
You're very welcome, Shady. They're my favorite DC family, too.

Glad you enjoyed the story.

Katma died one of the ugliest, most ill-conceived deaths in the history of the DCU. Naturally, it was editorially mandated. I skipped Blackest Night, but I suspect she was just portrayed as a generic zombie.

I look forward to finding out what you think of the other stories.

#90122 05/27/10 12:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It's strange, but I thought she was a living member.
I'll have to look it up.
She had a red complexion and black, short hair and she was Kyle's love interest.
I just assumed she was Katma.
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#90123 05/27/10 05:26 AM
OP Offline
That was Soranik Natu, also a Korugarian and Katma's official replacement. She was introduced in 2005's Green Lantern Corps: Recharge mini-series. I didn't like her at first, but she has evolved into an interesting character.

#90124 05/27/10 02:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ahhhh.

DC tends to see beings of other colors as sort of interchangeable.
Kill one here, plug in another of similar looks there.

Actually, they do that with ALL colors of people.
Yet, they won't let certain heroes age and have their children take over.

At least, traditionally.
Dick Grayson and Bruce's son have taken over for Bruce recently and however temporarily.

I'll get off my soap box now.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#90125 05/28/10 03:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wow!
I LOVED, loved, loved the Twilight story!
That was amazing!

I could see every bit of it in my mind.
You brought back Rond and powered up Tasmia.
And so many Legionnaires were in the story and working so well together.
Quis and Tellus and Jo.
Even Lar was used on an enemy worthy of him.

Good stuff!
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#90126 05/28/10 04:43 AM
OP Offline
Thank you so much for the kind words, Shady. Very gratifying.

#90127 05/29/10 02:15 PM
OP Offline
The latest chronicle takes place in the present day and features the current Starman, Mikaal Tomas of Talok III, along with the Justice League of America.

...THAN TO CURSE THE DARKNESS

CHAPTER 1

“Well, look what the cat dragged in!” quipped Congorilla.

“And good morning to you, too.” grumbled a disheveled Starman, who had just arrived at JLA headquarters.

“Oh, Mik,” said Congorilla, “you know I only tease you because I care. What happened to you?”

Starman paused before replying, “I had a few drinks with an old friend last night.”

“I thought you said your partying days were long over?”

“I didn’t party. I just couldn’t sleep because of the things we talked about. Not a blessed wink.”

“Sorry to hear that.”

“Um...thanks.”

The two friends took their seats at the conference table and waited for the rest of the team to arrive. As they waited, Starman flashed back to the eventful night before.

THE NIGHT BEFORE...

“What on Earth are you doing in this den of iniquity?” the Shade asked Starman as they took their seats in a booth in a trendy nightclub.

“I might ask the same of you.” replied Starman dryly.

“I’ve been in far stranger environments that this one.” said the Shade with a sly smile. “But in all seriousness, I come bearing a message for you.”

“From who?”

“The shadows.”

“Huh?”

“Ah, yes, I suppose I should explain. My not inconsiderable powers make me one with all of the shadow dimensions across the universe. A cry for help – specifically, help from you – came to me from the shadows of the planet Talok VIII. A sister planet to your homeworld, I believe?”

“I’ve heard of it, but I don’t know much about it, beyond meeting their 30th Century champion when Jack and I were travelling back and forth through time. Come to think of it, that was when I found out I’m not the last of my race.”

“Indeed you are not, for it is your race which is attacking Talok VIII as we speak. Your people are raised to be conquerors, are they not?”

“So these...shadows...want me to fight off an army of my own people?”

“The shadows of Talok VIII seek guidance, and they are convinced that only you can show them the way. Besides, from what I gather, there is no love lost between you and your brethren.”

“No, there isn’t. But I don’t think I could take them alone.”

“Can you not simply bring along the powerful friends you have made recently?”

“I suppose I could...but why didn’t you go right to them?”

“My dear boy, I have been a villain in my time, remember?”

“What makes you think they’ll believe this outrageous story or that they’ll agree to join me?”

“I fear that is your burden to shoulder, Mikaal. And now I must take my leave. Until next we meet.”

THE PRESENT...

“...and that’s the situation.” said Starman to the rest of the JLA. “Now, how soon can we leave for Talok VIII?”

“Whoa,” replied Green Arrow, “put on the breaks, kid. Why should we interfere in a squabble between two foreign powers...alien powers, yet?”

“Isn’t that the sort of thing you guys do all the time?” asked a puzzled Starman.

“Only if they’re a direct threat to the Earth.” answered Green Lantern.

“Who’s to say they might not become a threat if we don’t intercede?” queried Mon-El.

“Read some history books, willya?” groused Green Arrow. “The last thing I want is to be part of a team that sets off a space version of the Vietnam War.”

“It would seem to me,” said Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi), “that perhaps they seek to dominate and control the powers of the shadows for use in further conquests.”

“She’s right,” said Donna Troy, “and we can’t stand by and let that happen.”

“And if we start policing the universe,” asked Cyborg, “what happens to America? To Earth?”

“We could sit here doing the point-counterpoint thing until we’re all blue in the face.” said Batman (Dick Grayson) indignantly. “I move that we vote on it.”

“Seconded.” said Green Lantern.

“Ahh, c’mon, buddy, don’t do this to me!” complained Green Arrow to Green Lantern.

“We will vote.” said Donna Troy firmly. “All in favor, say ‘aye.’”

Donna, Batman, Mon-El, Doctor Light, Starman, and Congorilla all said “Aye.”

“All against it, say ‘nay.’”

Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Cyborg all said “Nay.”

“The ‘ayes’ have it.”

“Well,” huffed Green Arrow, “you can count me out. I didn’t join this band of merry men to go around playing space cop.” He got up and walked away.

“That’s a great start to this mission.” muttered Starman.

“He’ll be back.” said Green Lantern serenely.

LATER...

Exactly as Green Lantern had predicted, the JLA was in the process of boarding their spaceship to Talok VIII when Green Arrow rushed onto the launching site.

“You didn’t really think I was gonna miss out on this shindig, didya?” said Green Arrow between heavy breaths.

“Now, whatever could’ve made you change your mind?” asked Green Lantern, as serenely as before.

“Hey,” replied Green Arrow, “somebody has to keep the whippersnappers in line, and you ain’t qualified, Mister Foolhardy.”

The two old friends shared a laugh as the spaceship launched.

TO BE CONTINUED

#90128 05/30/10 07:41 AM
OP Offline
...THAN TO CURSE THE DARKNESS

CHAPTER 2

As the JLA’s spaceship closed in on Talok VIII, Starman gasped loudly and trembled violently.

“What’s wrong?” asked Congorilla.

After a tense few seconds, Starman found his voice. “I can feel the shadows calling to me! It must be because we’re so close to the planet!”

“Easy, now.” said Donna Troy. “I think I should go with you, in case you become overwhelmed again.” She turned to Batman. “Dick, you’ll lead the battle against the invaders.”

“My pleasure.” said Batman.

“We need to go to a cavern in the mountains.” said Starman to Donna, pointing to a specific spot on the spaceship’s scanner.

“Good.” said Donna. “That’s far away from where the battle is going on. GL, drop us off in that region.”

Green Lantern created a two-seater pod with his ring. “All aboard.” he said as Donna and Starman climbed in.

Within minutes, Green Lantern had gently deposited Donna and Starman on the side of a mountain and flown back into the ship, which changed course for the other side of the planet.

“Hal,” said Batman to Green Lantern, “I want you and Mon-El to take the point and breach the invaders’ mothership. And bring along Ollie. He’s our best close-quarters fighter.”

“All right! Some respect for the old man!” exulted Green Arrow. “Dick, have I told you you’re doing a great job in your new ID?”

Batman outwardly kept his cool, but inside he was jumping for joy.

As the spaceship neared the battlezone, Mon-El exited the ship, with Green Lantern close behind carrying Green Arrow in a giant hand-shaped construct.

The spaceship then landed, and Batman, Cyborg, Doctor Light, and Congorilla joined the primitive army of Talok VIII as ground-combat reinforcements. Batman’s martial arts, Cyborg’s strength, fighting prowess, and sonic blaster, Doctor Light’s burning-hot rays, and Congorilla’s brute force all combined to send the invaders’ ground troops running for cover.

But then, the invaders’ air force began firing lasers and missiles at the JLA-ers. Batman signaled to Doctor Light and Cyborg the exact maneuver to counteract the assault. Doctor Light laid down cover fire for Cyborg, who leaped onto the invaders aircraft that was flying lowest, smashed his way into the cockpit, and threw out the pilot. Taking control of the aircraft was easy for Cyborg, thanks to his ability to interface almost immediately with the aircraft’s computer. Cyborg then engaged the other aircraft in battle. Doctor Light took to the air to make it a double-pronged counter-attack.

A short distance away, Mon-El was tearing into the hull of the invaders’ mothership. He leaped inside...and straight into the path of a cosmic blast which knocked him down.

Green Lantern and Green Arrow were shocked to see who had felled their comrade-in-arms.

“DESPERO!” exclaimed Green Lantern.

“So,” said Despero, surrounded by his lieutenants from Talok III, “the Justice League continues to be a thorn in my side. You shall not throw a spanner in the works this time!”

TO BE CONTINUED

#90129 05/30/10 05:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wonderful first story. I loved both those ladies, and while Lyrissa died a death I can understand (whether I agree with it or not), Katma was slaughtered for no real reason.

You just proved that there are good stories to be told with James' JLA team...just not by him with editorial mandates.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#90130 05/30/10 05:32 PM
OP Offline
Thank you, Dev. You've made my night. And the ride's just going to get wilder from here.

