Roll Call
0 members (), 23 Murran Spies, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/21/24 12:35 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:03 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legion Planet Locations
#946502 03/28/18 05:59 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I have looked throughout the website proper and wiki, and even DC's website, and I can't seem to find any maps. I know the Legion is not the best well-known property; but I assumed for the Green Lantern books there would be something that showed where the important planets are in the Milky Way. All I need is a basic map in Star Trek style with the planets labelled; if anyone has one or knows of a book please let me know. I don't want to use my own judgment for fan-fiction if there is an actual source.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: Legion Planet Locations
Emily Sivana #946503 03/28/18 06:04 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
There were maps in the Mayfair Games Legion Sourcebooks from the late 80s/early 90s.

The original Legion Worlds miniseries had coordinates for the planets featured in it.

There's probably more.

Emily Sivana #947199 04/10/18 12:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Here's the one from the 2995 Sourcebook, written by the Beirbaums

[Linked Image]

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Emily Sivana #947218 04/10/18 04:49 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thank you, thoth lad. As I suspected, The United Planets lines up pretty well with Star Trek's Federation Space. The only glaring admission is Earth's location on the meridian, but I assume it was destroyed because of the "New Earth" listed. I think I'll just have a question and answer session to address differences between official maps and my Earth-S fan fiction.

It's weird that there are UP planets placed after the galactic wall, unless that is supposed to represent another galaxy.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Emily Sivana #947552 04/16/18 02:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
It's weird that there are UP planets placed after the galactic wall, unless that is supposed to represent another galaxy.

Do you mean like 24. Altair-5? If it's related to our Altair, then it would be fairly nearby. Possibly it's indicating a denser part of the stellar cloud?

(A quick peek shows that to have been the one the tetrahedral aliens in Adventure 308 were from. They were selling stolen living paintings from Thar on the Thieves Planet!)

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Emily Sivana #947771 04/19/18 07:30 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Is Bgytzl in another dimension? If so, does it occupy the same space as Earth? My perspective of Bgytzl is the Threeboot one in which they occupied space parallel to each other.

Emily Sivana #947815 04/20/18 03:28 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
RPG Legion Book says that Bgtzl is "an other dimensional world separated from Earth's universe by a vibrational barrier. Although some chronicles have identified Bgtzl as occupying a space parallel to Earth's in another dimension, it is not an alternate universe and was not destroyed in CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS."

Crisis, sorry CRISIS, was recent enough to the writing of the sourcebook that it was still in capitals . smile

Emily Sivana #947822 04/20/18 05:24 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm not sure that makes much sense, though, and shows just how inconsistent DC was over the years with alternate Earths, etc.

Originally, the idea of Earth-1, Earth-2, et al., was that they literally occupied the same space but were made of matter that "vibrated at different rates". This is how the Flashes were able to travel between Earths, via their control over their vibrational frequencies.

Bgztl, however, was in "the fourth-dimension", in a three-space parallel to our own. That's how Phantom Girl's power was supposed to work, being rooted in a whole tradition of late nineteenth/early twentieth century literature that used multi-dimensional geometry as a an explanation for supposed spiritual phenomena such as ghosts. (See also the Phantom Zone, which is apparently based in the same tradition). Tinya doesn't technically pass "through" objects, she passes "around" them by moving in the fourth dimension.

So, it seems like things should work just the opposite of what the RPG suggests.

Emily Sivana #947869 04/21/18 07:24 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
How early in Barry Allen's original Flash run were the alternate Earths established? I thought Legion pre-dated Barry Allen, but a quick search says he debuted in 1956. Regardless, I can see how later writers would consider Bgytzl an alternate Earth, as the Bgytzlians look human. However, Who's Who letter columns from 1985 confirm that Bgytzl is not an alternate earth.

Has anything been revealed about other planets in Bgytzl's dimension?

Emily Sivana #947870 04/21/18 07:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Flash of Two-Worlds was 1961.

Pretty sure Superman and Wonder Woman (and maybe even Batman) had met "alternate Earth" versions of themselves prior to that.

A little googling suggests that Wonder Woman #59 (May 1953) features her visiting an alternate Earth for the first time.

Emily Sivana #947871 04/21/18 07:49 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Of course, visiting worlds in "other dimensions" was a pretty common trope going back to the Golden Age. Bgztl is conceptually very similar to Mister Mxyzptlk's homeworld of Zrfff, except for the latter existing in the "fifth dimension" rather than the "fourth". I've often suspected the lack of vowels was meant to establish a connection between them.

