Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:10 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/26/24 08:03 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21
Re: The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
Eryk Davis Ester #952670 06/28/18 12:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A fork in the road: next week, should we do Tales #322 or LSH #9?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Eryk Davis Ester #952684 06/28/18 02:59 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I had started reviewing #9, but that was just out of sequential habit. If there's any plot reason why it should be 322, I'm like Ethel's cousin Earful Eric.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #952686 06/28/18 03:24 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Agreed. I haven't read ahead. If there's any reason to do 322 first, let's go for it.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Eryk Davis Ester #952706 06/28/18 08:09 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
For some reason, I just looked at some of the old Archives threads, and it seems to me like Best of DC Digest # 24 slipped through the cracks between volumes 17 and 18.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Eryk Davis Ester #952707 06/29/18 01:27 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Was that the one with the new pages framing an older story?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #952710 06/29/18 03:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yes, it was the Tarik the Mute story, with new pages showing new costumes, the HQ and the cruiser. I suggested we skip it (two pages back in this thread) since it was mostly a repeat and no one objected. There was a new story, however. The new costume pages may be viewed courtesy of the Legion of Super-Bloggers and the new story pages are discussed here. In retrospect, we could have reviewed the framing pages without devoting much time to the repeat story. If anyone wants to add it in as an interlude to the current Archive, I'm fine with that.

For next week, we might as well do Tales #322. It's not terribly plot-dependent, but there is a one page Thom & Nura scene which may spill into LSH #9. Otherwise it's all Dawnstar & Brainy on Kol's planet.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Eryk Davis Ester #952723 06/29/18 09:07 AM
I remember seeing the digest on the stands and, since it was mostly a reprint of stories I already had, I didn't buy it. This sort of framing sequence--a blatant attempt to lead into "flashbacks"--doesn't appeal to me. It's of minor significance that one-time Legion villain Tarik the Mute has died. If anyone sees value in reviewing this story, perhaps it can be added on the vol. 17 or 18 thread.

Eryk Davis Ester #952774 06/30/18 11:14 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sorry to change direction but I just read Tales #322 and it should come after LSH #9, since the lost Legionnaires have returned. So this Tuesday we should review LSH #9.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Eryk Davis Ester #952793 06/30/18 09:31 PM
Noted (and already read, for a change smile ).

Eryk Davis Ester #956832 08/22/18 05:07 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I thought I should broach this with plenty of notice:

I'm planning to return to the re-read with the issues that coincide with Crisis on Infinite Earths (Baxter 14-18.) What would be the consensus on whether we should leave a sidebar CoIE re-read optional or obligatory? Alternately, if we make it optional, I'd be happy to provide reviews of all 12 issues, since I had already been planning to do so in the Gym'll's forum either way, and anybody would be free to chime in if they want to.

And while we're on the subject of the Legion Re-Read, I'm curious as to whether LSH #325 marks the end of Volume 21, or not.

It goes without saying that I shan't participate in the discussion of the Legion of Substitute Heroes Special, whether it closes 21 or opens 22.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Eryk Davis Ester #956833 08/22/18 05:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Good to see you back for the new members issue. Not for the nice Lithyl one next issue? The sooner the better.

I had been thinking of adding a Crisis post onto my normal reviews, as I also split out my meanderings down memory lane section. But like a Universo victim, I'm open to suggestions. smile

I last read Crisis when I was putting together my Justice League Detroit thing for Bits. I ended up getting distracted by the giant plot holes in it, and what it would take to fix them. I'll have notes somewhere.

Eryk Davis Ester #956836 08/22/18 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
We'll end this volume with the Subs Special, since it was referred to in Tales #325.

Volume 22 proposal: LSH #13 - 20, with the Annual "Who Shot Laurel Kent?" between #15 and #16. That's 9 issues.

There's the 4-issue Legionnaires 3. Do people want to include that in this archive or the next one?

Don't have any particular ideas for Crisis. I had the book out of the library last month but had to return it; I don't remember at which point the Legionnaires (apart from Dawnstar) got involved. So I'll leave it up to thoth, Annfie and whoever else would be reviewing Crisis to decide whether to include it as a postscript to the Archive reviews or set up a separate thread.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
thoth lad #956837 08/22/18 06:48 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Good to see you back for the new members issue. Not for the nice Lithyl one next issue? The sooner the better.

Thank you, Thoth, that is very kind of you to say. I like the Lithyl issue very much (partly because I think it's one of the few Baxter issues that works as a stand-alone,) and I seriously considered coming back with that one. But the New Members issue...that's such a sense of occasion! Also, the New Members issue has a deceptively incidental development involving a female Legionnaire and the mysterious helmet she wears for most of the issue...it is quite meaningful to me. smile

Originally Posted by thoth lad
I had been thinking of adding a Crisis post onto my normal reviews, as I also split out my meanderings down memory lane section. But like a Universo victim, I'm open to suggestions. smile

I last read Crisis when I was putting together my Justice League Detroit thing for Bits. I ended up getting distracted by the giant plot holes in it, and what it would take to fix them. I'll have notes somewhere.

Great. I've been enjoying yours and He Who's fan reminisces a lot. Sadly, I have nothing to contribute for any phase of the Legion Re-Read -- my most vivid fan memories don't involve any DC books, but rather Marvel during the apex/nadir of the teeth-grinding era. wink

Hope you find those notes. I'd be interested in learning how you think CoIE could have been improved. Off the top of my head -- leave Supergirl and Huntress alive, dammit! wink

Fat Cramer #956838 08/22/18 06:55 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
We'll end this volume with the Subs Special, since it was referred to in Tales #325.

Okay.

(I'm struggling to contain my glee at its absence from Volume 22. But I'll stop there.) wink

Volume 22 proposal: LSH #13 - 20, with the Annual "Who Shot Laurel Kent?" between #15 and #16. That's 9 issues.

There's the 4-issue Legionnaires 3. Do people want to include that in this archive or the next one?

I second ending it at Baxter 20, as that means Volume 23 will start out with Sarya leading the Takron-Galtos breakout in Baxter 21.

And I vote in favor of including Legionnaires 3, at the very least so this volume isn't too thin.

Don't have any particular ideas for Crisis. I had the book out of the library last month but had to return it; I don't remember at which point the Legionnaires (apart from Dawnstar) got involved. So I'll leave it up to thoth, Annfie and whoever else would be reviewing Crisis to decide whether to include it as a postscript to the Archive reviews or set up a separate thread.

Thanks, Cramey. After having thought about it for a bit, I favor the postscript approach so that there's no awkward crossing-over between this forum and Gym'll's. (And, yes, anyone who wants to read meta-commentary about event storylines into that last sentence is free to do so.) smile

Eryk Davis Ester #956848 08/22/18 07:51 PM
I don't plan to review Crisis (though that could change), so whatever people want to do is fine by me.

If there is a large interest in reviewing it, perhaps the best choice would be to review it in its own thread, as I did with the Karate Kid series two years ago. This would allow people to discuss each issue (including non-Legion content) in depth. But if the only interest is to comment on the Legion's appearances, then a postscript approach might be best.

He Who Wanders #956863 08/23/18 04:45 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
I don't plan to review Crisis (though that could change)

Here's hoping. nod

so whatever people want to do is fine by me.

Thanks, He Who.

If there is a large interest in reviewing it, perhaps the best choice would be to review it in its own thread, as I did with the Karate Kid series two years ago. This would allow people to discuss each issue (including non-Legion content) in depth. But if the only interest is to comment on the Legion's appearances, than a postscript approach might be best.

Good point. Now I'm actually leaning towards the separate thread (or, possibly, the Re-Reads thread in Gy'mll's forum?) Which would you prefer, Thoth?

He Who Wanders #956864 08/23/18 04:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I don't plan to review Crisis (though that could change), so whatever people want to do is fine by me.

If there is a large interest in reviewing it, perhaps the best choice would be to review it in its own thread, as I did with the Karate Kid series two years ago. This would allow people to discuss each issue (including non-Legion content) in depth. But if the only interest is to comment on the Legion's appearances, than a postscript approach might be best.

I second this suggestion. I feel that reviewing Crisis and other events in the Legion archives thread, should be done with a focus on the Legion. In the Reboot reread, I review crossovers the Legion appears in (e.g. Final Night) with a focus only on the Legion's bits. Crisis deserves its own thread: it involves so many more characters than the Legion, and the Legion (besides Superman) is absent for the ending.

Eryk Davis Ester #956865 08/23/18 04:48 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks for chiming in, Ibby.

Eryk Davis Ester #956899 08/23/18 07:35 AM
As for Legionnaires 3, perhaps it should be covered in its own thread along with the Cosmic Boy mini-series and any other eventual spin-offs, such as Timber Wolf. Perhaps the thread could be called "Legion Spin-offs" or "Legion Solo Series." Since the story lines don't really overlap with LSH (as I recall), such a thread would allow us to discuss each series in depth without distracting from the reviews of the main series. These reviews could even be added on to the existing Karate Kid thread, though I think it should be kept separate since KK was a regular series and reflects a different era.

He Who Wanders #956906 08/23/18 07:53 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
As for Legionnaires 3, perhaps it should be covered in its own thread along with the Cosmic Boy mini-series and any other eventual spin-offs, such as Timber Wolf. Perhaps the thread could be called "Legion Spin-offs" or "Legion Solo Series." Since the story lines don't really overlap with LSH (as I recall), such a thread would allow us to discuss each series in depth with distracting from the reviews of the main series. These reviews could even be added on to the existing Karate Kid thread, though I think it should be kept separate since KK was a regular series and reflects a different era.

Good idea. I'll second He Who's suggestion.

Eryk Davis Ester #956964 08/23/18 11:45 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sounds good. We can start a Spin-Off Archives thread when we get to Legionnaires 3. It starts with a cover date of February 86; LSH #20 is dated March 86.

Should this next Archive be a short one with 9 issues or go onto to the Emerald Empress story (#21-#26) for a 15-issue Archive? Or 16 issues, if we want to extend it to Sensor Girl becoming leader in #27.

Legionnaires 3 would come in the middle of this, chronologically, so if we went with a longer Archive, we could either postpone Legionnaires 3 or pause the reviews of this particular Archive.

Decisions, decisions!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #956976 08/23/18 01:07 PM

Should this next Archive be a short one with 9 issues or go onto to the Emerald Empress story (#21-#26) for a 15-issue Archive? Or 16 issues, if we want to extend it to Sensor Girl becoming leader in #27.

Without reading ahead ( evil ), I would go for wherever there's a natural break--even if it happens in mid story.

Legionnaires 3 would come in the middle of this, chronologically, so if we went with a longer Archive, we could either postpone Legionnaires 3 or pause the reviews of this particular Archive.

Decisions, decisions!

Suspending the main thread sounds good to me. L3 is only a three-issue series, so it might be a good idea to take a three-week break from the Archive and come back to it afresh--like a field trip. smile

Eryk Davis Ester #957032 08/23/18 06:29 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Wheeee. A field trip! We can have silly pop song sing-alongs, and press our faces against the bus windows to freak out other people. lol

Eryk Davis Ester #957034 08/23/18 06:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
… and we can go to the Grand Canyon and tell each other our harrowing origin stories... no wait, that was the Titans...

-The Cosmic Boy mini leads straightishly into the Superboy finale doesn't it?

Eryk Davis Ester #957041 08/23/18 07:34 PM
A field trip to the Grand Canyon? Now that sounds like a blast. Nightcrawler

I don't remember the Cos mini-series or the Superboy finale (old brain cells and all that), but, if so, maybe the Superboy finale could be reviewed in the Spin-off thread, as well.

Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,957
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Bi-Polar Boy
Bi-Polar Boy
in a lithium haze