Lyrissa's death was heartbreaking and bone-chilling, but I think it made sense in the big picture. Katma's death was utterly senseless.

#90131 05/30/10 05:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Stealthie, just a quick note-- my friend is on his way to take me out and I'm not going to pass up free booze (it just wouldn't be me if I did!), so I have to get ready-- reading this is top of my agenda though tomorrow (tonight if I'm not too too tipsy!)

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#90132 05/30/10 05:44 PM
OP Offline
Leaving that note was very considerate of you, Lash. Thank you.

#90133 05/30/10 07:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Thank you, Dev. You've made my night. And the ride's just going to get wilder from here.

Lyrissa's death was heartbreaking and bone-chilling, but I think it made sense in the big picture. Katma's death was utterly senseless.
That's just the thing that get's me. There was a solid story telling point to the death of Lyrissa. It affected people for a long time. It had meaning. It made you feel for everyone involved...even Dox.

Katma's death was just a waste.

#90134 05/31/10 01:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Leaving that note was very considerate of you, Lash. Thank you.
Just wanted you to know! I'm home now but prolly NOT in the proper condition to read and comment right now... smile

But while I'm here and feelin' a mite liquor-brave, I'd like to propose we form some sorta... alliance, or SOMEthing, I dunno what... to bring more attention to the written works in BITS.

There's some fun stuff here... not all of it has pretty pictures attached but it deserves to be read! Ya'll got any ideas on that?!?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#90135 05/31/10 05:46 AM
OP Offline
Lash, I will absolutely get back to you on that once I've come up with some concrete ideas.

Dev, I completely agree with you re: Lyrissa's death, and it's proof positive of just what an exceptional writer Alan Grant is.

And, finally, a heads-up: the week ahead is shaping up to be a busy one for me, so I figure I won't have the second half of the story ready to post until this weekend.

#90136 05/31/10 07:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Let me know what I can do to help my fellow onlies. wink

#90137 05/31/10 03:49 PM
OP Offline
Lash, Dev, expect private messages from me later tonight.

#90138 05/31/10 09:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
re: CHAMPIONS... Katma!! Always did like her and HATED the ACTION COMICS WEEKLY story in which she was killed (which I think is now invalidated... thanksfully).

Lyrissa... LOVED her and was heartbroken when she was killed... which I think is a sign of a well-written, meaningful death and all-around successful character.

And both characters are well-written in this tale. It was fun yet also melancholy with what we know is going to happen to both ladies... and driven home by the powerful last sentence.

#90139 05/31/10 09:10 PM
OP Offline
High praise, indeed.

Thank you kindly, Lash.

Looking forward now to finding out what you think of the JLA story so far.

#90140 06/01/10 12:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
OK I am caught up!

The Shade remains in... shady (yes I went there) yet still likeable character.

I love how Dick/Batman really makes a more rounded Batman than Bruce. Of course Dick would have no qualms about blasting off into space considering his past with the Titans. Nice.

Mik is a fun character to write, I'll bet.

Despero, eh? Our heroes are going to GET IT, aren't they? Ouch!

Looking forward to the next chapter!!

#90141 06/02/10 06:34 AM
OP Offline
Re: The Shade -- THANK YOU, LASH! I was so nervous about whether or not I'd gotten the Shade just right, probably the most nervous I've ever been in my five years of fanfic writing.

Re: Dick/Batman -- I'm so glad somebody else feels the same way about him as me. No matter what happens in the "real" DCU, Dick will remain Batman in my fanfics.

Re: Mik -- Yes, I am having a BLAST writing him. I've got so many plans for him. He's going to be to my JLA fanfics what the Black Knight was to my favorite Avengers era.

Re: Despero -- Yep, he's going to kick some superhero butt. I thought it only appropriate that my first JLA fanfic should have the same Big Bad as the first issue of the original JLA series.

Thanks again, Lash.

Parts 3 and 4 coming this weekend!

#90142 06/03/10 06:38 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fun story FL! Your characterisation of Green Arrow made me chuckle! So him to be quitting and re-joining the team every 5 minutes.

Agreed on the wasted death of Katma. And Chaselon. And Eddore. And Hollika Rhan. And Gallius Zed. And all the other GLs that creatively bankrupt writers keep killing off for lack of anything fresh to do with their stories.

Unless FL does it in one of her's in which case it's poignant. laugh

#90143 06/03/10 03:56 PM
OP Offline
Thank you, Blacula. laugh

Even some of the good GL writers are guilty, though -- Steve Engelhart killed Tomar-Re!

Green Arrow is one of my favorite DCU characters, and he's a lot of fun to write. I've decided that my next JLA fanfic will be an untold tale from the Satellite Era, narrated by Green Arrow.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,980
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
BouncingBear
BouncingBear
San Francisco
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star