Eryk Davis Ester #947896 04/22/18 03:32 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Bgztl, however, was in "the fourth-dimension", in a three-space parallel to our own. That's how Phantom Girl's power was supposed to work, being rooted in a whole tradition of late nineteenth/early twentieth century literature that used multi-dimensional geometry as a an explanation for supposed spiritual phenomena such as ghosts. (See also the Phantom Zone, which is apparently based in the same tradition). Tinya doesn't technically pass "through" objects, she passes "around" them by moving in the fourth dimension.

So, it seems like things should work just the opposite of what the RPG suggests.

I'd love to explore the concept of a 4-dimensional Tinya and Bgtzl, but she's never really been portrayed that way.

If she was 4 dimensional and not just 'intangible' like Kitty Pryde, she would indeed 'go around' obstacles in the fourth dimension and never be shown phasing through things.

There's also the question of whether or not three dimensional solids are less solid to four dimensional folk (the way tissue paper is 'less solid' than bricks), and a four-dimensional person would be able to tear through 3D matter and barriers with ease, creating the semblance of vast super-human strength. I vaguely recall a DC character named '4D' with that sort of power.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
4-D is an African American woman named Captain Lea Corben, she was given the power to change her dimensions, so that she could become four-, three-, two-, or one-dimensional at will, making her hard to capture and confine. In her own words, she also stated that she had the ability to draw power "from other dimensions and bring it into the Third Dimension" and use it to supercharge the blows she could deal out; she promptly then proved this in battle by knocking out Wonder Woman with a single blow.

Tinya's been basically 'Kitty Pryde' for five decades or so now, so I'm on the fence whether or not I'd want to develop her away from that, at this point. It would be neat, but necessitate some artistic changes. (Her no longer being drawn as passing through stuff, or half in and out of something, since she's going *around* not through.)

That said, Bgtzl has been sorely underdeveloped, with even the late and unlamented 'Threeboot' probably having explored it as much as entire previous decades of characterization. Is it a single world, co-terminus with Earth? Is there an entire Bgtzl-verse on 'the other side,' with it's own sun, moon, solar system, perhaps even galaxies, with Bgtzl-verse alien races, Bgtzl-verse Green Lanterns, a Bgtzl-verse Legion of Super-Heroes? (I kind of hope not. It would be weird for that to have never been mentioned, if so, and could lead to weirdness, like multi-powered characters like a Bgtzln Durlan or Titanian or Daxamite crossing over, which, IMO, would make Tinya quite a bit less special...)

There's also the question of whether or not *all* Bgtzlns can naturally phase like Tinya (or Solon/Phantom Lad, or that space pirate whose name I don't recall), or if the vast majority of them can only cross between Bgtzl and Earth at the dimensional version of a space port, using machines. It would, again, make Tinya a bit more 'special' if not every single Bgtzln can just phase at will between dimensions, and if she's one of a lucky few that can do that without machines.

Honestly, lots of Legion worlds have been under-developed. Has there ever been any sort of historical reference as to when people settled on Titan, or how they turned it into a habitable world, from the smallish lump of ice it seems to be in the 21st century? Ditto Braal, Winath, Cargg, Rimbor, Imsk, Orando, etc., which all seem to be worlds settled by humans from Earth, unlike Colu, Durla and Talokk VIII, which are generally assumed to be 'actual aliens.'

Some, like Titan, Starhaven and Orando, in particular, suggest some pretty wild backstories. (Was Orando, for instance settled *before* spaceflight, by humans who transported themselves there magically, perhaps to escape the decline of magic and medievalism on Earth in a previous millennium? Or was it settled post-spaceflight by the 25th century-ish equivalent of Renaissance Faire enthusiasts who wanted a medieval themed planetary historical recreation/theme park? The answer to that would have a huge impact on how future society would look upon someone like 'Queen' Projectra, her being an actual noble from a magical society that fled Earth 2000-ish years ago, or some Renn Faire cosplayer from a planet of Renn Faire cosplayers...)

Last edited by Set; 04/22/18 03:32 AM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Emily Sivana #947897 04/22/18 08:28 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
My idea of TOS Phantom Girl is not that she herself is 4-dimensional, but that she is a 3-dimensional being that can move in four dimensions.

Here is a 2-dimensional analogy:

Tinya is like a paper doll between the pages of a book. When she interacts with one page, she is on Bgztl. When she interacts with the other, she is on Earth. When she interacts with neither, she is in the Phantom Zone.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #947898 04/22/18 09:05 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Exactly. She's not like a sphere crossing through a plane, but like a circle that can move off the plane.

Eryk Davis Ester #947937 04/22/18 04:14 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
ref. Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by A. Square (Edwin Abbot Abbot)

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Emily Sivana #967652 02/23/19 04:25 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Can we assume from comments made by Mon-El and Superboy that Krypton was close to where Daxam is listed on the map? If I were to comb through Superman books/wikis/eyc references for other planets, can I group everything close to each other?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,550
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires